• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Nova TGS 2013 trailer (Tri-Ace)

TreIII

Combat looks like fun, as expected from tri-Ace!

I'll wait for the announcement of a Nova Vita bundle before I purchase a Vita at long last.

Thumbs down.

I will never accept the fact that Phantasy Star will never return to it's roots, although I know it's true. I can't be the only person who just wants an old school Phantasy Star.

I didn't like any of that. I was hoping for a good old rpg.

Sup.

Coiote

Every game on Vita after Killzone Mercenary feels graphically underwhelming. :(

Gameplay looks ace though. Hope they localize it.

I'm interested in seeing more of the game. But they only showed like 15 seconds of gameplay footage at the beginning, it's partially obscured by that text banner at the bottom, and it doesn't really show what's cool or unique about combat. That's the point if you want a Tri-Ace game...

Claneko

Awesome, I love these games. I have more hope that this will make it out over here, but I have to admit that I've given up on PSO2 ever seeing an official English release.

Thumbs down.

I will never accept the fact that Phantasy Star will never return to it's roots, although I know it's true. I can't be the only person who just wants an old school Phantasy Star.

I love the classic series and I wish that SEGA would return to the roots someday. However, I also love PSO, PSP2 and PSO2 so I'm completely hyped for Phantasy Star Nova.

You can like more than one thing.

Thumbs down.

Sup.
Yeah, I don't care for the post-PSO Phantasy Star universe either.

The fact we'll never get a traditional PSV is part of it, though I just can't find the PSO+ Phantasy Star art direction appealing. The whole plastic clothing, grid-laced jumpsuits and hexagon plated armor. If someone who knew nothing about this series stepped in and looked at modern PS artwork, then the classic PS artwork from the original 4, they probably would never guess it's all part of one collective universe.

Hey, people wanted PSO2 with an offline mode for the VITA. Now you have it. In fact I would be pissed if it deviated too much or vastly improved on the F2P MMO seeing how many hours people have put into the game.

Makes sense this game would be made with specific intention to draw players to PSO2.

Videoneon

Looks glorious. And there's also Miyuki Sawashiro so it's even better.

On that note, does anyone know who the first two VA's are? pls and thx

Yep, looks like a portable version of PSO 2 with a palette swap. I'm not surprised.

These comments are sort of disheartening, seeing as PSO2 had Vita version. I'm not familiar with Phantasy Star (classic, online, or universe) but to see that a ton of staff are working on this game and there's not too much creativity is lame. This is Sega X Tri-S, too.

Then again, we barely saw any of the combat, and we don't have in-depth info on any special systems. I'll wait some more

edit: I agree, the character designs are lame

Lime

Underwhelming for me. And the character designs aren't particularly interesting:

psonovaw5kpo.png

ShinMaruku

I am pleased. If the balance is good and there is no drip feed this game will be perfect. I hope Atlus does the translation.

MilkBeard

Underwhelming for me. And the character designs aren't particularly interesting:

psonovaw5kpo.png

Looks pretty good to me. My point being that as long as they don't look ridiculously goofy, I'm ok. The character designs look somewhat like standard Sci-fi anime fare, but at the same time, that's not a bad thing.

One thing to note is the lack of much actual game footage in that video is a little disappointing. And the video quality is kind of shitty. I know that game is going to look very vibrant on the Vita screen. Also, judging that Tri-Ace is going to use their specially-developed lighting engine, I know that shit is going to make the game look a lot better. Can't really see it in the video.

I had fun once, and it was awful.

In other news, I'm not pleased with the direction of a Phantasy Star game and am voicing that displeasure in a Phantasy Star game thread.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled fun.

It was never going to be a traditional Phantasy Star. And indeed this is drawing off of the new Phantasy Star aesthetic, gameplay, etc. But perhaps there's a chance for this to turn out special. Hopefully more detailed footage later on (and a more developed game) will reveal one with a Tri-Ace twist on modern Phantasy Star, even if it's not likely to live up to the storytelling strength the series once had in the early 90s with PS4. It's currently TBD 2014. Hopefully that means a later 2014 game with time to expand on PSO systems in a compelling fashion.

ash_ag

Atlus will make Phantasy Star V, haven't you heard?
Lol.

Anyway, this looks amazing, but I don't get it. Why is Sega being cool? This is Sega, so, why?

pants

psonovaw5kpo.png

You're going to be really disappointed if you play Tri-Ace games for anything other than battle systems.

Cant wait to play this

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So it's basically like new PSO2 missions?
Maybe graphically it looks like pso2, but nova has some big gameplay changes like something new instead of photons arts, material drops instead of weapon/equip drops and focus on survival.

Another female character showing off a lot of skin, how unexpected.

I hope this game plays well, been revisiting pso lately and for how old it is the gameplay is still up there.

The best thing about this is that it has a better chance of Localization since it isn't an MMO

I would still love to get both though

Midou

Another female character showing off a lot of skin, how unexpected.

I hope this game plays well, been revisiting pso lately and for how old it is the gameplay is still up there.

Well PSO2 plays really well, I would imagine they would use that as a base.

Motoi Sakuraba!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooo!

Was hoping for live instruments, but this sounded fine.

Brass sample sounds a little different than his usual.

A.E Suggs

Well its on vita, I'll keep a look out I guess. Like many others I still want a regular RPG from them but that won't stop me from playing this.

Blueblur1

Maybe graphically it looks like pso2, but nova has some big gameplay changes like something new instead of photons arts, material drops instead of weapon/equip drops and focus on survival.

The characters are performing Photon Arts in the video. They're probably just going to name them something else.

TreIII

that is 100% exact same combat as PSO2, Tri Ace havent done anything

I don't think it's going to be the same thing, even if it does "borrow" more than a couple of things from PSO2 as a base.

For one, as has been noted above, Photon-related stuff is gone and will be replaced with something else. You'll also get material drops instead weapon/armor drops and etc.

I'm thinking that perhaps tri-Ace's PS Nova will do for PSO2 what Alfa Systems' PS Portable series did for Phantasy Star Universe: the "spin off" will likely end up being a better game, due to gameplay changes that end up being to the formula's benefit.

Top Bottom