• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer acknowledges Amazon and Google as long term competitors, sidelines Sony.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lol @ every soyny blind fanboy that can't acknowledge how their favorite company is doing everything wrong from this year's march.
Moving to california and going full sjw/NPC, censoring games, not investing a dime in the asian market, not investing in new japanese quality exclusives (but hey, days gone), relying solely on naughty dog and santa monica, ps mini launch failure, etc. etc. etc.
You'll see next gen how laziness and stupidity will pay off. And I never owned a microsoft console so don't even bother with the console war stuff.

Umm, China Dream initiative, TGS line-up tour, funding Kojima Productions, the continued existence and output of Japan studio etc. is hardly not investing a dime.

WaterAstro

Lol @ every soyny blind fanboy that can't acknowledge how their favorite company is doing everything wrong from this year's march.
Moving to california and going full sjw/NPC, censoring games, not investing a dime in the asian market, not investing in new japanese quality exclusives (but hey, days gone), relying solely on naughty dog and santa monica, ps mini launch failure, etc. etc. etc.
You'll see next gen how laziness and stupidity will pay off. And I never owned a microsoft console so don't even bother with the console war stuff.
You know that this post is a joke when it says "not investing in new Japanese exclusives" when Sony has Death Stranding coming.

Heck, they have Judge Eyes coming and they didn't even need to invest anything. That's just how bad Japanese think about Microsoft which forces Microsoft to have to moneyhat for anything.

kyussman

I don't see any of the big three going anywhere anytime soon tbh.They all seem to be doing ok at the moment.

Do Apple/Amazon/Google really have the desire to go all in on gaming,I'm not really clued up about their future gaming plans.

Knowing how long it takes to develop really great games, 5-6 years we won't even see the first games of The Initiative until 2024 right? I mean they are still staffing up there and they won't even break ground on their new game until early 2020 most likely. So the earliest their game would come out would be late 2025.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Knowing how long it takes to develop really great games, 5-6 years we won't even see the first games of The Initiative until 2024 right? I mean they are still staffing up there and they won't even break ground on their new game until early 2020 most likely. So the earliest their game would come out would be late 2025.

If they are the standard big budgeted AAA like the comeptition. If they are GaaS like gash grabs, they can pump them out sooner, and in what is essentially incomplete states.

cdthree

A Google subsidiary and Nintendo funded Pokemon Go. By all accounts it struck gold. Google is fighting to offer and replace every product Microsoft makes with their own. Amazon is harder to say. They are spending 4 billion in new content for prime video in 2018. They own one gaming studio that I know of and a freeware gaming engine. They are fighting Microsoft to become the de facto cloud provider which is where games are going to be moved over to in the future. I think you are going to see true competitors will come out of China and South Korean in the near future, though. They have the population scales, size, revenue, profits, and most importantly the will to crash the party. I can see them coming in at some point and buying some huge guys in the industry and disrupting the current guys.

If they are the standard big budgeted AAA like the comeptition. If they are GaaS like gash grabs, they can pump them out sooner, and in what is essentially incomplete states.

If we start seeing those GaaS type stuff out of these new studios, that will be the end of XBox. Microsoft has to be seriously deluded if they think that approach has worked. Look at Sea of Thieves, nobody is buying it anymore. You get only one chance to make a first great impression and people will not pay $60 and wait 2 years to see the content.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If we start seeing those GaaS type stuff out of these new studios, that will be the end of XBox. Microsoft has to be seriously deluded if they think that approach has worked. Look at Sea of Thieves, nobody is buying it anymore. You get only one chance to make a first great impression and people will not pay $60 and wait 2 years to see the content.

I just hope it is enough to shift the "gaming as a service" mentality, which I do not see anytime soon, since MS as a company is shifting on that repeated revenue spend. As of right now, with what we currently know, it does not look attractive (to me) to basically have to have 3 or 4 separate subscription plans to get the full benefits the console has to offer. I hope they streamline the streaming service (that was not intentional, lol) into the GamePass with multiplayer included for those games on the service, otherwise, it will have that nickel and dime feel to all their packages, just on a larger $5-$10 a month individual charge scale.

I like piecemeal on some things, but too many things gets disinteresting.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It has a lot to do with platform agnosticism imho, which is where the industry is moving. Brands like PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo are going to lose that leverage.

But you are looking at this with too much of a "tech" approach. Content is king! Nothing beats great content. It's what we really want, more than anything else.

mckmas8808

I just hope it is enough to shift the "gaming as a service" mentality, which I do not see anytime soon, since MS as a company is shifting on that repeated revenue spend. As of right now, with what we currently know, it does not look attractive (to me) to basically have to have 3 or 4 separate subscription plans to get the full benefits the console has to offer. I hope they streamline the streaming service (that was not intentional, lol) into the GamePass with multiplayer included for those games on the service, otherwise, it will have that nickel and dime feel to all their packages, just on a larger $5-$10 a month individual charge scale.

I like piecemeal on some things, but too many things gets disinteresting.

You're right. Next-gen MS needs a Xbox Live+ that has every service combined for $99 per year or $12 a month.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
But you are looking at this with too much of a "tech" approach. Content is king! Nothing beats great content. It's what we really want, more than anything else.
Totally agree with what you say but. What if your a dev doing multiplats and Google says Hey put your game on our service, you've got your 150 million Ps4's and Xbox's and might sell to 10% of those owners. We have (for arguments sake) 300 million customers and half own Ps4 and Xbox's so that's another potential 150 million customers and if you only sell to 0.5% that's 75000 copies your not going to say no and word start to spread, adverts all over google as more games start to appear to the masses. Parents start to think yeah why pay £300-£400 for a box, it's not going to happen over night, could take years but i think it's a big possibility it could happen and then if they started to get the numbers big new exclusives could then appear on Google. It's not rocket science and doesn't take much imagination and i'm not saying it will succeed but i'd say they are going to try and push it to the masses.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Totally agree with what you say but. What if your a dev doing multiplats and Google says Hey put your game on our service, you've got your 150 million Ps4's and Xbox's and might sell to 10% of those owners. We have (for arguments sake) 300 million customers and half own Ps4 and Xbox's so that's another potential 150 million customers and if you only sell to 0.5% that's 75000 copies your not going to say no and word start to spread, adverts all over google as more games start to appear to the masses. Parents start to think yeah why pay £300-£400 for a box, it's not going to happen over night, could take years but i think it's a big possibility it could happen and then if they started to get the numbers big new exclusives could then appear on Google. It's not rocket science and doesn't take much imagination and i'm not saying it will succeed but i'd say they are going to try and push it to the masses.

If it works for Google, it'll be in the way you described. One huge problem for Google is alot of times, this type of stuff only works in America first. It just takes too long to spread world-wide.

Top Bottom