• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: E3 2021 is Xbox's most-viewed E3 ever, compares it to the 360 era

Great Hair

Banned
You know television and MTV existed in the mid '00s, right?
You know too well how different the world was back in 2005. Only 15+ years ago we lived like Neanderthals (digitally). We consumed video games in a total different way. We acquired games still thru retailers (most did).

No one streamed as Twitch did not exist until 2011+. The world was not connected like its today. YouTube was crap and had no live streaming yet. Lets not mention the prevalence of smartphones between both decades.

We acquired our e3 info thru shops in form of DVDs (made by them or others like e3 Access by NGV) or via magazines. A completely different era. So different, that 2005 could be considered the new 1980.

No shit sherlock they had more views in 2021 ...; If we/the world had the same social streams, outlets, mentality, connectivity etc. back in 2005, that 360 P.C would have had way more views. That simple.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It was obvious they would have a lot of viewership since they were hyping it to no end

I'm curious if you actually believe this or what? This was one of the least hyped presentations I've seen from MS, referring to direct hype from them. Most of their biggest over-hypers barely even said a peep about this one.

I guess they went and announced the date and time. Too much?

I think it was exceptionally... solid. Not mind blowing, but no E3 ever is... But definitely exciting as the start of the future. GamePass was the star of the show, then FH5 and Flight Sim for me. Halo needed to show single player to excite me, I'll never play multi, but I can't wait for it to release. I also cannot wait for Starfield, but they really didn't show anything. Definitely convinced me that there are some very good times ahead, as we suspected. Most of the biggest names didn't even appear, and they still had a mass of content. Almost all of it on Gamepass. Going to be crazy times for Xbox soon, and anyone downplaying it is having an increasingly difficult time remaining credible. Microsoft are in this to be the leaders, and have the resources to do it.

Remember the ludicrous over reactions to the Shenmue 3 kickstarter, Last Guardian, FF7 Remake conference? :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'd rather not see that kind of embarrassing behavior again. Especially given how that turned out when they actually released and two out of three were just truly awful. MS needs to keep doing their thing and remain confident but don't over hype - let the work speak for itself. The rewards will come.
The last guardian is good, as is the FF7 remake? Only Shenmue sucked

Certainly doesn't seem like you voted with your wallet.

Seemed fully on board the Kinect ride, way back then..

If lie about that, what else would you lie about I wonder.
I did not buy the X1. I did not want the Kinect camera. Nothing about what I typed said I bought it and use it. I just don't hate on things I don't own like some people. Good on you to look through my old posts as some sort of gotcha moment though. 😉

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
I did not buy the X1. I did not want the Kinect camera. Nothing about what I typed said I bought it and use it. I just don't hate on things I don't own like some people. Good on you to look through my old posts as some sort of gotcha moment though. 😉

Yeh ok. So you didn't support it and you were so dead set against it you voted with your wallet.

So why is it you were so confused with people who kept saying Kinect should be dropped?

I am curious why so many people want MS to remove the Kinect camera. Did you all feel the same way about the Wii and WiiU? Would those consoles be better if Nintendo didn't have any motion controls for their games?

And yet bewilderingly you repeatedly said you didn't want them to remove it. And in fact they should keep it.

They need to keep kinect but eat the cost, add more bonuses to X Live, add in some pack in titles or all/some of the above. Them dropping kinect would cost them so much more since they already spent tons in R&D. Kinect isn't going anywhere.

That's not the words of someone dead set against it.

Will never understand why people feel the need to lie constantly. Sad.

You know too well how different the world was back in 2005. Only 15+ years ago we lived like Neanderthals (digitally). We consumed video games in a total different way. We acquired games still thru retailers (most did).

No one streamed as Twitch did not exist until 2011+. The world was not connected like its today. YouTube was crap and had no live streaming yet. Lets not mention the prevalence of smartphones between both decades.

We acquired our e3 info thru shops in form of DVDs (made by them or others like e3 Access by NGV) or via magazines. A completely different era. So different, that 2005 could be considered the new 1980.

No shit sherlock they had more views in 2021 ...; If we/the world had the same social streams, outlets, mentality, connectivity etc. back in 2005, that 360 P.C would have had way more views. That simple.
2019 exists. 2018 exists. 2017 exists. 2016 exists. All years where the streaming environment we have today was more or less very similar in function and level of connectivity.

Your point, while notable for drawing attention to how different things were in the mid '2000s, doesn't refute Phil's statement at all because I'm....pretty sure he wasn't referring back to pre-Youtube days xD.

GametimeUK

I was team Sony from the PS1 to the PS2.

I was reluctantly team MS over Sony from 2006 to around 2009 / 10.

From PS3 2010 to now I have been team Sony.

It seems recently MS have just been speaking to me the same way they did back in 2006. They are doing great things and their policies, services, energy and attitude have won me over again. Very pro consumer and gaming at the forefront.

I'm not surprised their E3 showing was so good and well received to be fair as they've been making the right moves for a while now.

Top Bottom