• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Played my first games on early Scorpio unit."

Crayon

Ports of the best titles from the previous generation have proved an excellent money maker and a relatively simple way to fill out the lean months post launch. I'd say that's a pretty tempting reason for Sony.

Both the publisher and Sony would still make money off a sale of a ps4 game that is played on ps5. They can add a ps5 patch if a remaster effect is desired.

shandy706

God-damn. We have Jaguar.

Pack it up. Chobel, get my avatar ready.

We want to give you a decent upgrade my arse Phil. Damn I'm salty.

I'm still running new releases at 4k with an i7 920 from 8 years ago....I just upgrade my GPU.

Don't be salty, it will probably be fine.

Yeah, I think it was around that time. They wanted Cell architecture on PS4 to have PS3 compatibility but had to make a hard choice to think of the future instead of the past mistakes.

Isn't that just evidence of Sony's intentions to make PS5 backwards compatible? That certainly doesn't suggest they want PS4 to be able to play PS5 games natively.

Anyway, getting things back on topic: All evidence so far seems to suggest Microsoft wants to keep their consoles as forward-compatible as possible. This doesn't mean Scorpio 5 games will still be playable on Xbox One, but it at least means that a new console won't immediately ditch the old one. That's a very good thing.

jdmonmou

I'm kind of sad because I've never been less hype for new consoles than I am right now. The Switch, PS4 Pro, and Scorpio don't really have compelling reasons for me to buy any of them. Regarding the Scorpio, I really don't need to buy it if I already have PC and there will only be a few exclusive titles on the platform. I'm searching for reasons to get hype for this stuff, but to me all these new consoles seem like a huge waste of money.

I know some of you might be disappointed by it not being more powerful, but if theyy deliver it at 399 for a bit more powerful than a Pro, and you are an xbox only guy, you won't be disappointed. Games with unlocked framerates are more stable (Battlefield 1 is a huge improvement). Downsampling is really really nice. For anything that is checkerboard rendered(not sure if thats the right term), once you are playing on a big 4k TV you really can't notice a difference (compared to 900p v 1080p). It's a very worthwhile purchase still.

I know some of you might be disappointed by it not being more powerful, but if theyy deliver it at 399 for a bit more powerful than a Pro, and you are an xbox only guy, you won't be disappointed. Games with unlocked framerates are more stable (Battlefield 1 is a huge improvement). Downsampling is really really nice. For anything that is checkerboard rendered(not sure if thats the right term), once you are playing on a big 4k TV you really can't notice a difference (compared to 900p v 1080p). It's a very worthwhile purchase still.

Yeah... some people are expecting the moon and the stars here. I'll be incredibly happy with what you mentioned above. I most likely won't have a 4K TV for a few more years yet so Scorpio will make games look great on my set.

shandy706

Your 1st gen i7 absolutely destroys the Jaguar cores we'll get.

That's not the point though....the point is that even if it's a similar CPU, the GPU is going to be the biggest and most important upgrade.

No reason to be upset. Wait for the results.

I'm kind of sad because I've never been less hype for new consoles than I am right now. The Switch, PS4 Pro, and Scorpio don't really have compelling reasons for me to buy any of them. Regarding the Scorpio, I really don't need to buy it if I already have PC and there will only be a few exclusive titles on the platform. I'm searching for reasons to get hype for this stuff, but to me all these new consoles seem like a huge waste of money.

Then wait. You're not forced to buy anything. Wait until the libraries build and prices drop an buy whatever you want.

cakely

Let's put it this way: I bought a PS4P, day one, knowing that I'd be getting resolution boosts and supersampling in some games. Thanks to Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2, I'm very happy with my purchase.

XBO:S will be the same for me, performance and resolution boosts in some (probably more) games. Assuming a $400 price, it's highly likely I'll be pre-ordering mine for day one.

Expecting the next generation of consoles to start in November 2017 was unrealistic.

leeh

That's not the point though....the point is that even if it's a similar CPU, the GPU is going to be the biggest and most important upgrade.

No reason to be upset. Wait for the results.
Yeah, I get the size of the upgrade to the GPU, but from looking it at a high level, you've got a CPU in a console releasing at the end of 2017 which would be outclassed by CPU's from over 7 years ago.

Like what's that shit about.

wapplew

Yeah, I get the size of the upgrade to the GPU, but from looking it at a high level, you've got a CPU in a console releasing at the end of 2017 which would be outclassed by CPU's from over 7 years ago.

Like what's that shit about.

Who care what CPU inside if the machine give you 4K 60dps Forza 7.

Bummblue

Neo Member
Revised Phil Tweet should be GAF's daily game today.

"Great day, Scorpio update w/ team. Played my first games on early Scorpio unit. Not sure what they were thinking. Jaguar what? LoL."

m23

Revised Phil Tweet should be GAF's daily game today.

"Great day, Scorpio update w/ team. Played my first games on early Scorpio unit. Not sure what they were thinking. Jaguar what? LoL."

"Played Scorpio today with the team, it was OK, pixels too compressed. We will work on it. Risks."

Well, yeah? Gamers rushing out to buy new hardware, devs trying new things with their brand new SDK, media frenzy about launch lineups, system shortages, controller changes, etc... the console market really benefits from this, IMO.

Maybe in the past but it's one of the reasons I never jumped on the new console bandwagon this generation, it was just a bit underwhelming to be honest. Developers spend years making a game and adding new hardware in the equation just adds longer development cycles. Then you run into situations like the WiiU where some games get canceled then redone on Switch. It's a window they have to continually monitor while in development.

Here's a box, now make games for it. Here's a new box, start over and make games on the new box now please.

SliChillax

doing that automatically would mean every game would have to run at dynamic res or unlocked FPS, which generally speaking they can't mandate outside of encouraging first parties to do that.

Doesn't the S already do that? I've read that games on the One S run better. I'm not saying make a game that runs at 900p 30fps scale automatically at 1080p 60fps, I'm saying if a game has trouble maintaining a locked framerate, the Scorpio can help it keep it locked without needing a patch like the PS4 Pro.

How can the Pro be a response if it was in production much earlier? Wasn't the Scorpio stuff leaked/publicized after the Pro docs got out?

This isn't console warz stuff, I just think your timeline is incorrect.

From what i remember phil spencer hinted at hardware upgrades to xbox one back in early march of 2016 ....http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/03/an-upgradable-xbox-one-think-this-one-through-microsoft/

Then a couple weeks later rumors of ps4.5 started popping up....http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

I remember hearing about an upgrade to / upgradable xbox one prior to hearing about a ps4.5 but since they both were originally rumors floating around its always possible that i was just late on some rumors/early on others, who knows... MS def mentioned scorpio at e3 before Sony had their ps4 pro press conference though.

I wouldnt go that far in saying x86 guarantees BC. When you read interviews with Cerny about how he developed the PS4 pro hardware, he was very cautious about how to approach it so that the machine can still run in a base PS4 mode with the same hardware. Even changing the GPU slightly would cause issues os if the CPU ran at a different clock speed for current games on the system. He also said it be difficult for MS to go without generations because of changing gpu architectures(however we are talking about a company who's emulation abilities and legendary).

This might be due to the fact that Xbox and PS4 dev kits allow developers to target the hardware directly. So if sony goes with a different CPU and GPU architecture, I wonder how they will handle BC.

I could be wrong though, but based on the interviews Cerny did, didnt give me much hope for BC on PS5. If I am wrong please someone reassure me as I have games on my PS4 that I own digitally that id like to keep on PS5.
I think one way MS is combating that is with UWP and how that scales between Xbox and PC.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yes there is.

There are two different paths here:

- You buy an "Xbox" game and put it in Xbox One or Scorpio or Windows 10 PC and it will work.
- You buy a PS5 game, it will not work on your PS4.

Whether the PS5 plays PS4 games or not is irrelevant. They key difference is forward compatibility.

Wait. Are you saying that the system after the Scorpio (basically the same as a PS5), that those games will also be playable on the Xbox One?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The Scorpio is not just about the console itself. Scorpio's launch as a 'statment of intent' has the potential to 'reset' MS's intentions in regards to how they do business. More first party investments in new studios, less reliance on safe franchises, more looking into their own portfolio of IP's they are sitting on ect.

Think outside the box, its not just about the power of the HW. If MS play their cards right, it could be about signalling a real rethinking of their strategy about catering to their fans.
Holy shit.

vin-buc

The Scorpio is not just about the console itself. Scorpio's launch as a 'statment of intent' has the potential to 'reset' MS's intentions in regards to how they do business. More first party investments in new studios, less reliance on safe franchises, more looking into their own portfolio of IP's they are sitting on ect.

Think outside the box, its not just about the power of the HW. If MS play their cards right, it could be about signalling a real rethinking of their strategy about catering to their fans.

I am refraining from posting in the new Scorpio threads but this.....LOL.....this right here is too many Kool-Aid powder packets folks.

It can work if they simply transition Xbox to a service that can run on any type of hardware. Even PC hardware that you assemble yourself.

Basically, have them create a proper steambox with broad software support and an Xbox UI.

I think if you look at what they're doing, that is where they're headed. And I think it's the right thing to do.

I think MS will continue to make hardware, though - something akin to the Surface line (which doesn't replace other tablets/hybrids/laptops, but does complement/lead by example).

I think they will aim for a 2 "generation" compatibility scheme - something similar to phones in that software is compatible with the most advanced version and one version prior. Space out your hardware releases far enough, and you're really not far off from the current generations model. Except now you don't start over each generation...you get to keep most/all of those games from the past system(s).

If Sony offer PS4 full and automatic backwards compatibility with the PS5, there is no difference.

I think Sony will pursue a similar strategy (at least in regards to "generations" and compatibility between said "generations", not in regards to letting other hardware developers make a generic "PlayStation"). To me, I think it's kind of obvious, even if they're saying different things. This is where the Industry is going (largely because I think publishers want it to go in this direction).

Kayant

All consoles now are x86 PCs and the architecture will remain the same, that's why Sony was able to quickly iterate on the PS4 and make a beefier version of it.

Scorpio is a next-gen machine with the added benefit that all your old games will still be compatible. From this point on, similar to PCs, you'll not lose your library when you buy a next-gen system. I guess since NeoGAF is confsued, Microsoft will need to do a little work to make it clear to everyone that Scorpio isn't just a half-assed upgrade (which the PS4 Pro kinda is...), but a full blown next-gen machine that's just backwards-compatible to your current library.
I don't agree with Pro being "half-assed" as it's what was available in it's release timeframe.

Similarly Scorpio being "next-gen" I don't fully agree as it's library is shared with XB1 so will be constrained to a degree in terms of what games can do. Of course this is because MS has no defined gens anymore. The power increase also doesn't represent a full next-gen upgrade to me as not every component will see a major upgrade.

Scorpio is very much MS's PS4 Pro launching one year later meaning it has access to more powerful hardware. They are maybe "cheap" for not including a 4K Blu-ray player but given games are focus of the system and it was likely done to meet a budget. That does make it somewhat half assed but not in power.

Wait. Are you saying that the system after the Scorpio (basically the same as a PS5), that those games will also be playable on the Xbox One?
On a game basis yeah. Games won't be forced to support bone forever, but afterwards support will be optional, which is better than not possible.

I think one way MS is combating that is with UWP and how that scales between Xbox and PC.

Right, there was an article on Windows Central about that.

MS has been pretty open about their plan going forward. I am sure they will be fine with Forward and backward compatibility.

It is Sony that hasnt really been as open about their plans on this. A few users above state that Sony laid out the same plan when the system was unveiled. However no links are provided.

Shin-Ra

Hilarious, who said this originally?

borges

Banned
Your mistake is...

The next Xbox after Scorpio the games will play only in that next Xbox and possible PC. Same for PS5.

Scorpio is pretty much the same plan than Pro.

You sound very confident talking about two devices (Scorpio 2 and PS5) that we dont even know if they are going to exist ;)

Kill3r7

Even harder to justify at 1080p. I bought a Pro and while I appreciate the performance benefits I can't recommend dropping your good old trusted PS4 for it.

Top Bottom