• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer joins IGN Unlocked. Talks about Scorpio, 1st party, VR. 1 hour video

Theorry

-Gamepass in the works for 2/3 years. Handfull of games will go out every month. Not much. Cant control 3rd party offcourse. But doesnt want to feel like a trial of the game

-E3 change to Sunday was because to give the news coming out of it more room to breath.

-Pre E3 Scorpio reveal. No plans set in stone yet. But difficult to put everything into the show and the show is more about games then hardware.

-System on chip of Scorpio they got back last October. Ported over Xbox One platform in November and start giving first party teams alpha versions. Scorpio will look "premium" but will be part of the "family" looks wise.

-Devs can do what they want with Scorpio graphics wise. Liked how Horizon Zero Dawn used the extra power of Pro for 1080 screens.

-VR is still a area of inovation and growth. Still thinks Windows is the right place for it atm.
Still wants to VR on console (more when then if) but first wants alot of devs have hands on with VR first and PC is better for that to find out how to make it perfect.

-No plans for a handheld really. Thinks mobiles are a good platform for that also. But never say never.

-Talks about why he says "premium" for Scorpio. Most people will still buy a S but Scorpio is for the Premium customer. People who know what a teraflop is and 4K. Calls it Premium so that people know its not gonna take over the Xbox One line.

-People have a right to voice their concern about first party woes lately. Since he took the job over he wants to "Unfair word. But rework the first party abit" and wants back to the core first. They are at this moment and gonna build from that more. Still think the first party games that are coming this year are great "PR head" he says haha.

-Learned from announcing games to soon. Depends on the game also. Sea of Thieves needed to be announced earlier because of how the game works and needed player feedback on it and will grow over time like a Minecraft game. Intrested in game like Shadow of War where they announce the game and its out couple of months later. But just depends of what kinda game it is.

-No deal with Remedy atm.

-Release date for Voodoo Vince will be announced next week.

The show is one hour. But always worth a watch imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8uBk0FmL5Q&feature=youtu.be

Mediking

Show me a few super awesome exclusives on Scorpio and I'll eventually buy it. Its the same standard I hold for Sony and Nintendo. They grabbed my wallet. But can Microsoft pull it off?

Actually bringing back Fable to its glory would help alot.

Theorry

so wait does this mean they are going after sony this year?

Because he likes the open the show always.
They want to close or open it. On monday they would be abit in the middle these days. But liked to welcome as Xbox people to E3. Some people in the team dont like it. But awell. Both have postive and negative sides.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Show me a few super awesome exclusives on Scorpio and I'll eventually buy it. Its the same standard I hold for Sony and Nintendo. They grabbed my wallet. But can Microsoft pull it off?

Actually bringing back Fable to its glory would help alot.

They already said no scorpio exclusives. This is a pro esque upgrade, that means no pissing off the XB1 userbase that they want to sell to for a low cost with an XB1S

Mediking

They already said no scorpio exclusives. This is a pro esque upgrade, that means no pissing off the XB1 userbase that they want to sell to for a low cost with an XB1S

I REALLY hope they were joking with that. No Scorpio exclusives??? I own a PS4 and the fact that PS4 Pro doesnt have any exclusives is a good thing. BUT! When you shove all that power into a console... Scorpio deserves some kind of powerful exclusive.

I prolly sound like a hypocrite. I'll shut up but if anybody gets what I mean then thanks. Lol

wapplew

He's going to do things his not a fan of this E3, I guess.
Namely third party deals, early game announcement and none gameplay CGI trailers.

Interesting that he's still unsure about a special event. You would think they want the people to know everything about Scorpio before E3 starts though. There's only so much you can say about the system and I doubt they need an hour. I think it can be done in 15 minutes, 30 minutes tops. I wonder how this is all gonna go down.

Good stuff about devs can do what they want with the hardware. Hopefully he means their own studios as well. 4K is great and all but I want Halo 6 to have a huge visual upgrade over 5 and not have it look like Halo 5 in 4K for example.

And it's good that he acknowledged first party is needed. Really hope things in that regard are going to improve. It's the one thing they really need to get better at because everything else about Xbox is just damn good in my book.

Elephant

Neo Member
so wait does this mean they are going after sony this year?

Not necessarily. At previous E3's their announcements are immediately pushed to the back of the queue once Sony hold their conference shortly after. When you think of gaming news sites, they usually show the lastest news at the top of the page, so it's very limited time for their announcements to hit the eye of the more casual gamer.

By moving their conference they're giving themselves a full day of exposure, where the media and gamers can talk about them and only them.

GHG

Just watch the video. Whoever wrote that summary in OP doesn't even English.

What other information are we going to get that's not in the OP?

If there is anything else I'd appreciate you posting it.

an event for scorpio in may could still happen ?

Something surely has to happen. They could do a video and release it where they show the Scorpio but I would say a special event is better. Just odd that nothing is set in stone yet.

We're in March already. I would also be fine if they do focus on it during their E3 show for 15 minutes or so. Should be possible.

Goddamn, here I thought E3 would bring us all the answers and now it all seems unclear what is going to happen. Well, let's wait and see.

Neifirst

I was surprised at how Spencer underplayed the potential Scorpio sales. He stated that the "vast majority" of Xbox One sales will come from the S. I was under the impression this was intended to be more of a successor system, at least as compared to the PS4 Pro.

Something surely has to happen. They could do a video and release it where they show the Scorpio but I would say a special event is better. Just odd that nothing is set in stone yet.

We're in March already. I would also be fine if they do focus on it during their E3 show for 15 minutes or so. Should be possible.

Goddamn, here I thought E3 would bring us all the answers and now it all seems unclear what is going to happen. Well, let's wait and see.

I think we will hear about specs and what the console can do at a separate event and we will see the actual hardware opening their E3 conference. Sorta like with the One S followed by games.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Really interesting stuff on VR. With 3D gaming most knew Super Mario 64 was the killer app (but no really at the time until it was released). I'm not done with the video but Phil mentions the jump distance of Mario etc. There is no killer app but it's not a matter of if but when

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So no Scorpio VR confirmed then. Disappointing.

I was surprised at how Spencer underplayed the potential Scorpio sales. He stated that the "vast majority" of Xbox One sales will come from the S. I was under the impression this was intended to be more of a successor system, at least as compared to the PS4 Pro.

Nah, we always knew since the announcement Scorpio would be an Xbox Pro.

GHG

When its priced at $400 or more and you can pick up an S for a fraction of that with games then of course the sales will be a lot less. It plays the same games after all.

LifEndz

"-E3 change to Sunday was because to give the news coming out of it more room to breath."

I always watch the MS and Sony conferences anyway and I was already interested in MS' conference, but damn if this doesn't have me hyped.

And maybe I missed an earlier announcement, but I was under the impression that Scorpio was only going to run Xb1 games in 4k. Them letting devs use the extra power to improve performance for non-4k owners is pretty damn great.

The games are what matter the most, but Phil wanting the extra time for the news to "breath" has me thinking they're going to announce some major new titles. Awesome stuff.

or it means they will cut the current XB1S msrp, maybe 100$ off?

xabbott

What other information are we going to get that's not in the OP?

If there is anything else I'd appreciate you posting it.

It's an hour long. Off the top of my head he brought up Scalebound/Platinum. Said he would work with them again in a heartbeat but for all involved Scalebound was not working out.

I think we will hear about specs and what the console can do at a separate event and we will see the actual hardware opening their E3 conference. Sorta like with the One S followed by games.

Yeah but I wonder how long that event will be. It's a system in the X1 family, probably won't have a new UI, so a lot is the same. You can only talk so long about the specs and what it will mean for games.

As for E3, it would be fantastic if they opened with Crackdown 3 showing full destruction and just impressing us all with how great it looks and then introduce Scorpio. Tell everybody that what we just saw was straight from the system. :)

brawly

"No one gets left behind"

Phil Spencer, E3 2016

"-E3 change to Sunday was because to give the news coming out of it more room to breath."

I always watch the MS and Sony conferences anyway and I was already interested in MS' conference, but damn if this doesn't have me hyped.

And maybe I missed an earlier announcement, but I was under the impression that Scorpio was only going to run Xb1 games in 4k. Them letting devs use the extra power to improve performance for non-4k owners is pretty damn great.

The games are what matter the most, but Phil wanting the extra time for the news to "breath" has me thinking they're going to announce some major new titles. Awesome stuff.

It does sound like there will be at least one "oh shit" moment if he wants the news to breath. Just more footage of already announced games really isn't going to need much breathing room. I would fucking love it if they can prove us all wrong and announce several new IP. But we gotta be real here, from what studios? Unless they silently have been establishing new studios over the years.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Why are the TVs behind Phil, Sony TVs, and the TV behind IGN dude with goatee not labeled? Way to much beard scratching

Illucio

Banned
They aren't doing too hot this gen, they went from a screeching halt to picking up some steam again then losing most momentum and is just sort of slowly moving.

The hype train is dead and now they're too busy trying to buy a high tech one to replace the old one.

And I feel like even if Scorpio is a success that doesn't fix the problems they are facing now a company, especially as to how Sony is perfecting their formula for success.

massucci

Banned
I mean, he never intended Scorpio as a successor of xbone, he called it as a premium version of the same generation and some people still continue to repeat the opposite. Poor Spencer.

KORNdoggy

why would you be surprised? it's what MS and spencer has said the scorpio is from day 1. people just can't seem to accept that it is not an early next gen launch. it's a XbonePro. that's it. just like how slim sales are the bulk of PS4 sales. xbone s sales will be the bulk of the xbone sales.

these consoles are catering to a niche. just like the pro. people still on the fence about buying a console are price conscious. and some £300-400 console, no matter how powerful, is not going to convince those people. cheap prices are. it's why the base consoles will continue to dominate sales.

xabbott

They aren't doing too hot this gen, they went from a screeching halt to picking up some steam again then losing most momentum and is just sort of slowly moving.

The hype train is dead and now they're too busy trying to buy a high tech one to replace the old one.

And I feel like even if Scorpio is a success that doesn't fix the problems they are facing now a company, especially as to how Sony is perfecting their formula for success.

Think that might just be something you feel/see on these type of forums. For the normal people out there the XB1S is now priced at the point where they're selling them at a decent rate. With play anywhere and gamepass I think they are looking for ways to succeed in other ways since they know they can't sell more consoles than Sony.

It's kind of what they did with Bing. They knew they couldn't beat Google so they worked on making things work at 2nd place and landing deals (Siri/iPhone) to make it profitable.

Top Bottom