• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer further clarifies the nature of Bethesda exclusivity

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Spencer had said in previous interviews that existing deals involving ZeniMax games would still be honored, suggesting that something like the time-traveling game Deathloop would still come first to PS5, as previously announced. Beyond that, though, fans have wondered whether ZeniMax games would go Xbox and PC-only. In other words, they’ve wondered if PlayStation would stop getting Fallouts and miss out on the sequel to Skyrim.

I wondered that, too.

“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.

Then he paused.

“I don’t want to be flip about that,” he added. “This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’ We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.”

Bolivar687

Banned
4irl0d.jpg

Rippa

Xbox will continue to be the First Person games machine.

I only like Doom so here’s hoping the next one will release on Xbox one X on gamepass so I can rent it at $1.

Last edited:
If they hold Gamepass numbers, they have 15 million subscribers x $15 a month. That's $225 million a month in my extremely simplistic calculation.

Obviously lots of people have Gamepass for cheaper, and they have expenses for games on there to take into consideration. And they have other revenue streams from games sales and their 30% revenue from all other game sales. Then the expenses of staffing the studios themselves as a continuing expense.

It's definitely playing the long game, but if their subscriber numbers go up and they stop doing gigantic acquisitions, they should eventuallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy be profitable. Maybe.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t understand why they would put games on PS5, or why we need clarification for this.

Is Forza on PS4? Halo? Gears? There’s no precedent for Microsoft supporting Playstation platforms with major first party titles, unless there was an existing contract, and MS bought out a developer (Outer Worlds).

I would just get ready to pick up a Series X in a year or two, or invest in a nice PC if you really like Bethesda games, because that’s probably how it’s going to be.

mckmas8808

Banned
No. No. No (maybe?).

If they aren't anti-consumer, then were we all being silly over the summer when the talk of the town was how anti-consumer Sony was for making Spiderman exclusive in 1 video game? Plus, Phil did say games shouldn't be exclusive in this type of way. I'd like him to at least address that point. Why the sudden change?

Does it matter? He is a two faced business man. It doesn’t change that the games won’t be on PS5.

It matters when we talk about video games on a video games forum, yes. But that's about it.

Last edited:
So is MS anti-consumer now? And is Phil Spencer officially a liar? Didn't he say they didn't believe in doing video game's business this way?
I fail to understand thy meaning friend. Only MS puts their games on PC and console day one. Plus multiple titles are on smart phones and tablets. He never said MS first party titles were all going to PlayStation.

Last edited:

Tmack

That`s pretty simple.

If PS5 have a similar marketshare as the PS4, those games are almost certain to be multiplat, maybe with time-exclusive for the xbox depending on the xbox consoles numbers.

If the xbox has a lead, it`s the oposite, with those games being exclusive for sure.

Last edited:

Esppiral

But didn't he say something about taking decisions on a game by game basis or something like that? Maybe my memory is failing but this sounds like a backtrack

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It matters when we talk about video games on a video games forum, yes. But that's about it.
It doesn’t matter to me. He just saved me potentially $120-$180 dollars next-gen by putting Bethesda games on games pass. He can continue saying more stupid shit for all I care.

Fbh

Some people are really desperate for any sliver of hope that future Bethesda games will still come to Ps5.

The only thing I'm not sure about is why Phil and MS aren't being more direct about it. What would be downside of a straight up statement that's like "Look we bought these studios to strengthen our first party lineup and all future games that aren't tied to a pre existing agreement/contract will only release on platforms where Gamepass is available" ?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
If they aren't anti-consumer, then were we all being silly over the summer when the talk of the town was how anti-consumer Sony was for making Spiderman exclusive in 1 video game? Plus, Phil did say games shouldn't be exclusive in this type of way. I'd like him to at least address that point. Why the sudden change?

He didn’t and that quote has been taken out of context and discussed to death. In the original GIBiz quote he is specifically talking about making games exclusive to the series X, but you already know that.

SoraNoKuni

Pre console release staments, that guy could be a great politician.
Just wait until they indeed sell the games on PS5 too cause they just can't ignore sony's userbase after making such an expensive investment.

He isn't honest about it and people will call me being in denial, to be clear I don't even play bethesda's games and I have a decent pc alongside sony's offerings.

Buying a whole studio and then funding the creation of new games is in my opinion, slightly less sleazy then carving out small parts from multiplatform games. But in the end, it's the same exclusivity principle. People are going to talk shit either way, and it's usually exaggerated. If you own the entire studio though, that's kind of the end of the complaining in my opinion.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Some people are really desperate for any sliver of hope that future Bethesda games will still come to Ps5.

The only thing I'm not sure about is why Phil and MS aren't being more direct about it. What would be downside of a straight up statement that's like "Look we bought these studios to strengthen our first party lineup and all future games that aren't tied to a pre existing agreement/contract will release exclusively on Xbox, Pc and Xcloud" ?
This pretty much. I don't mind corporations buying other companies, as money moves the world and that's how bussines works.

But being so ambiguous or just silent... That is, imo, the really anti-consumer shit.

He didn't clarify anything. He danced around the question. Do they have to put those games on other systems to make back their money? No they don't and that's what his answer was. BUT that isn't saying they won't put them on PS5. I don't see what is so hard about coming out and giving a straight "No these games are exclusive to our ecosystem" answer that leaves no doubt. Phil keeps dancing around it and that is why people still think it may happen.

Looks like you gotta get both or have a PC. Sorry adults, spend money on video games. Good news is everything will be free with subscription or digital transactions soon.

Got feel bad about those kids. That's where the war will be fought.

Top Bottom