• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Fish has Twitter tantrum, cancels Fez 2 and goes home with his ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsuneyo

This is the silliest thing he's done so far. I actually don't dislike the guy, despite the daft stuff he said about Japan etc. He made a great game in Fez. Now he's overreacting to things he doesn't even have to be be involved with.

It'll be a real shame if he doesn't make any more games. He's a talented designer, and that's all I care about when it comes to game makers.

Silky

Banned
These comments are sickening.

Sigh. I don't understand how someone who considers himself to be an artist can't even take the slightest of criticism, but it's whatever. Creating is stressful, and I can respect that 100%. I loved FEZ, but I don't like Fish. That being said, I hope that-whatever he wants in his life-he finds it and makes his life successful.

But, why must he worry of the bad? Why can't people like him hold the majority of the good accountable? Isn't that what artists do? Listen to the praise, and hold the criticisms as something to better themselves?

Is he an egomaniac?

Nibel

Dude didn't deserve any of this

Yeah, he wrote a bunch of shit on Twitter sometimes, but this time he was right

Fucked up situation

Good. The game industry absolutely sucks and with the talents he has he can be making far more money doing something else and be treated with much more respect. I have no idea why any engineer would actually want to work in games outside of those at the bottom of the barrel. Personal interest is one thing but I would rather come home after a normal 40 hour week and PLAY my video games instead of slaving away at crunch time and taking shit for it.

I'd put up with internet abuse if my games were well-received and making me a ton of money. The guy seemed the same way after bragging about Fez doing remarkably well during the Steam sale.

I´m glad he leaves the industry, that way he proves that he´s just a random jerk of the bunch spamming twitter.

If he was so smart as we think he is, he just leave twitter and not the industry.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Why not close twitter and stop giving a fuck
, and being a dickhead while you're at it

So unprofessional.

MormaPope

Banned
I know it sounds silly, but making games is quite stressing.

That is undeniable. Programming and designing games is at times hellish, and at other times rewarding and fulfilling. What happens after the designing part is on the designer or artist.

This is the silliest thing he's done so far. I actually don't dislike the guy, despite the daft stuff he said about Japan etc. He made a great game in Fez. Now he's overreacting to things he doesn't even have to be be involved with.

It'll be a real shame if he doesn't make any more games. He's a talented designer, and that's all I care about when it comes to game makers.
I agree, I don't think it's silly though. I would get fed up too.

Valnen

Don't abuse people if you don't want it back. You won't find any industry in which that behavior gets you places. But maybe he has enough money to retire.

Into

I am not buying this, i reckon he is just messing around with people

Regardless if he is or isent, its pretty clear that not everyone should be on Twitter or interact with fans, we have seen ample examples of this for many people, it can be poisonous to people

Oh, cool. He'll be happier now that the gaming community at large effectively drove him out of one of the only things he's admittedly good at.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
He loves drama and stirring up trouble but when shit comes to him, he will always play the victim.
Same old story.

Next

popcorn-o.gif

I knew there was something wrong with him when i saw IG: The Movie.

taoofjord

Not sure what happened past this morning bit I think he really did drive himself to this. He's just a very aggressive, cocky, and immature person and not without a great deal of self doubt. He lashes out needlessly and I'm not surprised that he can't handle going down the path he's been going for a while now. A shame, as he's talented, but maybe he'll learn a few things and come back all the stronger for it. An alternative would be to just focus on making the game and limit time spent on the interacting with the community and journalists. Maybe hire someone else to handle it for now.

LordJim

We lost the finest mind of our generation, indeed.
Hope he removes the Andy Kaufman profile pic though, cause he could not hack it.

McDougles

Dude didn't deserve any of this

Yeah, he wrote a bunch of shit on Twitter sometimes, but this time he was right

Fucked up situation

Totally justifiable to quit all of video gaming because someone on Gametrailers called him a hipster? In which Fish told that guy to "kill himself?"

Sounds like Fish was in the right.

Why not close twitter and stop giving a fuck
, and being a dickhead while you're at it

So unprofessional.

Yuppp.

And really, welcome to the Internet. Most people are dickheads, and you know what? It happens.

Move on and ignore it. I can't count how many death threats and offensive comments I've gotten throughout my career, but I'll never let them stop me from doing what I love.

Too bad it looks like this Fish is fried.

jett

D-Member
That's too bad. Just the Fez II teaser probably(more like undoubtedly) took more artistic effort and talent than anything Marcus Beer has ever done in his life, really a shame his vitriolic bullshit got to him like this. Probably compounded with all the verbal abuse he has been suffering for a long ass while now, and honestly not undeserved as he is a dick.

Fish clearly has some sort of mental issues, though. Should seek professional help

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus. I hope that he does this for better of his health. Must be hard to take that much hate (which is probably why he snaps so many times like he does).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom