• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer acknowledges ‘it’s been too long’ since Xbox’s last big first-party game

As a massive Xbox fan the last few years I am tired of the next year is gonna be big talk

My entire gaming life I was a tried and true "Sony Pony" and I always owned Xbox but it never really got a lot of my love.

Then once I started gaming nightly with Ybarra and even Spencer on several occasions hearing them talk about the future (off the record stuff) man did I feel that energy and felt like Xbox was going to rule this gaming universe so I started hyping Xbox before this current gen launched

Then Ybarra left Xbox and while I still gamed with him occasionally it was always on World of Warcraft for obvious reasons but my hype for Xbox has slowly fizzled

I hope they have great things in store but I do not have a lot of faith that Starfield will run well on consoles and its by far the game I am most looking forward to
What are the chances Starfield has a 60 fps mode? I'll be pissed if it's only 30 fps

Just thinking about next year for Sony. Is Spider-man 2 the only AAA 1st party game that Sony has?

Even if Spider-Man 2 and Their VR games were the only thing they released, their 3rd party exclusives are so strong next year it doesn’t even matter. As of now Final Fantasy 16 is still only playable on PS5, same with FF7 Rebirth.

I think a lot of people would have less of a problem with xbox releasing first party software this year had STALKER 2, Ark 2, and a few other of their big 3rd party games come out.

GymWolf

Anthem and AC are third party. If they were made by Sony, i would judge them more harshly. Its clear EA rushed out Anthem and it pretty much had no shot. Same thing with AC.

I just have higher standards for first party titles. Arkhane simply cant afford to release a game that looks like Redfall. I dont really mind games that do something different, but like Deathloop, Redfall isnt doing anything too different, is it? If you are making a generic zombie shooter then at least try to make it look good.
The development of the game started way before M acquisition, i was too harsh on the game.

If their next game still looks like this, then we can talk.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What are the chances Starfield has a 60 fps mode? I'll be pissed if it's only 30 fps
its native 4k 30 fps on the series x. It will definitely have a 60 fps mode. Should be 1440p 60 fps or might have some FSR 2.0 scaling.

If the game runs at 1080p 30 fps on a 4 tflops series s like they say it does then it should have no issues running at 60 fps on a console 3-4x more powerful.

leo-j

Given all the studios under them it’s only a matter of time before the games start rolling in.
I guess if you bought a Series X it sucks not seeing much first party content. Honestly I expect Sony to hit a wall as well, but it looks like they’re buying up timed exclusives to fill in those dead spots.
Sony haven’t hit a wall since 2007 when they launched Unch 1.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Have you seen how dreamy he is ?

No wonder so many Gaffers are obsessed with him.
687381.jpg

Chukhopops

Difference is Sony has thier shit together when it comes to game releases and MS does not. The Covid effect on Sony was a few minor delays but still a steady folw of AAA first party games bolstered by 3rd party deals and content. The Covid effect on MS was a barren generation thus far.
Minor delays lol. 11 months at least for Ragnarok at least is not a minor delay.
Wonder how the mood swings around here when Starfield comes out and is not nearly as big a hit as Xbox fans fantasize.
Starfield will still be played five years after it’s released. There are four times as many people right now playing Skyrim on Steam than Spider-Man and three times more playing Fallout 4.

It will have Czech supermodel legs and you know it - the only question is whether it will be magical at launch or magical six months after launch when mods drop.

Microsoft boss Bill Spectre apologizes for lack of Xbox content during the Xbox Series Quadruple X generation

Animated GIF

Todd Howard announces a new Skyrim re-release for current-gen consoles. Now in 32K (with original textures)!
I’m starting to understand why you enjoy endless remasters and terrible writing so much…

Fredrik

There is an interview where Todd says that some games play well at 30fps and he felt that their RPGs were among those. I took that as a hint that Starfield will be 30fps on console. Might still have a performance mode though.

for a while now, my series s has been for replaying game pass oldies & monkeying around in elden ring. otoh, & not being a god of war fan, replaying oldies is mostly what i've been doing on my ps5, too. so there's that...

Just thinking about next year for Sony. Is Spider-man 2 the only AAA 1st party game that Sony has?
I dunno, I’m sure there will be another one just because they’ve been consistent for years with this. Regardless 1 is better than none, I would’ve loved for at least one big exclusive xbox game this year - neither console has blown me away though I’m quite disappointed in this gen so far

Last edited:
Jesus dude, you like trash like anthem and ac unity but you don't understand why people like the immersive sims genre that basically only arkane does?

Deathloop was a misfire but these dudes didn't missed to make great (incredible if you like good level design) games since what? dark messiah? arx fatalis?

Deathloop still had an interesting game format and great level design, it was just a 7 instead of their usual 9.

I like open world looter shooter and if redfall has their usual level design in open world scale i'm gonna like that game a lot.

It's just the graphic that looks meh.
I don’t get the hate for deathloop I really loved it, maybe not prey level but I played the shit out of it

“A little light” is a bit of an understatement. They purchased a plethora of new studios years ago. I know games take awhile to create, but what is even going on over there where you can barely even get a screenshot or information about most of these games? Imo, those games are probably having serious developmental issues. We’ll see what 2023 has.

Last edited:

Thief1987

What is the point of this? I’m pretty sure I’ve been hearing him say this consistently since the XB One launch.
It's another episode of "we hear you..." saga, so just hollow pr talk. Like he don't know by himself that they didn't release anything worthwhile in a whole year.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Imagine if Bethesda wasn't bought by MS. I originally thought the low output of first party towards the end of last gen was so the teams could concentrate on flooding this gen with releases. Turns out they had poor management. Still do.

They need to look at some of their studios that actually work like the Coalition & Playground to see what they are doing right and learn from them. Probably promote a few to replace the obvious deadwood.

If Bethesda hadn’t been bought by MS, you’d have still seen the publisher release Ghostwire and Deathloop at this time. I’m not sure we’d be seeing posts from the likes of you haranguing Zenimax for ‘mismanagement’.

Wonder how the mood swings around here when Starfield comes out and is not nearly as big a hit as Xbox fans fantasize.

It’s Not just ‘xbox fans’, is it? Millions of fans of Bethesda’s RPGs want it to be a big hit. Ditto for the folks who’ve made it #3 in Steam’s Global wishlist charts.
Sadly for you, it’s more likely it’ll be just as big a hit as they fantasize.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If Bethesda hadn’t been bought by MS, you’d have still seen the publisher release Ghostwire and Deathloop at this time. I’m not sure we’d be seeing posts from the likes of you haranguing Zenimax for ‘mismanagement’.

It’s Not just ‘xbox fans’, is it? Millions of fans of Bethesda’s RPGs want it to be a big hit. Ditto for the folks who’ve made it #3 in Steam’s Global wishlist charts.
Sadly for you, it’s more likely it’ll be just as big a hit as they fantasize.
You definitely misread my comment. My comment was aimed at how piss poor MS's release schedule is that Bethesda's games are papering over grand canyon sized barren periods by MS. Now imagine if MS didn't buy Bethesda. Look at that MS release schedule. That's shit management and that's on MS.

Ozriel

M$FT
You definitely misread my comment. My comment was aimed at how piss poor MS's release schedule is that Bethesda's games are papering over grand canyon sized barren periods by MS. Now imagine if MS didn't buy Bethesda. Look at that MS release schedule. That's shit management and that's on MS.

Nope. I don’t believe that’s got anything to do with management. They just did not have enough first party studios prior to the purchases made from 2018 to date. With the exception of 343, Most of their 2016 era studios have been doing games at an efficient clip (e.g Gears, Forza, Minecraft).

Their release schedule planning for this year included releases for Starfield and Redfall, among with smaller stuff like Grounded. Content got hit by same delays that hit most other AAA games.

I expect the floodgates to open in 2023.

Oh shut up.

Every Xbox owner is happier with the direction Xbox has taken since he's been at the helm. It hasn't been perfect but he has made owning an Xbox 10X times 0 huProbably the main reason Sony fanboys get a hater boner for him.
If you care more about gamepass then exclusives ...I guess I can see that. If you care about big exciting exclusives though I'm not sure how happy you could be. I'm a ps5 and series x owner and I'm woefully disappointed with Xbox. Yeah GP is great. It's great that you can play MS exclusives day and date. However, the ps5 is so much more exciting bases on games. Halo Infinite is such a bummer of a game. Forza Horizon 5 is the only really great exclusive that actually delivered the goods- both as a game and as a next gen experience. Halo Infinite shoulda felt more next gen. The campaign feels so unfinished and the multiplayer lacks content. MSFS delivered on graphics but it's not much of a game for most.

Sony despite pissing me off with various things and kinda fibbing about cross gen still just destroys MS in the amount and quality of AAA exclusives. Whereas Xbox has 1 game that's delivered, Sony has a whole bunch- demons souls, returnal, gt7, Horizon fw, Ratchet, and soon to be Gow ragnarok. I'm disappointed that Ragnarok doesn't look next gen though it'll still wipe the floor with Infinite.

Point being MS has done a shit job up to this point. 2023 looks like it could finally deliver with forza, Redwall, starfield etc

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
There is an interview where Todd says that some games play well at 30fps and he felt that their RPGs were among those. I took that as a hint that Starfield will be 30fps on console. Might still have a performance mode though.
I'm thinking 30 fps through and through

Banjo64

cumsessed
And Microsoft had flight sim, forza horizon and halo out last year when the others had less games released. So?

Covid is not an excuse to release 0 major games in the period between 8th December 2021 and whichever of Redfall or Starfield in the first half of 2023.

Could (and probably realistically will be) a period of 18 months or so in between releases. Ridiculous.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Covid is not an excuse to release 0 major games in the period between 8th December 2021 and whichever of Redfall or Starfield in the first half of 2023.

Could (and probably realistically will be) a period of 18 months or so in between releases. Ridiculous.

Am glad you know so much about the inner workings of games at Microsoft knowing what’s going on.

So 18 months will make it next summer, let’s see if your right

Banjo64

cumsessed
Am glad you know so much about the inner workings of games at Microsoft knowing what’s going on.

So 18 months will make it next summer, let’s see if your right
18 months will take us to June 2023.

All I need to know is what’s relevant to me, and that is that Microsoft are struggling to have a consistent release window, still. Couldn’t care less about anything else.

Rewinding a little, but I don’t think MS did release more games than Nintendo in 2021. They had Bowser’s Fury, Game Builder Garage, Mario Golf, Miitopia, Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Wario Ware, Skyward Sword HD and Metroid Dread..

If you care more about gamepass then exclusives ...I guess I can see that. If you care about big exciting exclusives though I'm not sure how happy you could be. I'm a ps5 and series x owner and I'm woefully disappointed with Xbox. Yeah GP is great. It's great that you can play MS exclusives day and date. However, the ps5 is so much more exciting bases on games. Halo Infinite is such a bummer of a game. Forza Horizon 5 is the only really great exclusive that actually delivered the goods- both as a game and as a next gen experience. Halo Infinite shoulda felt more next gen. The campaign feels so unfinished and the multiplayer lacks content. MSFS delivered on graphics but it's not much of a game for most.

Sony despite pissing me off with various things and kinda fibbing about cross gen still just destroys MS in the amount and quality of AAA exclusives. Whereas Xbox has 1 game that's delivered, Sony has a whole bunch- demons souls, returnal, gt7, Horizon fw, Ratchet, and soon to be Gow ragnarok. I'm disappointed that Ragnarok doesn't look next gen though it'll still wipe the floor with Infinite.

Point being MS has done a shit job up to this point. 2023 looks like it could finally deliver with forza, Redwall, starfield etc
I agree for the most part but I thought halo was good and was disappointed in HFW. I also don’t play sims or racing games too much so Flight sim and forza are kinda just nothing to me…

As much as I know Xbox is heavily investing in first party games, it still feels like I’ve been waiting 15 years for the games to start coming. And as an Xbox fan, the whole “just wait, the games are coming” sentiment wore its welcome out a LONG time ago. Stop talking about it, be about it.

Since 2015 and Fallout 4 (their last big game) what have Bethesda made? Fallout 76 and ...... thats 8 years between major single player games. Their acquisitions made some games (id and arkane) but Bethesda proper not so much.
Considering from 2006 to 2015 we had 2 elder scrolls, and 3 fallout games (if you count obsidian's new vegas). And they were all highly rated and fun. We haven't gotten an Elder scrolls since gen 7 with the PS3/360. Skyrim just gets re-released. Same with GTA, no new game during the ps4/xbone gen.
Doom, Doom Eternal, TEW2, and Prey but I understand your point and I don't think we disagree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom