• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on the future of Xbox: we still want to take risks with games

Banjo64

cumsessed
FranXico FranXico and OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme I really feel for you guys. FranXico FranXico in particular.

It really reflects poorly on you both, and makes you look intimidated by Phil’s manly Chad genes.

4u6foc.jpg

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
FranXico FranXico and OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme I really feel for you guys. FranXico FranXico in particular.

It really reflects poorly on you both, and makes you look intimidated by Phil’s manly Chad genes.

4u6foc.jpg
I'm doing just fine. I've been a subscriber to gamepass since almost day one. I don't have an Xbox anymore since they told me I didn't have to since everything is coming to pc. Saves me money. I can simply acknowledge the fact that MS has a huge IP problem. Sony and Nintendo don't. Just the facts my dude. Just the facts.

cireza

Amazing. Not one of those titles is from a multiplatform franchise that was permanently removed from a platform.

There will be Street Fighter and Final Fantasy games on Xbox again. Project Athia is one game, not even out yet, that I'd bet will also be on Xbox.

As for Sunset Overdrive, it flopped anyway. And Sony does not have publishing rights to it either. Maybe you should ask Phil why didn't he greenlight a sequel.

No, my friend, I was referring to Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, RAGE, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Evil Within, etc. You know, future entries of their respective series.

And I didn't even include the Starfield PS5 version that got canceled because MS is so pro-consumer...
Street Fighter V is a game from a multiplatform franchise that was permanently removed from Xbox. Same with KOF XIV. Wipeout was multiplatform before it was bought and eventually killed. Probably many others that I am missing. I don't see why Sunset Overdrive would not count over a stupid reason you created in your mind, as long as Insomniac is part of Sony, the series won't happen anymore on Xbox. This has always been a Sony strategy. Don't blame MS for doing the exact same thing.

How do you know that these Zenimax franchises will never appear again on PS ? You don't. Maybe that Sunset Overdrive 2 will happen some day on a Xbox console. Nobody can tell. Simply showing that your argument is ridiculous to begin with.

Last edited:

FranXico

when it's about ms you're quick to post and fud....
seeing your brand focused vendetta is funny now i only have that for you at this point :
tenor.gif
Cute gif.

"Fud" isn't a verb. Since you so patiently and maturely waited before posting in defense of your favorite corporation, take the time to learn what the acronym means.

Last edited:

martino

Cute gif.

"Fud" isn't a verb. Since you so patiently and maturely waiting before posting in defense of your favorite corporation, take the time to learn what the acronym means.
200.gif

edit : i knew that but remember you've seen this neologism here first ! (in fact i already used elsewhere but first time for you)

Last edited:
Is this the monthly “Phil Spencer says…” thread? We are almost 2 years past the initial reveal of the Xbox series X and so far no first party titles. 👀
Gears Tactics was on XSX|S on launch day. It is a first party Xbox title and was not on consoles prior to console launch. The Hive Busters DLC for Gears 5 hit after launch as well. It's ok to not like MS's output but no need to lie.

yurinka

MS does a great job with PR, Phil appears frequently saying nice words and making cool promises everywhere.

But I'd prefer them to release a big chunk of green metacritic console exclusives every year instead.

As for Sunset Overdrive, it flopped anyway. And Sony does not have publishing rights to it either. Maybe you should ask Phil why didn't he greenlight a sequel.
They released Sunset Overdrive late 2014. Spider-Man was released in 2018 for Sony, who bought them in 2019. Pretty likely they started to talk about Spider-Man and the acquisition soon after Sunset Overdrive was released.

So maybe MS wanted to greenlight Sunset Overdrive 2 but Insomniac was more interested on the Spider-Man project. When Sony bought the studio, also bought the Sunset Overdrive IP. So they will be able to release a remaster/remake/extended version when desired, make sequels or movies or something like that if they ever want to.

But it was a 81 MC Xbox console exclusive game with no big sales, so I doubt Sony would be interested to invest on it. I think they'll prefer to invest instead on Spider-Man, Ratchet and brand new Sony+Insomniac IPs.

I would not call Death Stranding safe in any kind of way though
Same goes with Dreams, Returnal or Destruction All Stars. In addition to invest in many AAA new IPs (see GoT or Days Gone) which itself is risky, Sony frequently greenlights speacially risky games. Some of them stick, some of them don't. But since they release a ton of exclusives, some of these new IPs or weird ideas become very successful and keep growing their line-up of important IPs and types of games covered.

Last edited:
Amazing. Not one of those titles is from a multiplatform franchise that was permanently removed from a platform.

There will be Street Fighter and Final Fantasy games on Xbox again. Project Athia is one game, not even out yet, that I'd bet will also be on Xbox.

No, my friend, I was referring to Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, RAGE, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Evil Within, etc. You know, future entries of their respective series.

And I didn't even include the Starfield PS5 version that got canceled because MS is so pro-consumer...

Microsoft bought Bethesda for $7.5 billion. What part of that do you refuse to understand? The part where Microsoft spent $7.5 billion dollars to purchase Zenimax and Bethesda, or the part where that now means Microsoft owns all the studios and the game properties?

And the utter hypocrisy of you daring to bring up Starfield is rich. Just because Sony have the willingness, but not the financial freedom to get specific Xbox titles canceled outright is no reason to try to make their own business practices relating to timed exclusives look any more pro consumer or noble than Microsoft simply taking ownership of what they legally spent over $7.5 billion dollars on.

FF16
Ghostwire Tokyo (timed)
Deathloop (timed)
Project Athia (Forspoken)
FF7 Remake

are all games that certainly have/had Xbox versions put on hold or potentially canceled based on Sony's actions. And guess what? I'm fine with all of that. If I and others can accept it and just move on why can't others do the same with Bethesda?

The bitterness over Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Starfield, Doom, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Rage, the evil within and the like being owned by Xbox is going to be an issue for some all gen long, I can tell. We might as well toss the Outer Worlds 2, Hellblade 2 and Avowed in there too, since I'm sure many Playstation gamers in some shape or form probably feel entitled to those also since the developer's prior game released on Playstation, and so the natural assumption is that their next game, and any newer games, would have also if not for those pesky kids at Microsoft.

You wanna quickly shutdown this entire argument about games that were previously multi-platform being removed from other platforms?

Let's go with Spider-Man.

Spider-Man released in 2002 released on Gamecube, PC, PS2 and Xbox
Spider-Man 2 released in 2004 released on gamecube, PC, PS2 and xbox
Ultimate Spider-Man 2005 released on Gamecube, PC, PS2, Xbox
Spider-Man 3 in 2007 released on PS3, 360, PC
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe released on PC, PS2, 360

see a pattern emerging?

The following Spider-Man games all released on Xbox and Playstation consoles and PC except Edge of Time.

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows - 2008
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions - 2010
Spider-Man: Edge of Time - 2011
The Amazing Spider-Man - 2012
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 2014

And then *gasp* Sony went and took this "multi-platform franchise and permanently removed it from Xbox platforms"

So whenever upset Playstation gamers bring up Bethesda, all anyone ever needs to bring up is Spider-Man. According to some people the $229 million Sony spent for Insomniac and the $7 million Sony spent for the Spider-Man rights (yes $7 million) is much more important than the $7.5 Billion Microsoft spent for Zenimax and Bethesda.

I'm doing just fine. I've been a subscriber to gamepass since almost day one. I don't have an Xbox anymore since they told me I didn't have to since everything is coming to pc. Saves me money. I can simply acknowledge the fact that MS has a huge IP problem. Sony and Nintendo don't. Just the facts my dude. Just the facts.
IP problem?

They now have more legendary or big game IP than Sony does as far as I'm concerned.

Halo
Doom
Quake
Dishonored
Wolfenstein
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Indiana Jones
Perfect Dark
Killer Instinct
Gears of War
Starfield (suffer no illusions, this game will be a huge hit)
Forza Horizon
Forza Motorsport
The Outer Worlds

I don't know why people doubt him on this. Some of the first games we are seeing are Grounded, Psychonauts 2 and Flight Simulator. Then they decided to let Playground Games start working on a AAA game in a genre they've never touched. Ninja Theory is working on multiple mental illness projects. Xbox is putting tons of indies on Gamepass day one, and paid for the entire Yakuza series, and Octopath Traveler on Gamepass.

Gamepass as a payment model really promotes more developer freedom since they're pretty much going to get paid either way. They don't even have to rely on straight boxed sales alone. It's like a youtuber with a patreon getting to make whatever content they want without having to worry about ads and views.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
On topic, I dont think Hellblade 2, another Fable game, another Perfect Dark game, another Gears game, another State of Decay sequel, having 343 spend 10 years supporting the same Halo game instead of developing new IPs, are all that risky.

Mechanics and design are the core of what games are. IP is just the window dressing. Too early to judge how risky MS with the crop of games you listed as they're mostly unknowns at this point.

FranXico

So maybe MS wanted to greenlight Sunset Overdrive 2 but Insomniac was more interested on the Spider-Man project. When Sony bought the studio, also bought the Sunset Overdrive IP. So they will be able to release a remaster/remake/extended version when desired, make sequels or movies or something like that if they ever want to.
I see what you mean, but publishing rights were signed off to MS. Nothing else will be done with the IP until it expires.

I would not call Death Stranding safe in any kind of way though
All is hyperbolic of course. We can go game for game and nitpick the 1% that takes a risk with their direction. But the vast majority just takes already established popular conventions and slap a fresh coat of paint on them. Not saying it’s exactly a bad thing, just the state of most forms of entertainment.

cireza

In what world was Final Fantasy, or project Athia "more popular" or "famous multiplatform franchises" on xbox you heathen. Any of those ips except the obvious SO for that matter.
Who cares if it is more popular, what a ridiculous argument. FF XIII and XV are on Xbox and definitely had success there, otherwise Sony would not be buying to prevent Xbox from having VII Remake and XVI for years.

reksveks

On topic, I dont think Hellblade 2, another Fable game, another Perfect Dark game, another Gears game, another State of Decay sequel, having 343 spend 10 years supporting the same Halo game instead of developing new IPs, are all that risky.

Platform holders, whether that platform is subscription or a hardware device or a store, are actively investing in new and probably more risky things, because, if it works, we get value out of bringing players into the ecosystem

I don't know if I would sum it up as risky games. I would say risky strategies and moves.

Gamepass as a payment model really promotes more developer freedom since they're pretty much going to get paid either way. They don't even have to rely on straight boxed sales alone. It's like a youtuber with a patreon getting to make whatever content they want without having to worry about ads and views.
Cheers for trying to bring the topic back to the point.

Yeah, gamepass will allow shorter and more varied games instead of hitting a price point or given length or specific tropes that sell.

yurinka

I see what you mean, but publishing rights were signed off to MS. Nothing else will be done with the IP until it expires.
Microsoft published the first game on Xbox and PC, but Sony bought the IP. So if Sony wants, they can release a sequel or a movie tomorrow.

We should have to look the publishing contract of the first game if it forbids ports for non-MS consoles and if in the case it does it, if it's for a period of time, for a generation or forever. And also what it does say regarding remakes, remasters, extended editions or reboots. Pretty likely they can add some extra stuff, call it Sunset Overdrive Baysplosions and release it on PS5.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Microsoft bought Bethesda for $7.5 billion. What part of that do you refuse to understand? The part where Microsoft spent $7.5 billion dollars to purchase Zenimax and Bethesda, or the part where that now means Microsoft owns all the studios and the game properties?

And the utter hypocrisy of you daring to bring up Starfield is rich. Just because Sony have the willingness, but not the financial freedom to get specific Xbox titles canceled outright is no reason to try to make their own business practices relating to timed exclusives look any more pro consumer or noble than Microsoft simply taking ownership of what they legally spent over $7.5 billion dollars on.

FF16
Ghostwire Tokyo (timed)
Deathloop (timed)
Project Athia (Forspoken)
FF7 Remake

are all games that certainly have/had Xbox versions put on hold or potentially canceled based on Sony's actions. And guess what? I'm fine with all of that. If I and others can accept it and just move on why can't others do the same with Bethesda?

The bitterness over Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Starfield, Doom, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Rage, the evil within and the like being owned by Xbox is going to be an issue for some all gen long, I can tell. We might as well toss the Outer Worlds 2, Hellblade 2 and Avowed in there too, since I'm sure many Playstation gamers in some shape or form probably feel entitled to those also since the developer's prior game released on Playstation, and so the natural assumption is that their next game, and any newer games, would have also if not for those pesky kids at Microsoft.

You wanna quickly shutdown this entire argument about games that were previously multi-platform being removed from other platforms?

Let's go with Spider-Man.

Spider-Man released in 2002 released on Gamecube, PC, PS2 and Xbox
Spider-Man 2 released in 2004 released on gamecube, PC, PS2 and xbox
Ultimate Spider-Man 2005 released on Gamecube, PC, PS2, Xbox
Spider-Man 3 in 2007 released on PS3, 360, PC
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe released on PC, PS2, 360

see a pattern emerging?

The following Spider-Man games all released on Xbox and Playstation consoles and PC except Edge of Time.

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows - 2008
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions - 2010
Spider-Man: Edge of Time - 2011
The Amazing Spider-Man - 2012
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 2014

And then *gasp* Sony went and took this "multi-platform franchise and permanently removed it from Xbox platforms"

So whenever upset Playstation gamers bring up Bethesda, all anyone ever needs to bring up is Spider-Man. According to some people the $229 million Sony spent for Insomniac and the $7 million Sony spent for the Spider-Man rights (yes $7 million) is much more important than the $7.5 Billion Microsoft spent for Zenimax and Bethesda.

IP problem?

They now have more legendary or big game IP than Sony does as far as I'm concerned.

Halo
Doom
Quake
Dishonored
Wolfenstein
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Indiana Jones
Perfect Dark
Killer Instinct
Gears of War
Forza Horizon
Forza Motorsport
The Outer Worlds
Halo: diminished
Doom: Great. Nothing new on xbox only though
Quake:lol non-extistent
DIshonered: nothing special.
Wolfenstein: greatly diminished. The last several games bombed.
Elder Scrolls: years away. Meanwhile, it's available everywhere
Fallout: diminished. Available everywhere for now
Indiana Jones: we'll see
Perfect Dark: Was a great n64 game. Been shit since.
Killer Instinct: dead in the water for now. Good game though
Gears of War: Diminished. I like them enough to play them
Starfield: Might be great.
Forza Horizon: Good game series.
Forza Mototrsport: lesser than horizion. They know this.
The Outer Worlds: It was fine. Didn't sell.

So yeah. They have an IP problem.

reksveks

“When we can stream to any device – a PC, or could be a phone – we can really look at how we make more of these kinds of early access [experiences], even as a funding model for creators sometimes,” he says. “I think it can open up a tighter relationship between creator and consumer … Creators are a huge focus for us right now.”
If you want to know why Nadella is interested in Xbox apart from Cloud. It is this.

BootsLoader

Banned
I don’t know you and I don’t care to know you…
- Sits on a chair and eating an apple in world of oblivion
- Dies from poisoning.
This is what Phil Spencer reminds me for some unknown reason.

Looking ahead at the next 3 years of Xbox Game Studio games, Microsoft does seem to have their hands in a lot of genres that is unrivaled by any other publisher in terms of diversity:

-Halo Infinite (FPS)
-Forza Horizon 5 (Arcade Racer/Open-World)
-Forza Motorsport (Sim Racer/Closed Tracks)
-RedFall (Online Co-Op/Fantasy/Open-World)
-Starfield (Sci-Fi RPG)
-Hellblade (Fantasy 3rd Person Adventure)
-Avowed (Fantasy RPG)
-Fable (Fantasy RPG)
-Outer Worlds 2 (Sci-Fi RPG)
-Contraband (Online Co-Op/Open-World)
-Gears 6 (Third Person Shooter)
-Perfect Dark (First or 3rd Person Espionage/Shooter)

None of these games follow a cinematic over the back "hold-your-hand" formula found in more recent games by competing publishers.

Last edited:
Halo: diminished
Doom: Great. Nothing new on xbox only though
Quake:lol non-extistent
DIshonered: nothing special.
Wolfenstein: greatly diminished. The last several games bombed.
Elder Scrolls: years away. Meanwhile, it's available everywhere
Fallout: diminished. Available everywhere for now
Indiana Jones: we'll see
Perfect Dark: Was a great n64 game. Been shit since.
Killer Instinct: dead in the water for now. Good game though
Gears of War: Diminished. I like them enough to play them
Starfield: Might be great.
Forza Horizon: Good game series.
Forza Mototrsport: lesser than horizion. They know this.
The Outer Worlds: It was fine. Didn't sell.

So yeah. They have an IP problem.

Outer Worlds sold very well and had a smaller budget.
Forza Motorsport isn't for everybody, but top notch franchise, but I agree not nearly as big as Horizon
Starfield, I like that you were fair in saying it may end up great. I believe so too. I'm certain this will be one of the biggest/most loved game releases this entire generation.
Gears of War, yea, I guess I can see that, except to me I think Gears 5 is the best in the franchise's history.
Killer Instinct - Yea, future uncertain
Perfect Dark - I didn't even like the N64 game people go so crazy about, but I know it's an IP with tons of potential in the right hands.
Indiana Jones - fair, we'll see, but the potential is there and the right team is on it.
Fallout - definitely not diminished, fallout 76 has people fooled. The next big singleplayer they release will be huge, just like the rest. Toss in the Amazon fallout series coming, and Fallout is due for a big return
Elder Scrolls - of course available everywhere, but this next one is one of the most anticipated games in the entire industry, next to starfield, Halo Infinite etc

Halo Infinite - Is technically as big as it ever was, most ambitious looking Halo ever, free to play MP will be big, campaign is creating the most hype for any Halo in man years. Will not disappoint. Also has a major TV series coming, which if it's good will further bolster the game's popularity.

Wolfenstein - games are excellent, and will be getting better and more recognition due to the xbox deal
Dishonored - one of the most underrated franchises in game, definitely a sleeping giant, will benefit greatly from xbox attention. Redfall also? Watch that game blow up.
Quake - yea, quake is non-existent true, but I only mentioned it as part of the legendary IP microsoft now owns.
Doom - The new for xbox only is coming. Doom has never been better.

And I purposely left out so many, only because I was going for the big names. But don't sleep on Hellblade 2 or Contraband.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Outer Worlds sold very well and had a smaller budget.
Forza Motorsport isn't for everybody, but top notch franchise, but I agree not nearly as big as Horizon
Starfield, I like that you were fair in saying it may end up great. I believe so too. I'm certain this will be one of the biggest/most loved game releases this entire generation.
Gears of War, yea, I guess I can see that, except to me I think Gears 5 is the best in the franchise's history.
Killer Instinct - Yea, future uncertain
Perfect Dark - I didn't even like the N64 game people go so crazy about, but I know it's an IP with tons of potential in the right hands.
Indiana Jones - fair, we'll see, but the potential is there and the right team is on it.
Fallout - definitely not diminished, fallout 76 has people fooled. The next big singleplayer they release will be huge, just like the rest. Toss in the Amazon fallout series coming, and Fallout is due for a big return
Elder Scrolls - of course available everywhere, but this next one is one of the most anticipated games in the entire industry, next to starfield, Halo Infinite etc

Halo Infinite - Is technically as big as it ever was, most ambitious looking Halo ever, free to play MP will be big, campaign is creating the most hype for any Halo in man years. Will not disappoint. Also has a major TV series coming, which if it's good will further bolster the game's popularity.

Wolfenstein - games are excellent, and will be getting better and more recognition due to the xbox deal
Dishonored - one of the most underrated franchises in game, definitely a sleeping giant, will benefit greatly from xbox attention. Redfall also? Watch that game blow up.
Quake - yea, quake is non-existent true, but I only mentioned it as part of the legendary IP microsoft now owns.
Doom - The new for xbox only is coming. Doom has never been better.

And I purposely left out so many, only because I was going for the big names. But don't sleep on Hellblade 2 or Contraband.
Fair responses. I'm not saying they have nothing. They are working on it.
I'm really looking forward to Hellblade 2. I loved the first one.

ZywyPL

Banned
IP problem?

Halo
Doom
Quake
Dishonored
Wolfenstein
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Indiana Jones
Perfect Dark
Killer Instinct
Gears of War
Forza Horizon
Forza Motorsport
The Outer Worlds

None of those is a 10/10 metacritic GOTY, only like 3 people on the planet play the mentioned titles.

/S

Riky

$MSFT
I think the reboot of Perfect Dark with a new studio is pretty risky, the franchise comes with a mountain of expectation that even Rare couldn't deliver on with Zero.
If it isn't as incredible as the original then you are on a hiding to nothing basically.

Fair responses. I'm not saying they have nothing. They are working on it.
I'm really looking forward to Hellblade 2. I loved the first one.

I like that they're expanding the scope to seemingly more of what they wanted the first to be, but simply didn't have the budget for. Very excited about the potential there.

Contraband we know little of, but I has a suspicious feeling it will achieve Forza Horizon success, but for those who desire more destruction, action and mayhem in a vehicle based title.

None of those is a 10/10 metacritic GOTY, only like 3 people on the planet play the mentioned titles.

/S

All 3 of us are looking forward to it. :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_beaming:

I think the reboot of Perfect Dark with a new studio is pretty risky, the franchise comes with a mountain of expectation that even Rare couldn't deliver on with Zero.
If it isn't as incredible as the original then you are on a hiding to nothing basically.

Risky, but teaming with opportunity. I don't think they pick that franchise without having some insane ideas for the reboot.

Riky

$MSFT
All 3 of us are looking forward to it. :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_beaming:

Risky, but teaming with opportunity. I don't think they pick that franchise without having some insane ideas for the reboot.

I agree, it's my most wanted game by far and hopefully it lives up to the legacy. Some people are going to hate it regardless but as long as it has a lot of core concepts from the original with a new angle I'll be happy.

Top Bottom