• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGS -- Windows 10 Game Handheld announced

wanders

New update

6zbXOew.png

Seems like a trustworthy team. I googled some of them and the legal affairs manager has an interesting family https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alimzhan_Tokhtakhunov

Looks like they got lazy towards the end lol

StereoVsn

They can just get their Chinese partner to design a case and Intel to design PCB. Surely, nothing can go wrong here.

jack....

Nadir is pissed

Our dear backers, I have something important to tell you.
Nearly 2 years ago the idea of PGS was born in my mind. I discussed with gamers around the world, discussed with another engineers, I've made hundreds of tests of reference devices. I created a compact team of people to whom I trust. We were driven by one goal and idea. The idea kept clarifying with details, something was added, something removed. I've visited tens of potential investors, the most of them were agree to invest the project only if we develop the device exceptionally on Android and if we significantly raise the cost. Such a perspective didn't satisfy me, I wanted to create not just a high quality device but also an affordable one, for many people could buy it, its cost would be fair and the device would have groundbreaking features. That's why we've come to Kickstarter.
This funding platform isn't a goldmine for us, Kickstarter is a tool which is intended for the people all over the world to invest in creating the future and the truly revolutionary products.
I'd like to say thank you to all of you who believe us, who also think that the future of portable devices will be driven by such things as PGS. The future is being built by your hands.
Now a word for those who don't trust us and maliciously trying to humiliate and insult our project.
Cancel your pledges and disappear please, this project is a clear SCAM. Isn't that what you think? We don't need any cent from you. Later, if we manage to release the prototype in time, do not return to our project. Cause anyway it's a SCAM for you and the prototype is nothing else but the case from 3D printer and the internals from another finished devices. After the campaign ends and some time passes, our YouTube channel will show the prototype based on a custom PCB. At that time do not make a preorder, don't give it a like, you just close the page and go away. At the beginning of the next year, when the backers will get the first devices and when the device starts selling on Amazon, do not buy it. It won't be that device you want to see and, by the way, it will be a fake.
During these 7 days, day after day, instead of helping our guys developing the prototype, I keep convincing you, explaining, again and again convincing the skeptical ones. I'll remind, if you have just a bit of disbelief, feel free to cancel your pledge. You can play games on PS Vita and 3Ds (by the way, these are cool devices), at least you can play on Android portable devices, do not believe and do not wait the PGS.
Even if after this post all backers go away and the campaign fails with 0 dollars, anyway we will finish and release the PGS. We will do it because we believe in PGS.
That's all I had to say.

Nadir is pissed

Holy shit! I know he's trying to be passive aggressive but that really does come off as a confession.

I've visited tens of potential investors, the most of them were agree to invest the project only if we develop the device exceptionally on Android and if we significantly raise the cost. Such a perspective didn't satisfy me, I wanted to create not just a high quality device but also an affordable one, for many people could buy it, its cost would be fair and the device would have groundbreaking features. That's why we've come to Kickstarter.

Yeah, start small with an established platform, like GPD did and now they're onto bigger and better things. Those investors were being realistic with you because your not being realistic with them.

High Performance / High Affordability / High Quality --- Pick two, you can't have three.

Even if after this post all backers go away and the campaign fails with 0 dollars, anyway we will finish and release the PGS. We will do it because we believe in PGS.
That's all I had to say.

This guy is completely out of touch. That $100k has no relation to any of the cost needed to bring this device to the market. It's just a nice round figure to justify his own "success" and his own delusions will fuel the rest of the journey.

Gr8one

image.png

Just FYI, that guy helped make this:

and is currently making this:

and might go to Kickstarter with this:

5Ky8h8q.png

Found his latest comment really fascinating. I'm a big fan of Evil Dragon, I was one of the lucky ones to receive one of the first 2000 Pandoras and I adminred how he dealt with Craig Rothwell's mess afterwards (he reminds me a lot of PGS... be hilarious if he's on the team secretly). I preordered the Pyra without much thought as he probably the most open and honest person in the open sauce handheld scene. He knows his shit and if he's openly questioning the viability of the project in the kickstarter comments then you know PGS has done fucked up.

edit: beaten, like Nadir on the kickstarter comments

Gr8one

That GPD Win is looking mighty tasty right now

Even more tasty now that they have announced replacing the z8500 with either the z8700 or the z8750. Making the PGS nearly redundant (I read mention of support for dual boot X86 Android too on the dingoonity forums a while back), also GPD has units sent out to testers now which will probably not happen for at least a few years, if ever, with PGS.

MJPIA

They got a community manager who is more polite than the original guy who apologized to backers in the comments.
@Biju Varghese
As for the frontal camera, we haven't decided yet, but it is clear that the main camera will be Sony IMX258 with 13 megapixels.
More updates.
Dear Backers, as you probably know, our device is equipped with an additional multifunctional HD-display, which can be used in various applications of Windows 10 environment to show all necessary information. It has almost no limits in use and possible scenarios depend only on your fantasy and imagination.

Our additional display uses a Windows 10 technology, which allows users to show additional information on a secondary display, thus you won’t face any limitations or problems with this process. It can be a web-browser page, a video player, an application, which you use day by day or even a page with current stock exchange quotations. Such functionality is really useful, because you just need to touch one of displays and it becomes active and ready for work.

But the most important thing about the additional display is hidden in the gaming process:

• Imagine that you are solving a very hard game episode or you face some problems with one of such episodes. Here you are, just open a game guide with additional information on the secondary screen and continue to play in comfort, without wasting time for unnecessary actions.

• The additional display can also be used as a virtual keyboard for game chatting or any other text input. We know that if any full screen Direct X application is launched on the main display, the standard variant of Windows 10 environment doesn’t support virtual keyboards on additional display. We knew that and we will give you such functionality by using specially developed software.

• Many gamers prefer strategies, old RPGs, which were mainly created for computer mouse control. And now we have more good news for you, because the additional display of our console can serve as a touchpad. You can just move your finger all over the display and the mouse cursor will follow all your movements, making your gaming process even more comfortable.

• Nintendo dual-screen game lovers can also be happy now, because all their emulators are supported by our console, allowing you to play games with fully functional gameplay on both screens of the console as in the original device.

For our team, the additional display is not just another nice feature in addition to the functionality of our console, but a main part of it, which was created to perform specific actions and tasks and provide maximum comfort and proper controlling options for gamers. We tried to consider all possible game controlling scenarios from all over the industry in our portable device, because we really understand the importance of adequate conditions of gaming process of your favorite game project.

Hurray, the 5th additional goal has been reached. Which means that everyone who has reserved the PGS Hardcore version, is free to choose the matrix type for additional device display: E-ink or IPS.
Just now occurred to me, you can't put a protective case on the top screen without loosing the ability to move it and that top screen is thin.
No matter how careful we are we all drop our devices from time to time.
You drop it and it falls in such a way it hits the edge of the top screen first and the results won't be pleasant.

MJPIA

They realized how dumb that was a while back and removed that goal.
More comments from the community manager guy.
Alec Arzh about 1 hour ago

@Andrea
Yes, the E-Ink will work in Windows as an additional display, the screen refresh rate will be lower, but this is quite enough to watch a video and internet surfing.
@Brian Asiansensation Prampetch
Thank you for your advices Brian. We have plans on various accessories for the device, so we do consider protective cases and spare batteries.
These are future plans, but first we want to develop the device to the perfect state and consider your suggestions. Only after that our work on accessories may start.
@Manlio Leo
The main feature of E-ink display is an extremely low power consumption, the static screen image may be displayed for a long time, without power supply. The power consumes only when the screen image changes.
@Marian Zorrilla
Apollo Lake chipset will be on next generation of PGS.
Many Android games have a native support of a Gamepad, for those games that don’t have such support, there are special applications which are in free access in Play Store.
@Jeff Ho
Thanks for the kind words Jeff. We are all aiming to one goal - the most progressive portable console, created by gamers for gamers. I would be so excited to take it in my hands and play classical PC bestsellers, as well as masterpieces from NES, SNES, PSP. I hope the right holders will not notice this message :)
A 4.5" color E-ink panel with a refresh rate high enough to watch a video.
That does not sound cheap.
Hoping the link works, panelooks list of 4.5" color E-ink screens.
http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php?st=&pl=&sizes[]=4.5&brand_family=EINK
They show 1 at 320x234 with 3 different setups that is discontinued.
There may be more screens available that their site doesn't list, I'm gonna ask pgs later to see if they even have a screen in mind or if they are just winging it as usual.

Even more tasty now that they have announced replacing the z8500 with either the z8700 or the z8750. Making the PGS nearly redundant (I read mention of support for dual boot X86 Android too on the dingoonity forums a while back), also GPD has units sent out to testers now which will probably not happen for at least a few years, if ever, with PGS.
It looks really good and GPD has produced a well received device in the past. I'm not sure how they have the cost so low but I'll be buying one on release. Which should be later this year!

MJPIA

The final specs of E-ink display will be clear after we decide it with suppliers. We'll inform you later.
It is known that E-Ink is mostly suitable for images that refresh with low rate, i.e. for virtual keyboard, some static images, fields with macros-buttons in games. The refresh rate of the display is 1 (+- some values when we decide about actual matrix) per second.
They really did decide to implement a E-ink screen without deciding what they will use beforehand.
Our dear backers, we invite you to participate in the voting about what buttons layout you would prefer. You may find it on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages. You may just give a "like" (thumb up) to images corresponding to your preferred selection. We will implement the version which gains the highest amount of "likes".
Thank you.
https://www.facebook.com/pgs.lab
Open poll across those 3 sites to choose which layout with the most likes winning.
They better hope 4chan or some other site doesn't see this.
I totally did not like both of them.

Already knew this but if they are contemplating changing where one stick is then they really really really don't have even the slightest design drawn up.
Considering how far that top screen is supposed to slide having that retractible stick that close might not even be physically possible with whatever linkage will be used.

Gr8one

They really did decide to implement a E-ink screen without deciding what they will use beforehand.

Already knew this but if they are contemplating changing where one stick is then they really really really don't have even the slightest design drawn up.
Considering how far that top screen is supposed to slide having that retractible stick that close might not even be physically possible with whatever linkage will be used.

They really are just winging it. No clear plan or direction for the handheld other than a render and the morons are eating it up. A fool and his money... It's going to be a fun ride watching this kickstarter in the coming months.

I just can't envision a situation where they don't run out of funds. If they had priced it a few hundred dollars more this project would have been a bit more believable, but with PGS continuing to show a complete lack of firm planning and design shows that they likely drew the price out of a hat, or worse used Chinese tablets as a pricepoint. I mean I don't offer up a price for anything without a very clear picture of the components needed, price estimates from suppliers based on order quantity, and clear projections on the cost of developing the PCB and case. Also those analog sticks are going to bury them.

The R&D on everything they are promising is going to burn through their backer funding and they won't have enough left over to purchase all the components let alone manufacture the handheld.

In terms of design I can't see any design being very comfortable for long play sessions. This whole kickstarter pisses me off as backer money could have been better spent on the GPD, or Pyra, or if they want to give away money and there was the Games Done Quick just this past week.

Planet

The R&D on everything they are promising is going to burn through their backer funding and they won't have enough left over to purchase all the components let alone manufacture the handheld.
I think the general consensus here is they will be perfectly fine burning through that money without any R&D...

The Kickstarter rules are simple but cruel. If they fail to meet bonus items for higher tiers like t-shirts or concept art or anything (didn't bother to look up exactly what), they are screwed and lose all their money. But if they manage these and are creative enough with excuses why the main project failed, they are fine.

MJPIA

Alec Arzh

@Andrea
Yes, the E-Ink will work in Windows as an additional display, the screen refresh rate will be lower, but this is quite enough to watch a video and internet surfing

Alec Arzh about 11 hours ago

@Circle Chen
Speaking about the 2nd screen, you are absolutely right, the E-Ink frame rate is low and not sufficient for watching videos and other rapidly changing graphics. So we give backers an option to select either IPS or E-Ink for the 2nd display.
As for your second question, yes, we are planning to produce more powerful and hence more expensive device, but it will be the next generation of PGS as we need better understanding of the current market situation and larger investments.
Thanks for your comments.
okay
Todd Turner about 4 hours ago

@Alec @PGS
I will have to mirror MJPIA's concern on how the sliding screen might prohibit the placement of the retractable sticks to the upper part of the controller for either Xbox style or (as someone suggested) Wii U style. To be perfectly honest, I think going with a flat sliding pad like the Lite version, GDP Win, PSP, or 3DS would be the best way to go. The engineering required to make the sticks retract mechanically with the screen is going to take up room and require designing the PCB to fit around it. This makes it far more complex. Plus durability would still be an issue for moving parts. And what happens when the mechanism inevitably jams? Don't get me wrong, I think the retracting sticks look cool, but practicality and simplicity come first and foremost.
Alec Arzh about 2 hours ago

@Todd Turner
We understand that using telescopic retractable sticks may be an issue. But only in case it turns out to be impossible technically we may give up with this idea. And instead using a mechanism similar to 3Ds. Until that we'll try hard to implement the retractable mechanism.

BTW meet Alan Williams aka Kostas Valov aka Kostas Lucky

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1083332415062142&set=ecnf.100001561807055&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/kostas.valov?fref=ufi
https://new.vk.com/id261598200
Not the one who found him but it was someone who wishes to remain anonymous.
Anyone care to try to track down the rest of the team?

Gr8one

okay

BTW meet Alan Williams aka Kostas Valov aka Kostas Lucky

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1083332415062142&set=ecnf.100001561807055&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/kostas.valov?fref=ufi
https://new.vk.com/id261598200

So he's an actor/model.. not a community manager (lol). I tried to give them the benefit of doubt and think they were fools with good intentions but this makes it clear this is just a scam. Fuck these guys.

MJPIA

So he's an actor/model.. not a community manager (lol). I tried to give them the benefit of doubt and think they were fools with good intentions but this makes it clear this is just a scam. Fuck these guys.
People waaaay in over their head was my original thought especially considering they seemed to at least somewhat know what they were talking about and they threw around some part numbers but he's not who he is supposed to be so any of the practically nonexistent trust I had in them is now gone.
I still kinda think this isn't a scam but rather people way in over their heads though.
I'm fairly certain that is enough to get the campaign going by the
Misrepresentation or failure to disclose relevant facts about the project or its creator
bit in kickstarters faqs but there's 19 days left so I'm gonna wait for now and see what else they come up with or say in the comments before doing anything or reporting them or whatever I decide.

I love this thing! It's such a fucking trainwreck. PLEASE DO NOT REPORT THIS PROJECT! I need to see where it goes from here!

12801614_1083332415062142_1868075772347765334_n.jpg

Thanks for that info!

I've always suspected that their pitch video was filmed in a university computer lab or something because if you go to 27 seconds into their pitch video they have one of those little bins for scrap paper that you use to write down a book's call number. Can anyone tell us what that sign in the background says or what's written on that pillar behind him?

What is this? Where can I find more info?

It's called the RetroPi, basically a Pi and a Retrode all in one. It should be really cool but it's sad to see that scams like PGS will make it harder for the creators of real hardware to get their projects off the ground.

I love this "project" . Its got everything, fake kickstarter goals, technically ignorant staff, actors misrepresenting themselves as company employees. It's wonderful.

I want this to actually succeed as a KS. Just to see the vitriol that gets thrown at these idiot stammers when they fail to deliver anything at all. Hope they all have a getaway plan and haven't used their real names so far.

Gr8one

Here's a little discussion of his acting and him sharing the PGS youtube link in the conversation. I wonder if this guy even knows he is Alan Williams?

wUfKgvg.png

MJPIA

Ah hell this project was too good to be true, questionable with much fluff and little substance and over a 1000 people decided to back this instead of the GPD win.
At risk of sounding callous the people who backed it aren't my responsibility so I'm not gonna report it and am just gonna go along for the ride wherever it ends.

I wish I could read the first half of that thing on the post below the wifi symbol.
something 3 or 4 words long-turbos

Now that I think about it the investor that registered the pgs llc in the US has a Russia office.
Might be a start to look into it.

Gr8one

That pgs logo looks shopped on to that mouse pad too.

#TeamCG

It's from the Kickstarter video shoot, you can tell by the lights they have set up. Doesn't look like an office either, maybe university computer lab?!? So 2 of "PGS Team" are actors, who wants to put some money down that the "Japanese" hardware engineer Sergei Kirimov is in a Russian metal band?

Yazuka

It's called the RetroPi, basically a Pi and a Retrode all in one. It should be really cool but it's sad to see that scams like PGS will make it harder for the creators of real hardware to get their projects off the ground.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, its a shame. Goddamn scammers.

MJPIA

I wonder if Michael Shariff and his investor firm Inventa capitol, who registered PGS llc in Detroit, how involved they are in this?
They have a office in Michigan and Moscow Russia.
Michael Shariff was born as Mikhail Shariff in Russia and asides from being an lawyer he is an actual investor who has done other legitimate endeavors.
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/steak-escape-expands-russia
“From America with love,” says Steak Escape franchisee, Michael Shariff when asked about his new franchise endeavor in Russia.

Escape Enterprises Ltd. of Columbus, Ohio, along with partners Michael Shariff, Mikhail Romanov, and the Sherwood Group, have signed a deal with Escape Enterprises to introduce the Steak Escape brand in Russia. The plans are to start with 20 stores and grow from there.
Shariff who was born in Russia, is also a successful business owner and trademark attorney in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. When he first moved to the U.S. in 1995, he spent a number of years in the food service industry where he developed his expertise in casual dining, fast casual, and fast food concepts.
I think I'll just send an basic email simply asking if they are involved with the kickstarter and see what they say.

StereoVsn

Ah hell this project was too good to be true, questionable with much fluff and little substance and over a 1000 people decided to back this instead of the GPD win.
At risk of sounding callous the people who backed it aren't my responsibility so I'm not gonna report it and am just gonna go along for the ride wherever it ends.

I wish I could read the first half of that thing on the post below the wifi symbol.
something 3 or 4 words long-turbos

Now that I think about it the investor that registered the pgs llc in the US has a Russia office.
Might be a start to look into it.
WiFi sign is just that. The other words basically say "Please keep quiet".

Top Bottom