• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust on PC/XB1 to Use "Original Graphics, Original Rendering" Not HD

From the Polygon Interview.

So we're sticking with the original graphics for the game. Party because the animations are so crucial to gameplay and to upres the graphics means opening old animation files and everything else; so the original resolution and the framerate is exactly what you're going to experience. You know it is a little bit of a wayback-machine kind of experience but the gameplay is so incredible that is what we're focused on bringing back.

Asked for more clarification on Twitter just to be sure and got the following back.

Game is also confirmed not to be a F2P release but will be a "value title".

Still excited.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What do they mean original rendering? They're just talking about textures right because I don't think I'm going to play a 480p game on my big ass TV in this day and age.

epmode

What does "original rendering" mean? It's not going to support arbitrary resolutions on PC or 1080p on Xbox? Makes no sense for a 3D game.

Not that I'd buy something on the Windows 10 store.

Who cares? It's goddamn Phantom Dust.

If it sells well enough (it damn well better), we might get a proper follow up, but for now...IT'S FUCKING PHANTOM DUST!!!!

if it's a self contained original xbox emulator i hope that modders find a way to swap the ISOs to different games

xbox games are so cheap at used stores, they used regular DVDs, and we have no proper emulation yet

Mechazawa

This is the second time this person has said something along these lines.

FEAR STARTING TO SET IN.

If it sells well enough (it damn well better), we might get a proper follow up, but for now...IT'S FUCKING PHANTOM DUST!!!!

Uh, I love Phantom Dust, but I want to play it at a resolution higher than 480p, especially when they're going back in to make changes to it.

if it's a self contained original xbox emulator i hope that modders find a way to swap the ISOs to different games

xbox games are so cheap at used stores, they used regular DVDs, and we have no proper emulation yet

Holy shit would this amazing.

They could bring over the entire OG back catalogue. Panzer Dragoon, Midtown Madness, Otogi 1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, KOTOR, Rallisport Challenge, Kung Fu Chaos, Shenmue 2...

I NEED THIS.

SOR5

Extremely happy to see Phantom Dust again, but not a good decision, especially for a cult hit's fanbase who had their hopes damaged by all the dev troubles with the reboot.

Unless its a hint of OG Xbox emulation? Which would be a thousand times more interesting considering this release is back online and available on PC

Phu

Banned

This could be really interesting. In any case, they have some way of bringing it over.

Man, Phantom Dust was awesome, but this is super disappointing. Am I going to play it in a postage stamp sized window or a complete blurred out mess?

KageMaru

This better be another miscommunication issue because it doesn't make any sense. We've seen other remasters with higher resolution and other aspects, like animation, are the same.

Even though I'll still probably get it, what's the chances you think it'll sell well looking exactly like a 12 year old game?

EBE

What's the difficulty with opening 'old animation files and everything else?'
What remastered games had animations that weren't also crucial to gameplay?

Miker

From sangreal in another thread: "it's being developed by code mystics, who also did killer instinct classic on xb1 and worked on rare replay"

Given their history I suppose it could go either way - emulation as in Killer Instinct Classic or maybe an upres - Grabbed by the Ghoulies was the only OG Xbox game in Rare Replay and it was 1080p60.

So we can anticipate Phantom Dust sequel being announced again at another E3! Just find it comical that this is once again only in the realm of possibility, when it was announced 2 years ago.

Vinc

Crazy theory time.

What if MS is funding this with the dual purpose of deciding whether or not to continue with the on-hold reboot, and to develop an original Xbox emulator for Xbox One?

Phil wore an original Xbox shirt at E3.

If all of Xbox, including original, 360 and One becomes compatoble with the family of devices / Windows 10 it'd be super impressive for games preservation.

SOR5

Crazy theory time.

What if MS is funding this with the dual purpose of deciding whether or not to continue with the on-hold reboot, and to develop an original Xbox emulator for Xbox One?

Phil wore an original Xbox shirt at E3.

If all of Xbox, including original, 360 and One becomes compatoble with the family of devices / Windows 10 it'd be super impressive for games preservation.

I think this could be happening as well, which is extremely interesting considering this game has multiplayer confirmed

Even though I'll still probably get it, what's the chances you think it'll sell well looking exactly like a 12 year old game?

It probably won't sell well either way. That's the point. They're spending very little resources on this port because they know it's only going to appeal to a very niche audience. An audience they still want to satisfy, but satisfy without throwing away money.

That's my take, anyway.

SMG

Why not just get a team like Bluepoint on it, give it the full treatment?

Would of been awesome...
Seems like they planned to have it be a big remake, canned that but had promised their audience it already. So this is cheap and dirty port to fill the Base requirements. Blueprint need time and money to do their magic.

Vitacat

I don't care about modders, but would definitely like to see OG XB emulation become a BC thing. Didn't we get 360 BC because of the emulator used for Rare Replay? Maybe this will lead to something similar?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So they are reworking it to work with modern XBL, adding cross platform play, tournament support, they decoupled the card unlocks from the campaign...

All that work and they are going to ship a console game in 2017 that runs at 480p?

Are you fucking serious?

amdb00mer

What do they mean original rendering? They're just talking about textures right because I don't think I'm going to play a 480p game on my big ass TV in this day and age.

Agreed. I think it will be upscaled at a minimum. This is not the first time Shannon Loftis has given bad info. I think we need to wait on Phil or Ken Lobb to clarify. It's a shame that it's come to that point with some of these announcements.

FordGTGuy

Banned
“Phantom Dust” for Xbox One and Windows 10
Fact Sheet

Product
Overview: “Phantom Dust” for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC is a re-release of the original classic, brought to life for the modern generation with Xbox Live features like cloud-save support, cross-device play, cross-buy, Looking for Group on Xbox Live, and support for Arena on Xbox Live. In addition, it features new gameplay enhancements including multiplayer* starter decks that let you jump straight into multiplayer, improved frame rate, and adjustments to overall game balance.

“Phantom Dust” is a unique blend of third-person arena combat and collectable card game, in which both fast reflexes and clever thinking matter. Collect over 300 unique abilities and build your arsenal of powers, taking them into battle with up to three other opponents. You’ll compete in highly-destructible arenas—in teams or alone—and unleash a wide array of powers and tactics, including orbital particle cannons, flaming swords, barriers of ice, flight, cloaking, attack reflection, and even mind-reading abilities.

The game features over 20 hours of solo player content through an engaging story that explores the ideas of isolation and faith, and full Xbox Live multiplayer support for up to four players with a variety of game types.

Features:
Tactical Action – Up to 4 players choose from more than 300 skills across five diverse schools of powers to create a unique “arsenal” to take into combat. Draw odds and deck building strategy collide with moment-to-moment action as players blast, block, and leap across each arena in an effort to defeat their opponents. With billions of deck combinations and 12 years since the original’s release, no one has yet to find a “perfect” arsenal!

Map Destruction
– Major components of all the arenas can be destroyed. Blow out bridges to limit access to high ground, punch enemies into or through walls, rain debris down in an enclosed room, drop the floors out from under opponents, and hurl objects and debris for quick damage. As the board is destroyed and the landscape changes, players must adapt, increasing the need for strategic action and arsenals that cater to each specific arena.

Skills – More than 300 skills are available for players to earn and purchase through the solo campaign and multiplayer battles. From basic attacks and defenses, to radical board-altering abilities, Phantom Dust has a play style to suit anyone; stay at distance with the Optical school’s laser attacks; get in close and pummel your opponent with the Ki school; cause chaos with the unpredictable Psycho school; heal and boost your abilities with the Nature school; debilitate and punish with the Faith school. Mix schools to create radically different strategies and rebuild your arsenals to counter tricky opponents as you progress.

Campaign – Humanity has been driven underground by a mysterious dust that eats away at memories. Play as Alpha, a newly discovered survivor with no memory of their past. Journey across the radical landscape of a changed Earth as you undertake more than 100 missions to reveal the secrets of the Phantom Dust. Get ready for a brooding and introspective campaign with over 20 hours of play, featuring a host of unique characters to fight with and against, massive boss encounters, diverse arenas, memorable set battles, and unlockable multiplayer bonuses.

New Features for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC:

* Xbox Live Arena support integrated

* Play on Windows 10 PC or Xbox One seamlessly with cross-saves, retaining all of your progress and in-game items between both platforms.

* Cross-device play lets you play against friends regardless of platform.

* Full Xbox Live feature set of the original game, including downloading top player’s arsenals to practice against them – a feature not available since the original’s release!

* Looking for Group on Xbox Live so you can find and connect with other gamers more easily than ever.

* Multiplayer starter arsenals are included. Jump right into multiplayer with a better selection of skills!

* The Multiplayer skill shop is no longer tied to solo player progression. All skills are available for purchase immediately for multiplayer use.

* Improvements to game balance and frame rate

http://news.xbox.com/wp-content/upl...box-One-and-W10-fact-sheet-Final_6-10-16.docx

Only enhancements mentioned on the fact sheet are to framerate and game balance but features have been added.

Top Bottom