• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

Gamernyc78

Banned
Couldn't find it posted, console war me if old...

"He's just being honest, feels good after the PS5 reveal"

“Just being honest, I felt good after seeing their show. I think the hardware advantages that we have built are going to show up as we’re talking more about our games and frame rates and other things,”

“We got more clarity on what they’re doing at their show which just helped us focus in on more of what we have, and I think that will be a strength for us at launch.”

“When I think about the position that we’re in, with the games that we’re going to be able to show and how they’re going to show up, and the hardware advantage that we have, I think we’re in a very good position,” Spencer says.

tenor.gif

🥱🤭

For me, this is the second biggest issue XBOX has. Phil really needs to step back from the PR and let XBOX games do the talking.

If you don't have games of the quality of the competition you have to do a lot of talking. And so he does. It's not an issue, it's good salesmanship for those that fall for it. He's been stringing folks along for years now... "the next E3" didn't become a meme for nothing. He could care less about those than don't fall for it.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

I don't think Cerny has mentioned Xbox ONCE. Similarly, Jim Ryan is not dropping unprofessional digs like Spencer and Greenberg every other day.

Well neither Cerny or Jim Ryan aren't in a position to drop digs as they are delivering a weaker console and ecosystem so they have to take it now, but his former company CEO did digs with the game trade, so its all fair game as that was significantly more disrespectful move then anything Phil or Greenberg did so far.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
People really need to stop with this "weak console" narrative. PS5 isn't in any way weak nor does it matter for sales or talking points. These graphical differences are getting less and less. Try as hard as you might say otherwise.

Sony could talk big about their first party games compared to MS yet they don't. The let the games do the talking for themselves. Anything else is a waist of time which MS seems to love doing.

They can also talk big about how their ecosystem makes more money than all of MS and Nintendo combined.

Sony doesn't try and prove anything i've notice. They just leave it up to reality.

Murder187

This user has been removed from thread. Knock off the juvenile console war theatrics with “pony, xbot, nintendrones”. Next time it’s a site ban.
So you're getting a pc?
He probably won't be getting a 2 thousand dollar pc when he can get the xsx like many others for 5 hundred or so pony boy you and the rest of you ponies forget to build a pc on the level of xsx or even your ps5 it will cost you nearly triple the amount if the next generation of consoles so stop being a hater enjoy gaming on what ever console you want gamers unite and stop all the fanboy wars

DeaDPo0L84

He probably won't be getting a 2 thousand dollar pc when he can get the xsx like many others for 5 hundred or so pony boy you and the rest of you ponies forget to build a pc on the level of xsx or even your ps5 it will cost you nearly triple the amount if the next generation of consoles so stop being a hater enjoy gaming on what ever console you want gamers unite and stop all the fanboy wars

W...t...f is this response lmao. Check my post history thoroughbred gal (I don't understand the horse references as insults)

I made a comment in jest, I own a X1X, PS4 Pro, and a high end PC. My psn id and gamertag is my username on here,I have receipts.

Chill the fuck out cause you're doing the very thing you're claiming to be annoyed by. Also $2,000, sorry you suck at shopping for PC parts 🤷‍♂️.

W...t...f is this response lmao. Check my post history thoroughbred gal (I don't understand the horse references as insults)

I made a comment in jest, I own a X1X, PS4 Pro, and a high end PC. My psn id and gamertag is my username on here,I have receipts.

Chill the fuck out cause you're doing the very thing you're claiming to be annoyed by. Also $2,000, sorry you suck at shopping for PC parts 🤷‍♂️.

He's just console warring. Don't worry about him.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
See that's the thing Xbox showed 3rd party & Indie games & the consensus was that it was a bad showing Sony showed some 3rd party & indie games also & for the most part people loved what they seen & also people was impressed with the Unreal 5 demo running on PS5, for Xbox SX people are still waiting for that showing that give people something to talk about.

The truth is with effort someone can blow our minds with the PS4 Pro & Xbox One X so sure Xbox Series X can show some mind blowing stuff.
Those showings were two different things. To act as if they were not is to be willfully ignorant. 3rs party sizzle reels vs actually gameplay demonstrations and 1st party game announcements. You are comparing an episode of inside Xbox to Sony's e3 equivalent conference.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The jump from the PS4 to PS5 (8+ TF): Um, is this a generational difference?

The jump from a 10 TF machine to a 12 TF machine (2 TF): Series X graphics are going to be leaps and bounds better than the PS5!

Dnice1

I don't see any other CEO's talking as much as he does.

There are other ways to build pre-lauch hype that don't involve talking BTW.

Unfortunately come November we won't be able to buy a bottle of Phil-speak.

Jim Ryan was doing all kinds of interviews after their June event. Nobody asked him a question about XSX. This interviewer asked Phil what he thought about the PS5 event and he answered.

The jump from the PS4 to PS5 (8+ TF): Um, is this a generational difference?

The jump from a 10 TF machine to a 12 TF machine (2 TF): Series X graphics are going to be leaps and bounds better than the PS5!

Are you talking about 1.8 vs 10.2?

That seems like a pretty big difference to me.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Probably another PS5 event showing titles that are further off. I'm not expecting everything to be a launch title at Microsofts first party event. Sony will most likely reveal titles that will compete with those.

Im not expecting much to be a launch title from the ms event. They just recently acquired all those studios like 2 years ago.

Liamario

Banned
Look. The only way Sony are going to be in trouble is if they announce a bad price. Xbox fans will be happy and everyone else will be happy with PlayStation.

n0razi

Let me know when there are more than a handful of exclusives I care for... console specs are meaningless for those of us with half decent PCs

bargeparty

Yes, bend the knee, then turn around and bend over.

MS can put on a really good show and their console has more processing power, so why would they not make these claims? No matter how inconsequent the difference is once everything is in motion.

I don't think you understood my joke or what PR is.

Murder187

Why do you and so many others try to convince people to get a pc or ps5 because all games on xsx will be on PC's I'm just saying me and a lot of other people will play our games on the most powerful console (xsx)which is cheaper than a pc

splattered

Why do you and so many others try to convince people to get a pc or ps5 because all games on xsx will be on PC's I'm just saying me and a lot of other people will play our games on the most powerful console (xsx)which is cheaper than a pc

This.

At home i use a very capable Alienware PC with a 1070ti ...for work.

I have literally NEVER played a single game on it and i never intend to.

Just have no interest in using a PC for gaming, i'm a console person through and through.

Psykodad

Banned
You know the concern is bad when they haven't even been talking about the "superfast ssd" in the Ps5..... i mean spec thread. Shit we haven't even seen another ssd thread in awhile 🤣.

They've been served nothing but crow so far. Expect more salt from them.
Just wait for the HFW gameplay showcase. That'll be the first big test.

Dr Bass

I just realized Phil has been the head of Xbox since 2014.

Can anyone name a single new truly great IP created for Microsoft since he took over? I've had xbox original, the 360 and the one (including the One X) and I can't currently think of one. I mean we are coming up on a decade here and he's been promoted during that period, while continuing to come in last place.

And he feels good about where they are at? Ok dude. It's really time for him to start putting up or he should shut up. We've been hearing this exact same rhetoric for seven years.

Dr Bass

You know the concern is bad when they haven't even been talking about the "superfast ssd" in the Ps5..... i mean spec thread. Shit we haven't even seen another ssd thread in awhile 🤣.

They've been served nothing but crow so far. Expect more salt from them.

Wait, you think people who prefer Playstation have been served nothing but crow? What planet is that idea from?

Also as a computer scientist/engineer this mocking of the "superfast ssd" is hilarious. Part of my work is managing massive amounts of data in enterprise situations (I lead engineering at my place of work). So much of our work centers around optimizing for data fetching in terms of speed and efficiency, it makes such a massive difference in how software performs and what you can actually DO with said software. I literally just delivered a new feature this week based around a process that used to take hours, that we can essentially do in real time now, all because of improvements to how we access and organize data, and the team it supports flipped out and referred to it as "game changing." Speed of data access is so important I laugh when I read so many of these comments.

People who dismiss the PS5 SSD literally have no clue what they are talking about. None. Less than none. I would take the PS5 data speed advantage over a 1.8 TF difference in those levels of GPUs any day, all day and every day. You're also assuming that these machines are performing at peak computational capacity for the difference to be that big, and no I don't mean clock speeds. I mean feeding enough data to the parts to actually be processing 12tf vs 10.2 or whatever it is. There are so many factors that go into the performance of a system, you're reading a spec and classifying it as the winner. The CPU and GPU of the PS5 and Xbox Series X are very close, but the PS5 absolutely crushes it in data access. And the PS5 also doesn't have an Xbox Series S, and an Xbox One to be holding back its game design, because they don't need to be cross generational as Microsoft has stated they will be.

Again. Let's see Microsoft prove they have something worth spending money on in terms of software. Sony has been doing great at this aspect of you know, making games, for more than two decades now. I'd honestly be surprised if Microsoft got anywhere near their execution at the flip of a switch. That's just not how corporations work. They are too big, too massive, and full of way too many processes to go from sucking to amazing at the drop of a hat. Especially when the same people are leading those charges!

P.S. Remember when Satya Nadella came on as CEO and said MS was focused on people going from "needing Windows, to choosing Windows to loving Windows"? That was five years ago. How has that worked out for them? Microsoft is a company great at making money because of how they can position themselves in a market (most of the time). They are not a company that makes truly great products.

P.P.S. I have had every Xbox ever made and have Microsoft stock.

i love the fact that the easiest way to spot a sony fanboy is too write a xbox topic, no matter what they're like vegans, they will come and tell you "i don't care about xbox, or it's games" but still you're telling us in a xbox topic.... grow up

Uh ... this is an Xbox topic that specifically refers to Sony and the playstation. You don't want people commenting on Playstation when the topic is about Phil commenting on the Playstation? That makes sense.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
You know this is simply not true. We can go down that road, but I'd rather not. Wondering why there is no sales data on Gears 5 or FH4?

Xbox1
Halo 5: 5 mil
Gears 5: No data
Gears 4: 2.6 mil
FH4: No data
FH3: 2.5 mil

PS4
Uncharted 4: 16 mil
Spider Man: 13.2 mil
God of War: 10 mil
Horizon Zero Dawn: 10 mil
GT Sport: 8 mil
TLOURemastered: 10 mil
TLOU2: 4 mil (within a week)
FF Remake: 3.5 mil
Detroit Become Human: 3.2 mil
Death Stranding: 2.7 mil
Killzone SF: 2.1 mil
Bloodborne: 2 mil
Driveclub: 2 mil
Knack: 2 mil
Infamous: 1 mil

To put this in perspective. The horrible GT Sport (I prefer Forza Horizon) sold more than every Forza game combined that was released on XB1.
Don't forget, all these XBOX games are on PC too, so PC sales are included.....On the flip some of these PS sales are from a long time ago.......Spiderman and GOW for example and of UC4 have sold much more than the figures you gave including most of these PS games where we only got figures very early on.........

draliko

Wait, you think people who prefer Playstation have been served nothing but crow? What planet is that idea from?

Also as a computer scientist/engineer this mocking of the "superfast ssd" is hilarious. Part of my work is managing massive amounts of data in enterprise situations (I lead engineering at my place of work). So much of our work centers around optimizing for data fetching in terms of speed and efficiency, it makes such a massive difference in how software performs and what you can actually DO with said software. I literally just delivered a new feature this week based around a process that used to take hours, that we can essentially do in real time now, all because of improvements to how we access and organize data, and the team it supports flipped out and referred to it as "game changing." Speed of data access is so important I laugh when I read so many of these comments.

People who dismiss the PS5 SSD literally have no clue what they are talking about. None. Less than none. I would take the PS5 data speed advantage over a 1.8 TF difference in those levels of GPUs any day, all day and every day. You're also assuming that these machines are performing at peak computational capacity for the difference to be that big, and no I don't mean clock speeds. I mean feeding enough data to the parts to actually be processing 12tf vs 10.2 or whatever it is. There are so many factors that go into the performance of a system, you're reading a spec and classifying it as the winner. The CPU and GPU of the PS5 and Xbox Series X are very close, but the PS5 absolutely crushes it in data access. And the PS5 also doesn't have an Xbox Series S, and an Xbox One to be holding back its game design, because they don't need to be cross generational as Microsoft has stated they will be.

Again. Let's see Microsoft prove they have something worth spending money on in terms of software. Sony has been doing great at this aspect of you know, making games, for more than two decades now. I'd honestly be surprised if Microsoft got anywhere near their execution at the flip of a switch. That's just not how corporations work. They are too big, too massive, and full of way too many processes to go from sucking to amazing at the drop of a hat. Especially when the same people are leading those charges!

P.S. Remember when Satya Nadella came on as CEO and said MS was focused on people going from "needing Windows, to choosing Windows to loving Windows"? That was five years ago. How has that worked out for them? Microsoft is a company great at making money because of how they can position themselves in a market (most of the time). They are not a company that makes truly great products.

Uh ... this is an Xbox topic that specifically refers to Sony and the playstation. You don't want people commenting on Playstation when the topic is about Phil commenting on the Playstation? That makes sense.
No more simply if you have something to add to the topic (like you did) you're welcome, if you just drive by and post that you don't like xbox and Ps ftw you could simply avoid that, nobody cares, or at least nobody that isn't a fanboy

Dr Bass

No more simply if you have something to add to the topic (like you did) you're welcome, if you just drive by and post that you don't like xbox and Ps ftw you could simply avoid that, nobody cares, or at least nobody that isn't a fanboy

Ah ok, guess I misunderstood. I agree with what you're saying. My position tends to come from a place of exasperation with Microsoft. I want to love their stuff, but to me I feel like they just under deliver. The first Xbox felt like such a revelation in the console space at the time, bringing a PC like feel with Xbox Live and all that. It just feels squandered. If I didn't like them or didn't care I just wouldn't comment, like you said. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I tend to buy all the consoles that come out. Been really enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive on Switch the past two weeks. I just want quality software from every platform.

DeaDPo0L84

Man...I'm having flashbacks to posting on Era with this level of reading comprehension. How you got to this point from my comment to you is magical.

SleepDoctor

Banned

When they show something other than fast loading, we'll see. Lets not forget they said "no load screens" but R & C still had some although minimal.

The ssd is not a gpu, its not streaming 8k if the gpu can't regardless of the fairytales you guys are telling in the spec thread.

93xfan

Banned
All I care about is games, so can’t wait to play Halo infinite and the best version of cyberpunk 2077 this year!

Same. Been enjoying Halo MCC so much and am so glad it and all my other purchases are being respected.

Such a great ecosystem. Now I just need to see Halo, Forza and some surprises.

draliko

Ah ok, guess I misunderstood. I agree with what you're saying. My position tends to come from a place of exasperation with Microsoft. I want to love their stuff, but to me I feel like they just under deliver. The first Xbox felt like such a revelation in the console space at the time, bringing a PC like feel with Xbox Live and all that. It just feels squandered. If I didn't like them or didn't care I just wouldn't comment, like you said. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I tend to buy all the consoles that come out. Been really enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive on Switch the past two weeks. I just want quality software from every platform.
Every gen from the time I started to work I tend to get all the consoles, so I'm not really a fanboy, I mainly play on pc and ps4, but Ps fanboysm is way worse of everything I've ever saw, even worse of nintendo lovers or pcmr guys. I really hope xbox delivers, because if Sony has no competition nobody wins, and as a gamer that sucks

Rolla

Banned
If you don't have games of the quality of the competition you have to do a lot of talking. And so he does. It's not an issue, it's good salesmanship for those that fall for it. He's been stringing folks along for years now... "the next E3" didn't become a meme for nothing. He could care less about those than don't fall for it.

The next E3 thing is funny but I think it's the contrast that really hurts. I mean, PS barely talks. I saw Yoshida at the recent event and was legit hyped. They really let the games do the talking and again in contrast, I think Phil's constant PR is beginning to wear thin.

If they don't knock it out the park at their next event, it'll be a problem.

Top Bottom