• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on the future of Xbox: we still want to take risks with games

SynTha1

I think all companies want to do their best to part you from your hard earned money...

The other two are no different. I for one am really excited my Xbox's strategy now. I am really excited to see what they can achieve this console generation. I feel like they have already done the impossible by redeeming their image, and the "no games" argument is moot now.

As long as whatever company keeps making fun games I'll be playing them. It doesn't matter what their mouthpieces are saying.
So to you the no games argument is moot but they still haven't brought any new games in years and it will still take years for them to come if they come. You really aren't tied of hearing the same shit year in and year out like come on when is enough enough.

catvonpee

So to you the no games argument is moot but they still haven't brought any new games in years and it will still take years for them to come if they come. You really aren't tied of hearing the same shit year in and year out like come on when is enough enough.
I have more games to play than I could in my entire adult lifetime. Gamepass makes it infinitesimally worse. But I have 2 PCs, a Switch, a PS4 pro, and a Series X. I can understand what you're saying but I don't take what Phil is saying in a negative context at all.

SynTha1

I have more games to play than I could in my entire adult lifetime. Gamepass makes it infinitesimally worse. But I have 2 PCs, a Switch, a PS4 pro, and a Series X. I can understand what you're saying but I don't take what Phil is saying in a negative context at all.
I fully respect your love for the industry by supporting all companies I really do but Phill has been saying the same things for literally years so all I'm saying is when is enough enough when giving your hard earned money to a company who does the bare minimum in doing what they are supposed to do and keep running their mouths with the same shit year in and year out without producing anything worthwhile

catvonpee

And that's fine, but the statement Xbox hasn't done anything worthwhile couldn't be more wrong to me. Everything they are doing now harkens back to the 360 years. Gamepass is wildly popular. They will have tons of games to play soon enough.

I even love the Xbox series x controller and the look of the console. It's really nice. To each their own. I just prefer Xbox.

e&e

Banned
I fully respect your love for the industry by supporting all companies I really do but Phill has been saying the same things for literally years so all I'm saying is when is enough enough when giving your hard earned money to a company who does the bare minimum in doing what they are supposed to do and keep running their mouths with the same shit year in and year out without producing anything worthwhile
He’s not doing the bare minimum, the guy convinced MS to spend 7 billion dollars buying one publisher. Stop living under a rock…and use your brain.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
He’s not doing the bare minimum, the guy convinced MS to spend 7 billion dollars buying one publisher. Stop living under a rock…and use your brain.
They don't care about. The same way, they don't care how phil convinced Microsoft to buy minecraft, and made it huge (it was before, but didn't have the resources it has now).

They forget about how he gave xbox players, the ability to play their games on pc. Supported steam with their games (top10 steam charts for their games).

He made a service, other competitors couldn't do it (Sony has psnow, but they treat it as their unwanted child).

He expanded xbox studios from 5 studios to 23 studios as of now. The old managements, never gave a crap about increasing xbox first party studios. He increased them. He bought bethesda, which was going under for financial reason (fo76).

He made a cheaper console, so people can get in to the xbox ecosystem.

He made xcloud, supported the ability to play console games on your 📱. He made it so you can play xbox games on your browser.

He announced 27 games day1 (aside of starfield), from 2021 July to 2022 summer. That is hefty announced day1 on gamepass.

Yet, people here with their gold fish memory, scream at Phil for not doing anything.

If the guy hasn't been appointed as the boss, Xbox would have been dead, and you wouldn't have seen ps4 games being played on ps5. Playstation wouldn't went hard on their gaming division. Only Playstation would have been the only console to play cod, so Sony would have been greedy, and not focus on their 1st games.

Nintendo would just do Nintendo stuff.

Chukhopops

Even if you look at last gen MS pushed:
- an RTS (Halo Wars 2);
- a tactical (Gears Tactics);
- a WRPG (Wasteland 3);
- two 2D platformers (Ori séries, Cuphead);
- a 3D platformer (Luckys Tale);
- a beat them up (Battletoads);
- a Fighting game (KI);
- a story based TPS (Quantum Break);
- whatever Bleeding Edge was, some kind of MOBA;
- Telltale-style RPG (Tell me why);
- and of course tons of FPS and racers.

There’s no argument in my opinion that they have the most varied offer of first party stuff, although not all of it will be top tier every time. Not even Nintendo has this kind of range.

So I’ll put this statement in the box « Phil right hoes mad ».

How about taking a risk and making some sequels to games that deserve a 2nd chance and another go. Games like Recore, Lost Odyssey, Kameo Ect

hate? the dude gets unfairly praised. How about getting those big Japanese games he has been talking about for years.

He did bring over Phantasy Star Online, Bamco games, Elden Ring, Dragon Quest on GamePass, Yakuza on gamepass. He's getting them... except for ATLUS and the games Sony moneyhats.

ZehDon

Uh oh. Phil cronies are here upset that people (like me) call Phil a jackass (which he is).

This boring guy has more articles released than actual games.

So boring.
What a terrible take. At least contribute to the discussion, rather than a drive by... whatever the fuck-monkey this is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Xbox's breadth of genres and titles is why I'm there. Gamepass contributes to that - the sheer variety of titles on offer reminds me of the PS1 and PS2 days, where it felt like every other week some new game I'd never seen or heard of was out and it was amazing to play. That kind of eclectic game collection is why I game. I'm glad to hear Xbox is continuing that tradition. I can only play so many third person action-adventure games with open-world RPG elements before I need something else.

Last edited:

Bramble

You still want to take risk, but you really can't if you're giving it all away day one one a subscription based service where the biggest part of it's user base abused some loopholes where they managed to get subbed for years almost for free.

ZehDon

As if this is all you could find on the other platform(s)… :rolleyes:. Can’t you just praise (rightfully) Xbox without taking partisan digs at the other(s)?
In this instance, the praise for Xbox is conditional upon its competitors actions: if PlayStation or Nintendo had maintained the variety of games produced for their earlier consoles, Xbox wouldn't be receiving praise from me for doing it now, because everyone would be doing it. It would just be... normal - what everyone does. But, everyone doesn't do it - they've moved into their niches. Which is why it's worth praising Xbox for maintaining the variety of titles on their platforms.

Raekwon26

You can choose to not read like a normal ass person. Or, you know, bring your boring take..
Nah, I'll read and comment on what I like. Phil is a boring joke that has more articles talking about releasing games than actual games put out.

Same shit, different article. Phil is boring.
What a terrible take. At least contribute to the discussion, rather than a drive by... whatever the fuck-monkey this is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Xbox's breadth of genres and titles is why I'm there. Gamepass contributes to that - the sheer variety of titles on offer reminds me of the PS1 and PS2 days, where it felt like every other week some new game I'd never seen or heard of was out and it was amazing to play. That kind of eclectic game collection is why I game. I'm glad to hear Xbox is continuing that tradition. I can only play so many third person action-adventure games with open-world RPG elements before I need something else.

I don't give a damn about Gamepass. Offers me absolutely nothing. I've bought and played the majority games in the service years ago (that's the main point, YEARS AGO).

I don't need to jump from game to game everyday to make it seem like I'm getting my money's worth. They aren't offering anything that isn't available on other platforms ESPECIALLY when it comes to diverse indie titles, not even close tbh. Switch dominates that area.

So I repeat, Phil is boring and so are his cronies. Talk Talk Talk Talk. So what?

Flight Sim? Game that came out last year for the PC and is being PORTED to the Xbox and is now being treated as something new? So I guess Hades is a brand new game this year as well.

The Ascent? Hope that game has critical success and is GOTY talks because I always root for indie developers to strike gold. The more GOOD games the better. But it's a Timed Exclusive, something Phil whined about not long ago. So more talk.

Big releases for the Holiday season? Halo and Forza? AGAIN? Yeah, whatever. Hopefully those studios knock it out the park but this is more of the same.

Diverse my ass. Phil and his cronies are all talk and it's boring. But what, I'm meant to give him praise because he talks more than the other guys? Nah, boring.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Nah, I'll read and comment on what I like. Phil is a boring joke that has more articles talking about releasing games than actual games put out.

I don't give a damn about Gamepass. Offers me absolutely nothing. I've bought and played the majority games in the service years ago (that's the main point, YEARS AGO).

I don't need to jump from game to game everyday to make it seem like I'm getting my money's worth. They aren't offering anything that isn't available on other platforms ESPECIALLY when it comes to diverse indie titles, not even close tbh. Switch dominates that area.

So I repeat, Phil is boring and so are his cronies. Talk Talk Talk Talk. So what?

Flight Sim? Game that came out last year for the PC and is being PORTED to the Xbox and is now being treated as something new? So I guess Hades is a brand new game this year as well.

The Ascent? Hope that game has critical success and is GOTY talks because I always root for indie developers to strike gold. The more GOOD games the better. But it's a Timed Exclusive, something Phil whined about not long ago. So more talk.

Big releases for the Holiday season? Halo and Forza? AGAIN? Yeah, whatever. Hopefully those studios knock it out the park but this is more of the same.

Diverse my ass. Phil and his cronies are all talk and it's boring. But what, I'm meant to give him praise because he talks more than the other guys? Nah, boring.
- Start from the value proposal
- Dismiss all the value based on personal preference
- State there is no value since it has all been removed

Do you see any flaw in your reasoning somewhere?

kingfey

Banned

True gamer, who screams about 60 fps upgrade on his preferred console.

1: you dont care, because your great great Sony doesn't offer it. If it was, you will be praising it nonstop here. You scream about old games, yet you are very to pay for ghost of Tsushima ps5 upgrade.

2: You say, because Sony again doesn't offer it. If they would, you would be screaming about it here, telling people how great it is.
How do I know it, because you haven't tasted how great it is, to transition, between console, mobile, to browser to pc. You dont care about it. Again, you will have been of the roof, if sony was offering it.

3: Screams about xbox not having games, they do special timed exclusives for their customers, blames Spencer about it, and ignores ff7 remake exclusive. An indie timed exclusives is enough to make you mad, instead of a beloved franchise, which is still exclusive to Playstation for 1 and half year. Pc, let alone xbox can't play it.

4: Sony released ratchet and Clank, and he praises it nonstop, a franchise, which has a long history, of getting released again, and again. Waiting patiently for Gt7, was happy for demon souls re-skin, the same exact ps3 game, but made it prettier with small changes. Happily screams about God of war, a long running franchise. Then goes and proceeds to trash on halo, forza getting sequels, despite these games, being younger than ratchet and Clank, God of war, and GT. But hey, releasing sequels is bad right, when the other plastic releases it.

5: so in your opinion, 3rd person, story driven games, that heavily focuses on sad stories to manipulate, the users emotions is a diversity. But doing all kinda of different genre, from rpg, to shooter, to platform, to sim flight, to pirates isn't enough diversity to you.

Man your overly fanboism for that plastic is reeking all over the place.

Just say it, you hate anything xbox does. And that you don't like them.

FYI, flight simulator is getting next gen port. It was primarily a pc game, not a console game. But hey, that isn't considered agame to you. Just something something boring machine, that has no gameplay. A bad port other competition is doing. Nothing worthy about it. Yada Yada Yada.

As owner of 3 consoles, I like what 3 consoles are doing. Xbox is doing a good job finding its identity. They don't need to copy Nintendo or Sony. Hope they keep doing what they are doing. In 5 years, they will be know for rpg console, just like how people praise Sony for their single player games.

I also like how each console offers something you can't find on other console. Xbox offers Halo, Forza, and MP Co-op games. Something I can't find on Playstation. Playstation offers good story games. While I am not a fan of heavily driven games, I won't deny it, that they are the top notch when it comes to it. Their cinematic animation can make a grown man cry. Nintendo offers great value for their system. Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokémon. The most running franchise, and still successful to this point. The fact that they made, these 3 interesting for a long time, is a testimony to how great they are at producing high quality games.

Pc gaming in general is different beast. Both Sony, and Xbox will release their games on pc. The good thing about pc, is you can play long old games. Meaning, you can play xbox/Playstation 3 generation games, if they put it on pc. That is how great pc gaming is for preserving games. I can still play old battlefield games.

Hawke502

Risks ?

So where are Banjo & Kazooie, Killer Instinct, Conker ?

Even if i appreciate a lot the comeback of Perfect Dark, Xbox still needs a lot more...
Risks = ressurrecting IPs? Banjo & Kazooie would be anything but a risk by now. If you see the types of games they are willing to make, you would see they are very diverse and risky, like Grounded, and Josh Swayer has formed a small team within Obdisian just to make a game he wanted to make but couldnt before, because as independent developers they couldn't spend time on smaller projects.

Papacheeks

Banned
He did bring over Phantasy Star Online, Bamco games, Elden Ring, Dragon Quest on GamePass, Yakuza on gamepass. He's getting them... except for ATLUS and the games Sony moneyhats.

Elden ring, dragon quest, bamco, are all multiplatform. The bigger part of their Japanese push to me would be Phantasy star, and yakuza as those specifically in the states are very niche. The rest are multiplatform games. Why not try funding some?

Hawke502

Elden ring, dragon quest, bamco, are all multiplatform. The bigger part of their Japanese push to me would be Phantasy star, and yakuza as those specifically in the states are very niche. The rest are multiplatform games. Why not try funding some?
Who said he isnt trying? Its hard, but now at least big releases like yakuza arent skipping xbox

Papacheeks

Banned
Who said he isnt trying? Its hard, but now at least big releases like yakuza arent skipping xbox

Trying as in spending money just to get them on their platform shows you how far Xbox has fallen off with Japanese publishers/Developers. Hopefully owning Tango gameworks will improve their relationship with some Japanese developers.

Kumomeme

less talking and prove it with games.

sony currently indeed has issue of its own but one of things phil can 'learn' is talk less, less jab but keep deliver games. same goes with nintendo. the output matters, than empty words.

they has tons of studio. focus on them. later once it started to show fruit, then talk. by that time, his word has weight because it backed by actual result.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yes so many risks, like buying a bunch of old IPs, leaving them behind when they aren’t major hits and then buy older but bigger IPs again.

It’s such a experimental process.

kingfey

Banned
Yes so many risks, like buying a bunch of old IPs, leaving them behind when they aren’t major hits and then buy older but bigger IPs again.

It’s such a experimental process.
Lets casually ignore the said company, being in financial trouble. Do you think spending 7.5b$ is the end of the story?

Now the payroll, benefits, bonuses for the company is at the hands of Xbox. Xbox has to pay them. And the only way, they see return for these investment, is if Bethesda releases games to their system. And so far, the first of their 2 games, are going to other console. So tell me, how is that not a risk for Xbox? I mean, their first return investment is greedfall in 2022, then starfield.

e&e

Banned

This tough guy played ALL the games everybody! ALL the games!

Salt is starting to show in your sweat!

kingfey

Banned
This tough guy played ALL the games everybody! ALL the games!

Salt is starting to show in your sweat!
Those are old games. He wont touch them Just like he wont play demons souls, or the upcoming last of us remake.

I wonder, did played FF7 remake? Wasnt that old game? Same for ME remastered. Or does he play those ps+ games.

VAL0R

Banned
Me wading through this forum as I'm inundated with warm Microsoft acquisition tears, giving me life:

Raining The Shawshank Redemption GIF

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Another Phill says thread. The fact that he’s talking a lot is once again indicative that they don’t have much to show. It’s marketing, toss some interviews around make their audience knows they are around… so far we have words… lots of words.

Hawke502

Another Phill says thread. The fact that he’s talking a lot is once again indicative that they don’t have much to show. It’s marketing, toss some interviews around make their audience knows they are around… so far we have words… lots of words.
We have also announced games. Since when is giving interviews bad?

less talking and prove it with games.

sony currently indeed has issue of its own but one of things phil can 'learn' is talk less, less jab but keep deliver games. same goes with nintendo. the output matters, than empty words.

they has tons of studio. focus on them. later once it started to show fruit, then talk. by that time, his word has weight because it backed by actual result.
People always say Phil talks too much. I still don't think that is necessarily the case. He works for the largest US based gaming company which is conveniently located where most gaming journalists and media are also located. It's also the most easily accessible company when compared to Nintendo and Sony.

If someone reaches out to him - guess what - he answers their questions. Everyone on NeoGAF treats it like he is purposefully going out of his way to talk and get attention when in reality it's the media that tries to make a story about everything he says and breathes. And in turn those on NeoGAF immediately post said articles and everyone flips out again.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Just say, you have no idea how interviews are conducted. Those words already delivered 27 games day1 gamepass on e3. Something, no company have done it. Lets ignore it, and talk shit like always.

I feel sorry for you guys. You guys have unhealthy amount of obsession with this guy. Its like you guys cant shut up at all.

There is ignore button. Use that, if you dont want to know anything about him. Its that easy. You dont have to trouble yourself typing these words.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
On one hand, it's great to see Phil and Matt Booty give out regular interviews instead of hiding behind their own PR blogs like their Sony counterparts. On the other hand, I read through most of this interview before stopping because they really didnt say much of anything. The risky quote talks about how they are now investing in single player games that the author finds risky. Even though Sony has shown that these games sell better than ever, and even though MS just paid $7.5 billion for 8 studios that pretty much only make single player games.

I also think Guardian of all publications should ask some more hard hitting questions. Why are there no first party next gen only games? When can we expect these so called risky single player games? And I am talking about both Sony and Microsoft. Even Nintendo hasnt released a Zelda, Mario or Metroid game since 2017. Surely, Guardian and WaPo of all publications should be like wtf are you charging $500 for? In the last 7 years, MS has sold 3 $500 consoles. Sony is right behind with 3 $400 consoles. For what seems like simple resolution and FPS upgrades like PCs. Both Nintendo and Sony are hiding and dont even want to talk about their upcoming lineups, so I am at least glad Phil is putting himself out there.

There needs to be something in the middle between not talking at all and talking too much without saying anything.

On topic, I dont think Hellblade 2, another Fable game, another Perfect Dark game, another Gears game, another State of Decay sequel, having 343 spend 10 years supporting the same Halo game instead of developing new IPs, are all that risky.

For some reason we can't have that middle ground. I wish we could.

zaanan

Banned
Even if you look at last gen MS pushed:
- an RTS (Halo Wars 2);
- a tactical (Gears Tactics);
- a WRPG (Wasteland 3);
- two 2D platformers (Ori séries, Cuphead);
- a 3D platformer (Luckys Tale);
- a beat them up (Battletoads);
- a Fighting game (KI);
- a story based TPS (Quantum Break);
- whatever Bleeding Edge was, some kind of MOBA;
- Telltale-style RPG (Tell me why);
- and of course tons of FPS and racers.

There’s no argument in my opinion that they have the most varied offer of first party stuff

Zeroing

Banned
People always say Phil talks too much. I still don't think that is necessarily the case. He works for the largest US based gaming company which is conveniently located where most gaming journalists and media are also located. It's also the most easily accessible company when compared to Nintendo and Sony.

If someone reaches out to him - guess what - he answers their questions. Everyone on NeoGAF treats it like he is purposefully going out of his way to talk and get attention when in reality it's the media that tries to make a story about everything he says and breathes. And in turn those on NeoGAF immediately post said articles and everyone flips out again.
True but he can decline. He does not do that. I also think people are very naive thinking the boss from xbox is stalked and forced to give interviews non stop, he goes to twitter, YouTube, podcasts and I doubt anyone forces him to. I dunno If I was the boss of xbox I would not have that much time to spend going around.
Just say, you have no idea how interviews are conducted. Those words already delivered 27 games day1 gamepass on e3. Something, no company have done it. Lets ignore it, and talk shit like always.

I feel sorry for you guys. You guys have unhealthy amount of obsession with this guy. Its like you guys cant shut up at all.

There is ignore button. Use that, if you dont want to know anything about him. Its that easy. You dont have to trouble yourself typing these words.
I worked on marketing, I am clear idea how things work than you. "unhealthy amount of obsession with this guy" - Are you talking about non xbox fans or xbox fans?

kingfey

Banned
True but he can decline. He does not do that. I also think people are very naive thinking the boss from xbox is stalked and forced to give interviews non stop, he goes to twitter, YouTube, podcasts and I doubt anyone forces him to. I dunno If I was the boss of xbox I would not have that much time to spend going around.

I worked on marketing, I am clear idea how things work than you. "unhealthy amount of obsession with this guy" - Are you talking about non xbox fans or xbox fans?
If you know marketing, do you think, Phil will just magically join an interview? In order for him to get an interview, he needs to have it scheduled. Plus meeting these days are very simple. Just pull out zoom call, and you are done interviewing.

and as for the obsession, if you see this post, you will see certain people, pretty much obsessed with him. Its like, he lives in their head.

As for xbox people, that is the guy leading their preferred console. Same thing other console fans post Jim Ryan memes. I dont have issues with these 2 people, when they do that. I am an outsider to their group. As 3 console owner, I have no stake in their arguments.

Sorry if i come as mean there.

That can be true too. I feel he is very accessible though. He could decline interviews but then it might go from one extreme to the other: "oh no Phil is avoiding questions Xbox is in trouble!" 😂

Top Bottom