• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Collar (Polygon) accused of "taking advantage of a fan"

Atrus

Gold Member
Let's just assume that what transpired was wrong and implications of flirting with hearts between adults is crossing a line. (FYI I think its nonsense as it currently reads but for a thought experiment I just wanted to assume the opposite)

What does not being in a position of power mean in this context?

This arose because said individual is going to stream content so does that mean this should not be allowed? What can he do then because so long as he works in a position that interacts with women, it would be a similar 'position of power'.

Furthermore, as I read the twitter responses, the term 'creepy' has no factual or objective merit. When someone states that someone with autism is "creepy" and profess that nothing sexual occurred, I'm more inclined to think you are using the word to persecute people who are disabled or are otherwise different than you.

OrionFalls

For the record I've no idea who this dude is, and I've no love for Polygon. But no one, man or woman, should be falsely accused of anything.
It seems that hundreds of reports are coming into the spotlight since the Weinstein and #MeToo campaign began, it's inevitable that you will get some false reports from people trying to get attention. We mustn't let it undermine the value of the genuine claims, though.

I feel like youd be right at home in the other forum.
I already explained I'd misread the article. No need to be so hostile.

Nephtis

It seems that hundreds of reports are coming into the spotlight since the Weinstein and #MeToo campaign began, it's inevitable that you will get some false reports from people trying to get attention. We mustn't let it undermine the value of the genuine claims.

Agreed.

There's absolutely nothing here.

"So brave" ughhh

This is just going to feed people who say the #metoo movement is a load of hot air. This story doesn't demonstrate anything but mutual flirting followed by a rejection to a proposition. Not every interaction with a male is sexual harassment. Stahp. Don't steal the spotlight just because it's there.

Atrus

Gold Member
I can’t be the only person who read the title as Phil Collins, can I?

No, I thought it was Phil Collins as well and then was like "Collar? Who the hell is Phil Collar?"
With big names being outed it was easy to jump the gun and think it was about someone famous.

Dunki

I'm still baffled people take this to social media. You can't file a police report? You can't talk to family/friends? And the kicker is "so if you're going to me in my mentions telling me it didn't happen, you can go ahead and not do that thanks." I can muster no sympathy for this woman.

Choice quote:

There is nothing to report at all here this is just trying to get attention and maybe a job I do not know.

So let me get this straight.

Both were legal
Both flirted witch each other
He invited her. She said no.
End.

What is the story here? I do not like Phil at all but this is serious attention grabbing.

Mohonky

I can’t be the only person who read the title as Phil Collins, can I?

No I also read Phil Collins.

Then I also read 'fan of' and realised I am either very naive or out of touch when streamers apparently are in a position of power over people because they are popular or some shit.

Im totally lost on that one.

Paterson

Banned
They flirted. She felt taken advantage of. He claims he's going to seek therapy over this. Both of them need help. What they had was a basic human interaction, but their desire to turn that into something outrageous due to how they spend the majority of their lives seeking out something new to be outraged by is preventing them from seeing that what happened is nothing. Social media wasn't a mistake, but people who use it to express indignation over every last tiny insignificant thing were a mistake. Their therapists should prescribe 5 years of not being outraged by stupid shit.

KahooTs

The complete rejection of personal responsibility is troubling. I did not or in hindsight do not like this experience I had with another person, they must therefor be to blame and I their victim.

This Bullshit is exactly what cost Adam Blampied from What Culture his job. Just a groupie who feels ashamed of a mistake she made & consented to, and feels like throwing someone's relationship & career under the bus for 15 mins of attention.

Blampied had a Girlfriend sure, but he didn't break any laws or do anything illegal & neither did this guy.

sun-drop

This is kinda ridiculous...he asked, she refused....are we going to drag every guy who's been left swiped on tinder through the press too now?

HoodWinked

the issue is that you can't really dictate the way someone feels about something. so she's probably completely truthful in thinking and feeling that she felt taken advantage of.

but most people outside of this won't see this in the same way after reading the details of it. i think its healthy to look at things objectively. just weird that now if you feel any morsel of regret its enough to ruin someone just because.

Gun Animal

She was 20, flirting with him and said she was 'hypersexual' due to her diagnosis; sooo......his fault?

At this point in time I'm under the impression that unless you're telepathic and able to read someone's mind you won't be rejected, it's sexual misconduct. You're gonna need a lawyer to approach someone soon just to ask someone out on a date.

https://vimeo.com/28614921

Worth watching the 3 videos.

people keep saying we'll need legal contracts just to have sex soon and tbh i hope they're right, that's exactly what marriage was before it got turned into a weird tax thing/expensive church party

matt360

the issue is that you can't really dictate the way someone feels about something. so she's probably completely truthful in thinking and feeling that she felt taken advantage of.

but most people outside of this won't see this in the same way after reading the details of it. i think its healthy to look at things objectively. just weird that now if you feel any morsel of regret its enough to ruin someone just because.

I agree. It's a very delicate situation. She needs to know that she's completely in the wrong without having her feelings totally invalidated.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
In the words of Ghostface Killer

"Damn right I fuck fans"

Plus this dude did nothing wrong according to the stuff I read.

AmaiMask

Banned
And another SJW who prides himself as morally just for virtue signalling about the wrongs of society against various oppressed groups caught up in some kind of degeneracy. This is proving to be quite the eventful year.

Tadaima

Usually I can sympathise, but I fail to see any signs of harassment here. Which is definitely a good thing, because we need less predators in the world.

Is the point that he is married? If so, perhaps she should have told his wife privately. The wife is now suddenly under a lot of unnecessary pressure – which is perhaps more damaging than the open invitation.

This comes across as attention-seeking at the expense of other people.

And another SJW who prides himself as morally just for virtue signalling about the wrongs of society against various oppressed groups caught up in some kind of degeneracy. This is proving to be quite the eventful year.

And another junior member conveniently signed up after the gaf fallout and bravely shitposting.

XAL

Darn, if only you had thrown cuck in there you would have hit the alt-right buzzword trifecta.

Usually I can sympathise, but I fail to see any signs of harassment here. Which is definitely a good thing, because we need less predators in the world.

Is the point that he is married? If so, perhaps she should have told his wife privately. The wife is now suddenly under a lot of unnecessary pressure – which is perhaps more damaging than the open invitation.

This comes across as attention-seeking at the expense of other people.

His wife is aware, they're polyamorous. So there is actually no point or issue other than someone on twitter is a bit deranged making a bizarre claim for victimhood by putting someone on blast that doesn't deserve to be.

Bleepey

This Bullshit is exactly what cost Adam Blampied from What Culture his job. Just a groupie who feels ashamed of a mistake she made & consented to, and feels like throwing someone's relationship & career under the bus for 15 mins of attention.

Blampied had a Girlfriend sure, but he didn't break any laws or do anything illegal & neither did this guy.

I just read the story, the guy asked for nudes and he is now worst than Satan? Oh come on!

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm not sure sure how she survived that ordeal. Fortunately, she'll be safe when he is in prison where he belongs.

Lol at the creepy comments. It's bio. Men lust after fertile youth, breaking news. Morally is PERHAPS another argument, but who gives a shit if it's legal.

Fucking judges. I'm 34 and went out with a 22 year old last week. It was hot. Call the cops already.

She sounds a bit muddled up in her own mind. Gaming attracts all the weirdos and misfits. i put this one down to social awkwardness based on those tweets.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That seems perfectly normal? Back and forth flirting that didn't amount to anything. I'm not sure what she's trying to do here.

McLovin

Guess the only thing that’s safe now is to ignore flirtatious advances and never trying to engage. I can see a future where guys will have to carry a concent form in their pocket right next to their condoms. Don’t get me wrong most guys are assholes and I do believe all the accusations. I just feel that we should get rid of all the ambiguousness and spell out just what is socially acceptable and what isn’t.

This thread still going?

I feel like we're looking into the private matters of two people here that shouldn't have gone public. People are scrutinizing the story and then attacking her and it's getting downright creepy.

Whether or not Phil should be flirting while married ... that's a matter between him and his wife, no one else should be involved and it doesn't have to do anything with sexual harassment. Now obviously she didn't feel comfortable about something with him, I still think it would have played out better if they kept the matter between them and sorted it out, rather than having public call-outs and late apologies.

All it does is giving ground to the usual cretins by fueling their confirmation bias, and then you hear stuff like "all these #metoos are a bunch of attention whoring bullshit, look at this case".

Top Bottom