• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasian Productions & Absolute Zero fan-translate Tales of Destiny Director's Cut

Firestorm

Cless (cress2000 here), throughhim413, gogs, Kajitani-Eizan and Carnivol are working on doing a fan translation of Tales of Destiny Director's Cut! Read the two newsposts on their respective sites:

http://www.tales-cless.org/
http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/happy-new-year/

They've been working on it for months it seems but at a very relaxed pace as they've concentrated on their other projects (Innocence for AZ, Phantasia for PP).

I need to figure out a way to softmod my PS2.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Always awesome to see others step in whenever Scamco Homewreck ever fail to do their jobs. Absolute Zero's involvement is encouraging. Phantasian's, on the other hand, is not.

This still kind of leaves the question of whether anyone's ever going to take a crack at ToD2 or ToR. I hope so!

Mejilan said:
Phantasian's, on the other hand, is not.

I think part of the reason throughhim413 regrets the way the ToP shit went down is that now people feel compelled to make these kinds of pointless snap judgments.

duckroll

charlequin said:
This still kind of leaves the question of whether anyone's ever going to take a crack at ToD2 or ToR. I hope so!

It's probably way easier to do ToDr first though. It's more familiar, there's actual english source material and a translation to at least base it on. People are probably not aware, but 8-4 puts a ton of effort into Tales translations that usually go beyond translating the text. There are lots of terms of stuff that are localized or newly made up with the help of the original developers, just so it sounds right/better in english. It's a lot of work.

Here I think they're largely going on the next logical step after ToP, which is the ToD remake. Even then, I think it'll be a long and hard project, because there are many skits and stuff to take into account, and generally much more text than ToP or the original ToD. ToR and ToD2 are even larger games, so to do those from scratch would probably be less practical for people that are basically doing it for free in their spare time.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
charlequin said:

I think part of the reason throughhim413 regrets the way the ToP shit went down is that now people feel compelled to make these kinds of pointless snap judgments.
I think the Tales Cless team has some work on a ToD2 translation if you look at there project page, but most likely anything they had would get tossed out.

BluWacky

Buggrit! I'm midway through the original remake (not Director's Cut) and now I have even less incentive to continue!

Have Phantasian ever finished a translation? I swear their Phantasia PSX project has been going for as long as I've been interested in Tales games, which is since Eternia...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BluWacky said:
Buggrit! I'm midway through the original remake (not Director's Cut) and now I have even less incentive to continue!

Have Phantasian ever finished a translation? I swear their Phantasia PSX project has been going for as long as I've been interested in Tales games, which is since Eternia...
Phantasian, no. But Absolute Zero takes like 6 months on a project. Most likely, Phantasian is going to handle the script, Absolute Zero the hacking.

xemumanic

I was thinking of making a thread about this but didn't. Funny thing about it was, I was wondering why no one had attempted to translate this one the day before they announced it. With Absolute Zero working on this, I'm more confident that this will be completed sometime before my one year old goes to school. :lol

Mejilan

charlequin said:

Snap judgment? Mine is 8 years in the making.
If I wanted to spend my whole life waiting for a Tales of translation, I'd go back to waiting for Scamco Homewreck.

;p

cress2000

charlequin said:

We've been working on ToD2 for awhile. I actually put out a pre-alpha menu patch last summer (a complete and better one still to come). But a few new translators just recently signed on--two of them working on the dialogue script, and the other I asked to finish off the menu translation. The one working on the menu translation said she'd be interested in ToR's menus when she's done with the ToD2 stuff...let's hope she delivers! If ToD and ToD2 are any indication, ToR should be a piece of cake for me to hack, too.

BluWacky said:

It should be done within the next couple months, seriously! We started picking up speed in mid 2007. The translation's done, and all the crucial technical stuff is out of the way. Script editing just finished its first draft, all that remains is polishing the text until we think it's perfect, adding a couple more technical enhancements, and beta testing.

Drkirby said:
Phantasian, no. But Absolute Zero takes like 6 months on a project. Most likely, Phantasian is going to handle the script, Absolute Zero the hacking.

It's the other way around, dude. ;) Absolute Zero's just a translator, throughhim413. I'm the hacker.

Mejilan said:
If I wanted to spend my whole life waiting for a Tales of translation, I'd go back to waiting for Scamco Homewreck.

;p

I'm really trying shed this image, seriously. :(

Mejilan

cress2000 said:

All humor aside, I really respect the things you guys (translation scene) do for the rest of us betrayed fans. I'm definitely looking forward to your ToP release. Absolute Zero's was nice, but I caught more than a few typos/oddly worded phrases...

I figure, anything that's been cooking in the oven as long as yours, must be good. Either that, or the much more likely vaporware scenario. Clearly yours isn't vaporware, though.

Good luck! :)

Edit - On another note, you guys still have the leg up on Namco.
8+ years for a fully-featured product, or
Never-ending wait for a product with cut content...

Yazus

I posted this while ago in the ToH topic (since as a Junior Member i can't open new threads)

Back on topic, Awesome! Too bad that i bought the non DC version *blood cry*

Well when the translation will be out i'll import the DC version.

Rpgmonkey

This is pretty cool. Don't know if I'll use it myself (especially since I don't have the DC version of ToDPS2), but these are nice when Namco won't do it. :(

Always thought it was strange how Team Destiny's games never got a "The Best" edition (or at least a permanent price drop at the online import stores) since Destiny 2, and are the same price as when I bought them quite a while ago, but both Symphonia PS2 and Abyss got one...

cress2000 said:
We've been working on ToD2 for awhile.

You know, you'd think I'd remember that. :lol I think I blanked on the fact that you had decided to pursue a full translation rather than just a menu patch.

Mejilan said:
rimshot7gq342.gif

Kyoufu

Sweet, hopefully more people can enjoy this game too. I'll probably re-visit it in English if I can figure out how to soft-mod my PS2.

lordmrw

Did they fix the horrible encounter rate in the Director's Cut? I played through the original Destiny back in, christ 99 or so, and tried again 2 years ago and couldn't do it. If that major issue (for me at least) is resolved, I'll gladly jump back in.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
cress2000 said:
We've been working on ToD2 for awhile. I actually put out a pre-alpha menu patch last summer (a complete and better one still to come). But a few new translators just recently signed on--two of them working on the dialogue script, and the other I asked to finish off the menu translation. The one working on the menu translation said she'd be interested in ToR's menus when she's done with the ToD2 stuff...let's hope she delivers! If ToD and ToD2 are any indication, ToR should be a piece of cake for me to hack, too.

It should be done within the next couple months, seriously! We started picking up speed in mid 2007. The translation's done, and all the crucial technical stuff is out of the way. Script editing just finished its first draft, all that remains is polishing the text until we think it's perfect, adding a couple more technical enhancements, and beta testing.

It's the other way around, dude. ;) Absolute Zero's just a translator, throughhim413. I'm the hacker.

You can Shed that image by having ToDr out by the end of the decade. Or at the very least ToP.

Kyoufu

lordmrw said:
Did they fix the horrible encounter rate in the Director's Cut? I played through the original Destiny back in, christ 99 or so, and tried again 2 years ago and couldn't do it. If that major issue (for me at least) is resolved, I'll gladly jump back in.

Its not thaaaaaat bad but its still frustrating when you're in a dungeon trying to figure out where the hell to go.

Never played the original though so I don't know what the difference is.

cress2000

Meijlan said:
I figure, anything that's been cooking in the oven as long as yours, must be good.

I don't know if it's realistically possible to make a game look like it's had nine years of work put into it, but we're truly trying to deliver something awesome. At the very least, we've added a few nice little things to the game that weren't originally there. And also, EVERY voice clip that isn't a grunt and doesn't already have accompanying text is going to be subtitled (not just the skits).

By having an English major to handle the main editing, we're doing all we can to naturalize the writing, give everyone a distinct and consistent speaking style, and keep typos/spelling/grammar errors to a minimum. Our attempt at a professional-grade localization, minus the dub (actually, I'd love to have a dub option. But with the difficulty of implementation and the apparent high cost of even decent actors, it just ain't happening).

Drkirby said:
You can Shed that image by having ToDr out by the end of the decade. Or at the very least ToP.

(My) Phantasia will definitely happen...with the bases all covered now, I'm more confident than ever about that. :p

ToD DC should have its menu patch out shortly after that. However, I can't guarantee the full one that quickly. Destiny DC's script is a lot larger than Phantasia PS1's. We're going to want to have it double-checked by another translator to ensure it's accurate, and have an English major with writing skills edit it. It'll need a lot of care; we don't want to rush it.

Top Bottom