• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Parity is a hell of a Clause

Edge: Is the parity clause dead now?

Spencer: I think so. There's this idea that's been named 'parity clause', but there is no clause. We've come out and been very transparent in the last four or five months about exactly what we want.

If there's a developer who's building a game and they just can't get the game done for both platforms - cool. We'll take a staggered release. We've done it before, and we work with them on that. If another platform does a deal with you as a developer to build an exclusive version of your game for them, and you can't ship on my platform for a year, when the game comes out in a year let's just work together to make it special in some way. People complained about that, but you did a deal with somebody else and you got paid for it and I'm happy - we do those same deals, so I'm not knocking you. It's going to be better for you, actually, because people don't want last year's game, they want something special and new.
Sounds like it's still a thing.

Source: interview with Edge magazine, #282.

Crayon

Ladies and Gentlemen, the real first post:

"There is no parity clause. It never existed. That don't make no damn sense..."

rick-james-dave-chappelle.jpg

"Yes there's a parity clause"

Finally, some progress. A little denial mixed in still, but a huge improvement.

Jigorath

Banned
If another platform does a deal with you as a developer to build an exclusive version of your game for them, and you can't ship on my platform for a year, when the game comes out in a year let's just work together to make it special in some way.

Sigh.

TimmiT

If another platform does a deal with you as a developer to build an exclusive version of your game for them, and you can't ship on my platform for a year, when the game comes out in a year let's just work together to make it special in some way. People complained about that, but you did a deal with somebody else and you got paid for it and I'm happy - we do those same deals, so I'm not knocking you. It's going to be better for you, actually, because people don't want last year's game, they want something special and new.
So they still won't let you release it on Xbox One if you released it on a different platform before unless you add something extra? Doesn't sound like much changed.

M3z_

So Rocket League ever gonna come to Xbox, because they need to court that game they are missing out.

edit: probably not...

People complained about that, but you did a deal with somebody else and you got paid for it and I'm happy - we do those same deals, so I'm not knocking you. It's going to be better for you, actually, because people don't want last year's game, they want something special and new.

Lol he still doesnt get it.

Rembrandt

Banned

nothing about their stance has changed. they've always been saying that if you have an exclusive deal with someone, you need to have exclusive/extra content for the XB1. it's not the best stance because i couldn't care less if something launches on PS4/Wii U/PC first, but they've been consistent, to my knowledge. i want hotline miami on XB1, though.

what's vague about it? it's extremely clear.

For a clause that doesn't exist according to him, it sure does sounds like one.

This. Nothing's changed.

Phil Spencer said:
There's this idea that's been named 'parity clause', but there is no clause. We've come out and been very transparent in the last four or five months about exactly what we want.

Perfect time for benderlaugh.gif

The biggest problem is the message is still "If you want your game on Xbox, come to us and we'll tell you what you have to do"

Where *other* platforms actually make an effort to reach out and ask what THEY can do for these small studios to help them get their game published

Zomba13

Guys, it's not a parity clause. That'd be silly. They don't have a parity clause, they never have.

It's more like, a parity rule.

Foffy

Banned
Microsoft is such a desperate joke when it comes to their demands of parity. Keep spinnin' dat wheel, queen.

Carl

As before, if you're going to make exceptions for people that "come talk to you" just drop the fucking thing entirel.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
nothing about their stance has changed. they've always been saying that if you have an exclusive deal with someone, you need to have exclusive/extra content for the XB1. it's not the best stance because i couldn't care less if something launches on PS4/Wii U/PC first, but they've been consistent, to my knowledge. i want hotline miami on XB1, though.

what's vague about it? it's extremely clear.

They have not been transparent in the whole "come talk to us" schtick. That has always been murky.

Saty

Seems like he's differentiating between games that just release later because of resources - which they don't require special content added to them; and games that are releasing later because of a deal with Sony, which they do ask for special content.

"It's dead. Yeah. There is no clause."

[Goes on into to contradict the statement entirely]

If you go to PS4 first, you gotta wait a year for XBone + some exclusive features to spice it up.

I recall the PR spin a while back about how the parity clause was about giving XBO users a "first class" experience, yet PSN has almost double the digital / downloadable / indie titles on it's store.

The irony that XBO users are second-rate citizens because of these shitty policies.

Rembrandt

Banned
The biggest problem is the message is still "If you want your game on Xbox, come to us and we'll tell you what you have to do"

Where *other* platforms actually make an effort to reach out and ask what THEY can do for these small studios to help them get their game published

but that's before release vs after. has microsoft not helped any indie devs before release vs asking for extra content because they went exclusive because of external deals?

Nutter

During the PS3 days yeah, PS4 no.

So basically the platform leader gets the game first and the secondary platforms want a little extra to sell the game. I see can understand the frustration, but when Sony did it for PS3 games, where was the outrage? They are leading this generation and all of sudden this practice is now seen as a bad one.

Top Bottom