• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 launches July 4th.

wwm0nkey

Trailer

Frozen-Tundra-450x253.jpg

-New Frozen Tundra Area

Snow-Banshee-450x253.jpg

-Snow Banshee

Mags-3rd-Form-450x397.jpg

MAG's 3rd form
-When your mag reaches beyond level 100, it can evolve into its third form. In addition to the “specialized type” mags consisting of striking, ranged, tech, and ability, it could evolve into a “combined type.”

Time-Attack-Ranking-450x253.jpg

Time Attack and Class Level 40
-A new type of quest has been added! In Time Attack Quests, several gimmicks are laid out across the field. In normal quests, the maps are completely random, but time attack quests have preset maps.
In the first time attack quest, you will run from the forest to the tundra. A new ranking system called “Time Attack Ranking” will also be added to the game. You may receive a medal based on where you place.
You can now reach Level 40 by completing a client order.

Story-Quest-2-3-4-450x253.jpg

Story Quests: Chapters 2, 3, and 4!
-In Chapter 2, Rodeo requests you to head down to learn about the origins of Planet Naberius. In Chapter 3, you and Furie will investigate the creatures on Planet Lillipa.
Chapter 4 takes place on Planet Amduscia. Arks Researcher “Aki” and her assistant “Light” makes a request to cooperate with the Dragon tribes, but the dragons aren’t going to be won over that easy.

More info can be found here

Also be on the look out for the NA/EU announcement as that might happen later this week :)

Can anyone in the beta confirm how this compares to the original PSO? Especially gameplay wise. Also would be interested to know if the soundtrack is by the same composer.

So how does the official launch work with the open beta? Do we just have to download some updates and then badda-bing badda-boom?

wwm0nkey

Can anyone in the beta confirm how this compares to the original PSO? Especially gameplay wise. Also would be interested to know if the soundtrack is by the same composer.
Gameplay is amazing and Soundtack is awesome, if you liked PSO you will LOVE PSO2

So how does the official launch work with the open beta? Do we just have to download some updates and then badda-bing badda-boom?

Yup

I played a bit of the JP open beta, seemed like a pretty fun game. I couldn't get too far in because the language barrier quickly became an issue. Definitely will check out the NA version, or if someone releases an english patch that would be pretty sweet.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It's pretty sweet and feels like PSO to me. There's a Giantbomb quick look if you want to see it yourself

Mesoian

pso2---super-bouncy5mkgz.gif

Kind of interested to see what Sega intends to do here though. There's clearly a NA/EU market for the game, but...honestly it's going to be pretty small. I almost expect them to partner with someone for publishing and localization, I guess the question is, who?

It's the only rational explanation I can think of for not announcing such a high profile game worldwide. But then, this is Sega, and lately they've been anything but rational.

ShaneB

Gameplay is amazing and Soundtack is awesome, if you liked PSO you will LOVE PSO2

This is great to hear. I played the hell out of PSO, but I've kept pretty much in the dark as it pertains to PSO2. I can see the NA release sneaking up on me out of nowhere and really loving the hell out of this. It's f2p as well right? So awesome.

Raide

This is great to hear. I played the hell out of PSO, but I've kept pretty much in the dark as it pertains to PSO2. I can see the NA release sneaking up on me out of nowhere and really loving the hell out of this. It's f2p as well right? So awesome.

Everyone is still waiting for an announcement outside of Japan.

So far PSO2 feels and play like a sequel to PSO2 and not the spinoff feel like PSU. Combat is nice and evolved, sounds and music just ooze PSO. Extended team stuff is great fun, as well as the guilds, player shops etc.

wwm0nkey

Please don't toy with my heart.

Hey I will be just as upset as you but so far there is enough evidence to suggest that the PSO2 announcement will be happening soon and with the PhantasyStar twitter game countdown ending this week its a safe bet to say it will be this week if they do anything.

Also if you didnt hear they are moving the English PSU team over to a new project next month....so there is that too lol

Ianan

I'm really enjoying PSO2 but its been really boring being in the forest area now for hours and I'm level 10. I might have to wait for an English patch before I carry on so I can understand the quests.

Raide

I'm really enjoying PSO2 but its been really boring being in the forest area now for hours and I'm level 10. I might have to wait for an English patch before I carry on so I can understand the quests.

Once you figure out how to unlock the caves and beyond, it gets more fun. Plus when he Urgent Quests appear for the city.

wwm0nkey

You have to speed run that Rappy and 100 point mission, then you unlock a Free Run forest area with the Rockbear boss at the end.

emb

So those that have followed the game more extensively than I... are there rare drops/red boxes at all? Section IDs? Drop charts eventually? Rare enemy variations? I assume we don't know for most of those... but any hint of these things would be nice.

wwm0nkey

With the servers already working VERY well for NA/EU users I wonder how long it will be for them to bring it over here. Translation shouldn't take too long so really they just need to get people for the VA work.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Remember like 12 years ago when Sega release PSO 1 globally within the same three months? Man, that sure was a thing huh.

So whens the NA/EU release date for.... oh. Okay. I see.

massoluk

Banned
With the servers already working VERY well for NA/EU users I wonder how long it will be for them to bring it over here. Translation shouldn't take too long so really they just need to get people for the VA work.

I'm ok with just subtitles, even.

Reknoc

Hm, the level cap is only being raised to 40? That's a tad disappointing (not that I'll reach it any time soon).

reson8or

I'm ok with just subtitles, even.

I am as well, but with any game, the less barriers to entry the (native language) the better for sales.

From what I have heard all the "hooks" are there for release outside Japan, but SEGA will probably wait for the game to generate revenue and turn that back towards overseas versions. Pure speculation on my part, but they are hurting so much financially right now, that may be the best way for them to do it.

wwm0nkey

I am as well, but with any game, the less barriers to entry the (native language) the better for sales.

From what I have heard all the "hooks" are there for release outside Japan, but SEGA will probably wait for the game to generate revenue and turn that back towards overseas versions. Pure speculation on my part, but they are hurting so much financially right now, that may be the best way for them to do it.

I think releasing it in NA/EU as fast as they can would do them wonders for sales since PC gaming is more popular outside of Japan.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think releasing it in NA/EU as fast as they can would do them wonders for sales since PC gaming is more popular outside of Japan.

No, the plan is to aim for the busy holiday or cram packed Q1 2013. These worst plan evers have got us where we are today, and by golly, we're gonna stick to 'em!!

reson8or

Agreed, but I they may not have the capital to do that, especially since it is an unknown if it will be successful or not.

wwm0nkey

Agreed, but I they may not have the capital to do that, especially since it is an unknown if it will be successful or not.
PSU has lasted this long and turned a profit on the 360 and F2P games always bring in a new audience....I think it will be successful lol

No, the plan is to aim for the busy holiday or cram packed Q1 2013. These worst plan evers have got us where we are today, and by golly, we're gonna stick to 'em!!

With a F2P game I don't think it really matters when you launch it and if they put it on Steam (SEGA has a good relationship with Steam/Valve) the date will matter even less lol

Top Bottom