• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer appearance at the AMD CES 2019 Keynote.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah and that sony might not.. is what I really gained from this.

How do you figure when it's already been said that Sony has been working with them with Navi?

Spencer/MS like to be everywhere right now because they want to build a mindshare going into next gen.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
How do you figure when it's already been said that Sony has been working with them with Navi?
It just shows that they wanted stage presence of one console manufacturer, rather than zero. To avoid conflict of interest they could have MS because Sony might no longer be a partner.

Sony may have started with Navi but might pull a 180.

I don't think backwords compatibility is in danger because emulating DX12 hardware from one another is not like in the past where consoles had very unique graphic cards with licenses tied to them. On the plus side if PS5 goes nvidia that improves the chances of PS3 backwords compatibility. Also AMD's software and tech is usually open source, so probably nothing exclusive on PS4 hardware newer nvidia hardware doesn't have.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It just shows that they wanted stage presence of one console manufacturer, rather than zero. To avoid conflict of interest.

I don't think backwords compatibility is in danger because emulating DX12 hardware from one another is not like in the past where consoles had very unique graphic cards with licenses tied to them. On the plus side if PS5 goes nvidia that improves the chances of PS3 backwords compatibility.

It was said last year that custom instructions in Navi itself was a product of Sony and AMD. They are not going to do a 180. This is crazy talk.

Nvidia it's too costly and does not have an APU solution, nor will the console use discreet. Why, money that's why.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned

It was said last year that custom instructions in Navi itself was a product of Sony and AMD. They are not going to do a 180. This is crazy talk.

Yeah would be dumb of sony losing the R&D they did with AMD but at the same time, all that also goes to MS. Similar to how IBM gave them similar tech to the Cell Processor. It is pretty crazy but it might happen. Using a AMD CPU and a Discreet GPU or Laptop GPU from nvidia would be a pleasant surprise and differentiate the consoles. But you're right it is very unlikely.

VAL0R

Banned
Didn't Phil pretty much just say that all the games made for Xbox One will be available on XCloud soon? Isn't that news?

Edit:

"AAA gaming to any device and we're using the silicon work that we've done together to ensure that the thousands of games that have already been built for the Xbox platform are enabled on that platform [XCloud], with no work from the developer. And that's really down to the work our teams have done together to ensure that those cloud blades that we're putting in our azure data centers today run all of the great Xbox games that people love to play."

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Didn't Phil pretty much just say that all the games made for Xbox One will be available on XCloud soon? Isn't that news?

Edit:

"AAA gaming to any device and we're using the silicon work that we've done together to ensure that the thousands of games that have already been built for the Xbox platform are enabled on that platform [XCloud], with no work from the developer. And that's really down to the work our teams have done together to ensure that those cloud blades that we're putting in our azure data centers today run all of the great Xbox games that people love to play."

Interesting. I mean they are essentially just taking Xbox hardware and using it in their XCloud servers.

Kind of smart in some ways as it would probably drive down the cost of hardware if you are using it in both consoles and servers.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah and that sony might not.. is what I really gained from this.
Sony is using AMD too.

It just shows that they wanted stage presence of one console manufacturer, rather than zero. To avoid conflict of interest they could have MS because Sony might no longer be a partner.

I don't think backwords compatibility is in danger because emulating DX12 hardware from one another is not like in the past where consoles had very unique graphic cards with licenses tied to them. On the plus side if PS5 goes nvidia that improves the chances of PS3 backwords compatibility. Also AMD's software and tech is usually open source, so probably nothing exclusive on PS4 hardware newer nvidia hardware doesn't have.
Too much false assumptions.

Sony even co-developed some Navi features for consoles.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

Edit:

Was this known before?

Three

Edit:

This only suggests as was already known that they will install xbox one hardware blades that are capable of running those games not that all the games will be available on the service.

This only suggests as was already known that they will install xbox one hardware blades that are capable of running those games not that all the games will be available on the service.
Exactly, native operation with no work involved. That doesn't mean they can just add whatever games they want, they need publishers on board so it will be select titles.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think the absence of Sony at AMD's keynote is simply due to the fact that they are laying low, just like they said they would. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it's a strategy that could work, but it's risky as well. As previously mentioned in this thread. Phil is taking full advantage of this, trying to soak up all the mindshare. This means that when Sony does decide to reveal what they've been working on all this time...it's going to need to be far and beyond what Microsoft is doing. Why? Because why would you make us wait all this time, skipping E3, essentially manufacturing all this hype only to see that you're doing the same shit as Microsoft is doing?

It's like Sony is Goku and is right now going into the hyperbolic time chamber to emerge as Super Saiyan 2 Sony. Xbox is Vegeta, doing everything they can right now to keep up and take over. A silly analogy...but i think it's appropriate. Sorry for those who never watched the Dragon Ball series and won't get this.

edited for accuracy

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Completely ignoring the PR horseshit, this is a really great example of how you can make people believe lies by repeating them endlessly. The AMD person introduced Phil Spencer as a "legend in the gaming industry" as if he has some long gaming heritage and has actually been instrumental or important to gaming when the reality is that he's a suit who's done absolutely nothing. People just keep repeating horseshit like this about him until people stop fact checking and just assume it's true. It's crazy how many articles and videos on the internet that you can read where they refer to him as if he actually made games or has been involved with them for decades.

He's done absolutely nothing for gaming. He's just a talking head for Microsoft who hasn't actually delivered on anything tangible since we've been subjected to seeing his head on the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Spencer_(business_executive)

Man, what a load of crap.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Legend can also just mean extremely famous in a certain field and I think Phil qualifies as being extremely famous though he is in fact just a talking head.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Completely ignoring the PR horseshit, this is a really great example of how you can make people believe lies by repeating them endlessly. The AMD person introduced Phil Spencer as a "legend in the gaming industry" as if he has some long gaming heritage and has actually been instrumental or important to gaming when the reality is that he's a suit who's done absolutely nothing. People just keep repeating horseshit like this about him until people stop fact checking and just assume it's true. It's crazy how many articles and videos on the internet that you can read where they refer to him as if he actually made games or has been involved with them for decades.

He's done absolutely nothing for gaming. He's just a talking head for Microsoft who hasn't actually delivered on anything tangible since we've been subjected to seeing his head on the internet.

Wasn't Phil a developer prior to becoming Xbox Boss? Phil is a gamer through and through sir. Now I don't know if I'd go as far as a legend. He's done wonders to turn Xbox around though. The Xbox One X, the studio acquisitions and the fact that Xbox is now one of the main pillars of Microsoft's business structure is certainly due to Phil's work. he deserves credit for that. I still think "Legend" is taking it a bit too far

dirthead

Banned
Legend can also just mean extremely famous in a certain field and I think Phil qualifies as being extremely famous though he is in fact just a talking head.

Almost every time someone mentions his name, it's prefaced by "a legend in the gaming industry." He's famous because people erroneously repeat that he's famous. He's the Paris Hilton of gaming. It's fucking embarrassing.

Wasn't Phil a developer prior to becoming Xbox Boss? Phil is a gamer through and through sir. Now I don't know if I'd go as far as a legend. He's done wonders to turn Xbox around though. The Xbox One X, the studio acquisitions and the fact that Xbox is now one of the main pillars of Microsoft's business structure is certainly due to Phil's work. he deserves credit for that. I still think "Legend" is taking it a bit too far

He was never a developer. He was just a manager at Microsoft with good soft skills (ie. good at manipulating dumb people). I'd take 100 to 1 odds that he's not actually a gamer and that the whole thing is an act. I know business man head, and he's got it in spades. He doesn't give a shit about gaming.

This is the only footage of him ever playing a game, and it's blatantly obvious that he's not a gamer. He can't wait to take his hands off the gamepad.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Lol. Ok.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Almost every time someone mentions his name, it's prefaced by "a legend in the gaming industry." He's famous because people erroneously repeat that he's famous. He's the Paris Hilton of gaming. It's fucking embarrassing.

He was never a developer. He was just a manager at Microsoft with good soft skills (ie. good at manipulating dumb people). I'd take 100 to 1 odds that he's not actually a gamer and that the whole thing is an act. I know business man head, and he's got it in spades. He doesn't give a shit about gaming.

This is the only footage of him ever playing a game, and it's blatantly obvious that he's not a gamer. He can't wait to take his hands off the gamepad.

So let's assume that you're right and this is the only footage of him playing a game. Does that disqualify him from being a "legend" in the gaming industry? I mean I'm sure not all Sony executives are gamers...but then again I don't think anybody is calling them legends...well maybe Kaz when he was there. It's strange given the PS4's success...I mean somebody has to get the credit right?

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

All this hate for no reason. Did someone hurt your feelings or something? You must be one of those flat earth conspiracy theories kind of guy with the kind of shit you are posting in this thread.

MS and AMD have a huge partnership and there is nothing wrong having Phil there. He’s done a lot for gaming at MS, no one can deny that. Stop being butt hurt just because he’s been called legend once, nobody cares!

dirthead

Banned
So let's assume that you're right and this is the only footage of him playing a game. Does that disqualify him from being a "legend" in the gaming industry? I mean I'm sure not all Sony executives are gamers...but then again I don't think anybody is calling them legends...well maybe Kaz when he was there. It's strange given the PS4's success...I mean somebody has to get the credit right?

You can actually make an argument for someone like Mark Cerny. He programmed Marble Madness and worked on Sonic 2.

Some random suit who was a project manager on Microsoft Encarta? Give me a fucking break. The "disingenuous bullshit" meter is going off the charts.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You can actually make an argument for someone like Mark Cerny. He programmed Marble Madness and worked on Sonic 2.

Some random suit who was a project manager on Microsoft Encarta? Give me a fucking break. The "disingenuous bullshit" meter is going off the charts.

So more and more it seems that you would need to have some experience making games in order to qualify as a legend in your eyes. Fair enough, I guess everybody has their criteria, but I still think Phil deserves credit for the moves he made. Be it as a suit or a gamer.

dirthead

Banned
So more and more it seems that you would need to have some experience making games in order to qualify as a legend in your eyes. Fair enough, I guess everybody has their criteria, but I still think Phil deserves credit for the moves he made. Be it as a suit or a gamer.

Which moves? The disastrous Xbox One launch? The laughable 360 hardware design flaws? The shitty Windows store and UWP?

Really nice moves.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The level of stupid in these posts is in incredible. Anyone thinking that AMD is abandoning Sony is an idiot and should have all internet privileges revoked.

rfda2.jpg

Sony has made many comments about their relationship with AMD. They're relationship is just fine. AMD making an appearance with MS on stage does not at all in any way indicate that they are exclusive partners. AMD would not abandon that relationship since they have clearly profited nicely from it. Selling 91 million PS4 using AMDs tech at it's core, no doubt drastically helped AMD's bottom line. No business with a functioning brain would throw all of that under the bus to go with a competitor who provided far less to their botton line than Sony.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

Which moves? The disastrous Xbox One launch? The laughable 360 hardware design flaws? The shitty Windows store and UWP?

Really nice moves.
I don't know if he peed in your Cheerios as a kid or not but I think your hate for a dude is a little unfounded. He wasn't in charge of Xbox until well after the Xbone launch. That was Don Mattrick's (sp?) failure. The 360's design flaws would fall on J Allard or Phil Moore's head.

From what I've seen, Phil Spencer has made all of the right moves for the gamer since he has been in charge. Between building a cohesive link between Windows and Xbox, fixing (as much as possible) a DEEPLY flawed product in the initial xbone, to the launch of the X (which I don't have because I'm probably not buying another Xbox now that they have bridged xbox and PC.)

He has also been a pioneer in bridging the consoles together and has been at the forefront of cross play. As far as "suits" go (as a guy currently in a suit I don't understand why we get all the hate) he seems to have the gamer's best interest in mind. There are some executives who view customer bases as something that can be exploited and have money extracted (Donny boy) and there are other executives who want to drive value and enjoyment to a customer in a profitable manner. I think Phil is the latter, and while that might not make him a legend he definitely deserves more than the venom you are spewing his way. He is one of the good ones.

EDIT: I'm not going to give him credit for any of the developer acquisitions they have made yet because if they kill Obsidian or ruin it like they did Rare I'll never forgive him.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Really nice moves.

Phil was not in charge when the Xbox one launched. *Sigh...the fact that you even mentioned this is evidence that you don't know anything about Phil and are simply biased because he doesn't work for Sony. I'm ending this conversation because you lack even the most basic knowledge to render a cohesive argument.

Last edited:

llien

So there are Intel and nVidai, both used to 60% margins (AMD is at half that), one lacking on GPU department, other on CPU department.
I don't see Sony not going AMD with PS5.
They went with them in Buldozer times, it worked so well for them, they could even sell consoles at launch for small profit.

if PS5 goes nvidia that improves the chances of PS3 backwords compatibility.
Cell CPU says "lol".

Three

He was a developer for the Encyclopedia Encarta and a dev manager for Microsoft Money. Then he moved to running Rare after MS bought it from Nintendo to make avatars etc. He then was the Head of MS game studios and kinect for a while then xbox boss when Matt left.

Dokku

Wow, it seems like Phil Spencer is a bit like Marmite. You either love him or hate him.

The truth is alot more obvious and evident but not as readily accepted by both sides. If Phil had been head of Xbox at the launch of the Xbox One do you think it would have gone any differently? He was part of the leadership team that launched the Xbox One so I'd be willing to bet no.

When Phil succeeded The Don of Xbox his job was to repair the Xbox brand. His credentials as a gamer and developer are doubtful at best but his credentials as a leader and as someone who's working to make the Xbox brand great again is indisputable.

In my opinion, I think he's the best thing to have happened to Xbox in the past decade from a business point of view.

As a gamer or engineer, well, I don't think he's up to scratch in that department, but we've seen what happens when you put genius engineers in charge of businesses like this (I.e. Crazy Ken).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So there are Intel and nVidai, both used to 60% margins (AMD is at half that), one lacking on GPU department, other on CPU department.
I don't see Sony not going AMD with PS5.
They went with them in Buldozer times, it worked so well for them, they could even sell consoles at launch for small profit.

Cell CPU says "lol".
Sony is playing a big part in Navi’s development. Sony ain’t going anywhere.
Read here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...vi-for-sonys-playstation-5-vega-suffered/amp/
It’s mind boggling that we have people stupid enough to believe that.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned

Shigeru Miyamoto, Yu Suzuki, Will Wright, Tim Schafer, Hideo Kojima and others are Legends. After these i put Cerny, since he is more behind the curtains ... Philis Spencerina is soooo far of being considered

A) a game designer
B) a legend among game designer
C) a gamer

You can see from afar an Microsoft employee, they all have the same "odor" .. all corporate snakes. He was part of the Encarta Team, that is all his pedigree ... he didnt make any game, he didnt code anything.

His job might have been printing encarta cd covers for all we know. He is a puppet, elevated to some fake fame. All he had to do is be "Fuck You Don! I can do betta!"

He keeps promising more 1st party support, less 3rd party since 2014. If Don is responsible for the xbone fiasco, Phil should be held accountable for everything post 2013 ... every game project, every bundle, everything under his umbrella. Yet he got some many "freepasses" like Messi in his whole career.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

Jeeeeeeeesus bro!!! You sound SUPER salty. Did you mean to come off like that or what? Like, salt is pouring out of my screen right now. Crazy AF.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Isn't Dorthead the same guy who threw a shit fit over producers being insignificant? Lol

lynux3

AMD would have been better off introducing a real legend in the gaming industry, Mark Cerny.

Great Hair

Banned
If Phil is considered a Legend, than Miyamoto, Suzuki have to be Gods. Else it makes no sense to put them on the same pedestal. Phil is at best/most their Bobby Boucher.

RzSUBBc.jpg

I even had an Xbox Booth during the e3 of 2014? in Lotro up ... sadly no one stopped by (Crickhollow, blame them not me Phil). ;=)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Shigeru Miyamoto, Yu Suzuki, Will Wright, Tim Schafer, Hideo Kojima and others are Legends. After these i put Cerny, since he is more behind the curtains ... Philis Spencerina is soooo far of being considered

A) a game designer
B) a legend among game designer
C) a gamer

You can see from afar an Microsoft employee, they all have the same "odor" .. all corporate snakes. He was part of the Encarta Team, that is all his pedigree ... he didnt make any game, he didnt code anything.

His job might have been printing encarta cd covers for all we know. He is a puppet, elevated to some fake fame. All he had to do is be "Fuck You Don! I can do betta!"

He keeps promising more 1st party support, less 3rd party since 2014. If Don is responsible for the xbone fiasco, Phil should be held accountable for everything post 2013 ... every game project, every bundle, everything under his umbrella. Yet he got some many "freepasses" like Messi in his whole career.

Ok, so your criteria for legend means you have to be a gamer, involved in the development of games...etc. Like I said before, everybody has their criteria. I'm not familiar with the "Encarta" team. Would you care to explain why this is a negative thing? Also your speculation on his career is seriously biased.

I'll agree that since he's taken over he should be held responsible for the majority of moves Xbox has made. However, I think he get free passes due to the fact that timelines overlap. Xbox didn't start a new when he took over and Phil was pretty clear on what his objectives were. The first thing he wanted to fix, was the hardware. Xbox One X did that. He then wanted to work on the services. Game Pass is a product of that effort. Lastly he wanted to work on the games. From a business perspective its the best way to do this because what good are the games if you don't have a proper platform to play it on? the services just enhance the value of the games. So think of the hard ware and services as laying the foundation upon which the gaming experience can be built. Good games take time. He's admitted this time and time again. However it's not like he's just sitting on his thumb now that the X is here and game pass is here. He's actively courted Japanese developers, he greenlit the acquisitions of multiple studios. He's now laying future foundations. It's still left to be seen if this will bring us what we want as gamers, but I would say he hasn't given me any reason to doubt him specifically so far.

You can't blame Phil Spencer, for example, for Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 or even halo 5's single player. He has no hand in how those games are developed. Yet you put Mark Cerny up there for making...what Marble Madness and Knack? I'm not saying Mark Cerny doesn't deserve any credit, but if we are keeping things factual, didn't Mark Cerny say you need 8 teraflops to do 4k gaming? Didn't he say the PS4 Pro would be able to do 8.4 teraflops with the 16-bit variable handling? Neither one of those statements is true. And Mark Cerny is close to being a legend for you? Ok...have fun with that.

Top Bottom