• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis - Xbox Games Showcase Trailer

As a game I will be able to play for free I'm happy . Not sure how much it will take advantage of series x but it looks like I'll be playing this . Been a big phantasy star fan since SMS. Been hoping for a single player game and honestly though we just got it in the USA pso2 is due for a refresh to pso3... The gap between pso and ps universe and ps universe to pso2 were both much smaller.

From the Gematsu article, the game was also announced for the PS4 and Switch (via the cloud), but only in Japan.

Assuming the game remains held hostage by the Windows Store in the West, I'll admit to being disappointed by the potential console exclusivity.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Looks great. PSO2 Is one of those game I have been meaning to play forever and even installed but still haven't.

BlakeofT

Maybe a silly question but... This is a brand new game, right? The name implies expansion, rework or remaster, but the game looks totally new compared to the PSO2 footage that I've seen.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Wait, this is a new game? I'm kinda lukewarm on PS02 and thought this was an expansion. Being a whole new game just kicked up my hype levels.

Maybe a silly question but... This is a brand new game, right? The name implies expansion, rework or remaster, but the game looks totally new compared to the PSO2 footage that I've seen.
From the description text of the game's trailer: "PSO2: NGS is the latest entry in the series, updating PSO2’s game system and graphics engine."

Whoever handles the game's Twitter is also telling people not to worry about their existing characters. PSO2:NGS is likely a big overhaul to the existing game.

BlakeofT

From the description text of the game's trailer: "PSO2: NGS is the latest entry in the series, updating PSO2’s game system and graphics engine."

Whoever handles the game's Twitter is also telling people not to worry about their existing characters. PSO2:NGS is likely a big overhaul to the existing game.
That's pretty exciting then! Maybe I'll try the game out now...

Reallink

The game is bloated and nonsensical to the point of being utterly incomprehensible, inapproachable, and borderline unplayable. The menus, UI, and quest structures have no basis in reason or logic. The game is 10 years old, wholly designed for an unworkable f2p model by 2020 standards. They need to raze it to the ground and start over completely. Bolting an open world map to the existing dumpster fire is a waste of resources, make a boxed retail PSO3 without the bullshit.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
The game is bloated and nonsensical to the point of being utterly incomprehensible, inapproachable, and borderline unplayable. The menus, UI, and quest structures have no basis in reason or logic. The game is 10 years old, wholly designed for an unworkable f2p model by 2020 standards. They need to raze it to the ground and start over completely. Bolting an open world map to the existing dumpster fire is a waste of resources, make a boxed retail PSO3 without the bullshit.
I mean it's hugely successful in Japan

The systems in the game are pretty simple too; little bit of nuance but nothing out of the ordinary for a loot grinder

I mean it's really just
1) Go fight and pick shit up
2) Look at what you got
3) Keep valued items
4) Junk items you look for a way to recycle (Mags, AH, upslotting, etc)

There's not really too much to the game beyond that; it's a PSO title after all
Well, that and cosmetics. Cosmetics are the true end game

McCheese

Only launching in North America and Japan tho.

It's like the Xbox One announcements where they forget the rest of the world is a thing.

Reallink

I mean it's hugely successful in Japan

The systems in the game are pretty simple too; little bit of nuance but nothing out of the ordinary for a loot grinder

I mean it's really just
1) Go fight and pick shit up
2) Look at what you got
3) Keep valued items
4) Junk items you look for a way to recycle (Mags, AH, upslotting, etc)

There's not really too much to the game beyond that; it's a PSO title after all
Well, that and cosmetics. Cosmetics are the true end game

My issue is much more foundational than such a high level reductive overview. PSO was a Diablo clone/derivative. PSO2 is a mobile game built on mini quests, systems on systems on systems, and menu's within 3 layers of nested menus. It needs significant streamlining and a more substantial core structure. That could be another Diablo, something like Borderlands, or something new, but it's definitely not the 50 different types of mobile game quests the current game is built on. Even if this expansion somewhat improves on that aspect, it's not going to fix criminally horrible UI or the decade worth of microtransaction feature creep/bloat.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
My issue is much more foundational than such a high level reductive overview. PSO was a Diablo clone/derivative. PSO2 is a mobile game built on mini quests, systems on systems on systems, and menu's within 3 layers of nested menus. In needs significant streamlining and a more substantial core structure. That could be another Diablo, something like Borderlands, or something new, but it's definitely not the 50 different mobile game quests the current game leans into.
I wouldn't compare Japanese style dungeon crawlers/loot grinders with Western ones so hard
They're in the same ball park, but approached from very differently

The "Systems on systems on systems," sure, maybe, but it's really not complicated
Nothing any different than you would see in previous entries, or say Diablo; weapons, armor, augments for both (Gems, runes, etc), stats, recycle methods (Combining gems, items, etc)
UI has some weird stuff because of the era when it was born, but you only go to like 3-4 menus in the game ever anyways; plus this over haul is probably going to clean up the UI

There's no reason to split your customer base when your current title is doing fine, and is a more fleshed out as an MMO; REALLY bad idea to do in that market

Between that and previous titles the only thing I could really say is that they've leaned heavy on cosmetics; but that shit is just crazy funny

Quests I don't understand; it's always been lobby-quest system. In Episode 4 they revamped the story telling and it's kind of animish now

Carna

Banned
Thank You!

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Wha?

600_479699684.jpeg

Maybe it'll be in the same launcher or just different blocks???
They just dropped it out here...

One thing that turned me off of PSO2 is it just seemed like one boss battle after another with no exploration like the single player games or even the original PSO.

This looks like it'll have an actual world to run around and explore. Is that the case?

nikolino840

I was looking for this reply thankyou

I have started pso2 a couple of days ago and i have almost finished chapter 1 of 4

Wonko_C

Gameplay demonstration from TGS 2020.

I was looking forward to this but now I am not sure if I'll like it. Seems too "Monster Hunter-y" for me, not like PSO/PSO2/PSU at all anymore. Just a huge field with animals to kill for ingredients and plants with fruit, followed by some boss-like monsters with lots of downtime traversing in-between.

I play PSO as a beat 'em up: Just enter a level and kill some monsters then reach the boss at the end. Full non-stop action.

CamHostage

Gematsu has some info on the PSO2 NG release: coming out in June. Xbox One and PC (Steam, Epic Games Store, and Microsoft Store) will be released worldwide on that date, while previously unannounced PS4 and cloud-version (streaming) Nintendo Switch versions will be released only in Japan. (Not sure if its a timed exclusive or a straight regional-exclusive for Xbox?)

There's more about the release and the new content at the link, which I believe mostly came from SEGA's stream about PSO New Genesis Prologue 3. That announcement stream is all dubbed in English (the video also has a little bit of new gameplay footage of Prologue 3,) so watch it if you've been following or are interested in New Genesis.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Gold Member
Gematsu has some info on the PSO2 NG release: coming out in June. Xbox One and PC (Steam, Epic Games Store, and Microsoft Store) will be released worldwide on that date, while previously unannounced PS4 and cloud-version (streaming) Nintendo Switch versions will be released only in Japan. (Not sure if its a timed exclusive or a straight regional-exclusive for Xbox?)

There's more about the release and the new content at the link, which I believe mostly came from SEGA's stream about PSO New Genesis Prologue 3. That announcement stream is all dubbed in English (the video also has a little bit of new gameplay footage of Prologue 3,) so watch it if you've been following or are interested in New Genesis.

Thanks a LOT! :messenger_angry:
Just got me to buy an X off a guy I know. Met him with online friends when us nerds gathered for a metal concert. He has a spare X he hasn't used due to family and was thinking of selling and I need some Phantasy Star in my life. The customization looks great in the new one! Coming out this soon will make the usual summer drought that much more palatable. Looking forward to having all teh systems of now current-gen.

Wonko_C

Simultaneous launch? I hope they let both Global and JP players can play together like it was with the original PSO. I will only be able to play the PS4 version but my friends will be on Xbox and PC.

Top Bottom