• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: E3 2021 is Xbox's most-viewed E3 ever, compares it to the 360 era

It’s crazy good consider they held back fable; perfect dark, gears, evil within 3, Wolfestein, hellblade, etc. Such a bright 6 months ahead for game pass subscribers. Oh and they confirmed one of the biggest question. Bethesda titles will be exclusive to Xbox console from now on.

Also Everwild, Avowed, Project Mara, State of Decay 3, CrossFireX. It's pretty mental from today through the next 1-2 releases. Too much to play, happy to have so much choice.

Congrats to Phil and Xbox team, going from steps and strides to leaps and bounds.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

Dr Bass

Yeah I mean … ok. Again had some great times on 360 but nothing is out yet. And there are three games coming out this year … the best game they showed IMO was Replaced and that is mid 2022.

This “firing on all cylinders” and descriptors like “incredible.” What are you guys referring to? It was literally Halo, Forza and Flight Sim. I mean, if that stuff gets you going cool but it SOUNDS more like people trying to convince themselves.

The cheer leading and some of the hyperbolic rhetoric I’m reading here is … odd.

But hey if you’re all happy with it. 👍

Zeroing

Banned
Sorry for not joining the group enthusiasm but…
It’s not the Xbox 360 era, hopefully it will not turn into the late Xbox 360 era either, where they just got out out tune with gamers and focused on Kinect

phill spencer was there… amazing how people admire him… a guy who was there since the beginning, got lots of free passes for all the mistakes he made and lots of praises for getting something right.

1 ok show is a good start, less PR bullshit and let’s see if next year things continue the good momentum!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This was maybe their best E3 ever, and it’s going to be the worst they have ever again. Future is so bright some don’t want to see it
While the SonyBros may try deny downplay Xbox E3 2021, I've just been looking through several articles and the press agrees with you and me. I don't mean just the gaming press, MSM, i.e. WaPo, CNN, USA today etc loves Xbox E3 2021 and they especially love Game Pass. Even Nintendo life was talking about how Xbox took all the top awards. Forza Horizon won a bunch of awards best/most anticipated game and it's pretty much unanimous that Xbox was the winner of E3 by a large margin.

CatLady

Yeah I mean … ok. Again had some great times on 360 but nothing is out yet. And there are three games coming out this year … the best game they showed IMO was Replaced and that is mid 2022.

This “firing on all cylinders” and descriptors like “incredible.” What are you guys referring to? It was literally Halo, Forza and Flight Sim. I mean, if that stuff gets you going cool but it SOUNDS more like people trying to convince themselves.

The cheer leading and some of the hyperbolic rhetoric I’m reading here is … odd.

But hey if you’re all happy with it. 👍

1dssm3.jpg

LMJ

While the SonyBros may try deny downplay Xbox E3 2021, I've just been looking through several articles and the press agrees with you and me. I don't mean just the gaming press, MSM, i.e. WaPo, CNN, USA today etc loves Xbox E3 2021 and they especially love Game Pass. Even Nintendo life was talking about how Xbox took all the top awards. Forza Horizon won a bunch of awards best/most anticipated game and it's pretty much unanimous that Xbox was the winner of E3 by a large margin.

not to downplay the conference (it was fire) but they were ONE of the two good shows?

SE was a joke only topped by RS, Ubi had a few gems, but nothing too exciting and a number of really cool looking indies, CC was short but sweet, but short. Only Nintendo was any competition.

MS was great lol but I wouldn't come close to calling it one of the best E3s ever despite

I think it was exceptionally... solid. Not mind blowing, but no E3 ever is... But definitely exciting as the start of the future. GamePass was the star of the show, then FH5 and Flight Sim for me. Halo needed to show single player to excite me, I'll never play multi, but I can't wait for it to release. I also cannot wait for Starfield, but they really didn't show anything. Definitely convinced me that there are some very good times ahead, as we suspected. Most of the biggest names didn't even appear, and they still had a mass of content. Almost all of it on Gamepass. Going to be crazy times for Xbox soon, and anyone downplaying it is having an increasingly difficult time remaining credible. Microsoft are in this to be the leaders, and have the resources to do it.

Remember the ludicrous over reactions to the Shenmue 3 kickstarter, Last Guardian, FF7 Remake conference? :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'd rather not see that kind of embarrassing behavior again. Especially given how that turned out when they actually released and two out of three were just truly awful. MS needs to keep doing their thing and remain confident but don't over hype - let the work speak for itself. The rewards will come.

Kagey K

Banned
The best part of it is that as each new game was shown you didn't have to think oh Day one or I'll wait for a sale.

The idea that if you are subscribed to GP means they are just there for you to play the moment they release.

It made me pay more attention to the games they showed instead of dismissing one if it didn't seem my style immediately.

It definitely made each game more exciting for me.

Last edited:

CatLady

not to downplay the conference (it was fire) but they were ONE of the two good shows?

SE was a joke only topped by RS, Ubi had a few gems, but nothing too exciting and a number of really cool looking indies, CC was short but sweet, but short. Only Nintendo was any competition.

MS was great lol but I wouldn't come close to calling it one of the best E3s ever despite

I think you misunderstood me. Xbox was one of the best conferences ever at an E3. In no way am I saying this was one of the best E3s ever, actually outside of Xbox and Nintendo, it was one of the worst.

Fredrik

This “firing on all cylinders” and descriptors like “incredible.” What are you guys referring to? It was literally Halo, Forza and Flight Sim.
And about 30 more games…

I did some quick googling and found a list of games in the show which are appearing on Gamepass. A few late releases and updates, some missing like the Jack Sparrow Sea of Thieves expansion, all new releases are in bold.
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  • Back 4 Blood
  • Starfield
  • Contraband
  • STALKER 2
  • Somerville
  • Halo Infinite
  • Hades
  • A Plague Tale Requiem
  • Slime Rancher 2
  • Party Animals
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Shredders
  • Atomic Heart
  • Replaced
  • Grounded: The Shroom and Doom update
  • Eiyuden Chronicle Rising
  • Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes
  • The Ascent
  • Age of Empires 4
  • The Outer Worlds 2
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Among Us
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance
  • Twelve Minutes
  • Anacrusis
  • Scorn
  • Aragami 2
  • Sable
  • Hello Neighbor 2
  • The Gunk
  • Redfall

longdi

Banned
agree with Philly here. took the words outta my soul.

i have seen the tangible excitement and discussions around my social media and forums.

the insane Gamepass lineup is the fresh cherry and elevate them above 360

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm glad they're seeing success with the new generation and their current strategy - it really is hard to understate the damage that "TV TV TV SPORTS" and their Xbone DRM did last generation. Do I think this was their best ever? Probably not - they really did need at least one absolute jaw-dropper to get that title, and ending on Redfall was an massive blunder - but it was certainly their best since the Xbox 360 generation, and hammered home their commitment to Gamepass. During the Xbone generation, I don't think they ever really had a single standout E3, so they've already eclipsed their previous efforts there.

What escalates this conference for me is something that hasn't been true before: 27 out of the 30 games they showed are games that I get to absolutely play. If it looked even remotely interesting, there is zero barrier between me and downloading the game from Gamepass. That makes so many more of the games they showed at this conference appealing to me because I've already paid for them. I wouldn't pay AUD$125.00 for Flight Simulator, but I'll absolutely download it from Gamepass for a weekend. On the contrast, every single time Sony shows a game, that's AUD$125.00 just to try it out. That means I'm going to have a much higher set of requirements to jump in. Returnal? Not paying AUD$125.00 for that. Ratchet & Clank? Looks cool, but not AUD$125.00 cool. GOW2 could be AUD$125.00 cool, but I'm playing it on the PS4 so I'm really not going to pay top price for the inferior version. Xbox fans are excited because 27 games were basically just handed to them and they all looked cool in their own ways and they can try them all. Sony could show 31 great games... but if you can only afford to buy two of them, that's just really less exciting. My 2 cents anyway.

Robb

Gold Member
They did have the best presentation IMO, so I'm not surprised.

It was also very smart of them to market it as Bethesda+Xbox instead of just Xbox. I definitely think they got more people watching because of that.

Last edited:
They did have the best presentstion IMO, so I'm not surprised.

It was also very smart of them to market it as Bethesda+Xbox instead if jusy Xbox. I definitely think they got more people watching because of that.
Maybe the fact that they did the show on Sunday has something to do?

Robb

Gold Member
Maybe the fact that they did the show on Sunday has something to do?
It probably has some effect, but I don't think it's a big part of it.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine that the people who actaully watch E3 are hardcore gaming fans like you or me, not the average joe.

The day of the presentation wouldn't matter for me, I'd be watching anyway, and I would think it's the same for most people tuning in to these.

I could be wrong/biased though, most people I know don't even know what E3 is to begin with.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
It was a really good show. Not a great though. Just missed one or two things to elevate it imo.

Still, like it or not, they should be having even better shows from next year onwards. The stars will begin aligning on their studios soon enough.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Great, it was a fantastic show, and I feel about Xbox in 2021 the way I felt about Xbox in 2004-2006. I think they're onto something brilliant with Gamepass, they have the best console hardware, and their ecosystem feels really good to play games in. I can't wait to see what they do next.

Great Hair

Banned
twitch did not exist until 2011
social streaming, streaming services did not exist
YouTube was new and crap, pretty sure they did not live stream any prior 2007+
phantom console was 15+ ahead of everyone
adsl+, had to import the DVD E3 Access

twitch is yuge and allows now other content
YouTube is yuge and better, everyone is at home due ..
everyone now wants to share their stories, selfies, stream their shitty game-skills
streaming services everywhere, cloud gaming etc.
fiber inet

Whitney Houston GIF

Top Bottom