• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer confirms that first-party devs have the choice of whether or not to make games cross-gen

All the confusion could've been resolved by just stating the following yesterday:

"Select Series games will have cross-gen iterations on XBO platforms for the near future."

There. Encompasses everything they've been kind of long-winded on lately and also gives a decent time range for how long cross-gen support will continue while leaving room for that in case it expands or contracts from their internal target time frame (which honestly doesn't need to be stated publicly).

I agree with others saying they need to tighten up/synergize their messaging; the past month or so it hasn't been 100% optimal. I get Phil likes to be candid but there's a thing as being too candid sometimes and I think there's been some of that recently.

Be candid with:

-Discussing hardware, software and ecosystem strengths compared to competition. Be assertive, even. Shows strength and determination.

-Owing up to possibly letting down expectations. They did a good example of this after the May event (which I still enjoyed, but there wasn't really that much actual gameplay).

When to be less candid:

-Speaking up publicly on strategies that might cause confusion among gamers, upset parts of your fanbase or feed negative rhetoric in next-gen console discussion (notice Sony isn't publicly touting ports of PS 1st-party games to PC even though the pace of that has been accelerating, and things like the deal with Epic virtually ensure even more of that to come in the future in shorter intervals. Keep it out of sight of the fanbase, and it'll stay out of their mind).

Big bolded. MS didnt say that because that's been standard for the past 2/3 gens. They like to talk and it hurts them. Phil SPENCER should stop talking tbh

Deto

Banned
All the confusion could've been resolved by just stating the following yesterday:

"Select Series games will have cross-gen iterations on XBO platforms for the near future."

There. Encompasses everything they've been kind of long-winded on lately and also gives a decent time range for how long cross-gen support will continue while leaving room for that in case it expands or contracts from their internal target time frame (which honestly doesn't need to be stated publicly).

I agree with others saying they need to tighten up/synergize their messaging; the past month or so it hasn't been 100% optimal. I get Phil likes to be candid but there's a thing as being too candid sometimes and I think there's been some of that recently.

Be candid with:

-Discussing hardware, software and ecosystem strengths compared to competition. Be assertive, even. Shows strength and determination.

-Owing up to possibly letting down expectations. They did a good example of this after the May event (which I still enjoyed, but there wasn't really that much actual gameplay).

When to be less candid:

-Speaking up publicly on strategies that might cause confusion among gamers, upset parts of your fanbase or feed negative rhetoric in next-gen console discussion (notice Sony isn't publicly touting ports of PS 1st-party games to PC even though the pace of that has been accelerating, and things like the deal with Epic virtually ensure even more of that to come in the future in shorter intervals. Keep it out of sight of the fanbase, and it'll stay out of their mind).

marketing is confusing, because they want to sustain narrative on the internet.

the narrative started to grow that crossgen games would be leveled down, Phill runs on the internet saying that the developer chooses
If MS were more concerned with producing games than reading forums and twitter on the internet, the xbox would earn more.

- If xbox launches crossgen, it is pro consumer and exclusive new generation is anti consumer (PS5).

- If the game is exclusive to SX, it's good because it's the developer's freedom.

Then Phill says he doesn't like console wars on the internet.
All xbox marketing is aimed at giving arguments and creating narratives for CW.

You can be sure that from now on this will be the narrative of "xbox fans":

they will make spiderman MM (PS5) vs spiderman (PS4) montages to say it can ran on the PS4 and say that Sony is anti consumer.

But if games come out only on SX, it will be good because it is freedom for the developer.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
I don't think so. Some of these 1st party studios are working on games that won't be out for a few years.
Yea but they also are having new games scaled back to a console that could play dead framerate 3 or even scalebound properly, and you think an old system that cant run those games can run the next two year catalogue of next gen games?

LucidFlux

Well that's another spin on things. We just rewrote my company's brand messaging pillars so it's been fascinating comparing the vastly different marketing approaches for both companies. Sony has taken a clearly defined position for their new product (We believe in generations, experience not before possible, etc.) whereas Microsoft is taking a much wider approach (52 CU wide) and are focused on checking as many boxes as they can, pandering to seemingly every type of customer. Pro consumer is always the best stance to take but it's disingenuous when it comes at the expense of compromising your product offering in the eyes of your core audience. If you are mandating that some number of these games for X number of years must also work on your old platform then you are not providing customers who are purchasing your new hardware with the best experience possible. It isn't dishonest, the experience will of course be better, but as the expression goes you can't have your cake and eat it too and for however long these games are mandated to work on Xb1 then the experience will be compromised.

Anyway, Microsoft has said this "to...allow players to play the games that they want with the people they want to play with, anywhere they want..."

and this "all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices"

but also this "If a creator comes to us and says 'No, I really want to focus on next generation' with their games, we're completely open to that and we're very supportive of that."

So it's freedom for the players to play where they want on the device they want, except when it's trumped by the freedom of the 2nd and 3rd party creators who don't want to?

I get what they're doing. Throwing the kitchen sink is really quite a genius approach if you don't read between the lines.

I just hope MS actually comes out next week and wows us with some great content. It's been too long since I've been excited about Xbox.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Phil needs to get a PR person, their messaging is everywhere right now for all the wrong reasons.
No its not. He simply said that unlike Sony, MS first party studios won't be mandated to create just first party games. On the other hand, if a studio (like Bloober Team) wants to only target next Gen, Phil won't force them to do otherwise.

Last edited:
LucidFlux LucidFlux - The problem for Microsoft is 90% of their sales in the last few years have been XBox One S, not X. Whereas I hear Sony is building 9-10 million PS5s for the launch period. They know they can have games that will only come on PS5 and people will still buy the more expensive hardware in the multi-millions during the Nov-Feb period, whereas Microsoft doesn't have that prospect. So MS plays this 'we're consumer friendly' card, but to what avail?

Nickolaidas

"We're going to release all our games on every single X-Box system (yes, even the 2001 one), but they're only going to be playable on a Series X. The Series X is 12TFs, but it's also 25, 48 and 224 according to the needs of the game. The Series X needs to be online all the time, but you can play offline with no problem whatsoever. We're not releasing any single player games, but many of our games won't have a multiplayer and/or online component whatsoever. Our main rival in this generation is the Stadia, but we're actually considering the NES to be the Series X main antagonist."

"Any questions?"

Thirty7ven

Banned
“Yes, no, maybe. It could, if, but. It’s whatever you guys want to hear and whatever suits our goals. Listen the takeaway is that this is good for everyone.”

LucidFlux

LucidFlux LucidFlux - The problem for Microsoft is 90% of their sales in the last few years have been XBox One S, not X. Whereas I hear Sony is building 9-10 million PS5s for the launch period. They know they can have games that will only come on PS5 and people will still buy the more expensive hardware in the multi-millions during the Nov-Feb period, whereas Microsoft doesn't have that prospect. So MS plays this 'we're consumer friendly' card, but to what avail?

Exactly. This is why their messaging is so convoluted to the informed folk. For those who don't keep a finger on the pulse of this industry, Microsoft has solutions to sell everyone whether it's their most powerful console or a subscription on a device you already own. We'll see how it turns out soon enough.

REE Machine

Banned
TBH I see the future for XBox as Game Pass on PC & xCloud on Android, not Xbox hardware.
They may as well just become an app and stay services based at this point then because phil is not giving me incentive to pick up the new hardware. Its like going into a restaurant and the owner comes up to me and says "well just so you know, you dont have to eat here"

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
LOL

In the end, all I care about are the games.. not the PR.

So you can be wishy washy with PR all you want Phil, and Greenberg can be a brain dead dolt on Twitter... just make me have fun.

G-Bus

Banned
Can this dude just shut the fuck up already.

23rd is almost here. Hopefully they know what they're doing.

jakinov

LOL

23:59
Phill: "the games will all be crossgen"
xbox fan: right there, pro consumer xbox nice, Sony trash launching PS5 exclusive

00:00
Phill: "the developer decides"
xbox fan: right there, freedom for developers, nice xbox

Sony launches exclusive new generation, is anti-consumer because the xbox launches crossgen
But if MS decides to launch exclusive SX, it's good because it's freedom for the developer.

Xbox marketing is focused on FUD, "sustainable performance" to say that the PS5 is unsustainable performance.

Narrative to give argument for fanboy to do console wars on the internet:

- If xbox launches crossgen, it is pro consumer and exclusive new generation is anti consumer.

- if the xbox releases exclusive only on SX, it is free for the developer.
There's a difference between making something exclusive because you can versus because you have to. I don't know what mandate Sony has or the goals of individual developers. But it's fine to praise both points. If a developer can release a game on an older platform but chooses not to because they want them to buy a new console, that's not in the favor of the consumer. There stance is basically, that they aren't going to arbitrarily decide, nope don't release it on Xbox One because we want to sell new Xboxes; but if a developer really wants to make a game that won't work on Xbox One then they won't stop them.

I don't think PlayStation is doing anything against the consumers interest unless they know certain games coming out would work perfectly fine on a PS4 but refuse to release it simply to sell more consoles near launch. Even if they did it, it's a pretty mild thing to do. Business to consumer relationship is about balance of benefit between two parties. You can't be 100% for the consumer. Else McDonalds would serve all breakfast items 24/7 and never close the inside of their restaurant ever; and every store would be open 24/7 for the benefit of the consumer.

sainraja

They have already announced The Medium which are only coming to XSX this holiday. Xbox One support is also only for the first year. There was never a forced directive.

What you say and do aren't always in alignment . That's clearly the case here and the reason for why YOU even need to point that out. They've been saying they want to make games accessible across as many devices as they can.

What he is saying now is no different than what's happened in the past with 360/PS3 → XONE/PS4. We had games that were "cross-generation." You don't try to market something that's already the standard. From what I understood and based on this thread a lot of other people, is that you could buy an Xbox One game and later buy the same game for the Series X and you'd get the updated version.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
What you say and do aren't always in alignment . That's clearly the case here and the reason for why YOU even need to point that out. They've been saying they want to make games accessible across as many devices as they can.

What he is saying now is no different than what's happened in the past with 360/PS3 → XONE/PS4. We had games that were "cross-generation." You don't try to market something that's already the standard. From what I understood and based on this thread a lot of other people, is that you could buy an Xbox One game and later buy the same game for the Series X and you'd get the updated version.
Yes, its called Smart Delivery.

ShaikhCroft

I really think it's because Hellblade II is a late 2021 or early 2022 release. We will see though.
They said they won't be announcing a game that is more than a year left till release. So is it possible for Hellblade 2 being a Holiday 20 title? 🤔

pasterpl

LOL

23:59
Phill: "the games will all be crossgen"
xbox fan: right there, pro consumer xbox nice, Sony trash launching PS5 exclusive

00:00
Phill: "the developer decides"
xbox fan: right there, freedom for developers, nice xbox

Sony launches exclusive new generation, is anti-consumer because the xbox launches crossgen
But if MS decides to launch exclusive SX, it's good because it's freedom for the developer.

Xbox marketing is focused on FUD, "sustainable performance" to say that the PS5 is unsustainable performance.

Narrative to give argument for fanboy to do console wars on the internet:

- If xbox launches crossgen, it is pro consumer and exclusive new generation is anti consumer.

- if the xbox releases exclusive only on SX, it is free for the developer.

any source for the bolded part?

sainraja

Yes, its called Smart Delivery.

Okay? lol did you read the conversation that I was responding to?

BTW, 'smart delivery' was exactly what Sony did last gen with PSN titles, it was just called 'cross-buy'. Now I don't know that if PS3 hardware was easy to port from to PS4, would Sony have done the same? I can't say but I don't doubt it since they did it with the PSN titles; BUT marketing something differently doesn't change what it is.

And unless you are only responding to me to clarify to the person I was responding to, that it's been the topic of discussion, then OK, I get what you are trying to say, otherwise, I am completely lost.

EDIT

LOL, how silly of me. YOU are that person.

Last edited:

sainraja

The Medium does not have Smart Delivery mentioned in the Xbox page. They never said every game has to support it.

OK? I am not questioning that. Point is, they've been marketing the opposite. You're thinking or arguing that it's been clear when it hasn't really been. What you are saying, they have only NOW clarified that not every game has to support it but every other messaging from them has said the opposite. That is why this thread exists. How is that completely lost on you?

Last edited:
Ok good. I’m glad this attitude is changing. Cus I’m not buying a new fucking console just to play games that are on a console that is discontinued

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought all XSX games would only be playable on XB1 for the first year? Maybe I made that time frame up but I thought that they had only guaranteed to support the XB1 ecosystem of consoles for a limited timeframe - it was never gonna be for the entire next generation?

I'm guessing if you're a first party studio and your game isn't likely coming out for two years or so then you will only develop for XSX.

Top Bottom