• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Blade 0 Announced | PlayStation Showcase

Pejo

Looks cool, but I still haven't seen one of these pop-up Chinese devs actaully release anything that looks like their trailers. See also: Wukong.

If this game actaully releases and looks like this and plays well, I'm in. Hell of a trailer.

Bartski

Gold Member
ok having taken a closer look... The studio has three AAA projects in production, in addition to making another installment in their mobile game series which seems to be their only resume this far:

slade

Best surprise at the show.
Now if it ever actually releases in this state, I'll be really surprised.

Looks unbelievable... as in I don't believe this is an actual game.

I feel like I've said this before about another Chinese game announced years ago.

Spaceman292

Banned
I wanna get killed by this thing.
Anyone knows what its pronouns are?
Occ2Adq.jpg
Boi/Bussy

Nautilus

Banned
I don't know... This gameplay look *too* good to be actual gameplay. I don't see how any player could make that kind of commands and inputs in a reasonable ammount of time. Those parries on the trailer seemed... artificial. Its hard to put my finger on it.

And its made by a chinese developer, which I don't really like(Its something ingraned probably in their culture that translates to their game in a way that don't gel with me. The way they present their scenes, their dialogues, how images are framed. Again, hard to describe).

Larxia

the combat looks HIGHLY scripted/context sensitive and the traversal looks awful with the camera so close to the character.

I predict it's gonna be highly meh at best
That's kind of how I feel.

It looked very dynamic and all, but it also didn't look like actual gameplay footage. The combats felt like they had too much choreography to be actual gameplay, for example with all these super fast sword exchanges / parries, I'm not sure how that would work in gameplay, it definitely wasn't individual parries done manually, or maybe it's just holding a block button and it does that? Not sure.

Like you mentionned the camera angle also looked really strange, sometimes you would see the character running on a wall and jump toward ennemies we couldn't even see, it doesn't look like something that would be "playable".

Zathalus

Yet another Chinese game that will probably never release or only after 5+ years. Yay.

Last edited:

GymWolf

the combat looks HIGHLY scripted/context sensitive and the traversal looks awful with the camera so close to the character.

I predict it's gonna be highly meh at best
Yeah, it was hard to say what was scripted and what was real gameplay with full control.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Somehow It looks more like a cool proof of concept that an actual and playable game. We'll see, it's hard be get excited about each cool looking game anymore cuz they might end up not releasing at all.

hyperbertha

Art and design look topnotch. Just not sure about that combat, it looks stellar, but I'm not sure how it controls, a lot of it seems on autopilot.
Whenever combat and movement looks too good to be true, you can assume much of its auto.
And has a Chinese made game ever turned out well? I can't recall any of the top of my head. They always look very good but something ends up being wrong I think.

SaintALia

Whenever combat and movement looks too good to be true, you can assume much of its auto.
And has a Chinese made game ever turned out well? I can't recall any of the top of my head. They always look very good but something ends up being wrong I think.
Apart from MMOs? I don't know, I don't think I've played any non-MMO Chinese games. The 'Impact' series games seemed to have been received well, especially Genshin Impact. There have been games co-developed by CHinese studios or games headed by Western pubs/creators but with Chinese devs like Alice: Madness Returns, or when a Chinese dev gets the license to make a f2p version of some big game like COD Online or Diablo Immortal. And then you of course have the 'clone games'.

I know some pubs have devs in CHina like Ubisoft but yea, most of my experience with CHinese games are with their MMOs. But most of that has most been trying to get VPNs to work, or sorting through translation patches and then stop playing after a dozen hours or so.

Apocryphon

If that's real gameplay it's gonna be awesome
Define “real gameplay”.

It’s obviously highly scripted and nowhere near as Freeform as something like DMC. I’m interested to see what the end product ends up being, as it’s visually very interesting, but I’m not expecting it to be deep at all. Not a game I’d spend $80 on but if it isn’t awful, it’s a game I’d consider picking up in a good sale.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I agree. There are quite a fair bit of red flags around. That in combination with the fact that Chinese Playstation games have hardly any good track record.

Project Boundary announced in 2016 for PS4 with PSVR support. Now in 2023, it launches as an early access Steam game with no VR. Still no PS4/PSVR release

Immortal Legacy: The Jade Cipher launches with 3 hours of gameplay, mixed reviews and received next to no attention on both PS4 and PC.

Animal Force launches with 1 user review on Steam. Next to no attention on both PS4 and PC. Studio's social media haven't been updated since 2020.

Pervader? announced in 2017. Seemingly cease to exist now.

AI Limit. No update since 2020.

RAN: Lost Islands. No update since 2021.

The Walker launched on PSVR. have mixed reviews and forgotten.

Not saying all of them are bad. At least Anno Mutationem is a success going by Steam reviews. and Evotinction is still alive.

Last edited:

Kakax11

Banned
I agree. There are quite a fair bit of red flags around. That in combination with the fact that Chinese Playstation games have hardly any good track record.

Project Boundary announced in 2016 for PS4 with PSVR support. Now in 2023, it launches as an early access Steam game with no VR. Still no PS4/PSVR release

Immortal Legacy: The Jade Cipher launches with 3 hours of gameplay, mixed reviews and received next to no attention on both PS4 and PC.

Animal Force launches with 1 user review on Steam. Next to no attention on both PS4 and PC. Studio's social media haven't been updated since 2020.

Pervader? announced in 2017. Seemingly cease to exist now.

AI Limit. No update since 2020.

RAN: Lost Islands. No update since 2021.

The Walker launched on PSVR. have mixed reviews and forgotten.

Not saying all of them are bad. At least Anno Mutationem is a success. and Evotinction is still alive.

I wouldn't agree with him that the game is not real usually since a big gaming company like Sony is behind it but then i remember Abandoned and how that game is not real

740943_600x315.jpg

Pejo

I actually tried this out today. There's a native PC client with built in controller support (works well with Dualsense).

Fun little beat'em up. Customizable combos and stuff, with 4 playable characters you can swap between whenever.

But..... there's lots of FOMO stuff and battle pass garbo.

Probably won't play it as a GaaS, but I will at least play through the story until I get stuck behind 'pay to progress' mechanics.

Top Bottom