• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 - Open Beta |OT| No need to phantasize, IT'S HERE.

LordKasual

Banned
They prioritized costumes and outfits for the race/gender combo that has the most players? Holy shit, stop the presses! /s

Honestly dude, it sounds like you just don't like a japanese game that caters to japanese audiences.

I love japanese games, and i love japanese audiences

i just don't care for weeb ones. Phantasy Star always had some weeb tenancies but it took a backseat to the overall atmosphere and vision of the game.

Even Phantasy Star Universe, that literally modeled its story mode after Anime, was not as bad as PSO2.

PSO2 is literally just Weeb Payday, and no, i was not a fan of it.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

The resolution is so low on Xbox One fat, I swear it looks lower than 720p at times, I could run this game on my 11 year old PC 1080p maxed out no problem. Lack of optimization?

Ceadeus

The game feels like a classic video game. I absolutely love it.

What's cool is that i miss the opportunity to play pso back in the dreamcast, Xbox and GameCube era and now we can enjoy Phantasy Star once again.

I'm so happy Microsoft decided to support this project just like they did back in the PSU days. That's awesome.

Naked Lunch

Easily one of the best games released this entire gen and its getting little to no fanfare around here...ok.

Game is classic Sega blue skies greatness. 8 years of overwhelming content on day one.
It couldnt have dropped at a more perfect time either with everyone being sheltered.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Easily one of the best games released this entire gen and its getting little to no fanfare around here...ok.

Game is classic Sega blue skies greatness. 8 years of overwhelming content on day one.
It couldnt have dropped at a more perfect time either with everyone being sheltered.

People are too worried about the next gen consoles to worry about a game that is more than 8 years old. Even if it is a fantastic product.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It's their loss, really. The game is fantastic and it gladdens my old heart to see it #2 in the top free games ranking in the Store.

It is absolutely fantastic.

I second that!

Not sure on the server everyone plays on, but I do have an alliance on Ship 02: Ur in NA by the name of "Phantasy GAF".

Komatsu

Not sure on the server everyone plays on, but I do have an alliance on Ship 02: Ur in NA by the name of "Phantasy GAF".

I'm currently on Ship 01 but I'd be happy to create a char in Ship 02 if that's where everybody is.

Ymir

Does anyone know why it's asking me to change my privacy settings in order to play the game? I get a message to change my settings or I can't view other people's content and then it puts me back at the title screen.

IGN reviewed the XBone version, gave it a 7

Verdict
Phantasy Star Online 2 is the kind of game you likely already know if you’re interested in before you even play it. Between the ludicrous variety in classes, sheer number of things to do and see, and the slick, refined combat, there is a lot of meat left on these eight-year-old bones. It certainly shows its age in some convoluted ways and lacks an engaging story that can hold your interest, but overall it more than makes up for those shortcomings with some of the most exciting combat that stands out when compared to any action RPG released in recent years.

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a great combat system wrapped up in a bloated and sometimes confusing MMO-lite package that uses its charming anime flair to stand out from the competition.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
PSO2 hits PC next week, on May 27th

Reads the Forbes announcement
>Didn't think to post it here
1306800425618_9194577.png

Been playing the JP version to tide me over until the NAPC release

I'mma play the shit outta this game

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
You find new abilities/skills on the ground as loot drops?
Kiiinnnddd of
You still have a talent tree that gives you new skills to use, but certain spells and stuff yeah you have to either craft or find a drop

The drop rates on them are NOT bad, and you can just craft/buy them if you REALLY need it

I'd say PSO is the pinnacle of grinding; essentially everything you do is moving you towards SOMETHING
Fuck you can even get character titles from chilling and interacting in the ship lobbies

EDIT:
After reading some more impressions of the game, I definitely have to at least check it out. Will pre-load it tonight and hope servers aren't too much of a mess tomorrow.
I'll be playing on Ship 02 out of habit from playing on JP (I'm a noob though). I'm pretty sure I'll throw GAF up an alliance we all can chill in
Just depends on how active I want to get into an MMO these days

Last edited:

kikii

I checked for UK Windows release and getting the same message on the Microsoft store. Quick google indicates it US only I think.
change ur region then to US and click that "...." thingy and add to cart =)
im from Finland and no problems :p

Xeaker

I can only install it on C drive, but I put all my games on D, why can't I change the drive where to install?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I can only install it on C drive, but I put all my games on D, why can't I change the drive where to install?

I found this to get mine installed on D: instead:

TheMan

jesus, I've been downloading these fucking updates for nearly an hour. The "time remaining" indicator has been stuck around 26 mins the entire time. Getting impatient for something I'll probably play for an hour and then not touch again, lol.

Downloading now. If someone makes a GAF clan or whatever they are called in this game, let me know!

Didn't realize this is F2P, will definitely have to check this out then.

From what I read it's pretty decent F2P too. You can pay for convenience but nothing is strictly "pay to win." Someone correct me if I am wrong, though. Just based on an article I read about it

TheMan

Downloading now. If someone makes a GAF clan or whatever they are called in this game, let me know!

From what I read it's pretty decent F2P too. You can pay for convenience but nothing is strictly "pay to win." Someone correct me if I am wrong, though. Just based on an article I read about it

The fat guy on the the giant bombcast was actually complaining a couple of weeks ago that the microtransactions are pretty old school pay to win stuff. Maybe I misunderstood him.

Download taking forever. Gotta think they are getting slammed right now

The fat guy on the the giant bombcast was actually complaining a couple of weeks ago that the microtransactions are pretty old school pay to win stuff. Maybe I misunderstood him.

Oh, damn...maybe I was wrong.

Ok so I keep getting "you cant play with content created by other players, change setting at xbox.com" errors when I launch. I checked my settings and I can't find where to adjust this. I have checked privacy, security etc

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:
Top Bottom