• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

SkylineRKR

Power doesn''t bother me one bit. Not once did I think about getting an X1X despite having more TF than Pro. Its about the games. X1X doesn't have DS, Last of Us, Tsushima, FFVII etc. GamePass, thats something I would like to have.

The Series X could be 5 times as powerful and I'm still not sure I would do it. I am into the PS ecosystem, not throwing all that away and have no time to play games from both consoles. I've yet to start with TLoU2 lol.

I did have a 360 when it came out and liked it until MS started to kill PGR, let Bungie walk, kind of murdered Rare... they essentially focused everything on Gears, Forza and Halo (by a different studio post-Reach). I didn't like that shit.

Last edited:

Shmunter

tenor.gif

SleepDoctor

Banned
It’s been rough. First all of the “insiders” were completely wrong about the specs then the game reveal video was a little disappointing. If MS comes out swinging next month, it might break some people.

You know the concern is bad when they haven't even been talking about the "superfast ssd" in the Ps5..... i mean spec thread. Shit we haven't even seen another ssd thread in awhile 🤣.

They've been served nothing but crow so far. Expect more salt from them.

Virex

Banned
What did people expect. Him saying after the PS5 show that they are exiting the console business. It's a fact that PS5 Wil outsell the XSeX. That's a given. And PS5 will be more popular. While we're out here tearing each other apart over which console is better the average consumer doesn't give a shit. But give Microsoft this. It's nice to be able to say they you have a more powerful console.

sublimit

Banned
Philly boy, you've had the advantage over PlayStation in terms of power for the last 3 years. Your casual customer doesn't even care about power or specs. It's all about the games.
Yup.Where were all these games that took advantage of "the world's most powerful console"? Meanwhile Sony still supports their console with huge AAA games like TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima with the later being a brand new IP.

First release the games you haven't even showed yet and then start to talk.

Last edited:

oldergamer

imagine that he feels confident in his line up, i'm guessing because they have done more with next gen visuals then they saw sony accomplish. I'm certain they will come out with some really cool stuff and make good use out of unreal engine. we already know there are a few titles that are using unreal 5.

SleepDoctor

Banned
imagine that he feels confident in his line up, i'm guessing because they have done more with next gen visuals then they saw sony accomplish. I'm certain they will come out with some really cool stuff and make good use out of unreal engine. we already know there are a few titles that are using unreal 5.

If rumors are anything to go by, there will be a lot more crow served. If we're still having this conversation after the even, then there's a problem. But I mean with things like Bugsnax, Goodbye Volcano High, and Spiderman spinoff to compete with, I guess anybody would be confident too.

I sometimes wonder how he has time to actually do his job with all these interviews he's doing every day.

Or is doing interviews his job?

We actually have more than enough data to make a Phil Spencer interview bot.
people make threads for everything he tweets. This topic alone has been made before.

The head of Xbox title is a smokescreen for his real job. PR marketer.

You need to take a look at PS4 launched lineup.

Price and Hardware specs played more important role than launch line up as GTA, FIFA, and COD will always be the main seller for those platforms.

Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Drive Club
The order 1882
Infamous Second Son
LBP3

All sold like shit
Thats normal when you realese a console..the first half year the attachment rate is shit...so its only logical that release games sell like shit. You dont need to be Einstein to figure that out😉

oldergamer

Poor microsoft, when they favoured exclusives over console power, they got smashed, and now when they favoured console power over exclusives, they will probably also get smashed.
That statement makes no sense. They have power and will show more next gen looking console exclusives then Sony did.

HawarMiran

Banned
blah blah blah blah. I know it is his job to sound confident but I can't stand this guy. Trying to sell their box since 2014 or -15 with promises over promises. Only thing he delivered was studio acquisitions and a mid-gen refresh that played multi plats slightly better. I know these things take time but if Xbox can't deliver in next-gen there is no excuse for Spencer anymore.

oldergamer

The blue dragon trademark was re-registered and renewed in 2019 by microsoft.

Please please please Phil give us a new game!

IF MS comes out of the gate with a bunch of RPG's like they did with the 360,and can keep that momentum ( unlike the kinect days ), then I could see them repeating early xbox 360 success.

Last edited:

pasterpl

The blue dragon trademark was re-registered and renewed in 2019 by microsoft.

Please please please Phil give us a new game!

IF MS comes out of the gate with a bunch of RPG's like they did with the 360,and can keep that momentum ( unlike the kinect days ), then I could see them repeating early xbox 360 success.

playground is working on RPG, they have got obsidian as part of their studios and these guys will probably work only on rpgs, everwild might end up being action RPG as well, you have got AA Grounded already in beta, if you are interested in RPGs you should have plenty to play on xbox

MaulerX

Really?

I mean Flight Simulator is cool and all, but your talking about a couple of games that will barely sell there.

Hellblade 1 barely sold on XBO yet the sequel is going to set the world on fire

I was talking about graphics. Not sales. Seems like that's all you care about it seems. If you get a great game that you enjoy, why are you worried about sales?

It’s been rough. First all of the “insiders” were completely wrong about the specs then the game reveal video was a little disappointing. If MS comes out swinging next month, it might break some people.

That game reveal video had been the best reveal so far and included some big games like a proper gt game etc and brought demon souls back as per what the fans wanted we haven't had anything like that so far from the other camp yet we have to wait untill the next game reveal from Xbox to see what they bring to the table but hands down so far Sony has had the best showing imho and the balls in ms's court.

I hope ms brings it in July but I won't blindly cheerlead for them like most because they haven't delivered on the games front for a long time which is what this hobby of ours is about and untill they do they just won't be market leader which is the aim for any company.

Redlight

The mistake you are making is not knowing that third party games are not a deciding factor for many outside of many compelling first party games..............

If third party games are significantly better on Series X, then that will sway a lot of people.

Certainly not you. Obviously. I think we all understand that.

oldergamer

The reality is that you don't know what the PS5s launch lineup is like yet so let Sony have their other events before coming to a conclusion.
What are you talking about. Sony already showed the launch lineup. Its like you can't accept reality or something. Sony didn't hold back any big guns.

Last edited:
What are you talking about. Sony already showed the launch lineup. Its like you can't accept reality or something. Sony didn't hold back any big guns.

They still mentioned that they have more events in the future. And we haven't got dates for many titles.

Don't you think that we don't have a complete view of the launch lineup due to that?

SleepDoctor

Banned

None of the games had a date on the show iirc. But the argument of "Sony held back" is their way of justifying it was a weak overhyped showing.

Its the straw to grab if ms knocks it out of the park. Similar to the "Ps5 had plenty of advantages or the xsx they just haven't communicated yet" lol.

splattered

Sony wouldn't be buying so many 3rd party console exclusives if they had more 1st party games lined up for launch or even the following first year.

Realistically we should be going into the PS5 launch expecting to buy some 3rd party stuff and to play around with the PS4 enhancements of games we already own.

It will probably be the same for both PS5 and XsX.

None of the games had a date on the show iirc. But the argument of "Sony held back" is their way of justifying it was a weak overhyped showing.

There's still more unannounced titles in the works the same goes for Microsoft. Pretty sure Sony will have more events in the future and they will announce even more games at them. I'm pretty sure we will see games at the events before the PS5s launch but I'm not sure of it will be anything new. Maybe a trailer or teaser of some new titles but I'm not expecting them to be launch titles. There's always a possibility that Sony has a surprise launch title but I doubt it.

I still stand by my belief that we don't have all the details on both companies launch lineups.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
There's still more unannounced titles in the works the same goes for Microsoft. Pretty sure Sony will have more events in the future and they will announce even more games at them. I'm pretty sure we will see games at the events before the PS5s launch but I'm not sure of it will be anything new. Maybe a trailer or teaser of some new titles but I'm not expecting them to be launch titles. There's always a possibility that Sony has a surprise launch title but I doubt it.

I still stand by my belief that we don't have all the details on both companies launch lineups.

Of course they'll have more to show. But odds aren't very likely we see another big AAA exclusive that's going to ready for launch. Third-party exclusive is a possibility tho.

All their big studios have just recently or are about to release a game. So if they have something in the works it probably wasn't ready for their june event. Being even less likely a launch title

I mean, they do have hardware advantages. That much is obvious. Mainly in the CPU and GPU area, the latter probably by some amounts bigger than most are thinking due to customizations that haven't been divulged yet. At the same time, we know PS5 has some advantages too, mainly in the SSD I/O department, if we're talking about raw performance metrics in these areas.

Frankly, this is the kind of assertiveness MS needs to do more of. You can't be a leader by being meek, and this isn't near the type of burn Sony did to MS back in 2013 (which was good of them to btw, and more of an aggressive measure. Sometimes, being a leader also means you have to be aggressive from time to time).

I think they're realizing that (With them buying up 16+ studios). They need compelling titles/exclusives to keep customers on their platform. Forza, Gears, and Halo aren't cutting it.

But they are? Forza's pretty much GT's equal (in some ways superior) these days. The latest Gears game did quite well with critics and gamers (something that can't be said for the latest of another major IP with another platform holder, tbh), and Halo Infinite looks like it'll be a big deal and has both fans and a lot of outsiders pretty excited for what it'll bring.

Yes, they need more than just those three (as tentpoles; it's hard to say Ori is a tentpole for example, when the releases are five years apart. Plus some people unfortunately automatically rank 2D games lower than 3D ones even when some of the former are superior experiences), but the notion that they're "rung out" or people by and large are tired of them, is false.

Microsoft is focusing on performance, and while that is good, they MUST have good games! It's not enough to have third party games running better on Xbox, or having Tetris having 120 Fps. People want new games, with great story, great gameplay and great performance. Not just the performance part.

The problem with Microsoft is that they think games as anything that can be played. They don't care what it is, as long as it's called a game. It's like when your mother brings you Call of Doody 2 for your 12th birthday, because for her, it was all the same. She just sees video games.

Sony on the other hand, knows what gamers want. They learned people want AAA games from them. They know people want epic single player experiences, and that's what they are doing. They also have a lot of variety with many genres, PLUS they have third party games.

Nintendo also knows their audience. They know they like Nintendo IPs, and they keep them coming.

Microsoft doesn't know that. Microsoft hasn't learned what their audience is. They need to do something that make people wow, and want to go buy their console.

How many people actually buy an Xbox because of their games? It's a third party console. That's why it failed this generation, because casuals will buy the console that most of their friends have, and this time it was the PS4. The Xbox One because a secondary console, and with the Switch, not even that.

Microsoft needs to give experiences to people that make them want to buy OVER the competition. They need their God of War, their Super Mario, their OWN identity.

Man, this is kind of a misguided post. First off, Tetris at 120 FPS? This isn't the Atari VCS, they aren't stooping that low.

Not everyone likes Sony's offering the same way. I can tell you right now, if Sony's vision for their 1st-party going forward is stuff like TLOU2 (in terms of the overall package), they can count me out. There's a right and wrong way to do those types of epic, story-driven single-player experiences and imho TLOU2 does a lot of it the wrong way. Thankfully they look to have things like the new R&C and Horizon 2 coming which will do it the right way (though, there's a chance both of those games will have multiplayer components too, especially Horizon 2).

I would say MS already have that identity you speak of, the issue this past gen was in efficiently leveraging it. If you look at the rumors surrounding some of their unannounced projects (revivals, new IP etc.), they definitely seem to be leaning to stuff on that front Sony and Nintendo don't specialize in. If a MS studio announces they're doing a modernized 4X game, that'd cement their direction imo.

Also, your idea that the exclusives drive the sales isn't 100% true. People keep forgetting the Wii U; tons of 1st-party exclusives, still ended up being Nintendo's worst-selling home console. What you mean to say is the XBO lacked a balance in its offerings of value proposition, and that would be the correct answer.

Yet they haven't showed anything that show Xbox Series X advantage over PS5 in fact most people are wondering if Xbox Series X will match PS5 lol

The RT in the BMI demo showcase looked better than any RT from Sony's show and that's a 3rd-party title made by a single guy.

Last edited:

Renozokii

I don't think Cerny has mentioned Xbox ONCE. Similarly, Jim Ryan is not dropping unprofessional digs like Spencer and Greenberg every other day.
What can they mention?

"Our launch line up is better despite there not being really anything confirmed for launch line up"
"Our console is weaker in every way but SSD, but the SSD is going to magically close the gap, but we couldn't show a single super impressive game"

On Demand

Banned
As if he’s going to admit anything else?

“Yes Sony surprised us with their digital console version. It leaves us in an awkward position with Lockhart.

Our GPU advantage is only 18% but we hope is manifest in a night and day quality difference. Diminishing returns be dammed.”

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Launch lineup does not define a generation. Unless of course next gen starts and a month later the PS6 and XBSXS1 comes out.

Except nothing from ms was 1st party. If you feel that was competition, idk what Sony will respond to the 1st party event with.

Probably another PS5 event showing titles that are further off. I'm not expecting everything to be a launch title at Microsofts first party event. Sony will most likely reveal titles that will compete with those.

SaucyJack

I was talking about graphics. Not sales. Seems like that's all you care about it seems. If you get a great game that you enjoy, why are you worried about sales?

No you weren’t.

You were saying that 2 niche games would top the entire Sony conference. Which is an objectively absurd position.

Last edited:

sendit

But they are? Forza's pretty much GT's equal (in some ways superior) these days. The latest Gears game did quite well with critics and gamers (something that can't be said for the latest of another major IP with another platform holder, tbh), and Halo Infinite looks like it'll be a big deal and has both fans and a lot of outsiders pretty excited for what it'll bring.

Yes, they need more than just those three (as tentpoles; it's hard to say Ori is a tentpole for example, when the releases are five years apart. Plus some people unfortunately automatically rank 2D games lower than 3D ones even when some of the former are superior experiences), but the notion that they're "rung out" or people by and large are tired of them, is false.

You know this is simply not true. We can go down that road, but I'd rather not. Wondering why there is no sales data on Gears 5 or FH4?

Xbox1
Halo 5: 5 mil
Gears 5: No data
Gears 4: 2.6 mil
FH4: No data
FH3: 2.5 mil

PS4
Uncharted 4: 16 mil
Spider Man: 13.2 mil
God of War: 10 mil
Horizon Zero Dawn: 10 mil
GT Sport: 8 mil
TLOURemastered: 10 mil
TLOU2: 4 mil (within a week)
FF Remake: 3.5 mil
Detroit Become Human: 3.2 mil
Death Stranding: 2.7 mil
Killzone SF: 2.1 mil
Bloodborne: 2 mil
Driveclub: 2 mil
Knack: 2 mil
Infamous: 1 mil

To put this in perspective. The horrible GT Sport (I prefer Forza Horizon) sold more than every Forza game combined that was released on XB1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom