• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Blade Zero Is a PS5 Console Exclusive.

Buggy Loop

Oh PC?

Great Job Reaction GIF

DavidGzz

It looks neat but also like you don't have as much control over some of the combat as I'd like. Like how are we doing all of those rapid parries? The on rails sections are also obnoxious.

SkylineRKR

Never comes out anyway. I try to like these announcements, like Stellar Blade and that other action game too, but I feel they never come to fruition.

Last edited:

Zheph

It looked good but so many questions about what you actually do... some of those scenes looked like QTE stuff at best

if it was real gameplay it will be fucking awful... so either they faked it all or they didn't and it's shit.
Naw, Sifu just came out last year, and PC players were able to turn it into John Wick game with a cosmetic mod and thats an Indie game. The combat they showed is not impossible, just that its not obvious which parts are non playable.

StereoVsn

Naw, Sifu just came out last year, and PC players were able to turn it into John Wick game with a cosmetic mod and thats an Indie game. The combat they showed is not impossible, just that its not obvious which parts are non playable.
Some of it seems on rail too like the cart section. Overall the premise and graphics look interesting but really need more info to judge.

RCU005

It's basically Sony or Microsoft cutting off the other from games.

Why can’t I buy a Big Mac in Burger King? Why is McDonald’s so greedy and make it exclusive?

If you have a business, you want people to buy your products. The way to do it is by offering something the competition can’t have.

If you worry about the people that can’t have that something because can’t/won’t buy your product, please don’t ever open a business because you’ll go bankrupt the first day.

Last edited:

skit_data

Great, easily the best game shown. Hopefully this means they will make sure the game actually releases at some point unlike several others of these chinese games.

//DEVIL//

And nothing of a value is lost. Because the game will never be released. Just like that Chinese game wu long or whatever it's called. Or that other Chinese game steller blade was it called ? Or even the other Chinese game that was developed by one guy and released couple of trailer and also vanished.

I would love to be wrong. Because that was the only decent thing in that dreadful disaster of a conference. But I don't have my hopes up.

It's like Sony doing it on purpose. " Hey look at this awesome action exclusive game that is coming to our platform" and then nothing.... Like a fart kn the wind

Last edited:

geary

Awesome

That actually makes the showcase more impressive. Outside of Final Fantasy XVI and Spider-Man 2, this and Dragon's Dogma 2 were the highlights.

Knowing it's a PS5 console exclusive is a big win for Sony.
WTF...is more impressive now that the game is not coming on competition. Some of your logic is baffling

Banned
So you'll admit, that when or if it inevitably doesnt play like that, and isnt automated. That its making FROM look alittle suspect.

Even though for me, souls games were too basic in mechanics for my liking since its inception.

it will be automated and highly scripted. there's no way to make the things you see in that trailer playable in any real way without a big amount of automated animation sequences

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'd argue it does. I don't think Playstation has much of a presence in China either.
The only console that had huge following in China was Nintendo Switch, AFAIK, the crazy number of Switch unit sold you see in Japan, a portion of them are contributed by China (smuggled ones, as the official support in China like everything else is limited by its government)
Sony has a prescience and is one of their fastest growing markets, hence the investment. Older numbers but an insight,

PS5 has been widely available there now as well.
NintendoSwitch2019
4,000,000[23]
January 2021
SonyPlayStation 42015
3,520,000[24]
December 2020
MicrosoftXbox2014
1,240,000[24]
December 2020

Jigsaah

Gold Member
you should be slapped for this comment, first of all...

but why it would be bad is simple. the actions done by the main character in the trailer basically necessitate that a big chunks of the combat is automated. almost the entire combat footage looks choreographed, which means either it's fake or the player basically holds down a button and most of it just plays out like an automated chain of animations.

so possibility A: it's fake
possibility B: it's extremely dumbed down and flashy without substance

secondly, the camera position is absolute ass, way too close to the character with a low fov, which looks extremely disorienting during the traversal parts of the trailer.
I like this post because it right on the money but it also makes me sad 😔.

Too good to be true

Macaron

Banned
Never comes out anyway. I try to like these announcements, like Stellar Blade and that other action game too, but I feel they never come to fruition.
Yeah bro they showed like 5 mins of actual gameplay but it will never come out 🤣 like what 🤣

Anyways, this shit looked like GoT on lots of pcp. Im excited, def a highlight of the showcase

Aenima

And nothing of a value is lost. Because the game will never be released. Just like that Chinese game wu long or whatever it's called. Or that other Chinese game steller blade was it called ? Or even the other Chinese game that was developed by one guy and released couple of trailer and also vanished.

I would love to be wrong. Because that was the only decent thing in that dreadful disaster of a conference. But I don't have my hopes up.

It's like Sony doing it on purpose. " Hey look at this awesome action exclusive game that is coming to our platform" and then nothing.... Like a fart kn the wind
At beingining of the year Back Myth Wukong got a release window for Summer 2024, Stellar Blade is Korean and last September got a 2023 release window and Sony is publishing it.

Its kinda annoying seeing alot of gaffers shouting vaporware to all these great chinese and korean games coming up, but when western devs anounce a game and stay silent for 3 years, its still ok.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Sony has a prescience and is one of their fastest growing markets, hence the investment. Older numbers but an insight,

PS5 has been widely available there now as well.
NintendoSwitch2019
4,000,000[23]
January 2021
SonyPlayStation 42015
3,520,000[24]
December 2020
MicrosoftXbox2014
1,240,000[24]
December 2020
Yeah, there is no denying that PS5 is growing fast world wide, I was specifically talking about Chinese market, majority of their gaming hardware preference are PC. Switch find a success there to young audience for the portability, which is huge selling point there due to how video game are still stigmatized by most parent there even today, handheld somehow circumvent that interference from them.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

At beingining of the year Back Myth Wukong got a release window for Summer 2024, Stellar Blade is Korean and last September got a 2023 release window and Sony is publishing it.

Its kinda annoying seeing alot of gaffers shouting vaporware to all these great chinese and korean games coming up, but when western devs anounce a game and stay silent for 3 years, its still ok.

Let's talk when these gsmes are out. It's been 2 to 3 years since the last showing and still not even a new video. Yeah... I'll believe it when I see it.

bender

What time is it?
Opinions like buttcheeks are divided. I thought it looked terrible and I wonder how much the player is in actual control of the action.
bender-ass-bender-fireworks.gif

Bite my shiny, metal, non-divided ass. Dragon's Dogma 2 was the best game at the show.

Worlds gone soft.

Do you also cry in restaurants when they only stock Pepsi instead of Coca Cola products (or vice-versa) due to an exclusive agreement made with the restaurant chain?

It's fucking mutually agreeable business, happens in all walks of life, get over it.

Offer me a Mr. Pibb and I'll fuck you up. I'm also never soft so watch your divided buttcheeks.
Not an ounce of real gameplay there.
it's never coming out. s-game is a mobile games studio

PC Gamers can enjoy this Playstation exclusive. ...on their mobile phones.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The main character looked like a fly on speed. Not very promising in my opinion.

I really hope China get their game developer scene together because it's been little else than bravado through vertical slices so far.

Aenima

Let's talk when these gsmes are out. It's been 2 to 3 years since the last showing and still not even a new video. Yeah... I'll believe it when I see it.
Stellar Blade got a new trailer 8 months ago

Black Myth Wukong last footage is from 9 months ago

Last edited:

Eotheod

Mihoyo was a mobile game studio too, untill Genshin Impact. ShiftUP is doing Stellar blade and they only release mobile games before too. Alot of Korean and chinese devs that only did mobile or MMO before are dipping in AAA console and PC development now, and they gona teach some lesson to western bubble gum pink hair chars devs, how to do videogames again.
Very doubtful, when they too suffer the same problem of repetitive formulas placed over the top of new shiny looking assets. The general industry "uniqueness" that was once common across the industry is now converged into the same formulas bring regurgitated from studio to studio. Quite simply, developers of higher calibre can't afford risks, so avert that by sticking to tried and true game mechanics that are safe for audiences.

Weirdly enough, the industry is seeing the biggest talent potentials and unique game concepts in indie developers. Though that isn't entirely new, as Indies have always had the pleasure of being different because they don't have to appease some particular suits or board of directors for funding reasons. Hence why indie devs can be so crazy comparitive to drivel AAA nonsense.

Its not impossible at all, thats the sad thing. Thats what gaming used ti be about, making something that looked like that, "impossible", be possible, but through actual real inputs.

Doom85

Stellar Blade got a new trailer 8 months ago

Black Myth Wukong last footage is from 9 months ago

I was about to say, I couldn’t remember regarding BMW, but I was like, “Stellar Blade had a new trailer not that long ago, what are people talking about?!”

Top Bottom