• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Breaker BattleGrounds |OT| ( XBLA | 800 MSP | FEB 27 ) 4P Online Beat Em Up+!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
420374_601538009861882_1901535759_n.jpg

Official Site Links:

mikoto.gif
waka.gif
itsuki.gif
yuzuha.gif

A spinoff to the fighting game "Phantom Breaker", "Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds" is a cooperative action game for up to four players.Cute versions of the series' characters dash around the screen in this action packed title.Defeat enemies to raise your characters' levels and freely assign skills to your liking.Also enjoy head to head fights in the Battleground mode.

Facts Sheet:
  • XBLA Release, Feb 27th, 800msp.
  • 4P Co-Op available Online and Offline, for Co-Op and BattleGrounds Modes.
  • The game has 4 main playable story characters, and 4 6 additional unlockable sub characters that can be played exclusively in the Arcade, CO OP or BattleGround Modes.
  • 8 stages (0 through 7), each divided into subsections, with unique enemey types and boss battles.
  • Online Multiplayer for the Co=Op and Battleground (4p arena VS) modes.
  • Character leveling, including new attack and defensive moves.
  • Rots of Engrish! Actually, the english is pretty good. VA is all Japanese, though.

Why Should I care?:
  • First off, online play out the gate. Scott Pilgrim nor Double Dragon Neon accomplished this!
  • Guardian Heroes style line shifting. The best movement type for beat-em-ups ever concieved. No, I'm not bias, it's a fact! ;)
  • Masaki Ukyo (Of Guardian Heroes / Code of Princess fame) assisted with Programming, so some actual Guardian Heroes dev. DNA in this game!
  • It legitimately is a very solid game. Character Graphics, Chiptune Music, and multi-layered gameplay that has a wealth of sub-systems to play around with.
  • Apparently a better quality game than the fighter it was spun off from! While it's battle engine seems to have all the details that game had! So it's a Beat 'em Up with a Fighters DNA!
  • The developers admit that they made a "1200 MSP" game, but decided to charge 800 instead, to get as many playing as possible. Support such wise decisions!
  • Original 2D sprite-style based Beat-em-ups are rare in this day and age. Support the Genre!
  • Master Higgin's / Takahashi Meijin Himself Supports it!

Screenshots:

monster2.gif
kagebito3.gif

Trailers:

Character Special Moves (Main Cast):

Character Super Moves (Hidden / Sub Characters):

Battlegrounds Mode:

monster3.gif
kagebito2.gif
monster3.gif

DLC OFFICIAL ANNOUNCE!

kurisu.gif

- Kurisu Makise from the Stein's Gate game and anime series, is the DLC character.

Trailers:

Info:
  • Releasing March 12th
  • 400 MSP
  • Allows all characters to lvl to 99
  • Adds Kurisu, who is playable in Arcade, Battle Ground, and Co-Op Modes.
  • 8 New Achievements worth 100 gs

** Note that people with the DLC won't be able to play as those without it, as the ".Net" version of the game will change. However, if you wish to play with people without the DLC, simple delete the DLC file itself: you save file should be fine, but you'll be back to the previous cap, and without Kurisu. Re-download to play with Kurisu-owners again.

** The Developers are aware of compatability patches and the like, but admited that doing such for this content would just be too expensive for them.

BIG UPDATE! Game Patch / Bug Fixes In Upcoming Patch! (As of 4/10/2013)
Thanks to A HUGE BATTLESHIP for bringing this info to the attention of the thread!

//Added Features———
-Added Net. Version change functionality.
-The current “NAT type” is displayed on XboxLive Menus.
-Added a new game mode: “Nightmare+” (Recommended for lv. 50 or higher on cooperative mode):
A lot more challenging than Nightmare mode.
No experience is rewarded in this mode. (Red Gems)
Greater coin drops.
-On the Skill Set screen, added a button func. to clear the learned character skills.

//BUG Fixes—————-
-The silver accounts were not being able to see the leaderboards.
-A silver account was not being able to access the “Buy Full Game” button on the main menu.
-Improved network performance.

-Fixed a bug that clears a character’s experience points.
-Fixed a bug after a boss event that caused the game progress to stop.
-Modified the time that the Cancel Armor lasts when there is still no counter burst learned.
-Fixed the color palette combinations of bosses and NPCs.
-Fixed the Enemy A.I.
-Fixed the grabbing moves.
-Fixed an issue with the throw-able bananas of the character Kurisu.
-Modified the character Infinity’s speed attributes and made some changes in order to balance more the character in general.
-Fixed a bug with an Infinity’s special ability cut-in.
-Fixed Kurisu’s “number 4″ special ability.
-Fixed a bug in Cocoa’s Special Grabbing cancel ability.
-Cocoa’s Phantom Breaker special cancel has been fixed.
-Itsuki’s EX+down+SP trajectory has been modified.
-Itsuki’s Dash+EX+SP trajectory has been modified.
-Yuzuha’s forward+SP jump modified, and her shuriken’s damage slightly increased.
-Added a invulnerable timing on Nagi’s forward+SP attack.
-Modified the condition on which Waka’s dash+EX+SP attack was executed.

//Changed Battle Ground Mode Rules———–
-Item boxes appear randomly on each stage.
-Items fall in a timely manner.
-When low on HP the Burst gauge will charge more rapidly.

Originates from HERE.

New difficulty, Improved Netcode, Changes to Enemy AI, The ability to change the game version from within the game (no deleting of the DLC file anymore!), Easy character reset options, and a bunch of balance / bug fixes, among other things! Sounds like a very solid patch update!

Why do you keep showing me games I want to buy GAF? My wallet cries even at only 800MSP at these packed times :( But if it has local and online coop I will most likely bite!

Camjo-Z

Too bad this isn't on PSN as well, I won't be able to experience the online since I let my Gold subscription lapse some time ago. But the gameplay looks pretty fun and the local co-op sounds sweet, so I'll probably get this anyways!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
*Cheer* Itsuki's Super Special does look like one of the most fun to use. Bullet Bill Strikes again!

I'll probably start with... Waka, myself. Long Spears are a classic favorite of mine.

In the JP Demo for the Fighter, I always chose Cocoa, because chopping people to death with her claw arm was quite enjoyable. And what a great backstory: Bored of the real world, she modifies her body to be more like a Character from her favorite game, "T-DA"! (Which is actually where the enemies from stage 2 seem to come from in THIS game..) So Odd.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I always hate it when Microsoft (or Sony) have big service-wide sells during the release of Smaller, Lesser-known releases. Save these sales for Empty weeks / Weeks when big-clout games are on the menu!

Major Nelson's Blog didn't give any 2 week notice with a "Coming soon to XBLA" post either (he conveniently misses many small JP releases), and there was no info posted on PLAYXBLA at all for the game... so many missed opportunities!

But at least there's 2 Trailers & A Gamerpic Pack up on XBL itself... and the game actually has some internet buzz! On the companies own side, they've done some of the best self-promotion of an XBLA title that I've seen.

Guardian Heroes style line shifting, eh? But can I fly into the background and spam (B+C) Creation?

If I wasn't already interested in this, I'd buy it on principle anyway. I'm assuming from reading the OP / website that the 4 extra characters are usable in 1P offline "CO-OP" mode.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, you have Plane-breaking seeking Lightning balls to throw (Which looks to be a universal skill earned through level-up)! But no sign of plane-breaking flight yet, lol.

The 4 Extras should be useable in offline Co-Op as well, yup (Which can be played solo..). So a total of 8 Characters Playable in Co-OP, but only 4 in "Story" and "Arcade" modes, which are single-player only.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think the thing that would help Phantom Breaker the most is suggesting it to Castle Crasher/Guardian Heroes fans over the XBL interface. If the game is good then word of mouth will do the rest.

I'll definitely be checking this one out, but like most XBLA games it really comes down to how well the game plays rather than production values or the concept. So I'm not super hyped on it because I haven't had a hands on yet.

*Cheer* Itsuki's Super Special does look like one of the most fun to use. Bullet Bill Strikes again!

I'll probably start with... Waka, myself. Long Spears are a classic favorite of mine.

In the JP Demo for the Fighter, I always chose Cocoa, because chopping people to death with her claw arm was quite enjoyable. And what a great backstory: Bored of the real world, she modifies her body to be more like a Character from her favorite game, "T-DA"! (Which is actually where the enemies from stage 2 seem to come from in THIS game..) So Odd.
I always used Itsuki in the demo, so why not continue that trend here, right? :D

We should set some games up on launch day/week, even if I might not play much sicne I'll be expecting my precious copy of Senran Kagura.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It gets compared to Scott Pilgrim quite a lot; I wonder if there's any discussion about this in any Castle Crasher Communities, now that you mention it...

One thing I can say I love about the controls already, even without playing it, is that every action of the L and R buttons/triggers can be done by the 4 face buttons, with different press combinations. This instantly feels like a traditional Arcade game, is joystick friendly, and is a nice step towards the classic "easy to learn, harder to master" theme that I find true for all Beat 'em Ups.

Phantom Breaker is also a series that believes in super-easy special move inputs: Direction + Special Button for different moves. I think that works out very well for Beat 'em Ups, much like how well it worked with Streets of Rage.

I always used Itsuki in the demo, so why not continue that trend here, right? :D

We should set some games up on launch day/week, even if I might not play much sicne I'll be expecting my precious copy of Senran Kagura.

Sounds like a Plan! I have a bad habit of NOT playing games like this online often because of having a steady offline partner to play with, but with 4P potential in this game, that chaos can't be avoided! Might be good to have a GAF-Fueled playthrough or 2 (hundred) on this...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DLC OFFICIAL ANNOUNCE!

kurisu.gif

- Kurisu Makise from the Stein's Gate game and anime series, is the DLC character.

Trailers:

Info:
  • Releasing March 12th
  • 400 MSP
  • Allows all characters to lvl to 99
  • Adds Kurisu, who is playable in Arcade, Battle Ground, and Co-Op Modes.
  • New Achievements worth 100 gs

robot3.gif

I've been wondering who was to be the DLC character myself... another male to go with Infinity? Guest characters from other 5pb series? More from Phantom Breaker? Technically, she's both! ( was in PB as well). She looks pretty fun (though perhaps horridly broken?), and I really like her Intro in the Special Moves Trailer. (Seems characters have intros and victory poses... I didn't expect that from a game like this, actually.)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I've been looking forward to buying Stein's Gate on Bluray eventually, maybe this'll just push me towards starting earlier, haha.

The website update shows off a lot more of the default enemies and the bosses, now... I'm plesantly surprised at how big and varied those bosses look. Nothing really fits into the "just a generic character with a few mods" size pool; those things are massive!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I've watched the trailers on the Vita through Youtube; I'd totally be happy with that, I REALLY want some good 2D Beat 'em Ups on the system, but noooo...

It'd partner well with Code of Princess on 3DS too.

But the Devs mention on their Blog that there's no plans to port the game to anything else right now, currently, so it's all 360 for now! Let's hope the game can do well enough to help the group continue to make games with such charming style.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Holy cow looks godly.

This shall be mine, too bad I'm just Silver but I love my belt scrollers with glorious pixel art

Clov

Though I can't play it online, I think the local multiplayer could end up being pretty fun. Plus those sprites are just adorable! Playable Kurisu is a pretty big incentive as well, even if she's DLC.

HyperHip

I remember running some sessions for OG Phantom Breaker at NEC XII, that game was the definition of poverty fighter.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I remember running some sessions for OG Phantom Breaker at NEC XII, that game was the definition of poverty fighter.
I still look forward to it, even though I think it's systems and ideas fit in this game better. "B tier" fighters can have great charm...

I'm always put off by the leveling up system in these kinds of games.

I'd like a level-less mode, but I like the fact leveling here raises default skills in levels. Scott Pilgrim made you level to get the basics; this looks as if it makes you level in order to increase much of what is already there, while giving some fun universal bonuses along the way.

I loved watching spells get more grand as the game went on in Guardian Heroes. I hope thats what progress feels like here.

Kokonoe

Banned
I have the japanese demo to Phantom Breaker and surprisingly I liked it more than a lot of more popular fighters, but I haven't played it a whole lot. I guess cause it was kinda easier for me to play.

I've watched the trailers on the Vita through Youtube; I'd totally be happy with that, I REALLY want some good 2D Beat 'em Ups on the system, but noooo...

It'd partner well with Code of Princess on 3DS too.

But the Devs mention on their Blog that there's no plans to port the game to anything else right now, currently, so it's all 360 for now! Let's hope the game can do well enough to help the group continue to make games with such charming style.

First time and probably the last time I'll say this, but I think I'll purchase this on my 360 to support more games like this. I just don't play my 360 much anymore but this game looks fun enough.

I've had the Japanese demo for Phantom Breaker on my Xbox 360 for about a year or so now, too. I play it every once in a while. I actually quite like it. I'm still hoping the US version comes out at some point...

Anyway, I heard about this game a few months ago, and it looks pretty great. Can't wait to play it...only a like 2-3 or so more hours to go until it's up!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I have the japanese demo to Phantom Breaker and surprisingly I liked it more than a lot of more popular fighters, but I haven't played it a whole lot. I guess cause it was kinda easier for me to play.

Yeah, I really like the ambition of "make a simple fighter, that has all the bells and whistles of a complex one", and don't hate the game for it at all. I like having a fighter that I can share with my non-fighter friends, without making their eyes glaze over when trying to describe how to do a special...

First time and probably the last time I'll say this, but I think I'll purchase this on my 360 to support more games like this. I just don't play my 360 much anymore but this game looks fun enough.

Welcome aboard the support train! I wish I could find more on who Mages / Division 2 are, I really want to see them hone the skills they show here. Just listening to the music of this game feels pretty authentic for the style it's emulating. They seem to have a great eye for detail, which I hope to really appreciate once playing.

I've had the Japanese demo for Phantom Breaker on my Xbox 360 for about a year or so now, too. I play it every once in a while. I actually quite like it. I'm still hoping the US version comes out at some point...

I'd like to hope Battlegrounds assist in PB's release, but who knows... 76ixty seems to be having problems with everything they released on console, though, sooo... don't really know what to expect. I do hope it comes out, though. I actually wanna see even more about these characters, after falling for them in Battlegrounds.

Anyway, I heard about this game a few months ago, and it looks pretty great. Can't wait to play it...only a like 2-3 or so more hours to go until it's up!

Less than an hour now, if live updates on time! Wonder how big this download will be...

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, I remember when this was announced, and I was like "by the i'd be playing the retail version". Oh well, will definitely buy this game anyways. Probably pick up some points for that manor game sale (as well as some hard drive space lol)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
PAULINK, hope things work out well for ya!

KDash, yeah, can understand that. I've been saving points for this since the idea it "might come out soon" was announced, so for once, I'll skip the demo, haha.

Hopefully, the full links come up right on time... especially since this DL is much more hefty than expected.

Quick Impressions:

• I didn't play the demo, because I purchased the game before the Demo was available.
  • Stage 0 starts you with a powered character, and all your strength is then taken. So you'll be working with a nerfed moveset after that.
  • You're given the EXP you earn in stage 0 though, so you get to power back up somewhat.
  • Early enemey AI plays DUMB. They line shift after standing still for a while, they don't attack too heavy, they act like fodder. Special types are more aggressive, and have super armor, item throws, flight and machine guns, etc.
  • Normal character Boss AI is brutal, though. They fully know this game has loads of systems, and force you to use them to live. They's even start spamming high advantage setups once weak, such as weak uppercut into jump pressure X infinity.
  • There's an achievement for reading all the "how to play" section. DO IT! The game has a lot of sub-systems.
  • Gameplay is quick and light, combos flow very easily together, and you can do very fighting game like stuff.
  • Including wall bounces, double air jump loops, combos into sweeps into specials, special cancel out of combos into sidesteps and attacks, etc.
  • Story mode is fully Japanese voiced, from what I've seen up to stage 3. It's very un-offensive, straight forward speaking, not overly loud or cute, and the translation is much more on the "translation" side, rather than "localization" (which I'm ok with...). Some might find it stiff because of this, though.
  • Only 4 characters unlocked from the start, onwards to start of stage 3, haven't unlocked anything yet.
  • Characters have 7 colors to choose from, it seems.
  • No button config, for those who might wonder. But there are multiple ways to do everything, by bind, or by traditional press.
  • It mentions right in the how to play, that the DLC will split the people who have different NET versions of the game, making those with DLC unable to play with those WITH the DLC. They asked the blog why they didn't just patch it in, so all could play together, blog responded, paraphrased "patches such as this are too expensive for us!", sooo... keep that in mind.
  • It's known that deleting the DLC will revert you back to playing with non DLC owners. Shouldn't hurt your file or save.
  • The day the DLC goes up, a new set of gamer pics will as well, this time also featuring Stein's Gate characters.

Easily happy with my purchase, wish I could play more ATM, but duty and the day calls...

Sounds good, man!

Oh, the demo is up now. I'm downloading it as I'm typing this. The game is also now showing up on the Xbox 360's marketplace, and not just the Xbox site.

Can't wait to play!

EDIT: Just played it. It was a lot of fun. I'd get it now if I had the money to, but that'll have to wait. I might get it real soon, though. Maybe sometime next month, since my birthday is coming up then.

I played without reading the How To Play, so I might play it again later after reading that...but I should really go get some sleep first. Hah.

great impressions SAB

are there multiple difficulty levels ? are they unlocked from the start ?

I think there were at least around 4 or 5 listed when I played the demo a few minutes ago, but it only let me choose between Easy and Normal. I'd check what they were exactly, but I just turned off my Xbox 360, and was just about to head to bed. Heh.

Oh, yeah...I should mention that the demo only lets you play as Mikoto through the first level, on either Easy or Normal, like I mentioned above.

I've been looking forward to this since it was announced but I'm going to hold out for a PSN release since I refuse to subscribe to XBL Gold and wouldn't mind playing it online. I'll pick it up for the single player and local coop later though if it never happens though. Sadly this reminds me that Phantom Breaker still hasn't been released here yet, and likely won't with the silent treatment 7Sixty is giving fans lately. *cry*

Nekobo

My gamertag is Nekobo if anyone wants to play online tonight or this weekend. Just lemme know you're from GAF if you do add me. :)

HyperHip

Finished Story Mode some quick impressions so far:

+Awesome sprites and backgrounds (Stage 0 looks AMAZING)
+Stages have a nice length to them, not too short.
+Cool chiptune music.
+Nice enemy variation.
+Nice amount of characters for a beat em' up.
+Tons of mechanics that give it the depth of a fighter. And as SAB CA has said you'd best learn them, otherwise prepare to get owned in boss battles.

-You can't change your buttons.
-Skill trees being needed for regular special attacks (I hate skill trees in beat em' ups in general)
-Online seems to go to shit when you have more then two players.
-No Practice Mode or CPU battles for Battlegrounds :<

Overall I am very pleased with this game so far. Gonna try some more online and see if I can actually get some decent 4p going.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I love the music and the sprite/polygonal mix that the backgrounds have going on.

I got to Stage 3 when I played earlier. I was beginning to think that the grunts were too easy until they ping-ponged me to death. Maybe I shouldn't have glazed over the defensive mechanics in How to Play...

Top Bottom