• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Phil Spencer on check-ins "it's kilobytes, not megabytes" "Don cares about gamers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2009
We received additional information about online check-ins, as Spencer shared that tethering a mobile device can handle a license refresh. "It's kilobytes, not megabytes," he confirmed. "You can also set your console to always have the latest bits in a standby state." Later, Spencer was concrete, "If you have no ability to connect to the Internet, the Xbox One is not the console for you."
Unfortunately, Spencer also was direct that a home (or nuclear submarine) without any internet connection is not the right place for an Xbox One. We asked about Don Mattrick's statements to Geoff Keighley about that very issue."I know Don. He's been in his industry for decades," Spencer said. "He started as a game developer with his own studio. For it somehow to get twisted that Don doesn't care about gaming, as someone who knows the man, I know that is not him. He does care about the gamers."
"We've all had 360s for quite a while. If you look at what the box was capable of doing when we launched it versus what it's doing it now, we listened. We're part of the community," Spencer emphatically stated. "I'm in. I'm playing games all the time. We listen to the community and we will respond to where the business, the creators, and the gamers are going. But I don't want to people to take that wrong. Our policy is our policy, and we've stated it. We wanted to put it up [on Xbox Wire] in unambiguous terms. 'Here's what our policy is.'"
More at this link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/12/microsofts-phil-spencer-discusses-xbox-policies-pricing-and-international-launches.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.