• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Vita Import |OT| Save This World With Your Own Hands, For Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

underkanter

Neo Member
downloading now! =D I went out and bought a new memory card, figured its cheaper than importing with the game being free and all. 50 minutes to go ugh..

Hopefully my sega ID is all set, I seemed to be able to register no problem.

Keylow415

What the hell does this mean i made an sega id and it won't let me in

9AC4CD63-8CF2-430A-BD11-9E747C5BE6F2-931-00000097B4AF603D_zps180807c2.jpg

Reknoc

Think I'll get a new Vita card today. Kinda tempted to import it just in case I can link my UK PSN so I can get the trophies on an account that matters lol

FlyFaster

Man if this was localized for a western release I may just by a Vita to play it. Not sure if my laptop could play it, it's a few years old :(

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ok, I'm online if anyone wants an invite to the team neogaf.
Shoot me on twitter, in-game (player name Keii) or via PM/in this thread.

I played PSU for over 1000 hours so my impression is more of a comparison to the last one...

Game looks fantastic on the Vita. Controls are spot on and you really couldnt ask for more. Having access to your 'mates from the bottom bar by touching is great.

The combat is a bit more intense than the last iteration. Having a dodge/roll button is also nice.

I only made it to level 4. Thankfully my brother has been showing me the ropes of this game instead of just trial/error in the menus.

I still can't figure out how to type messages to people, but I have taken Toro out on some missions with us :)

Well if all goes like I planned I will go out in a hour and buy my 8GB card so I can give some impressions soon. I just have to buy the card quickly...
before I fully realize that I spend 35€ on a memory-card to play a game I can and already have played on my PC that requires me to format my Vita... :(

Well if all goes like I planned I will go out in a hour and buy my 8GB card so I can give some impressions soon. I just have to buy the card quickly...
before I fully realize that I spend 35€ on a memory-card to play a game I can and already have played on my PC that requires me to format my Vita...

It is entirely worth it. I'm convincing my brother to go from PC to Vita because of the convenience and the voice chat.

We used google talk voice last night, but it's a pain having my phone with a cord (headphones) when the vita is so free!

It is entirely worth it. I'm convincing my brother to go from PC to Vita because of the convenience and the voice chat.

We used google talk voice last night, but it's a pain having my phone with a cord (headphones) when the vita is so free!

Well the thing is nobody of my local friends want to play it with me because "it's too Asian influenced and it's Japanese lol" and no matter how much I convince them that it's still entirely possible to play this game even without the English Patch on PC they don't want to =_= On the other hand they gush about Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 releasing next week, talk about double-standards...

Though I guess maybe I can use the Vita version also for some local multiplayer whenever someone is over, oh well I'm out getting that card.

ezodagrom

I might as well post this here, the list of labels for PC and Vita shared blocks:
B201 and B202 - Beginner
B203 to B205 - Normal Mode
B206 to B208 - Hard Mode
B209 to B211 - Very Hard Mode
B212 - Time Attack Mode
B213 and B214 - Advance Quests
B215 - Solo Block
B216 - Chat Block
B217 and B218 - Free Style Blocks

Is there a block where primarily English players gather? I've been playing with the English patch on PC, so having everything being in Japanese again will take some getting used to. I can't tell what weapon abilities are anymore :(

On the plus side, they've done a fantastic job cramming all the controls onto the Vita, something I was concerned about. Also the game looks and runs great, seems like a high quality port.

Is there a block where primarily English players gather? I've been playing with the English patch on PC, so having everything being in Japanese again will take some getting used to. I can't tell what weapon abilities are anymore :(

On the plus side, they've done a fantastic job cramming all the controls onto the Vita, something I was concerned about. Also the game looks and runs great, seems like a high quality port.

I know ship 2 is where most of the English speakers are, but i couldn't tell you more than that

I know ship 2 is where most of the English speakers are, but i couldn't tell you more than that

Hmm if things are like always it should be Ship 2 Block 20 :)

ezodagrom

There's no primary block chosen yet, but in my opinion B218 should be the chosen block, since it's one of the free style blocks.

ezodagrom

How does Phantasy Start Portable on the PSP hold up? Thinking of picking that up.
In my opinion there's no reason to getting Phantasy Star Portable, go for Phantasy Star Portable 2 instead. Story wise you're not missing anything important, since PSPo1 is just a side-story episode from the PSU series, and content wise PSPo2 has improvements to the gameplay, it includes the areas that were available in PSPo1 and also has new areas.

I would recomment Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity instead of PSPo2 (which includes even more content), but unfortunately Infinity was only released in Japan.

Didn't really get a chance to play the Vita version last night; we decided to make an attempt at the Naberius Time Attack II interrupt ranking that started at 10pm and ended up getting kidnapped. I did pop on to say hi though!

Didn't really get a chance to play the Vita version last night; we decided to make an attempt at the Naberius Time Attack II interrupt ranking that started at 10pm and ended up getting kidnapped. I did pop on to say hi though!

Thanks for the help last night even though my brother bailed me out as well as a google search, but none the less. Thanks

Also, where can I get some good discs/spells for my techer (lvl 4)

I needz me some healz.

Toro doesn't show the heal lovin' as much as you'd like

Thanks for the help last night even though my brother bailed me out as well as a google search, but none the less. Thanks

Also, where can I get some good discs/spells for my techer (lvl 4)

I needz me some healz.

Toro doesn't show the heal lovin' as much as you'd like

Resta and others will show up in the NPC shop occasionally if you really need them right away. Note the selection changes every few minutes or if you switch blocks. Otherwise, discs will drop on field or can be given to you by NPCs either as rewards for completing client orders or raising their friendship levels. I think both Maru and Echo have Resta as one of their early rewards.

How much of a headache is it to constantly restore the Vita system if you want to switch back and forth between PSO2 and NA games? Is the first time switching regions the most complicated and then it is quick and simple every time thereafter? Or is it an excrutiating, time-consuming process every time?

I *REALLY* want to play PSO2 on my Vita, but I also *REALLY* don't want to have to deal with the possible nightmare of constant restores. Keep in mind that I am super OCD about settings. I am seriously thinking about buying a second Vita just for PSO2 just to avoid the headaches.

Varshes

Just bought the Special Package from a friend that didn't want it anymore. Pretty excited to get it! I got an 8GB card to prepare.

How much of a headache is it to constantly restore the Vita system if you want to switch back and forth between PSO2 and NA games? Is the first time switching regions the most complicated and then it is quick and simple every time thereafter? Or is it an excrutiating, time-consuming process every time?

I *REALLY* want to play PSO2 on my Vita, but I also *REALLY* don't want to have to deal with the possible nightmare of constant restores. Keep in mind that I am super OCD about settings. I am seriously thinking about buying a second Vita just for PSO2 just to avoid the headaches.

It took me 7 minutes yesterday to switch, but that's because I had to do it twice because I show USA instead of Japan the first time.

jaydogg691

I was thinking about picking up this game. So do you need to play on a Japanese PSN account or can I use my regular US account?

Kyzon

If this comes to US, I will buy a Vita. I spent so much time on the first PSO on DC, then on the Gamecube update as well.

And I just came home with my 8GB card, now to streamline the whole transfer and backup process so things don't become a headache.

And I just came home with my 8GB card, now to streamline the whole transfer and backup process so things don't become a headache.

I'd recommend backing up your US card and account with media manager just to be on the safe side.

The process is a bit confusing the first time, but it's not bad at all.

I can perform the entire switch with dedicated memory cards, sans backup, in about 3 minutes. The biggest issue is that you lose your wallpapers and bubble placements every time, which I got around by simply never customizing them in the first place.

Just don't forget to sync your trophies first!

I don't understand this step in the guide. Can someone please explain exactly what this means:

"Step 5: http://i2.minus.com/iBQfnaarolc3W.jpg After clicking restore, it will ask you if you wish to deactivate your PSN account. If you plan on going back and using that account on your Vita again, which many of you likely are, this step is optional. It saves time and allows you to not go through the effort of having to re-activate everything. If you plan on staying with the account you're switching to for long periods of time, however, you may want to deactivate it. Again, it doesn't hurt to deactivate it or keep it activated!"

I plan on switching accounts back and forth between NA and JP often. What should I choose?

LaneDS

More impressions please! Especially interested to hear from people who loved PSO but felt let down by PSU, and also people who've played the PC version of PSO2 to see how the two versions compare.

I don't understand this step in the guide. Can someone please explain exactly what this means:

"Step 5: http://i2.minus.com/iBQfnaarolc3W.jpg After clicking restore, it will ask you if you wish to deactivate your PSN account. If you plan on going back and using that account on your Vita again, which many of you likely are, this step is optional. It saves time and allows you to not go through the effort of having to re-activate everything. If you plan on staying with the account you're switching to for long periods of time, however, you may want to deactivate it. Again, it doesn't hurt to deactivate it or keep it activated!"

I plan on switching accounts back and forth between NA and JP often. What should I choose?

You have a limited number of simultaneously activated devices PSN will allow, and deactivation will free up one slot. If you don't have more devices you want to activate and will eventually switch back to that PSN account, you don't have to deactivate.

More often than not though, I find I have to reactivate anyway when I switch back, regardless of which option I chose when I reset.

More impressions please! Especially interested to hear from people who loved PSO but felt let down by PSU, and also people who've played the PC version of PSO2 to see how the two versions compare.

I haven't played the release version yet but as of closed beta it was pretty much an identical experience albeit in-game communication was much more difficult and it took a little while to get used to using the Vita controls rather than keyboard/mouse.

I'd recommend backing up your US card and account with media manager just to be on the safe side.

The process is a bit confusing the first time, but it's not bad at all.

I can perform the entire switch with dedicated memory cards, sans backup, in about 3 minutes. The biggest issue is that you lose your wallpapers and bubble placements every time, which I got around by simply never customizing them in the first place.

Just don't forget to sync your trophies first!

Thanks to you both, I synced my trophies before and backed-up my EU account with CMA so I hope that will be enough.

Also about the wallpapers and bubbles, will the image-files atleast stay with the backup? I'm currently downloading the update :) Oh and what will happen if I start my retail-games under the Japanese account?

IDK, I loved all of them (DC, 360, GC, PSP, DS) and this new one is definitely an improvement. You can expect everything you love, and them some.

But i don't think they have beast mode :(

Personally the game is way more like PSU then it is the old PSO games, There is no sense of atmosphere or any weight to the characters with people flipping around and staying airborne for like 20 seconds at a time.

It is also taking the PSU approach of slow dripping tiny amounts of content out over extended periods of time instead of having a content full game at launch.

I have alot of other issues with the game that made me just outright quit even though I spent thousands of hours on the old PSO games and PSO2 was my most anticipated game in a long time but it is ok at being what it is I suppose. Just be cautious if you go into it expecting a sequel to PSO instead of an evolution of PSU.

LaneDS

Personally the game is way more like PSU then it is the old PSO games, There is no sense of atmosphere or any weight to the characters with people flipping around and staying airborne for like 20 seconds at a time.

It is also taking the PSU approach of slow dripping tiny amounts of content out over extended periods of time instead of having a content full game at launch.

I have alot of other issues with the game that made me just outright quit even though I spent thousands of hours on the old PSO games and PSO2 was my most anticipated game in a long time but it is ok at being what it is I suppose. Just be cautious if you go into it expecting a sequel to PSO instead of an evolution of PSU.

That is kind of what I feared, and your second point about PSU having content locked down at launch was my biggest gripe with the game. I guess whenever this sees U.S. release I'll just approach it with more managed expectations.

Either way, thanks for the impressions all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom