• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Nova slated for release November 27th

DJIzana

As per the official PSO2 Twitter page.

https://twitter.com/sega_pso2/status/492927732888514561

Btc7KQkCEAE01Z-.jpg

Shojx

Sega can't even get it together when it comes to PSO2, much less this spin-off.

And yet, I feel like we have a higher chance of getting this than PSO2.

Although 0.2% isn't much higher than 0.1%. ;'(

Seriously though, I still feel like we'll see this Vita game eventually.

Hopefully Sony picks up the slack.

I'd hate for something as vile as that Tales remake to represent the totality of Shahid's #jrpgvita efforts.

Ravidrath

Just curious, but...

Has anyone ever asked Atlus about localizing Sega games for the U.S., now that they're owned by Sega?

This is a Vita game we're talking about here. :(
I can't see Sony greenlighting a big-budget exclusive like Mercenaries or Golden Abyss ever again, but hopefully stuff like Tales and Grim Fandango are signs that they'll continue to throw us modestly-budgeted bones as Vita's future release schedule thins out.

Plus, I can't imagine that Sony didn't have something to do with surprise localizations like Project Diva and One Piece...

In the year that Activision and Bungie release a HD PSO with first person shooting and make billions, Sega are keeping this and the true sequel to PSO hidden away on the other side of the planet.

I'll guess we'll get the latest shit installment of Sonic here though, lucky us!

Nice one Sega.

I can't see Sony greenlighting a big-budget exclusive like Mercenaries or Golden Abyss ever again, but hopefully stuff like Tales and Grim Fandango are signs that they'll continue to throw us modestly-budgeted bones as Vita's future release schedule thins out.

Plus, I can't imagine that Sony didn't have something to do with surprise localizations like Project Diva and One Piece...

If Sony isn't willing to spend money making Vita games, they should just make effort localizing stuff from people who do make them. It just has so much benefit at this point:
1. Localizing games is muuuuch cheaper than building their own from scratch.
2. Sony has better source material to work with, people know Digimon, God Eater and Phantasy Star, less risky than new IP on their handheld.
3. Vita is still getting games, doesn't matter if it's Japan/RPG heavy, it's actually its selling point in this stage.
4. Namco/Sega/etc aren't gonna say no to more global exposure for their franchises.

It's win for the 3 parties involved: Sony has Vita games to sell, 3rd parties get outside Japan, fans have more games.

You guys are asking sega to localise a vita game. They don't even localise pc games at this point (pso 2)

I'm actually asking Sony lol.

If Sony isn't willing to spend money making Vita games, they should just make effort localizing stuff from people who do make them. It just has so much benefit at this point:
2. Sony has better source material to work with, people know Digimon, God Eater and Phantasy Star, less risky than new IP on their handheld.
3. Vita is still getting games, doesn't matter if it's Japan/RPG heavy, it's actually its selling point in this stage.
4. Namco/Sega/etc aren't gonna say no to more global exposure for their franchises.

It's win for the 3 parties involved: Sony has Vita games to sell, 3rd parties get outside Japan, fans have more games.

I'm actually asking Sony lol.

Lol but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Famassu

It's cheaper than localizing a game, but that's not an automatic road to profits at all if the game fails to sell more than 40-50k copies, especially when marketing & actually producing the physical copies comes into the picture, which are mandatory if they want to sell a decent number of copies.

See: Yakuza franchise. They sell enough copies in Japan to keep cranking out more of those games, so it's obviously profitable in Japan alone and you'd think it'd be a no-brainer to localize each & every Yakuza game since that should just be profits on top of the Japanese sales. Sadly, the games sell like shit so even if it's cheaper than developing a new game, the localizations are still not profitable at all.

Shengar

It's cheaper than localizing a game, but that's not an automatic road to profits at all if the game fails to sell more than 40-50k copies, especially when marketing & actually producing the physical copies comes into the picture, which are mandatory if they want to sell a decent number of copies.

See: Yakuza franchise. They sell enough copies in Japan to keep cranking out more of those games, so it's obviously profitable in Japan alone and you'd think it'd be a no-brainer to localize each & every Yakuza game since that should just be profits on top of the Japanese sales. Sadly, the games sell like shit so even if it's cheaper than developing a new game, the localizations are still not profitable at all.

Yakuza is kinda bad comparison since it's a game with a heavy emphasis on Japanese specific culture that is the Yakuza underworld. Your usual Japanese already have many slang, with underworld lingo thrown into the fray, the localization effort become even more tremendous to take since putting them in english context required a lot of brainstorm. Personally, I don't think Phantasy Star Nova will be this "kind" of game.

Hype'd to the max.
Will be very interesting to see what triAce brings to the table here, since PSO2 already has a ton systems in place. Want to see how they mix it up.

I don't know but I just can't get my hopes up anymore when people like Verendus were saying "yakuza ishin is coming over it is happening" then nothing.

Ridley327

I don't know but I just can't get my hopes up anymore when people like Verendus were saying "yakuza ishin is coming over it is happening" then nothing.

Sega is nothing if not the wildest of wild cards. Who on earth would have thought they would have localized the Project Diva games a few years ago?

sörine

Banned
Sega isn't really in the business of licensing out their IPs, which is why we never see anyone else localize the Yakuza/Shining/etc. stuff anymore.
What ever happened to the Atlus buyout being a possible backdoor to Sega localizations again? I still want Puyo Puyo Tetris.

sörine;122741266 said:
What ever happened to the Atlus buyout being a possible backdoor to Sega localizations again? I still want Puyo Puyo Tetris.

I am just happy atlus didn't region lock p4u and gave persona q an eu date!

Atlus usa is just publishing indie games at the moment.

Tohsaka

sörine;122741266 said:

I wish we would've seen something come of that, but I imagine they have their hands full with all the upcoming Persona games and they're also releasing Tears to Tiara II this fall.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Preordering this when its avail on amazon.jp.

Just hope it scratches the itch that freedom wars didnt seem to do. D: Been wanting to play a Phantasy Star game again too but did not want to get back into PSO2. Am glad this is a proper consumer title and not some F2P one.

sublimit

Banned
Yakuza is kinda bad comparison since it's a game with a heavy emphasis on Japanese specific culture that is the Yakuza underworld. Your usual Japanese already have many slang, with underworld lingo thrown into the fray, the localization effort become even more tremendous to take since putting them in english context required a lot of brainstorm. Personally, I don't think Phantasy Star Nova will be this "kind" of game.

Indeed.The Yakuza series is very dialogue heavy and requires a lot of localization effort.From what i've seen from PSNova i don't think it compares to Yakuza in terms of lines of dialogue.But then again i haven't seen much of PSNova (it's supposed to be an RPG after all) so i could be mistaken.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Its not that as much as its just the massive amount of work required to get the game put together. Translating it isnt an issue. Putting all of that shit into the game is on top of the long and costly process of production with development and testing.

Seeing how the series was going in general with sales its no wonder why they backed off of localizing it further. Since its not worth it to go through all that trouble and cost if only a handful of people are going to pick it up.

As shitty as it is for the fans who have supported it this long, its the reality of the situation unfortunately...

This is true. But is Sega really losing money on the western localizations of Yakuza though? Yakuza shouldn't cost more than those niche JRPG's NISA keeps on localizing (if anything I think those RPG's cost more due to more text to translate), and aren't Atelier/Neptunia games selling much lower than Yakuza did in the west. With that in mind, I don't think Yakuza in the west was losing them money. They wanted it to perform better but when it found its small but true audience, they stopped caring for those extra <100k sales. Sega doesn't know who or how big their fanbase is. The other way round, Western studios do localize their games in Japan even though they don't need those extra <100k in sales when they sell millions in the west.

But further on Yakuza: Q1/Q2 2014 was the perfect time to release Ishin in the west, people were looking for any kind of PS4 game, you know it was a huge drought when Tomb Raider DE was the biggest news pre inFamous/Titanfall, seeing this samurai game on the shelves I reckon a lot of people who weren't into the series would've picked it up.

Shengar

Indeed.The Yakuza series is very dialogue heavy and requires a lot of localization effort.From what i've seen from PSNova i don't think it compares to Yakuza in terms of lines of dialogue.But then again i haven't seen much of PSNova (it's supposed to be an RPG after all) so i could be mistaken.
I supposed it wouldn't on the level of Kiseki series, so it wouldn't that hard to pull.
Its not that as much as its just the massive amount of work required to get the game put together. Translating it isnt an issue. Putting all of that shit into the game is on top of the long and costly process of production with development and testing.

Well, I think it's kinda snowballing from there. The heavy-text and dialogue of the series makes the process on putting all of it together become even longer, checking typo and such. For Yakuza (and Kiseki series to some extent) is just plain impractical to localized them due to their emphasis on dialogue and text will put them on long development cycle, not to mention this kind of games is barely a niche in the west.

This is true. But is Sega really losing money on the western localizations of Yakuza though? Yakuza shouldn't cost more than those niche JRPG's NISA keeps on localizing (if anything I think those RPG's cost more due to more text to translate), and aren't Atelier/Neptunia games selling much lower than Yakuza did in the west.
They're definitely cost more than NISA's JRPG, being context heavy and filled with underworld lingo (from various region at that). Localizing isn't a simple translation you know. The more text and/or dialogue heavy a game is, the longer the game will spent on development cycle, and that mean more money involved.

They're definitely cost more than NISA's JRPG, being context heavy and filled with underworld lingo (from various region at that). Localizing isn't a simple translation you know. The more text and/or dialogue heavy a game is, the longer the game will spent on development cycle, and that mean more money involved.

That's what I'm arguing, those RPG games are also text and dialogue heavy, they're as long as Yakuza games, if not longer, and NIS is giving those games English voice overs as well, for niche games there is a lot of effort put into those localizations. I don't expect them to cost less than a localization of Yakuza, I doubt its context heavy text make it that much more expensive.

matmanx1

Good to have a date. I have hopes for this one being a Tri-Ace project. The icing on the cake would be a localisation but I am not holding my breath.

Top Bottom