• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer admits defeat in console space, and doesn't think great games would help Xbox's market share.

skit_data

It means they sent technical teams from Xbox to Bethesda to help with Starfield back in 2021, but for Redfall they did so later than that.
Or at least it's something he's just saying to keep people's hopes about Starfield afloat.
Yeah I guess that makes more sense, but just like a lot of other stuff in the interview it’s worded in wierd ways (and ironically it’s way easier to interpret several statements in ways that puts Xbox in a worse light tbh).

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yeah I guess that makes more sense, but just like a lot of other stuff in the interview it’s worded in wierd ways (and ironically it’s way easier to interpret several statements in ways that puts Xbox in a worse light tbh).
They sent engineers from the coalition. They are the best UE developer on a technical level. If they could help fix it the game must of been an absolute mess technically. If they were not going to cancel it after the coalition couldn't fix it they should of just released it as a free game on steam and xbox. No excuse to charge for that mess.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Perhaps Microsoft is in Charge and Phil Spencer must do what they say to him?
he’s a senior executive and on the leadership team under the CEO, previously yes Xbox was under another department within Microsoft but that hasn’t been the case since ~2016? which is why the whole blame Mattrick even 10 years later is so ridiculous, Mattrick did have people above him in Microsoft telling him what to do

XXL

I love receipts.

Previously, Phil claimed XBOX was aiming for that #1 spot.

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

And there it is.....

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I think people are looking at this out of context because of people like playing favorites.

He's saying that even a legendary game release can't turn around the current issues that are preventing Xbox from being able to outsell Sony. We already knew this based on their problems about stock and a declining retail presence since some developers would rather go all-in on gamepass than print discs.

Starfield could be an 11/10, it could be a 20/10 game, and it still wouldn't change the needle because there's not enough consoles out there for a 20/10 game to sell enough to catch up. Sony had 6 months of shipment improvements and now has a ton of consoles out there to buy. The only thing Microsoft has with similar progress is the S, but because the S is very different than the more powerful X unit, there's many people who won't touch it. If Starfield could sell 10 million S and X each, and its a legendary 30/10 game, there would still need to be 10m of both consoles out there to buy. i don't even think there's 2m out there to buy right now for X.

People are looking at his speech as if he's saying that there's nothing he can do and that Xbox is going to coast from here on, but what he's really saying is that there currently isn't a path to catch up in consoles sold and he's 100% right, at least for now. He even included Activision in that deal because even if the deal went through and there's even higher demand, that won't move more consoles for Phil to out console Jim, if the consoles aren't there.

Whether or not Phil will push to change that or not is the only real question. As of now i am not seeing any changes.

The whole topic of conversation was about games and your conclusion completely skips over that.
look at the stuff I boded... tell me how anyone would read what you said as anything other than, the problem isn't the games but that Xbox doesn't have stock.

Just look at how many times you talked about Xbox and Sony stock...

Last edited:

Crayon

I think a lot of people are running with what he said about the great games, like he literally meant that. I don't think the truth is that they don't want to make them, but that they can't. Those Sony adventure games that everyone pretends to not want, that's exactly what they want and Phil is trying to provide some more palatable reason that they're not going to have them.

I think a lot of people are running with what he said about the great games, like he literally meant that. I don't think the truth is that they don't want to make them, but that they can't. Those Sony adventure games that everyone pretends to not want, that's exactly what they want and Phil is trying to provide some more palatable reason that they're not going to have them.
hey! i'm not pretending i don't want them (ellie, kratos, aloy), cuz i really don't... now, on the other hand? it'd appear that a helluva lotta other people actually, undeniably do. &, yeah, after 10+ years now, ms appears to be utterly lost when it comes to developing anything along similar lines. third-party-wise, remedy came closest...

93xfan

Banned
A thoughtful and balanced post…

Get him!!!!

Crayon

hey! i'm not pretending i don't want them (ellie, kratos, aloy), cuz i really don't... now, on the other hand? it'd appear that a helluva lotta other people actually, undeniably do. &, yeah, after 10+ years now, ms appears to be utterly lost when it comes to developing anything along similar lines. third-party-wise, remedy came closest...

I've only played a few myself but like you say undeniable that they are in super high demand. And I think it's equally undeniable that we see a whole lot of sour grapes. That's why you can get good games like flight sim and hifi but they don't help - Because it doesn't have a god of war, spiderman, etc.

Court docs reveal Xbox’s internal Last of Us 2 review: ‘Sets a new bar for what we hope to achieve’

Jazz_Jackrabbit

Neo Member
This is the lowest point for the Xbox brand since the Kinect debacle. So much hinges on that Activision/Blizzard acquisition. The future of Xbox depends on that deal. it's the Microsoft way

93xfan

Banned
if by some crazy chance the EU approves the buyout, I’m ready to make a “Jim Ryan admits defeat in the console space” thread full of his “PlayStation can’t compete” and “we’re going to have the buggiest version of CoD ever” comments.

Expect it to be a blast

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
This is the lowest point for the Xbox brand since the Kinect debacle...
I think the Xbone was the low point. Right now, they're facing criticism for failing to release any games and then dropping a turd like Redfall. That's a far cry from the Xbone, where literally the entirety of gaming culture revolted against their brand.

But 360 was the most popular in NA, and won there, it deserves to be mentioned ;) Furthermore, Wii lost its "magic touch" starting from 2010, and going down like a rocket in 2011 and 2012; this also shold be mentioned ;) So, it depends from the year, and Territory, Wii was not the most popular in all Territories and along the entire Gen.
Being the most popular in one market while being beaten by the competition worldwide doesn't mean shit.
You know what else is worth mentioning? The fact that the ps3 launched a year later than the xbox 360, was $100 - $200 more expensive depending on which versions of each console you compare, had a split memory pool, a processor that 5 people on the planet knew anything about programming for, inferior versions of multiplatform games, arrogant executives - and still beat the 360 in sales.

Poltz

I think the Xbone was the low point. Right now, they're facing criticism for failing to release any games and then dropping a turd like Redfall. That's a far cry from the Xbone, where literally the entirety of gaming culture revolted against their brand.
This is lower, they got smashed 2:1 in sales last gen and looks to be even worse this gen. Sony had a stellar decade with the PS4 which they didnt have with the PS3 and the ABK deal being blocked just compounds the distant 3rd place.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
if by some crazy chance the EU approves the buyout, I’m ready to make a “Jim Ryan admits defeat in the console space” thread full of his “PlayStation can’t compete” and “we’re going to have the buggiest version of CoD ever” comments.

Expect it to be a blast
You do realize that all 4 major regulatory bodies have to agree, right? And 2 out of the 4 already gave their decision to block it.

Once Jim Ryan does a "woe is us, we suck again" interview, then I'd be right there with you.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think a lot of people are running with what he said about the great games, like he literally meant that.
If he didn't literally mean that, then what message is that supposed to convey to the rest of us? That he's lying? That he's mistaken? That he's ignorant? I prefer that leaders of organizations speak truthfully, clearly, and with intent.

93xfan

Banned
You do realize that all 4 major regulatory bodies have to agree, right? And 2 out of the 4 already gave their decision to block it.

Once Jim Ryan does a "woe is us, we suck again" interview, then I'd be right there with you.
Not following it too closely, just having a bit of fun

Crayon

If he didn't literally mean that, then what message is that supposed to convey to the rest of us? That he's lying? That he's mistaken? That he's ignorant? I prefer that leaders of organizations speak truthfully, clearly, and with intent.

Lying. In this case, I think he knows that if they had a first party stable like sony's, xbox would be doing good. The problem is, ms is not currently capable of that quality. That is super harsh to hear for fans, so he softens it by saying that the games wouldn't help beat playstation anyhow.

ZehDon

Gold Member
This is lower, they got smashed 2:1 in sales last gen and looks to be even worse this gen. Sony had a stellar decade with the PS4 which they didnt have with the PS3 and the ABK deal being blocked just compounds the distant 3rd place.
Lol, not even close. Xbox has hardware people are buying and services people are enjoying. We're all just waiting for their games. This is the PS3 in the first half of its lifespan: a great console with poor games.

With the Xbone, their games, services, and hardware didn't matter - no one wanted anything to do with them, regardless of what they were selling. That's a lower point than console has ever had. It was so bad that Microsoft are still recovering.

Crayon

Lol, not even close. Xbox has hardware people are buying and services people are enjoying. We're all just waiting for their games. This is the PS3 in the first half of its lifespan: a great console with poor games.

With the Xbone, their games, services, and hardware didn't matter - no one wanted anything to do with them, regardless of what they were selling. That's a lower point than console has ever had. It was so bad that Microsoft are still recovering.

If you are still recovering after 10 years, maybe you are not recovering.

ZehDon

Gold Member
If you are still recovering after 10 years, maybe you are not recovering.
Who knows. Maybe the Xbone was a fatal blow that'll take two generations to play out and kill them. Spencer said they lost the generation they had to win, after all.

Last edited:

Crayon

Who knows. Maybe the Xbone was a fatal blow that'll take two generations to play out and kill them. Spencer said they lost the generation they had to win, after all.

A blow is a single event. They've had poor performance ever since that xbone stumbled out of the gate. If the run-up to launch was a blow, they could have rebounded much better than they did. Would there be effects that reverberate to this day? Sure. But did it have to be this bad? Nah.

Three

Well, Phil has been in charge there almost 10 years. I'm pretty sure that's the longest of any head of Xbox.

Not to mention MS itself has been in the xbox console space for 22 years, gaming even longer. Phil has been there for most of xbox's life. If it was just the CEO's time there and not the business then Jim Ryan has been doing a better job of releasing games with only 4 years in charge. It's inexcusable really.

Last edited:

Ziggs

Neo Member
They put all exclusives available to play for a $1 on the PC and people are still commenting about console sales lol. Also have to love the logic that being 3rd place in a market means you must go out of business. 'Oh but he said they're going for #1' well look what happens when he doesn't say that...

Top Bottom