• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

jimbojim

Banned
He answers the questions he is asked.

In this instance he was asked what he thought of the Sony reveal and how MS would compare.

In the other instance you want to quote it was “where is gaming going and how will MS compete”

2 very different questions with 2 very different answers that you decided to blend into one narrative.

See where the problem is?

Yes, and?

Just trying to say how Phil is flip-flop man. Well, he really is. This statement contradicta what he said few months ago. If he said before that he doesn't see a PS platform as a competitor, why he suddenly implies it is.

SleepDoctor

Banned
He answers the questions he is asked.

In this instance he was asked what he thought of the Sony reveal and how MS would compare.

In the other instance you want to quote it was “where is gaming going and how will MS compete”

2 very different questions with 2 very different answers that you decided to blend into one narrative.

See where the problem is?

At this point these guys are pretty much twitter mob witch hunting but on here. Just read the comments, laugh, and keep going.

Phil answers what he's asked, same warriors are "outraged" and run in the threads to bang on their keyboards.

These guys are basically walking on eggshells considering how well all the ssd threads aged.

Kagey K

Banned
Yes, and?

Just trying to say how Phil is flip-flop man. Well, he really is. This statement contradicta what he said few months ago. If he said before that he doesn't see a PS platform as a competitor, why he suddenly implies it is.
Again it was about the questions asked, but you don’t get it.

or are purposely being obtuse,

Im thinking it’s option 1.

Kagey K

Banned
At this point these guys are pretty much twitter mob witch hunting but on here. Just read the comments, laugh, and keep going.

Phil answers what he's asked, same warriors are "outraged" and run in the threads to bang on their keyboards.

These guys are basically walking on eggshells considering how well all the ssd threads aged.
As funny as it is to watch the goalposts move, I don’t have the patience for it anymore.

Thank you for the perspective.

FranXico

There has never been a time in history with someone literally sold you a device with everything weaker besides one component that actually doesn't do the work.
1920px-Microsoft-Xbox-One-Console-wKinect.png

Sure there was. Unless one has a very short and selective memory.

Tulipanzo

It seems pretty obvious this is the usual exec talk, and not much confirmation of anything.
Not that the July show can't be impressive, but obviously Phil could never answer "I think their show is much better than ours".

For my part, I found their marketing recently to be all over the place, cancelling XBox 20/20, refusing to talk about Lockhart, and seemingly having no new info to counter the PS5 news cycle.
Like, Smart Delivery is a good idea (with a dumb name), but what's the point of pushing it when you know your competitor is doing the exact same thing?

J____Av

Here is how it will likely go. Sony will obviously sell way more consoles, but the launch line up will be very close in quality, if not a slight edge for Microsoft. The first year, maybe two, Xbox will be right there with Sony for games. People will say they are disappointed by Sony's game output this gen. Then Sony will do what they always do and start putting out AAA hit after hit and Microsoft will start putting out less and less. Sony will end the gen with a bang like always and Microsoft will have given up trying to put out great games and will focus on next gen

Its basically the same thing every gen. Microsft always puts all their effort into the first year or two of the gen and Sony usually takes a year or two before they start pumping out the big games. By the end it always looks one sided

Last edited:

J____Av

I mean honestly though, I feel better about Xbox's launch lineup of exclusive games over PS5's and Xbox hasn't even fully said all their launch titles yet. Halo Infinite, Gears Tactics, Psychonauts 2, Scorn, The Medium and those smaller games shown at the May event were all looking pretty good. Meanwhile for PS5 we have Spider-Man, Astro-Bot, Kena and a few other smaller games? Most of the PS5 games shown at their big event did not have any sort of release window, so it's hard to know when they will come out.

Xbox always blows their load in the beginning of the gen and Sony usually doesn't go crazy with games until year two

Yes, and?

I think you're purposefully playing ignorant here. It's all about context. Phil has only stated that Google, Apple,Amazon etc are BIGGER competition in the long run vs say Sony, who is a significantly smaller company and only involved the console hardware space.

It's really not difficult to understand Phil's stance.

This is Spencer's MO. Since 2014, he tells some lies, he visits Japan, he feels good till he feels the punch, more bs to cover previous lies and then, a new year with a new hope comes.

And people only remembers the sonic cycle lol

Obviously he's going to Japan and having some success. Kingdom Hearts, all the FF games,Yakuza, Neir Automata etc...are now on Xbox. Shinobi,Benji, and other well known insiders sure don't think he's lying about having a lot to show at this July event.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

It's great that he feels good... but I have this impression of him always being overly bullish every E3 and I believe they will have a good show but I don't think it will be earth-shattering.

I have a good idea of what to expect from them in terms of games.

He’s the type who will probably suck up to you when losing, and when he’s winning he changes the tone.

But when things dont go well for Xbox Series X/S

Be ready for.... console sales don't matter..... playstation isn't our competition, google is....

pasterpl

What's the problem? Looks like sometimes Phil say one thing, next time other. He really is flip-flop man. How the wind blows

he literally answers questions asked by journalists, it is not like he goes out and tweets these Statements out of nowhere....what people aren’t understanding here? There are different questions/statements from different interviews. One is not contradicting the other.

J____Av

Sure, if you want to leave out new leadership, acquisition of 7+ studios in the last few years and the fact that they do have hands down the more powerful next gen console.

We should just assume all this new shit is going to be amazing? Its freaking Microsoft. They are more likely to destroy those studios (only 2 of which were good studios) than support them and pop out hits. Don't be a blind sheep. Its been like 10 plus years since they consistently popped out great games. If they can get back to the early 360 days i will trust them. But until then I will remain skeptical. As should everyone

I mean... is he wrong? People kept saying Sony was targeting 2019 so they had a lot of time to get launch games ready when in reality, they have to moneyhat average looking games to prop up their shitty launch lineup.

Psykodad

Banned
I mean honestly though, I feel better about Xbox's launch lineup of exclusive games over PS5's and Xbox hasn't even fully said all their launch titles yet. Halo Infinite, Gears Tactics, Psychonauts 2, Scorn, The Medium and those smaller games shown at the May event were all looking pretty good. Meanwhile for PS5 we have Spider-Man, Astro-Bot, Kena and a few other smaller games? Most of the PS5 games shown at their big event did not have any sort of release window, so it's hard to know when they will come out.
Sony also hasn't talked about all their games yet. We still have a couple of months to go.

thelastword

Banned
Godfall and Spiderman normally wouldn't be enough to get me day 1. (Using stimulus to get box XSX and PS5) but I'll likely grab them both for something to play on ps5. But if I had to choose I'd take Halo Infinite on XSX over Spiderman Miles Morales as this point.
Of course you would, yet Sony has not revealed it's full launch lineup yet. Halo is not even close to the quality it used to be, whilst Spiderman is one of the most successful IP's this gen.
Microsoft has always been bad at this. They are usually arrogant and then get their asses kicked. All those windows vs apple commercials come to mind.
It's been the same song and dance for over a decade. After all the hype for X018 by Phil and the media. All the hype for their last event, and I still remember the year when he said XBOX will present the most games ever in history at an E3. Only to show several indies no one is interested in, DLC to ORI, SOT, SOD etc.....as all part of the padded list. Phil is known for overhyping and under-delivering. What's ironic is that he just boasted the power of XBONEX and then to show mostly indies and none of his first party games showed that ultimate power of the XBONEX he was touting.....You can't be talking most powerful console and then go on to show us Ori, SOD, SLT, SOT......

It's the same thing here, lots of talk about power, but you best get ready for lots of indies and AA games that wont look that great from their studios as their studios are mostly AA/indie and they have categorically stated that they are not leaving XBOX one behind, they also need to fuel gamepass too, which means the games can't be ambitious even if they wanted too......So you can understand why they are bringing up 60fps to 120fps.......If the games still run on XBOXONE, it should run at 240fps on Series X imo, It's just as Forza 7 running at over 100fps at 4K on a Vega 56, of course that will run 4k 120fps on Series X and so will lots of indie and AA looking games too....

That theory is only heavily promoted by the most rusted-on Sony fans. The reality is that the Series X is more powerful.
Nearly all games are third-party, so how that power advantage plays out for third-party games will be the deciding factor for a lot of people.
The mistake you are making is not knowing that third party games are not a deciding factor for many outside of many compelling first party games..............It's why PS4 stomped the competition so hard, because their first party software was so good this gen, they also had the bonus of third party dominance for 4 years with these third party games so that helped with the casual crowd, but mostly because people have learned to trust the PS brand. I can tell you most people are not buying new systems now because of COD or Fifa in 2020, they are buying new systems because of LOU2, Tsushima and all the great high Meta first party games that came before, like GOW, Spiderman, Horizon etc......Games they can't get elsewhere.....

pasterpl

I believe him.

But with render scaling tech improving the way it is (e.g. DLSS v2.0), will it really matter this gen? We've already seen PS5 games using 1/4 render scaling for their ray tracing. As powerful as XB is, it will likely need to adopt a similar solution. If both are using render scaling, at what point does it really matter if it's 1/4 render scaling or 1/2?

directML should be the answer

We should just assume all this new shit is going to be amazing? Its freaking Microsoft. They are more likely to destroy those studios (only 2 of which were good studios) than support them and pop out hits. Don't be a blind sheep. Its been like 10 plus years since they consistently popped out great games. If they can get back to the early 360 days i will trust them. But until then I will remain skeptical. As should everyone

with your logic; I don’t understand how people can trust Sony engineering, ps3 yold, PS4 jet engine (ms improved massively after rrod and xbonex is piece of art from engineering perspective). Based on your logic, and Sony track record, ps5 will overheat and be loud as hell. They obviously lack the skills to produce sensible size box that will not overheat.

Psykodad

Banned
Phil knows he can top the entire Sony conference graphically just by showing Hellblade 2 and Flight Simulator 2020. But I'm guessing he's going to add a few more for good measure.
And then GOW PS5 gets the spotlight and people will forget all about Xbox.

J____Av

directML should be the answer

with your logic; I don’t understand how people can trust Sony engineering, ps3 yold, PS4 jet engine (ms improved massively after rrod and xbonex is piece of art from engineering perspective). Based on your logic, and Sony track record, ps5 will overheat and be loud as hell. They obviously lack the skills to produce sensible size box that will not overheat.

PS 5 may have those issues (we both know you are overblowing those issues though). But games are what important and Sony has always produced the games. Their first party is proven. Xbox just came off arguably the worst first party showing of any major console in any gen. It would be moronic to trust they will bring the games next gen

SaucyJack

Phil knows he can top the entire Sony conference graphically just by showing Hellblade 2 and Flight Simulator 2020. But I'm guessing he's going to add a few more for good measure.

Really?

I mean Flight Simulator is cool and all, but your talking about a couple of games that will barely sell there.

Hellblade 1 barely sold on XBO yet the sequel is going to set the world on fire

Last edited:

the_master

I honestly couldn't care less if Xbox Series X is a bit more powerful. Sony has proven time and time again that they get the best exclusives. If you don't have the games, you're not on my radar.
This can and does change every generation.
Brand loyalty is pointless.
We need to wait and see.

Is he supposed to admit defeat or something?
Yes, bend the knee, then turn around and bend over.

MS can put on a really good show and their console has more processing power, so why would they not make these claims? No matter how inconsequent the difference is once everything is in motion.

Xbox is like the little brother always asking for attention at the party... saying I’ll do this and I’ll do that. my big brother (Sony) don’t have a chance against me.. and people look, smile and pet him in the head saying...sure you’ll do... give it some more years and you’ll do great things..

(meanwhile Sony keeps killing it at the party running the show and give people what they want)

Top Bottom