• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

Grinchy

Banned
I just realized Phil has been the head of Xbox since 2014.

Can anyone name a single new truly great IP created for Microsoft since he took over? I've had xbox original, the 360 and the one (including the One X) and I can't currently think of one. I mean we are coming up on a decade here and he's been promoted during that period, while continuing to come in last place.

And he feels good about where they are at? Ok dude. It's really time for him to start putting up or he should shut up. We've been hearing this exact same rhetoric for seven years.
Yeah it's a huge shame. The first Xbox came out swinging hard. The 360 started out well and then dove off a cliff to chase facebook grandmas with dancing games. The One has just been such a disappointment. I want to be excited about Xbox again, but it's been so long since the last time it was worth caring about.

Hopefully that changes with the XSX. Maybe all these acquisitions will result in some really cool stuff that doesn't have Halo, Forza or Gears in the title. It sucks that they're crippling the entire generation with a low-end shitbox just to "pump those numbers up" but we could still hopefully see some cool stuff.

pasterpl

Wait, you think people who prefer Playstation have been served nothing but crow? What planet is that idea from?

Also as a computer scientist/engineer this mocking of the "superfast ssd" is hilarious. Part of my work is managing massive amounts of data in enterprise situations (I lead engineering at my place of work). So much of our work centers around optimizing for data fetching in terms of speed and efficiency, it makes such a massive difference in how software performs and what you can actually DO with said software. I literally just delivered a new feature this week based around a process that used to take hours, that we can essentially do in real time now, all because of improvements to how we access and organize data, and the team it supports flipped out and referred to it as "game changing." Speed of data access is so important I laugh when I read so many of these comments.

People who dismiss the PS5 SSD literally have no clue what they are talking about. None. Less than none. I would take the PS5 data speed advantage over a 1.8 TF difference in those levels of GPUs any day, all day and every day. You're also assuming that these machines are performing at peak computational capacity for the difference to be that big, and no I don't mean clock speeds. I mean feeding enough data to the parts to actually be processing 12tf vs 10.2 or whatever it is. There are so many factors that go into the performance of a system, you're reading a spec and classifying it as the winner. The CPU and GPU of the PS5 and Xbox Series X are very close, but the PS5 absolutely crushes it in data access. And the PS5 also doesn't have an Xbox Series S, and an Xbox One to be holding back its game design, because they don't need to be cross generational as Microsoft has stated they will be.

Again. Let's see Microsoft prove they have something worth spending money on in terms of software. Sony has been doing great at this aspect of you know, making games, for more than two decades now. I'd honestly be surprised if Microsoft got anywhere near their execution at the flip of a switch. That's just not how corporations work. They are too big, too massive, and full of way too many processes to go from sucking to amazing at the drop of a hat. Especially when the same people are leading those charges!

P.S. Remember when Satya Nadella came on as CEO and said MS was focused on people going from "needing Windows, to choosing Windows to loving Windows"? That was five years ago. How has that worked out for them? Microsoft is a company great at making money because of how they can position themselves in a market (most of the time). They are not a company that makes truly great products.

P.P.S. I have had every Xbox ever made and have Microsoft stock.

Uh ... this is an Xbox topic that specifically refers to Sony and the playstation. You don't want people commenting on Playstation when the topic is about Phil commenting on the Playstation? That makes sense.

your work scenario probably doesn’t translate 1 to 1 to games development, just saying, also there are other elements beside the ssd that have an impact on games performance (as you should know)

Last edited:

Dolomite

Phil is channelling his inner Cliffy B😂😂😂

Like is he Not supposed to be confident in the console his company has been preparing for the last 5 years?

Dr Bass

your work scenario probably doesn’t translate 1 to 1 to games development, just saying, also there are other elements beside the ssd that have an impact on games performance (as you should know)

I’ve worked on games. I’ve been on IGN too (not that I’m proud of that haha). And programming basically comes down to manipulating and transforming data once you really get down to it.

And yes. Many factors to performance. If I had to pick one system though, from what I know, I’d take the PS5 over the Xbox with the slightly worse graphics and cpu and revolutionary SSD arch. Not even a tough choice. I feel like this is getting off this topic a bit though.

Doom85

I think Phil comes off as a nice guy, and have nothing against Xbox or those who enjoy their titles and such, but as someone who loved the PS5 reveal and has like already over ten titles I'm interested in plus Sony has said more title reveals are coming, all I can say is:

giphy.gif

HarryKS

How's it a stretch? All Xbox hardware comes with a GamePass trial because MS wants people on the services more than buying games. Halo Infinite is a MS first party title, meaning it'll be on GamePass Day 1. Everyone who buys a XSX can then play Halo Infinite right out of the box.
How long do they keep the game with the trial?

oldergamer

There's still more unannounced titles in the works the same goes for Microsoft. Pretty sure Sony will have more events in the future and they will announce even more games at them. I'm pretty sure we will see games at the events before the PS5s launch but I'm not sure of it will be anything new. Maybe a trailer or teaser of some new titles but I'm not expecting them to be launch titles. There's always a possibility that Sony has a surprise launch title but I doubt it.

I still stand by my belief that we don't have all the details on both companies launch lineups.
I think you are wrong on this. Sony announced all they had for launch. Holding out hope for more, is just wishful thinking at this point. Seriously youve been going on for days saying we dont know all of the sony launch lineup, when in fact we do.

Or is this because we havent seen all the xbox exclusive titles and you want more to counter whats announced?

I think you are wrong on this. Sony announced all they had for launch. Holding out hope for more, is just wishful thinking at this point. Seriously youve been going on for days saying we dont know all of the sony launch lineup, when in fact we do.

Or is this because we havent seen all the xbox exclusive titles and you want more to counter whats announced?

Not really they will have more events where they will give us solid information on what's going to be available at launch. There's still alot of unanswered questions about the system.

Larvana

I think Phil comes off as a nice guy, and have nothing against Xbox or those who enjoy their titles and such, but as someone who loved the PS5 reveal and has like already over ten titles I'm interested in plus Sony has said more title reveals are coming, all I can say is:

giphy.gif
Lol. With that logic you might aswell say Microsoft has more to announce, people need to stop thinking "sony have another ace up in their sleeve" you're really not going to get anymore than you've already seen.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
People really need to stop with this "weak console" narrative. PS5 isn't in any way weak nor does it matter for sales or talking points. These graphical differences are getting less and less. Try as hard as you might say otherwise.

Sony could talk big about their first party games compared to MS yet they don't. The let the games do the talking for themselves. Anything else is a waist of time which MS seems to love doing.

They can also talk big about how their ecosystem makes more money than all of MS and Nintendo combined.

Sony doesn't try and prove anything i've notice. They just leave it up to reality.
Who are your responding to? I missed the PS5 is weak comments.

Lol. With that logic you might aswell say Microsoft has more to announce, people need to stop thinking "sony have another ace up in their sleeve" you're really not going to get anymore than you've already seen.

With Sony saying they have other events I'm pretty sure we will see more. It's not like they will have an event to just announce the systems price and release dates.

Well, if i was him i would feel pretty good after watching the ps5 reveal too. Sonys biggest advantage was the ssd and i/o and they showed one game using it. One out of some 24 games.

Phil can just show up with better looking trailers and win. He probably doesn't even have to show gameplay because he can say hey Sony didn't show it either and my games look better.

That said, this man talks a lot. He's been talking and talking for years now and has yet to show a game in action. Just stfu and show the games. July is around the corner and we don't know when to expect the conference. He better have some truly next gen games with amazing gameplay demos showing destruction, a.i enhancements and naughty dog quality storytelling after all this shit talking.

The likelihood of Phil showing up with better looking trailers is extremely low. There's a possibility that Phil will show up with impressive trailers in their own right, and may be more shocking just because they are things we haven't seen in ages (Perfect Dark, Fable). But I do not expect them to look technically better than Horizon 2, Ratchet, Demons Souls, or Spider-Man. If they go with a fully cinematic BS trailer like Hellblade 2, maybe, but Hellblade 2 does not impress me because it's not representative of what you'll play.

And you're right. Phil talks all the time. Every single E3 is basically "the biggest Xbox games showcase in history", and that tag line is annoying because it's rarely accurate where it counts.

His recent responses seem pretty salty for whatever reason.

Kerotan

Oh Phil. Always talking.
More powerful hardware doesnt count for shit. Ask Nintendo and Sony.

Phil talked before Xbox One X launch and the Pro still mopped the floor with it. Xbox has always been all talk over the years.
Its stark difference to Sony. They only talk when they need to.

Keen to see what they have but seriously they just need to Stfu and show us the receipts.
It's funny how people forget the XBX being much stronger then the pro did Jack shit.
...and yet the vast majority of comments in this thread are from triggered Sony fans.

So the "winners" are triggered by a "loser", rival CEO, when he's confident in his plastic box that has confirmed superior specs.
Oh I'm triggered by him alright. He's a media mouthpiece, I'm glad Sony are taking the let their games do the talking this gen approach. You don't hear constant yapping out of them the last few years.

I mean, they do have hardware advantages. That much is obvious. Mainly in the CPU and GPU area, the latter probably by some amounts bigger than most are thinking due to customizations that haven't been divulged yet. At the same time, we know PS5 has some advantages too, mainly in the SSD I/O department, if we're talking about raw performance metrics in these areas.

Yeah, they have the smallest hardware advantage in the history of console releases for CPU/GPU, and are at a fairly significant disadvantage when it comes to their memory solution.

And where is your evidence of these game changing customizations? I've seen more from Sony than I have MS, which will only narrow the smallest gap ever.

The paper spec war is meaningless at this point.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Not really they will have more events where they will give us solid information on what's going to be available at launch. There's still alot of unanswered questions about the system.
There you go again? When are these fantasy made up events happening? Fact is there's no added shows announced, and we have no reason to expect more before launch. We will see footage of games they announced but thats it until next year ( like with every console launch)

Gamernyc78

Banned

Lol you my friend do not know Sony than. Sony doesn't even need another ace up their sleeve as the first party games thy showed were ace but it's factual thy have more not even that far away. New God of War is one of them and whatever else Balrog is working on. Day before the presentation ppl were tweeting tht presentation day was going to be a big day from him but then we got nothing. He wasnt the only dev tht didn't show something. Sony just has too big of an arsenal. Things are constantly coming from them. Quality too so yeah thy get the benefit of the doubt. They walk tht walk.

Last edited:
Yeah, they have the smallest hardware advantage in the history of console releases for CPU/GPU, and are at a fairly significant disadvantage when it comes to their memory solution.

And where is your evidence of these game changing customizations? I've seen more from Sony than I have MS, which will only narrow the smallest gap ever.

Chill out, warrior. What do you mean by "memory solution"? If you mean GDDR6 you're dead wrong: an extra 112 GB/s max bandwidth throughput for graphical tasks goes a long way. Or do you mean the SSD? Usually we call that SSD or storage, not memory; it's a type of memory but in the context of console discussion shorthanding it to storage is almost always done. And in that department I think some PS fanboys are going to be disappointed when XSX games offer I/O throughput very competitive with Sony's stuff despite the paper specs; it's pretty reasonable to figure XvA will punch above its weight. If not actually 1:1 equaling (let alone surpassing) what Sony provides in that department, then pretty close to it. And that'd be a win for 3rd-party devs and gamers as a whole.

MS haven't divulged all of their system architecture features yet, that's what the Hot Chips presentation is for in August. But if you follow what they've already mentioned and do some educated speculation, it's not hard to figure where their possible customizations are. RT being one, the ARM co-processors mentioned by the AMD engineer's LInkedIn profile (likely to extend executeIndirect features to provide greater degree of GPU autonomy) being another. Sony's only mentioned cache scrubbers; in regards to both the speculation is that they've both made a lot of customizations to the general RDNA2 features for their systems and have both influenced both some RDNA2 and even RDNA3 features.

You say the paper spec war is meaningless, yet cling to the paper specs for the SSD I/O between the two systems. Contradiction.

Last edited:
When are these fantasy made up events happening? Fact is there's no added shows announced, and we have no reason to expect more before launch.

"Sony reiterated that more events are planned between now and the PS5 launch this fall, including when it'll discuss pricing, launch date and other details. Ryan declined to discuss the future of Sony's PlayStation VR virtual reality headset, its PlayStation Now streaming service, and whether Sony would offer a disc trade-in program for people who buy the all-digital PS5, saying more details will be revealed at later events."

Can you please stop being disrespectful? I don't remember insulting you at any point.

SleepDoctor

Banned

Meaningless cuz Sony lost the power conversation right? Lol

You guys been in the spec thread way too long telling fairytales

Meaningless cuz Sony lost the power conversation right? Lol

You guys been in the spec thread way too long telling fairytales

It's pretty ridiculous. You probably wouldn't be able to tell from the tone of my previous post ITT but I'm a Sony fan, too. I just hate seeing staunch Sony fans feel the only way they can show support for Sony or PS is by ragging on MS and Xbox all the time.

There's no need to feel showing support for one system by attacking the other. I'll never understand that mentality.

Chill out, warrior. What do you mean by "memory solution"? If you mean GDDR6 you're dead wrong: an extra 112 GB/s max bandwidth throughput for graphical tasks goes a long way. Or do you mean the SSD? Usually we call that SSD or storage, not memory; it's a type of memory but in the context of console discussion shorthanding it to storage is almost always done. And in that department I think some PS fanboys are going to be disappointed when XSX games offer I/O throughput very competitive with Sony's stuff despite the paper specs; it's pretty reasonable to figure XvA will punch above its weight. If not actually 1:1 equaling (let alone surpassing) what Sony provides in that department, then pretty close to it. And that'd be a win for 3rd-party devs and gamers as a whole.

MS haven't divulged all of their system architecture features yet, that's what the Hot Chips presentation is for in August. But if you follow what they've already mentioned and do some educated speculation, it's not hard to figure where their possible customizations are. RT being one, the ARM co-processors mentioned by the AMD engineer's LInkedIn profile (likely to extend executeIndirect features to provide greater degree of GPU autonomy) being another. Sony's only mentioned cache scrubbers; in regards to both the speculation is that they've both made a lot of customizations to the general RDNA2 features for their systems and have both influenced both some RDNA2 and even RDNA3 features.

You say the paper spec war is meaningless, yet cling to the paper specs for the SSD I/O between the two systems. Contradiction.

Woah, settle down there warrior.

Memory solution is the entire I/O chain of the console. The SSD is 120% faster. The GPU has cache scrubbers. There is not a split pool of fast/slow RAM like on the XSX. Where is the evidence that the RT solution is anything different than bog standard RDNA2?

Bottom line is both systems have pros/cons, but the level of graphical compute is so minor that it will not even show up in a meaningful way in any analysis. Why are you trying to push the narrative that this is not the case other than for console war BS?

Like, anyone choosing one console over another solely based on power is completely batshit.

Last edited:
It's pretty ridiculous. You probably wouldn't be able to tell from the tone of my previous post ITT but I'm a Sony fan, too. I just hate seeing staunch Sony fans feel the only way they can show support for Sony or PS is by ragging on MS and Xbox all the time.

There's no need to feel showing support for one system by attacking the other. I'll never understand that mentality.

How is saying that the compute difference isn't significant somehow RAGGING on MS?

Please, settle down warrior. You're fabricating comments that do not exist

oldergamer

How can you say they have the smallest advantage of any console generation and then turn around and say the paper spec war is meaningless?? Clear contradiction since you based the first statement on paper specs.

What evidence of game changing advancements have you seen from sony? I mean were we watching the same game reveals? MS wasn't the company claiming revolutionary game changes. They claimed the hardware is the biggest leap from 16 to 32bit, but not revolutionary game changes. That is what sony claimed and failed to show "next gen" in a meaningful way.

There are more features to these gpus that ms has gone into some detail on, and sony has been silent. Imo i think its because ms added more custom tech to the gpu then sony. You can talk about the io difference but again its likely not as big a difference as it shows on paper, that is, if paper specs are meaningless like you say.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
How can you say they have the smallest advantage of any console generation and then turn around and say the paper spec war is meaningless?? Clear contradiction since you based the first statement on paper specs.

What evidence of game changing advancements have you seen from sony? I mean were we watching the same game reveals? MS wasn't the company claiming revolutionary game changes. They claimed the hardware is the biggest leap from 16 to 32bit, but not revolutionary game changes. That is what sony claimed and failed to show "next gen" in a meaningful way.

There are more features to these gpus that ms has gone into some detail on, and sony has been silent. Imo i think its because ms added more custom tech to the gpu then sony. You can talk about the io difference but again its likely not as big a difference as it shows on paper, that is, if paper specs are meaningless like you say.

Everyone coming out of the spec thread is a software engineer now. Didn't you know? Lol

So many warriors triggered but came itt just to let us know how they "don't care" 🤣🤣🤣

How is saying that the compute difference isn't significant somehow RAGGING on MS?

Please, settle down warrior. You're fabricating comments that do not exist

It's the tone plus the fact you belittle that difference yet run to the paper specs for the SSD I/O difference. Who in the thread was even implying there would be some massive difference in the overall GPU dept for you to feel need in addressing that in the first place?

In things like RT, there could be a notable difference as MS have added some hardware to the system tuned to that (outside of whatever is there as the baseline in the general RDNA2 spec AMD's got going), but in overall compute no 12.147 and 10.275 stay 12.147 and 10.275.

Memory solution is the entire I/O chain of the console. The SSD is 120% faster. The GPU has cache scrubbers. There is not a split pool of fast/slow RAM like on the XSX. Where is the evidence that the RT solution is anything different than bog standard RDNA2?

120% faster; is it more efficient? That's up for debate. Knowing what we know we can say it is in some areas, but it may not be in others. In any case MS seem more focused on a streamlined efficiency approach with their SSD I/O that should also be scalable across different devices since a lot of that work will be going forward to PC as well.

Cache scrubbers? You don't necessarily need cache scrubbers to have an efficient GPU design. It's basically a perk, and in Sony's case it may've been required due to the super-fast clock speeds. Think of them as a wiper to clean the gutter if certain lanes are getting too congested since they may have harder time keeping up with the speed limit (the GPU clock).

There is no split pool in XSX the way you guys keeps implying. When most people speak of split memory pools, they mean physically separate pools. Either like on PC (system RAM for CPU, VRAM for GPU, where shadow copying of asset data from RAM to VRAM is required), older consoles (ESRAM/DDR3 in XBO, PS3's 2x 256 MB pools of RAM for the CPU and GPU respectively), or even OLDER consoles (SNES, MegaDrive, Saturn, Jaguar etc. where each system component like CPU, sprite processor, GPU, blitter, audio, CD drive etc. had their own small blocks of RAM, usually of many different memory types).

The "split" pool in XSX isn't anywhere on the level of complication as even the XBO's or PS3's, let alone older game consoles. There's no shadow copying of data between the fast and slow pools, for starters. So calling it a split memory pool should probably come with a clarification.

Last edited:

Saying that there's a small difference and then saying it's meaningless isn't a contradiction. Explain how that's contradictory?

The Ratchet SSD demo is "game changing". Literally not possible on last-gen.

It's the tone plus the fact you belittle that difference yet run to the paper specs for the SSD I/O difference. Who in the thread was even implying there would be some massive difference in the overall GPU dept for you to feel need in addressing that in the first place?

In things like RT, there could be a notable difference as MS have added some hardware to the system tuned to that (outside of whatever is there as the baseline in the general RDNA2 spec AMD's got going), but in overall compute no 12.147 and 10.275 stay 12.147 and 10.275.

The paper specs of the SSD are far larger than any other single factor between these two consoles. That's a fact.

I was replying to a post you made where you where you did appear to suggest a big hardware difference. I'm not buying any major RT difference other than what the compute numbers would suggest,

oldergamer

Woah, settle down there warrior.

Bottom line is both systems have pros/cons, but the level of graphical compute is so minor that it will not even show up in a meaningful way in any analysis. Why are you trying to push the narrative that this is not the case other than for console war BS?

Like, anyone choosing one console over another solely based on power is completely batshit.
i think you are acting more like a console warrior then he is.

Do you need more evidence then ms saying they added custom hardware to perform the expensive setup step before the shaders are used for raytraycing? Also xbox has more cu's that would also bear a smaller processing load compared to ps5 due to other gpu additions.

GodofWhimsy

But can it play Horizon: The Forbidden West?

I hope they don't announce a new Viva Piñata or Fable. I don't wanna have to buy two new consoles.

Do you need more evidence then ms saying they added custom hardware to perform the expensive setup step before the shaders are used for raytraycing? Also xbox has more cu's that would also bear a smaller processing load compared to ps5 due to other gpu additions.

Sony added custom hardware. Microsoft added custom hardware. I'm not discounting it, but it's not going to make one console dramatically better than the other from Base RDNA2. The number of CUs by itself isn't relevant. It's the CUs and clockspeeds that matter.

Last edited:

Yep, they did explicitly mention this a while back. It's where the "25 TF" stuff was coming from which even I thought was ridiculous to frame it in that context, but the fact MS have said the RT gives them concurrent performance in addition with the general shaders simultaneously, indicates they most likely have added some additional hardware in the RT pipeline.

Probably less known is if any of that is also tied to ML; at the moment I'd probably say no, as that'd require Tensor core equivalents and I remember reading somewhere stating there weren't any Tensor core equivalents in RDNA2...but then again, that could've just been referring to literal Tensor cores in RDNA2 and/or just general RDNA2 GPUs. And we already know both of these systems are not standard RDNA2 platforms.

GodofWhimsy

Have you not been paying attention to the other threads? Fable is all but officially confirmed lol.

If it is announced I hope they go down the route of a traditional single-player RPG and not what Legends was going to be. Add a throwaway co-op mode if they want, previous Fables did that anyway. Just let me have another in-depth, single-player, story-heavy campaign in my dang Fable title.

oldergamer

Saying that there's a small difference and then saying it's meaningless isn't a contradiction. Explain how that's contradictory?

No, but saying paper specs are meaningless while pointing out that "The SSD is 120% faster" in a earlier post, which is a paper spec and a clear contradiction. You basically use paper specs when its in the advantage of ps5 and not xbox. Thats what console warriors do.

The Ratchet SSD demo is "game changing". Literally not possible on last-gen.
Fast loading is something both consoles are capable of.

The paper specs of the SSD are far larger than any other single factor between these two consoles. That's a fact.
So now you want to use paper specs when you feel its an advantage again. Well first sonys ssd specs are peak sequential read/write and not sustained like what ms has stated. Peak on the xbox ssd is likely higher then what they reported, but im sure that doesn't matter for a paper spec battle.

I was replying to a post you made where you where you did appear to suggest a big hardware difference. I'm not buying any major RT difference other than what the compute numbers would suggest,

There is some pretty big differences if you choose to believe what ms has described vrs what you WANT to believe. Jeeze... you cant make up your mind if you are going by paper specs or your console warrior beliefs.

SleepDoctor

Banned
If it is announced I hope they go down the route of a traditional single-player RPG and not what Legends was going to be. Add a throwaway co-op mode if they want, previous Fables did that anyway. Just let me have another in-depth, single-player, story-heavy campaign in my dang Fable title.

Oh it's an rpg. That's been the rumor. Legends was trash but funny enough that idea has came out with other games.

I just hope it keeps it art style and humor.

No, but saying paper specs are meaningless while pointing out that "The SSD is 120% faster" in a earlier post, which is a paper spec and a clear contradiction. You basically use paper specs when its in the advantage of ps5 and not xbox. Thats what console warriors do.

Fast loading is something both consoles are capable of.

So now you want to use paper specs when you feel its an advantage again. Well first sonys ssd specs are peak sequential read/write and not sustained like what ms has stated. Peak on the xbox ssd is likely higher then what they reported, but im sure that doesn't matter for a paper spec battle.

There is some pretty big differences if you choose to believe what ms has described vrs what you WANT to believe. Jeeze... you cant make up your mind if you are going by paper specs or your console warrior beliefs.

I was pointing out the 120% faster SSD because it's the biggest difference between the two consoles. We can argue all we want about how important that is, but it puts things in perspective when we are arguing about a much smaller difference for the GPU.

And I was using it to point out that one console is not universally better than the other. There are pros and cons to each. It sounds like you read far too much into that comment. And yes, faster loading is something both consoles are capable of, and Sony is capable of faster loading than Microsoft.

Sony has VRS. It's part of the Geometry Engine. It's not exclusive to the XSX. You sound pretty salty about paper specs when I don't read too much into them at the difference we are discussing here.

So funny how some xbox fanatics can so quickly dismiss a 3.00X difference in power between Lockhart and XSX, yet somehow make some massive deal out of a .18X difference between PS5 and XSX in one single factor. Especially given how this previous gen saw mostly 40+% gaps. This one will be less than half of that.

oldergamer

What about the paper spec for the cu's. People are claiming theres a small advantage for xbox but 3328 shaders allocated to 52 compute units is around 1000 more shaders then ps5. Not only that but shaders can communicate with each other which is a custom feature listed in patents. So on paper it looks like a small difference but in real world its likely much bigger performance wise.

What about the paper spec for the cu's. People are claiming theres a small advantage for xbox but 3328 shaders allocated to 52 compute units is around 1000 more shaders then ps5. Not only that but shaders can communicate with each other which is a custom feature listed in patents. So on paper it looks like a small difference but in real world its likely much bigger performance wise.

CUs operate on clocks. The faster the clocks the more performance you get out of the CUs.

We know the difference of the GPUs, it's based on CUs x Clocks and it comes out to be 18% for compute. The CU number by itself isn't all that relevant unless you know the clocks.

oldergamer

I was pointing out the 120% faster SSD because it's the biggest difference between the two consoles. We can argue all we want about how important that is, but it puts things in perspective when we are arguing about a much smaller difference for the GPU.

And I was using it to point out that one console is not universally better than the other. There are pros and cons to each. It sounds like you read far too much into that comment. And yes, faster loading is something both consoles are capable of, and Sony is capable of faster loading than Microsoft.

Sony has VRS. It's part of the Geometry Engine. It's not exclusive to the XSX. You sound pretty salty about paper specs when I don't read too much into them at the difference we are discussing here.

So funny how some xbox fanatics can so quickly dismiss a 3.00X difference in power between Lockhart and XSX, yet somehow make some massive deal out of a .18X difference between PS5 and XSX in one single factor. Especially given how this previous gen saw mostly 40+% gaps. This one will be less than half of that.

Whatever. I wasnt talking about variable rate shading when i mentioned vrs=versus. but anything shading wise would have a pretty big advantage on xbox as it has almost a third more shaders. Anyway, paper specs are meaningless as all that matters is real world performance and i think xbox is more setup for better real world performance without overclocking, or the hardware getting bottlenecked in other places

oldergamer

CUs operate on clocks. The faster the clocks the more performance you get out of the CUs.

We know the difference of the GPUs, it's based on CUs x Clocks and it comes out to be 18% for compute. The CU number by itself isn't all that relevant unless you know the clocks.
Its more then that. Xbox gpu can serialize shaders which is something that can provide improvements that cant be made up with overclocking

REE Machine

Banned
If things were no different than 2013, I'd agree. To pretend nothing has changed since that time is willful ignorance.
Nothing has changed in regards to triple A bangers, they havent announced a new triple A ip since 2015, and the last timr they had a hit....i cant even remember.
Same goes for the xbox x all the power but bum ass games for it.
hopefully that changes with the series X

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Nothing has changed in regards to triple A bangers, they havent announced a new triple A ip since 2015, and the last timr they had a hit....i cant even remember.

You know shit is bad when ppl were hyping up "Battle Toads" as the next coming of christ 😂😂😂 tht shit had me dying.

SleepDoctor

Banned

Could have sworn Gears just released a couple months ago lol. You and your cheerleader should stick to the spec thread.

Top Bottom