• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer feels it's counter productive to lock people away from games by making them device exclusive, prefers to scale games across ecosystem

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I just don't support the notion that games being built for both platforms is a bad thing. Ryse started out as a friggin Kinect game on 360 and it was one of the strongest looking games this gen, still at the end of the gen.

Games are adaptable.
Exactly this!

But you couldn't tell the arm chair devs in this thread that. They think they know better than the exec himself. Even more than the actual devs. Shit is crazy. Its crazy..

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
A few years into this current generation was November 2016. You seriously think that in late 2016 that "most games" were started on previous generation hardware? Where are you getting this idea from?

It's not an idea. It's a fact. Like in my previous post, Ryse started out as a 360 Kinect gsme and it still looks like one of the best games this gen.

PDZ started out on the Xbox (rumored to actually start on the GC but don't think it was ever proven)

This isn't all games. I said most. And a few years would be November 2015 not 2016.

Developers are sitting on their hands waiting for new consoles and dev kits to be released. They have to keep working on their games and depending on when the cycle starts, you are faced with starting on old hardware.

Do you think Rocksteady has been working on Sucicide Squad waiting for next gen consoles? Or the Harry Potter RPG? Those are rumored to be on Series X/S and PS5 only. They definitely started out as current gen games.

oldergamer

Its basically the ecosystem model which has been hinted at by Spencer for years now. I think its a smart strategy on paper but I have to wonder if the market will actually adapt? Is putting xcloud on mobile really going to get people to subscribe to GP? Sure they have the access but is the market ready for that type of paradigm shift?
I actually dont think the market is ready for the shift, but bundling it as part of a different service us an easy way to tell if it can stand on its own. When ms added xbox live and you had paid multiplayer or only free weekends, people had the same questions if the market was ready. It turned out to be a resounding yes.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I actually dont think the market is ready for the shift, but bundling it as part of a different service us an easy way to tell if it can stand on its own. When ms added xbox live and you had paid multiplayer or only free weekends, people had the same questions if the market was ready. It turned out to be a resounding yes.

Good point about XBL. I would of said the market wasn't ready either when the Xbox hit but clearly they proved me and many others wrong.

oldergamer

Believe it or not some people do exactly that... some consumers are incapable of making their own decisions based solely on their own opinion of things and instead default to whatever is perceived to be the most popular.

It's very strange to me... to not properly research and try things out especially hands on but rather just follow the herd.
Sometimes yes. Most times i think people see a game they think looks cool or something the see their friends buying. I think that is a bit different then hearing console sold 1.2 million units and console x sold 2 million units. I dont know anyone that waits to see that, but to each their own.

Grinchy

Banned
It's not an idea. It's a fact. Like in my previous post, Ryse started out as a 360 Kinect gsme and it still looks like one of the best games this gen.

PDZ started out on the Xbox (rumored to actually start on the GC but don't think it was ever proven)

This isn't all games. I said most. And a few years would be November 2015 not 2016.

Developers are sitting on their hands waiting for new consoles and dev kits to be released. They have to keep working on their games and depending on when the cycle starts, you are faced with starting on old hardware.

Do you think Rocksteady has been working on Sucicide Squad waiting for next gen consoles? Or the Harry Potter RPG? Those are rumored to be on Series X/S and PS5 only. They definitely started out as current gen games.

Ryse was a Day 1 launch game. The consoles launched in late 2013. A few years (few means 3) means 2013 + 3 = 2016. And if you're pulling out projects that started as ideas and switched production to a different system to prove that "most games" for multiple years of a new generation are actually last-generation games, then more power to you. You've drunk the Kool-Aid and it was tasty.

Please show me all the November 2016 PS4/Xbone games that were still cross-gen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

hyperbertha

Yeah, I don't believe him. They could have made the transitions longer to the other world, because the switches are done in an aggressive shake to hide the loading now, so there were other slower solutions to addressing that.

We will see how it does on a PC, because I believe it will be released there too. Once we get definite proof I will concede my stance till than no way. So the fud argument your arguing to push is nothing more than an opinion just like mine. I am just skeptical about it, while you took their word for gospel, something that in the gaming world usually ends up biting people into the ass and disappointing.
I just gave you two instances of 'definite' proof and you say you won't believe it? How do you expect more proof for something that can't even be seen? Whether a game's features can't be done on older systems is invisible. Developers themselves saying it can't be done are the only proof you'll ever get unless you interview the devs themselves.

Without any proof common sense and logic should tell you features that can be done on advanced hardware can't be done on weaker systems. And you have devs constantly admitting this through interviews and such. I can link more sources if you want. But what's going on here is you finding it hard to admit you made a mistake on the internet. Lets not continue this bullshit. MS's game will absolutely be held back if they release on both systems and that's that.

Grinchy

Banned
Youll be exactly right IF...the 23rd presser doesnt look next gen. But it will. Id get ready for a taste for crow if i were you. If one game will certainly be next gen, itll be Infinite. Even that will be crossgen. That says a shyte load. Like i said, we'll see in a couple of weeks.
Halo Infinite is hopefully the exception to the rule. I hope they are pouring a ton of effort and money into making it an actual XSX game as much as possible for a game that was actually built for current-gen. They say they are, so there's hope, but what else is going to get that level of treatment from MS?

There will be some Xbox One games that get gussied up for XSX and then the day will finally come where they can finally release their actual XSX software. That'll be a much more exciting time.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ryse was a Day 1 launch game. The consoles launched in late 2013. A few years (few means 3) means 2013 + 3 = 2016. And if you're pulling out projects that started as ideas and switched production to a different system to prove that "most games" for multiple years of a new generation are actually last-generation games, then more power to you. You've drunk the Kool-Aid and it was tasty.

Please show me all the November 2016 PS4/Xbone games that were still cross-gen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I define few as 2 so I'll rephrase it a day first couple of years.

Did I say they are last generation games? I said they start out as last generation games.

And PDZ isn't a game that changed concepts like Ryse...so..

And you also completely ignored my Rocksteady and Harry Potter Examples.

This is how game development works. You can choose to deny it all you want but developers do not sit on their ass waiting for dev kits for next machines and then start making games.

Gavon West

Good point about XBL. I would of said the market wasn't ready either when the Xbox hit but clearly they proved me and many others wrong.
What Microsoft is doing hasnt been done like this in console before. We've only known this kind of conversion to be on PC. Its risky. Hard to tell if its going to work for some. I honestly cant see how it can fail. As long as Series X games sing like next gen games, and crossgen games do the same with applicable assets, its all win. Sony gamers just sound a bit salty if im being honest because in essence, Xbox will not only deliver next gen experiences on Series X, but also make sure One X and S owners get to play the same games together with PC, Steam and Xcloud users. Thats huge in my opinion.

Grinchy

Banned
Every generation up to now has put out actual new generation software for the hardware until Microsoft fell behind schedule, and because their PR is so brilliant, you have people acting like this is "normal" and has been done this way the whole time.

It's genuinely amazing. I don't know how Microsoft hasn't been more successful with other devices like their phones and stuff if they are this good at persuading people to believe the unbelievable.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Every generation up to now has put out actual new generation software for the hardware until Microsoft fell behind schedule, and because their PR is so brilliant, you have people acting like this is "normal" and has been done this way the whole time.

It's genuinely amazing. I don't know how Microsoft hasn't been more successful with other devices like their phones and stuff if they are this good at persuading people to believe the unbelievable.

How you came to that conclusion is astounding. I don't see anyone saying this is normal in any capacity.

Gavon West

Halo Infinite is hopefully the exception to the rule. I hope they are pouring a ton of effort and money into making it an actual XSX game as much as possible for a game that was actually built for current-gen. They say they are, so there's hope, but what else is going to get that level of treatment from MS?

There will be some Xbox One games that get gussied up for XSX and then the day will finally come where they can finally release their actual XSX software. That'll be a much more exciting time.
Remember dev houses like Blooper are making Series X versions of their game. So there will be
" exclusives" in its purest form if thats what some people want.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What Microsoft is doing hasnt been done like this in console before. We've only known this kind of conversion to be on PC. Its risky. Hard to tell if its going to work for some. I honestly cant see how it can fail. As long as Series X games sing like next gen games, and crossgen games do the same with applicable assets, its all win. Sony gamers just sound a bit salty if im being honest because in essence, Xbox will not only deliver next gen experiences on Series X, but also make sure One X and S owners get to play the same games together with PC, Steam and Xcloud users. Thats huge in my opinion.

I think the approach is good on paper but it will require more work on Microsoft's part. But they have proven they are willing to do it. Most of their PC ports have been very good. MCC has had some rough patches and FH3 started out not so hot but Bleeding Edge, Gears 4 and 5, SoT, SoD 2 and KI have had very good PC support.

As long as they take the same approach I don't see a problem with cross gen games for awhile.

But I am not sure if the market shares the same enthusiasm as Spencer.

I think it can fail if all the extra work doesn't result in people adopting the eco system. I think you could make the argument that GP would be more successful if they simply followed the more traditional console cycle.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

because they are not. most people see right through their bullshit. only a select few will defend them and will likely let Phil fuck their wives because they are so brainwashed.

i thought they were crazy defending the lockhart because at least it had the same cpu and ssd, but now we are at a point where Phil has convinced them that a 1.3 tflops gpu, 1.7 ghz jaguar cpu and 50 MBps HDD wont hold back next gen.

Last edited:

Gavon West

I think the approach is good on paper but it will require more work on Microsoft's part. But they have proven they are willing to do it. Most of their PC ports have been very good. MCC has had some rough patches and FH3 started out not so hot but Bleeding Edge, Gears 4 and 5, SoT, SoD 2 and KI have had very good PC support.

As long as they take the same approach I don't see a problem with cross gen games for awhile.

But I am not sure if the market shares the same enthusiasm as Spencer.

I think it can fail if all the extra work doesn't result in people adopting the eco system. I think you could make the argument that GP would be more successful if they simply followed the more traditional console cycle.
GP is already successful. Phil said $10 million subs effectively. I hear the number is actually closer to $15 million - somewhere in that area.

As far as scaling games; theyve already said that 1st and 3rd party devs have the tools and software to make the process relatively easy. I think a few devs have gone on record stating as much.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
GP is already successful. Phil said $10 million subs effectively. I hear the number is actually closer to $15 million - somewhere in that area.

As far as scaling games; theyve already said that 1st and 3rd party devs have the tools and software to make the process relatively easy. I think a few devs have gone on record stating as much.
because they are not. most people see right through their bullshit. only a select few will defend them and will likely let Phil fuck their wives because they are so brainwashed.

i thought they were crazy defending the lockhart because at least it had the same cpu and ssd, but now we are at a point where Phil has convinced them that a 1.3 tflops gpu, 1.7 ghz jaguar cpu and 50 MBps HDD wont hold back next gen.

tenor.gif

Gavon West

What if what they said is not only possible but thats exactly what their doing? Maybe you just arent willing to - at the very least - wait until the 23rd presser to see for yourself? If Xbox first party looks as good or better than Sony's last event, Id say their on to something.

n0razi

Exactly this!

But you couldn't tell the arm chair devs in this thread that. They think they know better than the exec himself. Even more than the actual devs. Shit is crazy. Its crazy..

Phil Spencer is a PR suit and not a dev... his job is literally to say whatever it takes to make his company look or sound better same as Reggie for Nintendo or Yoshida for Sony. Not saying that I disagree that internet armchair devs are clueless as well but I wouldn't take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Gavon West

Phil Spencer is a PR suit and not a dev... his job is literally to say whatever it takes to make his company look or sound better same as Reggie for Nintendo or Yoshida for Sony. Not saying that I disagree that internet armchair devs are clueless as well but I wouldn't take anything he says with a grain of salt.
Bruh....may wanna do your research. Phil has dev roots. Deep ones. I agree hes a corp. Doesnt mean the guy doesnt know how this stuff works at a dev level. He is a dev.

SlimySnake

I know! How anti-consumer of them!
That's quite anti-consumer.

Edit: beaten
Mark my words. if the july 23rd showcase has half a dozen next gen only exclusives just like Sony did, every single of these posters will change their tune and praise it as the greatest conference of all time. And phil as the savior we needed.

Grinchy

Banned
Mark my words. if the july 23rd showcase has half a dozen next gen only exclusives just like Sony did, every single of these posters will change their tune and praise it as the greatest conference of all time. And phil as the savior we needed.
I hope they have an awesome event. It's not the way you're painting it.

If Microsoft had a half dozen first party next-gen exclusives, then it would mean that they were lying this whole time. We already know they won't have first party next-gen exclusives, which is what we are currently talking about. You're changing it into something that's not being said.

Gavon West

I hope they have an awesome event. It's not the way you're painting it.

If Microsoft had a half dozen first party next-gen exclusives, then it would mean that they were lying this whole time. We already know they won't have first party next-gen exclusives, which is what we are currently talking about. You're changing it into something that's not being said.
How do you plan to quantify if the games are exclusives though? I mean, like, Im looking for quality reveals that look and feel like a next gen games. The visuals (at least to me) will be my first indicators. Im positive those will be on full display. Im not saying every game will look next gen but there will for sure be a few that reach my own personal standard.

Grinchy

Banned
How do you plan to quantify if the games are exclusives though? I mean, like, Im looking for quality reveals that look and feel like a next gen games. The visuals (at least to me) will be my first indicators. Im positive those will be on full display. Im not saying every game will look next gen but there will for sure be a few that reach my own personal standard.
A next-gen exclusive would be a game that's exclusively next-gen. It's all in the name already.

I'm hoping they've found a bunch of 3rd parties to pick up the slack for them like The Medium and Scorn. Let's get a lot of next-gen only games on the 12TF beast and get a real taste of why it's worth buying it and not just Xbox One games with settings turned up.

Gavon West

A next-gen exclusive would be a game that's exclusively next-gen. It's all in the name already.

I'm hoping they've found a bunch of 3rd parties to pick up the slack for them like The Medium and Scorn. Let's get a lot of next-gen only games on the 12TF beast and get a real taste of why it's worth buying it and not just Xbox One games with settings turned up.
Yeah, pure exclusives wont be there. Itll be 3rd party games [probably] that'll offer those. Still, I think even 1st party games shown will look a gen ahead of what we have currently. I think we're in for a treat. Definite stunners in the cards for sure.

FranXico

Oh of course. And when that Initiative game gets revealed and turns out to blabantly copy a bunch of elements from Sony first party games, you won't read any comments about it being a "third-person walkie talkie".

Gavon West

Oh of course. And when that Initiative game gets revealed and turns out to blabantly copy a bunch of elements from Sony first party games, you won't read any comments about it being a "third-person walkie talkie".
You and "broski" try too hard. Yikes!

SlimySnake

The funniest thing about him greenlighting the Initiative studio to make a single player story driven game is that he literally said these games dont have the impact they used to ahve and that greenlighting story driven games is a difficult business decision compared to gaas games.

“The audience for those big story-driven games… I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent,” he said. “You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have, because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony’s first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they’re good at them, but outside of that, it’s difficult – they’re become more rare; it’s a difficult business decision for those teams, you’re fighting into more headwind.”

It's like he says one thing and does the complete opposite the next second. I dont think he actually knows what hes saying when he says it.

I cant find the thread for these comments on gaf, but I remember all the xbox guys defending his comments and downplaying story driven games. GaaS was apparently the future. With Division 2, Ghost Recon and several other GaaS games flopping left and right, and destiny 3 literally getting cancelled while TLOU2 posts $240 million in revenue in 3 days, it's obvious everyone defending his comments in that thread was wrong.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The funniest thing about him greenlighting the Initiative studio to make a single player story driven game is that he literally said these games dont have the impact they used to ahve and that greenlighting story driven games is a difficult business decision compared to gaas games.

It's like he says one thing and does the complete opposite the next second. I dont think he actually knows what hes saying when he says it.

I cant find the thread for these comments on gaf, but I remember all the xbox guys defending his comments and downplaying story driven games. GaaS was apparently the future. With Division 2, Ghost Recon and several other GaaS games flopping left and right, and destiny 3 literally getting cancelled while TLOU2 posts $240 million in revenue in 3 days, it's obvious everyone defending his comments in that thread was wrong.

Sometimes I feel like Phil could kill some people’s grand parents and still some here would react like “well they were old, he killed them before they would have stopped enjoying their lives and be a drain to the economy which would have meant higher taxes and/or a contraction in spending for the family which now... well... we have more budget available and if you think about it what can be more pro consumer than that?”... :LOL:.

n0razi

Bruh....may wanna do your research. Phil has dev roots. Deep ones. I agree hes a corp. Doesnt mean the guy doesnt know how this stuff works at a dev level. He is a dev.

I know Phil WAS a dev.... his current job is to grow the XBOX brand above all else.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Interned, became a software lead and moved in people and delivery management quickly (Development Manager not that long after) and stayed in business and management roles all his career afterwards. Does not mean he is unskilled but let’s not oversell anything the guy does or says...

Agent X

Sony gamers just sound a bit salty if im being honest because in essence, Xbox will not only deliver next gen experiences on Series X, but also make sure One X and S owners get to play the same games together with PC, Steam and Xcloud users. Thats huge in my opinion.

People can already play games like Rocket League, Destiny 2, and Fortnite across different platforms with disparate capabilities. Cross-platform play alone isn't a selling point, as everyone has that. The specific games are what define the platform.

Well, in a sense, it is "normal", as almost every new system has launched with some games that are warmed-over ports from the previous generation. The only difference here is that (if Mr. Spencer's statements are to be believed) there's going to be a complete lack of new, system-defining games at launch.

Perhaps these statements are just a ruse to throw everyone off the scent, and they'll come back in a few weeks with all guns blazing. strutting an impressive list of "can't get these anywhere else!" system-defining exclusives. Although, such a strategy still calls into question why he would even make such comments in the first place.

Gavon West

Interned, became a software lead and moved in people and delivery management quickly (Development Manager not that long after) and stayed in business and management roles all his career afterwards. Does not mean he is unskilled but let’s not oversell anything the guy does or says...
There was an unlocked episode i believe where he revealed he actually wrote code and developed games. Either way, hes not coming from a no experience situation. That counts for something. Hes not just management and PR. His dev roots are in tact to this day. Thats my take..

Last edited:

I mean, considering that the first party games will only be cross-gen for the next year or so, and they are supposedly "letting loose the cannon" and showing all of their cards for the next few years, it makes sense that they are going to have several next gen only exclusive games shown. People on both sides are acting like it's the extremes of "no Series X exclusives ever/for 2 years of release!" or "It's anti-consumer to have next gen only exclusives!" but the reality is that most people don't care, and whether the show is good or bad will have nothing to do with whether or not any games are next gen exclusives or not.

Either way, the whole narrative is bullshit anyway. We know that the Xbox team has paid for next gen exclusives like The Medium and Scorn, and likely a few more

SlimySnake

I mean, considering that the first party games will only be cross-gen for the next year or so, and they are supposedly "letting loose the cannon" and showing all of their cards for the next few years, it makes sense that they are going to have several next gen only exclusive games shown. People on both sides are acting like it's the extremes of "no Series X exclusives ever/for 2 years of release!" or "It's anti-consumer to have next gen only exclusives!" but the reality is that most people don't care, and whether the show is good or bad will have nothing to do with whether or not any games are next gen exclusives or not.

Either way, the whole narrative is bullshit anyway. We know that the Xbox team has paid for next gen exclusives like The Medium and Scorn, and likely a few more
yeah, medium being next gen only literally goes against what he's saying and yet people will defend his statements anyway.

oldergamer

What a strange thing to say. Copying a bunch of elements from sony games? Do you think sony invented game design? You would think that from reading your post, but sorry to break it to ya that they didnt.

Gavon West

yeah, medium being next gen only literally goes against what he's saying and yet people will defend his statements anyway.
Youre reaching.

They arent mandating that 3rd party devs do as XGS. 3rd party can make pure exclusives if they feel its necessary. They wont impose on their visions if thats the route they decide to go. Whats the problem there? Im confused...

tryDEATH

I just gave you two instances of 'definite' proof and you say you won't believe it? How do you expect more proof for something that can't even be seen? Whether a game's features can't be done on older systems is invisible. Developers themselves saying it can't be done are the only proof you'll ever get unless you interview the devs themselves.

Without any proof common sense and logic should tell you features that can be done on advanced hardware can't be done on weaker systems. And you have devs constantly admitting this through interviews and such. I can link more sources if you want. But what's going on here is you finding it hard to admit you made a mistake on the internet. Lets not continue this bullshit. MS's game will absolutely be held back if they release on both systems and that's that.

Neither of those are definitive proofs, because both games still exhibit loading screens just in smarter ways, nothing else. You not want to acknowledge that is on you for being ignorant. If loading is the only issue than it isn't revolutionary as there are plenty of ways that it can be disguised like they do now. The Medium is going to release on the PC too and we all know not every PC has a SSD, so if a HDD can pull it of this generation could also.

Your obsession for PS is blinding your better judgement by believing and falling for the over the top crap these paid developers are shoveling as PR like every single generation, where they over promise and under deliver every time.

Shmunter

Either way, Xbox next gen launch seems muted without Ms championing it’s merits over last gen. Essentially it’s being approached more like a mid gen upgrade. Any Xbox only fans thinking of dipping their toes into the Sony pond to join a traditional next gen party?

NT80

Dude WTF are you even talking about? What narrative. It just comes down to me seeing exactly what he's saying and you thinking theres some hidden agenda. In my opinion its a smart move. Give new adopters of next gen experiences what they expect. Let people who dont want to upgrade, upgrade when their ready while still giving them the ability to play the same games with Series X owners. Its literally that simple.

Why people feel the need to make it into a negative is beyond me. Its pro consumer AF.
Have they not pushed the narrative the the power of next gen is game changing and going to allow for new possibilities? You can't have it both ways. When your upgrading you need to have enough of an incentive to upgrade. This is the console market not the gaming PC market after all where the mindset is different.

Speaking of PCs they have their minimum requirements and for the top end games those can keep rising especially nowadays when there's a new console release. How many new high end PC games run on PCs from 8 years ago that were even then mid spec?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

Sony is actually the one falling behind schedule which is why they are buying timed exclusives, because besides that Spider-Man xpansion, what do they have for launch? And even that looks like a PS4 game that was bumped at the last minute to fill in a gap at launch.

There was nothing stopping MS from making Halo next gen and PC only, they chose to do so, not because they're behind schedule, but because the game will reach a much bigger audience that way.

I'd say you are the one who believes Sony's PR thinking that whatever you are getting at PS5 launch is a paradigm shift and fully uses the power of next gen, when we all know that's not the case.

And why do you have to follow a model of next gen= next gen exclusive games no matter what? Who dictates that you have to follow that model? PC has never done it and the PC market is huge and healthy, Nintendo has had 2 gen launches with a game coming on both new and previous gen. So again, your comment is completely out of touch with reality, leave the keyboard and go to sleep.

Top Bottom