• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer has played quite a bit of Elden Ring already (and some reddit insider info)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/p...t-miyazakis-most-ambitious-game/1100-6484314/

When asked how much of Elden Ring he had seen, Spencer told GameSpot's Tamoor Hussain, "I've seen actually quite a bit. I've played quite a bit."

While Spencer can't say too much, he gave us enough to set the hype high. "As somebody who's played all of Miyazaki's games over at least the last decade, this is clearly the most ambitious game that he's done," he says. "I mean, I love his games, but seeing some of the gameplay mechanics stuff that he's tackling, he and the team are tackling this time, of the setting, working with another creator in terms of story. I love it."

According to Spencer, Elden Ring is Miyazaki "expanding his horizons." He also says that leaves the room while Spencer plays. "I think that's because I'm a bad player, and then when he comes back we'll have a conversation about things that I think," he says. "He's so passionate about what he does. It's one of the things I just love about getting to work with him on some of these games and seeing them come to our platform."

Reddit insider info
Minor things first:

• Sky isnt actually burning, but this is a reference to a concept that takes place in the world though
  • The game is apparently way more populated and you can find communities of NPCs
  • Character creation apparently grants a lot more freedom in all factors
  • Replacements for bonfires/checkpoints are called “anchors” and are shown as swords planted into the ground
More interesting stuff:

• Mini bosses make a return
  • Main boss count is 2nd highest, next to Dark Souls 2
  • You level up with what is called “Pride”, which are replacements to souls
  • 4 types of Magic as opposed to the normal 3
  • As well as pride, you have an alternate currency that is used for vendors and rare upgrades
  • World isn’t massive, but it is packed to the brim
  • The non-official name for the world is “The Darkworld” (real name isnt known to most employees apparently)
  • Area variety is prominent and different from the repeated zone types of previous games
  • Zones have themes like Sekiro which artists actually have to listen to while designing the area (quite interesting)
And finally here is some info about the actual development:

The core game is about finished apparently, with final bug fixes soon. A gameplay trailer will be shown at TGA but a release date is not confirmed. Apparently the studio wont provide a release date until the game is 100% finished and they are confident in the product. If this is before the event, they will give a release date.

cool, is the button-mashing more button-mashing and the pixels more pixels than in the old games?

Last edited:

Gandih42

I have a hard time believing the Reddit inside info, but very excited to hear that the game is in fact not dead. The insider claims don't sound unreasonable but I didn't see any kind of tangible proof that the person didn't just make it up.

Lux R7

958509692d00c53d587145a378401fa5.gif

what???
OMG this is huge, please give us a gameplay trailer From!!

ultrazilla

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/p...t-miyazakis-most-ambitious-game/1100-6484314/

When asked how much of Elden Ring he had seen, Spencer told GameSpot's Tamoor Hussain, "I've seen actually quite a bit. I've played quite a bit."

While Spencer can't say too much, he gave us enough to set the hype high. "As somebody who's played all of Miyazaki's games over at least the last decade, this is clearly the most ambitious game that he's done," he says. "I mean, I love his games, but seeing some of the gameplay mechanics stuff that he's tackling, he and the team are tackling this time, of the setting, working with another creator in terms of story. I love it."

According to Spencer, Elden Ring is Miyazaki "expanding his horizons." He also says that leaves the room while Spencer plays. "I think that's because I'm a bad player, and then when he comes back we'll have a conversation about things that I think," he says. "He's so passionate about what he does. It's one of the things I just love about getting to work with him on some of these games and seeing them come to our platform."

Reddit insider info
Minor things first:

• Sky isnt actually burning, but this is a reference to a concept that takes place in the world though
  • The game is apparently way more populated and you can find communities of NPCs
  • Character creation apparently grants a lot more freedom in all factors
  • Replacements for bonfires/checkpoints are called “anchors” and are shown as swords planted into the ground
More interesting stuff:

• Mini bosses make a return
  • Main boss count is 2nd highest, next to Dark Souls 2
  • You level up with what is called “Pride”, which are replacements to souls
  • 4 types of Magic as opposed to the normal 3
  • As well as pride, you have an alternate currency that is used for vendors and rare upgrades
  • World isn’t massive, but it is packed to the brim
  • The non-official name for the world is “The Darkworld” (real name isnt known to most employees apparently)
  • Area variety is prominent and different from the repeated zone types of previous games
  • Zones have themes like Sekiro which artists actually have to listen to while designing the area (quite interesting)
And finally here is some info about the actual development:

The core game is about finished apparently, with final bug fixes soon. A gameplay trailer will be shown at TGA but a release date is not confirmed. Apparently the studio wont provide a release date until the game is 100% finished and they are confident in the product. If this is before the event, they will give a release date.

Sounds like a good candidate(far enough along) to show a trailer at the Game Awards Show Dec. 10.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
CROSS play should be in this game. There is no reason not to allow it. PS5, PC, Xsx all in one community.

Komatsu

Lol at Spencer pretending to be close buddies with Miyazaki. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Spencer and Miyazaki have worked together for 10 years. Phil joined the Xbox division to assist with developer relations and Miyazaki has been developing for Xbox since 2011, FromSoftware since 2004.

Can’t say if they’re buddies or not but given the high turnover at SCE and its shuttering/transfer to California, Phil is probably the platform stakeholder From has been dealing with the longest.

sublimit

Banned
Spencer and Miyazaki have worked together for 10 years. Phil joined the Xbox division to assist with developer relations and Miyazaki has been developing for Xbox since 2011, FromSoftware since 2004.

Can’t say if they’re buddies or not but given the high turnover at SCE and its shuttering/transfer to California, Phil is probably the platform stakeholder From has been dealing with the longest.
Please tell me more about the games Miyazaki worked with him like Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Miyazaki hasn't worked with him more than he did with people from Sony ,Namco or Activision. Probably much less.

Komatsu

Please tell me more about the games Miyazaki worked with him like Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Miyazaki hasn't worked with him more than he did with people from Sony ,Namco or Activision. Probably much less.

Yawn. No time for console fanboyism.

My post was pretty straightforward and did not claim Spencer was over Miyazaki’s shoulder as he developed his titles.

Miyazaki’s a CEO, dude. He deals with the platform holders all the time. Spencer has done this for Xbox since 2010. It’s not rocket science.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Hope I can hit 30 fps on my fx 6300. This, the system shock remake/3 and Cyberpunk are the only games I am excited about.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would love to hear what he actually played and what exactly he sees as being so ambitious. A lot of hype in his words. What a lucky person. Being able to play it and then speak to the creator. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

sublimit

Banned
Yawn. No time for console fanboyism.

My post was pretty straightforward and did not claim Spencer was over Miyazaki’s shoulder as he developed his titles.

Miyazaki’s a CEO, dude. He deals with the platform holders all the time. Spencer has done this for Xbox since 2010. It’s not rocket science.
No one said that he hasn't work with him on a business level. But he hasn't worked with him more than other platform holders like Sony or 3rd party pubishers like Namco or Activision.And like i said probably less than them.

As much as Spencer would love to make it seem as if he is working together with Miyazaki (lol) on Elden Ring or that he has exclusive access on the game their relation is nothing more than on business level. Unless From Software says otherwise Spencer has the same access to the game as Sony.

OMG!!! This is enough to turn my hollow brothers over at r/Eldenring back to human form! Going to see now how they're fairing. lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And yes; no release date until 100% done! Trying to generate hype by announcing a release date when the game isn't finished is retarded. The game itself should do this, not a release date...

EDIT: Obligatory...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited:

Dolomite

What makes you think he's the only one that got an early look?
He's the first to speak about playing it... because he's the head of Xbox. Hell he's played the initiative's game and we can't even get a teaser or concept art yet

Last edited:

Is it some form of console fanboyism or something? Arguing about the amount of time one guy worked with another :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SirTerry-T

No one said that he hasn't work with him on a business level. But he hasn't worked with him more than other platform holders like Sony or 3rd party pubishers like Namco or Activision.And like i said probably less than them.

As much as Spencer would love to make it seem as if he is working together with Miyazaki (lol) on Elden Ring or that he has exclusive access on the game their relation is nothing more than on business level. Unless From Software says otherwise Spencer has the same access to the game as Sony.
Have we got to the stage where we are fighting over which managers are the bestest friends with development studio CEO's?

FFS.

Top Bottom