• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: MS will spend money on marketing and developing Rise of the Tomb Raider

The whole argument about MS could be using that money to fund other games is a huge burning strawman. There is no way to prove that would be case or that they couldn't fund all the new games they want AND fund exclusive games/content.

... then why aren't they building more IPs?

Right now they have 5 internal studios working on 5 AAA games: Halo, Forza, Gears, Spark, Fable. That's it. They have 12-15 studios working on nothing but Kinect and Mobile...

If they have had wanted a good action game so bad (what Spencer is claiming) ... why haven't they been trying to build one for the last 13 years...?

JaggedSac

I've tried everything, it really feels like I'm exhausted to the end of my rope and yet still can't sleep. It's like I'm trapped in my mind or something, it's an awful feeling. I popped a sleeping pill and everything earlier and if anything it made me more awake. For the past month and a half I've been barely sleeping for like half of every week now, basically I just keep staying awake until I collapse and sleep for 14 hours. It's the worst. The worst.

I feel like total shit right now and my doctor is off on Sunday :(

Damn dude. Hope you get that shit worked out.

Amir0x

Banned
i just wanted to come back and say I'm ok guys. They gave me medication that put me to sleep in the ER for like five hours, and then they wrote me a script for a new medication to try to fight my depression and help me sleep. I don't think I'm depressed but they want to try it anyway, so, doctor's orders.

sorry for making you guys worry

i just wanted to come back and say I'm ok guys. They gave me medication that put me to sleep in the ER for like five hours, and then they wrote me a script for a new medication to try to fight my depression and help me sleep. I don't think I'm depressed but they want to try it anyway, so, doctor's orders.

Yay!!!!

Ok go to bed.

Nice. That's a good thing. Everything worked out okay :)

I feel a bit revitalized believe it or not just from that five hours, but I intend to return to sleep as soon as I finish my laundry for work tomorrow. I bet my bed is going to feel like so many floating clouds...

But some of those clouds will feel like beanbags because they are full of hail.

TeRey09

... then why aren't they building more IPs?

Right now they have 5 internal studios working on 5 AAA games: Halo, Forza, Gears, Spark, Fable. That's it. They have 12-15 studios working on nothing but Kinect and Mobile...

If they have had wanted a good action game so bad (what Spencer is claiming) ... why haven't they been trying to build one for the last 13 years...?

Takes time to build new IPs and we have no idea what they have coming up. What 12-15 studios?

I've tried everything, it really feels like I'm exhausted to the end of my rope and yet still can't sleep. It's like I'm trapped in my mind or something, it's an awful feeling. I popped a sleeping pill and everything earlier and if anything it made me more awake. For the past month and a half I've been barely sleeping for like half of every week now, basically I just keep staying awake until I collapse and sleep for 14 hours. It's the worst. The worst.

I feel like total shit right now and my doctor is off on Sunday :(

I have been living this for the last decade or so, so do not worry too much. It's not healthy, that's for sure, but I would not get alarmed (still, check with the doctor). Once, I stayed awake for more than four days before I finally decided to consult a doctor. Sleep inducing drugs were on my diet for the next month or so...I had never felt such a joy that I had the next morning after after I woke up. Yep, that was how much my sleep pattern was fucked up.
No coffee or stimulant (tea, coke, juice...); stop using your PC at least a couple of hours before going to bed. Have long walks in the morning/evening, just to tire yourself up and get used to reading at night. Good luck!

Takes time to build new IPs and we have no idea what they have coming up. What 12-15 studios?

It takes 13+ years to come up with a decent action game?

There's also no word that any of the other studios are working on actual games, all are listed as currently working on kinect or mobile.

It's very odd to give medication in your situation. Since you can't sleep, suffer from anxiety, and also have MDD. A lot of the medications you are going to receive for one condition are directly contraindicated in the other symptoms you present.

I'd imagine the put you on some sort of benzo or barbituate. Any kind of serotonin retupake inhibitor. What did they perscribe you? You should really focus on trying to treat one of your conditions naturally to the best you can. Suffering from both anxiety and depression is a challenge from a clinical prospective. On one hand you need a downer, on the other you need an upper. Talk to your doctor about how best to manage your multiple conditions without the need to over medicate. These drugs are also tough on your liver. So, you might as well eliminate alcohol now and stop drinking.

Btw, stop drinking soda, coffee, energy drinks, and cut back on sugar. Also, if you do meth / cocaine/ and take any form of amphetimines even if it's for ADHD, you need to cut back / stop. Also stop posting on NEOGAF at night, this place can be stressful since people can piss you off.

Best of luck.

PS: You should also cut back on heavy meats and sodium. They cause hypertension which also makes it more difficult to sleep. It may also be the reason for your headaches. I just finished med school btw, so hope this helps and get well.

Did we ever get more confirmation that MS is helping development itself on the title besides the quip in the Kotaku UK article?

Sorry if it's been posted/discussed but I haven't followed the thread in full

wapplew

Did we ever get more confirmation that MS is helping development itself on the title besides the quip in the Kotaku UK article?

Sorry if it's been posted/discussed but I haven't followed the thread in full

Sure there are! They created direct X, if you use windows and direct X to develope games, MS is helping.
I bet they are helping Nintendo and Sony first party too.

p3tran

Banned
I don't think it has increased much. DLC is optional. But if you think it has increased a lot, then that just goes to prove my point.

its not really optional unless you are casual about a game. if you like the game and you want to play it good, you got all the passes, dlc type a, dlc type b, dlc type c, etc
many times going above double the retail price for the game.
and thats for a seasonal game, too. next year, you do the hoopla all again.
and this is only one aspect of it. not the only one.

and no, I do not agree that this proves your point, (this point you mean? <<This is not sustainable. Unless you want the price of gaming to increase. >> )
because this monetization happens because they see they can pull it anyway, not because microsoft had to spend some of their money to secure tomb raider or something.

Top Bottom