• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Again Confirms Xbox Is Looking To Acquire More Studios - Bloomberg Interview

jhjfss

"Games are what gamers play. We build these platforms and services to deliver the best games to gamers everywhere, so we need a great supply of first party teams. Bethesda nearly doubles the size of our first party studios, meaning the studios that build games as part of Xbox, and we're still out there looking for other teams. It's important that we have a continued supply of great games for our gaming subscription and platforms."

quest

Not Banned from OT
Asobo or Bloober Team should be next.

NCWHnX6.gif

@gkTH

Okay guy, do what you want.
Me, waiting to play games on my PS5 (even no release date yet in my country T-T).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Japanese dev next.

But I thought armchair accountants said the Xbox division acts in its own silo that they can't buy studios?

Wow. I never knew the Xbox division was so much more profitable than Nintendo and Sony it could afford to get Zenmiax for $7.5 billion.

Last edited:

Stuart360

They’ve been buying studios for the past gen and yet they just launched a console with no first party games.

Start managing your studios. Because that’s where the issue is. Microsoft on paper has some of the best studios but it’s not translating into games.
Most of thre studios have been bought in the last 1-2 years to be fair. I think we will get a handfull next year, but its probably going to be 2022 before they start coming on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
They’ve been buying studios for the past gen and yet they just launched a console with no first party games.

Start managing your studios. Because that’s where the issue is. Microsoft on paper has some of the best studios but it’s not translating into games.
They only bought them recently and chose to honor previous contracts. Making AAA games isn’t a quick process.

Pallas

Pretty sure they will always be looking if a good opportunity presents itself but we don’t honestly need a thread each time Phil says he isn’t done acquiring studios.

More like...

4m2a63.jpg

You would still have those amazing first party studios from Sony.

I don’t think you understand how this works. Developing games is not only expensive but very time consuming, especially AAA hitters and It wasn’t until 2018 that you saw them buying studios because even Phil recognized that their first party output was pretty bad.

Ahhhhh the ole, we cant make good games so we will buy studios that can, trick. never fails.
Why not? Pretty much every major publisher has at one point.

Last edited:
Everytime a publisher buys a studio, it makes gaming that little less fun for millions of people.

They could have created so many new studios with the cash they're spending to not have games release on Playstation and (mostly) Switch.

So many jobs could have been created, games made, new franchises born. They could have made the whole industry so much more vibrant and diverse, truly making the Xbox brand unique and letting the whole hobby flourish in a way we've never seen before.

Instead they've spent a fortune making gaming just a little bit smaller, less robust and less enjoyable.

Still, Xbox fanboys get to spitefully enjoy the vast majority of console gamers having games taken away from them, for having the audacity to enjoy a different product to them, so at least someone will be happy about this.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Everything a publisher buys a studio, it makes gaming that little less fun for millions of people.

They could have created so many new studios with the cash they're spending to not have games release on Playstation and (mostly) Switch.

So many jobs could have been created, games made, new franchises born. They could have made the whole industry so much more vibrant and diverse, truly making the Xbox brand unique and letting the whole hobby flourish in a way we've never seen before.

Instead they've spent a fortune making gaming just a little bit smaller, less robust and less enjoyable.

Still, Xbox fanboys get to spitefully enjoy the vast majority of console gamers having games taken away from them, for having the audacity to enjoy a different product to them, so at least someone will be happy about this.

Don't worry. MS are in their final transitional stages to become a publisher.

Pallas

Everything a publisher buys a studio, it makes gaming that little less fun for millions of people.

How is gaming smaller and less robust with these acquisitions? They release their games on PC as well, and with XCloud and Gamepass you may not even need an Xbox or PC in the future to enjoy the content.

Last edited:

Neolombax

How is gaming smaller and less robust with these acquisitions? They release their games on PC as well, and with XCloud and Gamepass you may not even need an Xbox or PC in the future to enjoy the content.

Because PC is not the only alternative to an Xbox?

Chukhopops

What a pathetic, sodium-poisoned take, most of the studios they bought so far are smaller devs (InXile, Undead labs, Ninja Theory) for which the funding from MS is key to produce more games with a higher budget. Just compare Wasteland 2 with Wasteland 3, or Ori and Ori 2. If anything they are securing the existence of those studios and allowing them to grow without being at risk of dying if one of their games doesn't sell.

Even in the Zenimax deal you have several AA studios like Tango or Arkane who will benefit immensely from a) being funded and b) producing games for GP where engagement is more important than actual sales.

Come on phil you can do it, just buy PlayStation and add them to your Xbox family. One big happy family of gamers playing best of both world on one platform. And hey Google/Amazon could either of you just buy off Activision, Ubisoft, Konami, Capcom, From Software, Sega and Warner Games Division. Thank you!

:pie_roffles:j/k

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Except for Nintendo, both the console manufacturers grew by buying studios. And Xbox has no time to be Nintendo right now.
Whereas other console manufacturers grew their teams from a test tube, changed their shitty nappies, nurtured them through their difficult puberty years, put them through Uni...
I was going to post the same earlier, but couldnt be bothered. It gets to the point where you have seen enough of the same tired cliches.
I remember making a similar joke last year.
You make it seem like Sony devs were created in an incubation centre hatched by Kutaragi.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You would still have those amazing first party studios from Sony.
Sure, but if MS keeps up the pace there won't be anyone but the First Parties left to make PS5 game. All the while MS has all the studios but for some reason they either make no or mediocre/shitty games. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Pallas

Because PC is not the only alternative to an Xbox?
Speaking specifically on Xbox’s ecosystem it is, if you mean Sony,Nintendo then sure. Those are great alternative ecosystems.

Sure, but if MS keeps up the pace there won't be anyone but the First Parties left to make PS5 game. All the while MS has all the studios but for some reason they either make no or mediocre/shitty games. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Well I think the jury is still out on that, they acquired the studios to remedy their first party output issues. It’s a fair complaint though but I’m giving them a bit of leeway since those acquisitions happened between mid 2018 and now. I’m not giving them a free pass for their otherwise abysmal first party showing, aside from a couple of gems here and there but I can see that they are putting work in and trying to change the popular narrative that Xbox has no games.

Stuart360

They should buy THQ. I said that before but they would be perfect for Gamepass content. THQ apparently have around 70 titles in development, and they are the masters of AA games. It would be steady and regular content for Gamepass.

//DEVIL//

Ahhhhh the ole, we cant make good games so we will buy studios that can, trick. never fails.
Yes because Sony didn’t buy naughty dog, insomniac recently, Kill zone team ( forgot what the bell they are called ) and many others.

If anything, Sony first party games are that good because of these purchases. MS is doing the same thing.
Also I would rather MS buy them ( specially these small teams) rather Sony for a single reason. Sony will kill the studio after a single failure . While MS has the resources to keep them and get their games on game pass anyway. )

Last edited:

If you watched any of the videos from the studios that MS bought such as Ninja Theory, Obsiden etc you would have heard them say that as a independent studio they were always 6 months away from shutting their doors. Go and see how many studios go broke. Go see how many have to fund games with go fund me's. Just watch how much better the next games from Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Obsiden, Compulsion etc look compared to their last ones.
MS buying those studios kept people in jobs, added more jobs and bigger budgets to make better games.

You are so off the mark.

Last edited:

Starstruck

Banned
So giving Ninja Theory money so they can make whatever they want instead of worrying about paying rent is a bad thing?
If they can’t afford the rent is their problem, if they not make good games they will have problems, no matter if they are under Sony or Ms

Top Bottom