• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Not a fan of marketing deals with exclusive content"

MauroNL

"I don’t know what deals get written. I’ve been pretty open about, I’m not a fan of doing deals that hold back specific pieces of content from other platforms. You don’t see that in the deals we’ve done with Assassin’s and Shadow. We’ll have a marketing deal on those, but I don’t say, hey, I need some kind of Strike or skin somebody else can’t play.

I don’t think it’s good for our industry if we got into a point where people are holding back the technical innovation of game developers based on a marketing deal. I don’t know anything about what’s in other people’s deals. But this, clearly, from a technical perspective, is the most powerful console by quite a wide margin. So, when I stood on-stage and I said this will be the best place to play all those games, there’s nothing technically that would keep any developer from not making that true."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-the-big-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Part of the big Eurogamer interview. This is indeed a worrying trend IMO, at least content that is permanently locked away from other platforms.

Lucifon

Totally agreed. Locking away Destiny 2 content for at least one year is disgusting.

This is where it reaches a really ridiculous level. No doubt alot of that stuff is just on the disc too. Both nasty examples of it this year come from Activision, very telling.

Bluenoser

But paying to keep games off another platform for limited time is ok, right Phil?

Not saying the Destiny situation is ok, because it's not, but this is typical Phil speaking from both sides of his mouth.

jelly

Yeah, right. What a load of balls. You just can't get such a deal because the cost isn't worth it now. Hello Tomb Raider!

Cptkrush

I'm struggling to remember any Msoft exclusive content deals since Phil took over. I also remember that Rise of the Tomb Raider, which kind of goes against this sentiment?

People change I guess. I have to imagine they would have no trouble getting exclusive content deals if they want them.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
Rise of the Tomb Raider Phil? This is even more stupid than holding back a strike or a weapon.

The only people profiting from such deals are both companies signing the deals, not the gamers. So yea I agree this is stupid. But Phil has done stuff like that before so this statement is weird.

Oh yea totally forgot about all your (launch) exclusives Phil.

Xater

That just reads as him not being a fan because he can't get any. Seriously, he was in charge when deals like that were still going on. It's beyond ridiculous to make this claim. If MS could get the deals Sony is getting you bet your ass they would make them.

SZips

So he's okay with timed exclusives on full game releases but not timed releases on piecemeal content?

This reeks of hypocrisy.

Bessy67

I mean, I agree with him but it seems kinda hypocritical considering how many "console launch exclusives" were show at MS's conference.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
W-who wants to be the market leader anyway, baka!!

jmaine_ph

But what about paying for all those "Console Launch Exclusives" that are games that will eventually come to PS4? You cool with that? This guy man.

Strider

I agree.

And the only thing worse is entire games being timed exclusive and I wonder what platform is guilty of that...

This is where journalists illustrate their incompetence as well. Instead of following that up by illustrating instances where Microsoft instigated the very thing he's purportedly not a fan of, the journalist just moves on.

Shiggy

They are also expensive with little return, and their division seemingly doesn't have the monetary resources these days.

SJRB

Gold Member
..but keeping entire games exclusive on your console for a set amount of time is somehow totally okay, I guess.

SxP

Please, this was Xbox's bread and butter for years. And now they lost some of those deals (CoD, now also FIFA) and he's done a 180. You can't tell me some of the more recent deals (Dragon Age: Inquisition, FIFA, AC Unity, The Division) were made before Phil pulled the strings.

To say nothing about timed exclusive games, rather than just DLC, which is a big part of their current strategy.

Un4

Boohoo...
Their 30 day exclusivity deal on the DLC for The Division killed the whole game and fucked over the largest player base of the game.

Of course these kind of things are ridiculous but Microsoft is doing the exact same thing.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It is MS own doing and I really hate marketing deals period. They are a complete waste of money. I rather have my PSN plus money spent on better monthly games or better yet improvements to the network.

Sinfamy

Sony learned from the best in the industry at money hats, remember how they coasted through the last 4 years of last gen on just early Call of Duty DLC.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I mean, I agree with him but it seems kinda hypocritical considering how many "console launch exclusives" were show at MS's conference.

My thoughts exactly I'm not a fan of locking content for a specific time from another platform is almost the same sentence and is what they are doing.

Xater

This is where journalists illustrate their incompetence as well. Instead of following that up by illustrating instances where Microsoft instigated the very thing he's purportedly not a fan of, the journalist just moves on.

Yup, those are just such easy statements to go after immediately. It's the worst kind of marketing bullshit.

Top Bottom