• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Nintendo and Sony are not going to do anything that damages gaming in the long run.

Guilty_AI

The only one pretending is phil. Got beat repeatedly so he used Microsoft money to try a different game and he’s already so afraid of playing against those giants he’s trying to get ahead of it with fairy tales.
Oh sure, the evil evil Phil, reincarnation of satan himself. Extinguisher of disks, destroyer of home consoles, with his wicked tools of annihilation Xcloud and gamepass.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So we all should pretend Sony is the good kid in class instead?

So you think it's that what i'm saying? Again...people whine on Sony for doing this for 30 years, but ignore the fact that MS did exact the same shit in the 360 era with BUTTLOAD of timed exclusives and exclusive DLC.

But you just keep your
in the ground and ignore it. It's fun how people blame Sony that MS couldn't compete anymore with PS....

If you need to go back in time to blame Sony for everything, then your only showing insecurity.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So you think it's that what i'm saying? Again...people whine on Sony for doing this for 30 years, but ignore the fact that MS did exact the same shit in the 360 era with BUTTLOAD of timed exclusives and exclusive DLC.

But you just keep your
in the ground and ignore it. It's fun how people blame Sony that MS couldn't compete anymore with PS....

If you need to go back in time to blame Sony for everything, then your only showing insecurity.
Whats really fun is how you keep complaining about others 'whining' about sony, yet keeps whining on and on about MS.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

But you just keep your

I’m betting even with this acquisition, the needle won’t be moved that much. CoD will just be filled with something else and MS will keep wondering what went wrong.

Guilty_AI

Because the xbox fanboys started this new narrative to blame Sony now for everything.
Except these fanboys are in your head. No one is "blaming" sony, just pointing out they've been doing these kinds of moves for longer than MS, so it makes no sense to start screaming "MICROSOFT BAD!" then turn around and put Sony in a pedestal, or downplay the kind of things they've done in the past using their multi-business warchest.

They quite literally killed the Sega Saturn by using their megacorp money power to sell PlayStations at a huge loss for example, potentially contributing to Sega's consoles ultimate demise.

Last edited:

anothertech

I think alot of people have this sinking feeling ms might be the harbinger of the end of gaming. Seriously. Their track record isn't the greatest.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Except these fanboys are in your head. No one is "blaming" sony, just pointing out they've been doing these kinds of moves for longer than MS, so it makes no sense to start screaming "MICROSOFT BAD!" then turn around and put Sony in a pedestal, or downplay the kind of things they've done in the past using their multi-business warchest.

They quite literally killed the Sega Saturn by using their megacorp money power to sell PlayStations at a huge loss for example, potentially contributing to Sega's consoles ultimate demise.

Here you are doing exactly what i was talking about. All these major companies used their money, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft. But people whining about these timed exclusives and dlc, something xbox has started, but completely ignore that. In fact, Xbox is still doing these big timed exclusives for the current console.

Guilty_AI

Here you are doing exactly what i was talking about. All these major companies used their money, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft. But people whining about these timed exclusives and dlc, something xbox has started, but completely ignore that. In fact, Xbox is still doing these big timed exclusives for the current console.
Except xbox didn't start this, which is what i've been saying from the very beginning. Sony has been doing these kinda of deals on a large scale for much longer: Resident Evil, Destruction Derby, the entire old GTA trilogy, along some others (even wenting on to buy some of these studios). Nintendo did it for SF2 even before that.

Then you went on to complain about how i was "going back in history", but isn't that exactly what you're doing by bringing up "who started it" and the 360? Or should everything that happened before the ps360 era be considered null and void for some reason?

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

SSfox

The only one pretending is phil. Got beat repeatedly so he used Microsoft money to try a different game and he’s already so afraid of playing against those giants he’s trying to get ahead of it with fairy tales.

Ah, so phil lost his killer instinct. Got it. That makes sense. You need that to avoid being outmaneuvered.

Season 17 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

KI IP is still owned by MS, but yeah it's shame they lost double helix, they were doing a great job with the franchise even just with small budget.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Except xbox didn't start this, which is what i've been saying from the very beginning. Sony has been doing these kinda of deals on a large scale for much longer: Resident Evil, Destruction Derby, the entire old GTA trilogy, along some others (even wenting on to buy some of these studios). Nintendo did it for SF2 even before that.

Then you went on to complain about how i was "going back in history", but isn't that exactly what you're doing by bringing up "who started it" and the 360? Or should everything that happened before the ps360 era be considered null and void for some reason?

I didn’t know dlc existed at that time? Well I’m telling you that xbox fans started this completely new narrative to go back in history and only to justify these publisher acquisitions, but at the same time still whining about a single game or some studios, xbox had never a game from or times exclusives from PS5, while xbox is still doing that at the moment.

It was a different story if Xbox didn’t do these things.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I disagree, Microsoft has been through a lot in regards to gaming, they have 3 gens of experience and have been through to much ups and downs. They have a lot to lose and if they stray to far there history will remind them just how fluid gaming is. Same with sony, however we are seeing recent sony get a bit arrogant and reminiscent of there older selves but nothing major.

Microsoft is not a Gaming company, it is a software and services company, they sell an OS, productivity software and cloud services. They have nothing to lose if the gaming industry goes down, they just believe that they can turn gaming into a part of their cloud and subscription services, but they have nothing to lose if the industry collapses or they kill beloved companies in the way.

Remember Nokia? One of the biggest names in the mobile market, historical. MS bought them to peddle their windows phone OS for billions, and then just let them die when their experiment proved to be too little too late. I know MS fans are jumping for joy due to console war reasons, but this isn't a good thing for gaming. MS seems intent on buying the industry and kill a big portion of the hardcore gaming market if they don't get their way.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Microsoft is not a Gaming company, it is a software and services company, they sell an OS, productivity software and cloud services. They have nothing to lose if the gaming industry goes down, they just believe that they can turn gaming into a part of their cloud and subscription services, but they have nothing to lose if the industry collapses or they kill beloved companies in the way.

Remember Nokia? One of the biggest names in the mobile market, historical. MS bought them to peddle their windows phone OS for billions, and then just let them die when their experiment proved to be too little too late. I know MS fans are jumping for joy due to console war reasons, but this isn't a good thing for gaming. MS seems intent on buying the industry and kill a big portion of the hardcore gaming market if they don't get their way.

Microsoft is as much of a "gaming" company as sony is.

Azurro

Banned
Microsoft is as much of a "gaming" company as sony is.

What kind of criteria are you using? You are wrong in any case, as a metric for that doesn't exist. For MS, gaming is not a significant part of their business, while for Sony Playstation is a vital part of the company. You are just disagreeing because you like to fight console wars for your favourite green box, I am worried for the industry because MS tends to fuck things up. They buy a few major players in a market to peddle their plans, to then leave and kill those companies and IP on their way out because their attempt to dominate that market didn't work out.

It's not a healthy situation for gaming. Look at cinema, there are only like 5 companies in the space, and of those, Disney gets like 70% of the profits in that space. That's not a healthy model imo.

But hey, you know, it's cool because you can point at people with the other box and do a Nelson "haha!"

Last edited:

FrankWza

Oh sure, the evil evil Phil, reincarnation of satan himself. Extinguisher of disks, destroyer of home consoles, with his wicked tools of annihilation Xcloud and gamepass.
You’re giving him too much credit.
It’s not moving goalposts because you’re talking about to entirely different leagues.
Cookie cutter reply from you while you’re trying to make this remotely close to the publisher buying scenario. Double helix and killer instinct. Oh boy.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It’s not moving goalposts because you’re talking about to entirely different leagues.
Cookie cutter reply from you while you’re trying to make this remotely close to the publisher buying scenario. Double helix and killer instinct. Oh boy.
Because it clarifies there overall approach and intent to these buy outs.
Cookie cutter reply from you
Back to namecalling people when you are tired arguing with digital avatars on the internet? Weird coming from someone who just repeats whatever fan theory he can come up with over and over till people decide not to take your bait anymore, so you can feel self validated about your choices.

FrankWza

Because it clarifies there overall approach and intent to these buy outs.
No, it doesn’t. It’s one example of buying out experienced devs. It’s happens all the time. 70 billion dollar buyouts don’t. There are hundreds of companies that could do and have done what Amazon did. And, they didn’t take the IP with them.
Back to namecalling people when you are tired arguing with digital avatars on the internet?
How is that name calling? It’s your response and that goal post excuse that gets thrown around. It’s a crutch that people use and it’s used way too often.
Weird coming from someone who just repeats whatever fan theory he can come up with over and over till people decide not to take your bait anymore, so you can feel self validated about your choices.
And yet, here you are. And the entire thread is based on spencer theorizing. Why? To validate HIS actions and make others appear like they’re bad. But he baited you. Hook line and sinker.

Bernkastel

No, it doesn’t. It’s one example of buying out experienced devs. It’s happens all the time. 70 billion dollar buyouts don’t. There are hundreds of companies that could do and have done what Amazon did. And, they didn’t take the IP with them.

How is that name calling? It’s your response and that goal post excuse that gets thrown around. It’s a crutch that people use and it’s used way too often.

And yet, here you are. And the entire thread is based on spencer theorizing. Why? To validate HIS actions and make others appear like they’re bad. But he baited you. Hook line and sinker.
bait-shaking.gif

I really wonder why I should waste my time putting effort into replying to such a low effort bait.

dDoc

I wonder why Google killed its 1st party studios if game streaming is to be the next big thing.

They could afford to not only keep them open, but buy/create more.

What gives?

Three

Are we legit pretending Amazon didn't buy Double Helix and merged them into "Amazon Game Studios" which has yet to make a single game that looks like it won't die? They are the reason we don't have a new Killer Instinct. Makes even more sense why Phil would fire shots at them for killing what was going to be a second party dev like Asobo.

Phil didn't say what some people wanted him to say, so they are putting words in his mouth.
If MS were worried about Killer Instinct or losing Double Helix why didn't they buy Double Helix?

You lost KI because the game didn't sell enough for MS to care. They may bring it back but MS not developing KI has nothing to do with Amazon buying Double Helix.

If MS thought like that they would have lost Halo when Bungie left, or Gears of War when Epic went their own way. Don't invent a bogeyman taking away your games when it doesn't exist.

I wonder why Google killed its 1st party studios if game streaming is to be the next big thing.

They could afford to not only keep them open, but buy/create more.

What gives?
Because contrary to what MS is trying to pedal now about being a saviour instead of a big tech giant itself gobbling things up Google and Amazon only have a lovers fling with gaming. They are not here to gobble up the industry and are actually cancelling games and studios they had planned. I guess because they couldn't reach critical mass.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

How is MS buying two of the biggest publishers in the world different to Marvel giving Sony got the rights to develop a Spiderman game?

You really need that explained?

The difference is Sony is doing what they can afford. "Don't get it twisted."

Mister Wolf

If MS were worried about Killer Instinct or losing Double Helix why didn't they buy Double Helix?

You lost KI because the game didn't sell enough for MS to care. They may bring it back but MS not developing KI has nothing to do with Amazon buying Double Helix.

If MS thought like that they would have lost Halo when Bungie left, or Gears of War when Epic went their own way. Don't invent a bogeyman taking away your games when it doesn't exist.

Because contrary to what MS is trying to pedal now about being a saviour instead of a big tech giant itself gobbling things up Google and Amazon only have a lovers fling with gaming. They are not here to gobble up the industry and are actually cancelling games and studios they had planned. I guess because they couldn't reach critical mass.

I don't understand why Microsoft won't let Iron Galaxy do the next Killer Instinct. They are the ones that did Season 2 & 3 making the game better than its first season.

Three

I don't understand why Microsoft won't let Iron Galaxy do the next Killer Instinct. They are the ones that did Season 2 & 3 making the game better than its first season.
Because Adam Boyes is there as CEO not answering MS' calls.😂

Nah, the more likely reason is that MS currently aren't interested in pursuing the IP after lacklustre sales. With GP they might throw people a bone though.

Bernkastel

umm what? You think Microsoft does not buy smaller studios? Funny that before Bethesda everyone said "they only buy cheap AA devs". More like they couldn't buy studios before the gaming division was separated from Windows division and Phil Spencer was promoted in 2017.
Bizarre Creations - Made the PGR games, Activision bought and then closed them.
Bioware - KOTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect. Bought by EA.
Respawn - First Titanfall was console exclusive to Xbox. Bought by EA.
and countless other studios. Oh, but keep telling yourself that they didn't buy Bizarre Creations or Bioware because their games didn't sell enough.
I don't know if they can make a new Killer Instinct on their own, they were just adding new content to Season 1. They are now working on that Rumbleverse thing.
Nah, the more likely reason is that MS currently aren't interested in pursuing the IP after lacklustre sales. With GP they might throw people a bone though.

And this was before Game Pass became a thing. This was the sole reason to get Xbox One(alongside Titanfall) when it launched. They made a sequel to State of Decay which didn't sell 1 million and later bought the studio. But no, apparently they would not have made a sequel and bought Double Helix if they were still around.

Top Bottom