• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Played my first games on early Scorpio unit."

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Your mistake is...

The next Xbox after Scorpio the games will play only in that next Xbox and possible PC. Same for PS5.

Scorpio is pretty much the same plan than Pro.

I'm about to talk completely out of my depth so please forgive the stupidity. Couldn't the PS5 use the same technique the PS4Pro is using but instead have 4 mirrors of the original GPU? So for older games you'd turn three off, for Pro games you'd turn two off and for PS5 games you'd use them all.

That sound sane to me ... or am I crazy?

Like what?

Performance, and likely access to newer display and connectivity features.

I'm about to talk completely out of my depth so please forgive the stupidity. Couldn't the PS5 use the same technique the PS4Pro is using but instead have 4 mirrors of the original GPU? So for older games you'd turn three off, for Pro games you'd turn two off and for PS5 games you'd use them all.

I don't believe it to be a literal mirror of the ps4 GPU. It's an entirely new GPU that just happens to have double the compute units of the original PS4. You are technically right as to what would likely happen either way, though. And, honestly, it's entirely possible a PS5 would do more than just quadruple the number of compute units in the original PS4 GPU. It could easily end up as 8 times that amount.

Crayon

That would work and would fit the philosophy now, where unpatched games run in a strict regular ps4 mode.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
You sound very confident talking about two devices (Scorpio 2 and PS5) that we dont even know if they are going to exist ;)

Yeah but those are the best posts to go back and read in a couple years.
They are either Nostradamus or Nostradumbass.

Like that dude who predicted the 3DS 3D feature before the original DS was even released.

Raitaro

Well, that first game sure wasn't Scalebound.

Thanks again Phil!

(If there was any ambitious game that would have been a great Scorpio launch title, especially it was indeed technical issues caused my Microsoft's push towards multiplayer that kept causing issues, it would have been this one.)

c0de

At some point you have architectural changes that make it hard to mimic the hardware old games ran on exactly so they run exactly as before. This applies to ram, CPU,GPU and clock speed. I doubt ps5 will be able to do all that.
Not to mention - which ps4 should they mimic. Ps4 or ps4 pro?

Norse

It'd be nice if it's same size as xbone S. And hopefully it will be able to stand or lay flat too.

As for future systems, 100% BC is tops on my list. If xbtwo and ps5 have it, makes my choice that much easier. Especially if MS or Sony doesn't include it.

TLZ

Banned
Here's my opinion to Albert:

- Announce the Scorpio as a next gen system (next gen implies fresh and new, not same old. Gives reason to people to think there's a difference, a good one. Will also mean you are first in the next gen race, like the 360 was, and puts the ps4 pro in last gen light, meaning old)

- Announce ground breaking specs to exhibit superiority and further prove on the next gen point (hopefully 8-10tf if possible)

- Show off all the possibilities with said tech, I.e. UI, games, the whole shebang

- Announce HDMI 2.1 (if that's possible at all at the time. If not, announce future compatibility/availability). Announce hdmi's newly announced VRR available on the Scorpio and how huge this is for gamers.

- Announce smooth transition from Xbox One to Scorpio telling us our Xbox one digital/disc games will work on the Scorpio hassle free. Put your Xbox one disc in and it works. Sign into your account and your whole list is ready on there. Also the Xbox 360 BC will be on the Scorpio the same it is on Xbox one with every BC game previously released ready from day one and counting. (If possible also announce original Xbox BC finally available because of Scorpio's new tech capabilities making it possible. This would be a nice extra)

- End it with a great price of $399, if possible, for this great new package and it's all for the gamers.

Profit.

borges

Banned
Yeah but those are the best posts to go back and read in a couple years.
They are either Nostradamus or Nostradumbass.

Like that dude who predicted the 3DS 3D feature before the original DS was even released.

Talking about Nostradumbass: Hello! my name is Borges, the guy who said to have "infinite faith on scalebound" just two days before cancellation. Beat me.

Footos22

- Announce the Scorpio as a next gen system (next gen implies fresh and new, not same old. Gives reason to people to think there's a difference, a good one. Will also mean you are first in the next gen race, like the 360 was, and puts the ps4 pro in last gen light, meaning old)

- Announce ground breaking specs to exhibit superiority and further prove on the next gen point (hopefully 8-10tf if possible)

- Show off all the possibilities with said tech, I.e. UI, games, the whole shebang

- Announce HDMI 2.1 (if that's possible at all at the time. If not, announce future compatibility/availability). Announce hdmi's newly announced VRR available on the Scorpio and how huge this is for gamers.

- Announce smooth transition from Xbox One to Scorpio telling us our Xbox one digital/disc games will work on the Scorpio hassle free. Put your Xbox one disc in and it works. Sign into your account and your whole list is ready on there. Also the Xbox 360 BC will be on the Scorpio the same it is on Xbox one with every BC game previously released ready from day one and counting. (If possible also announce original Xbox BC finally available because of Scorpio's new tech capabilities making it possible. This would be a nice extra)

- End it with a great price of $399, if possible, for this great new package and it's all for the gamers.

Profit.

399 for your wanted 8-10tf specs looool

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Your mistake is...

The next Xbox after Scorpio the games will play only in that next Xbox and possible PC. Same for PS5.

Scorpio is pretty much the same plan than Pro.

This isn't what the Xbox team has been talking about though. Sony has said that with PS5 they are looking at a completely new gen, no guarantee of backwards compatibility. Microsoft with UWP is indeed working on full backwards and forward compatibility and they haven't been shy about mentioning it, meaning that Scorpio 2 or whatever they call it, the games releasing at that point on should work on both Scorpio and Scorpio 2, but maybe not as far back as Xbox One S. But then again, looking at PC gaming, who knows, I don't think it's entirely out of the question. Keeping several consoles up at the same time is much better for the industry anyway as it guarantees a much bigger install base for game publishers. It's not about launching a brand new AAA title on Scorpio 2 only, you still factor in owners of the previous consoles as they can also play the same game so developers risk a lot less this way when developing a new game, and scaling it to fit on both or on all 3 systems won't be a huge problem for them. And looking at PC gaming, it is definitely possible to scale and make good use of the much newer and much more powerful hardware while still supporting older systems.

People going to be upset if Xbox one holding Scorpio back.

I really don't feel the Xbox One can hold Scorpio back in any way that will prove more important than what I feel will be the advantages of the Xbox One and Scorpio being closely related.

The advantage of there being a larger, more diverse lineup of existing games from day one, in addition to Scorpio being able to make use of all that extra horsepower to run newer, or specially optimized Xbox One games, on a much higher level than the original, is that in exchange for targeting Scorpio's specs alone with exclusive games, it will be easier (and much faster) to create new games. Less time focused on tech specs for the sake of saying you took it to the max, and more time spent on overall gameplay and design, or story, will ultimately lead to better games.

The Xbox One, in no fundamental game design category, holds back Scorpio. Xbox One simply won't be able to do quite as much of it, or do it with matching performance. Devs will find the best route towards optimization on Xbox One while keeping Scorpio in mind, and Scorpio will benefit in all the ways Xbox One could not. I think it's better for gamers that developers spend less time wrestling with new hardware, and more time fine tuning already well understood concepts that will benefit from more powerful hardware by default.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Cmon Phil show us what you got.

console looked right? i guess they went conservative with the specs then

It also became real. So it might have some type of adaptive ai speaking back to him. Or maybe it 3d prints your avatar. Maybe it has mechanical parts to move for the hidden screen. Lets speculate further.

Makai

Someone said it uses Ryzen, but that's impossible right? Devs could have used framerate-dependent code and switching CPUs could break that.

console looked right? i guess they went conservative with the specs then

You derive that from him saying the console "looked right?"

Jesus lol. Isn't he just referring to the outer design of the thing? Sounds to me like they have an internal look for this thing already, as opposed to just some meaningless outer shell.

krang

Profit.

So a massive up yours to people who have just recently bought an XB1S?

Jesb

What is the word on what upgrades Xbox one games will get on Scorpio, or is it basically going to look exactly the same? I imagine this late in the game most are not going to bother with patches?

krang

What is the word on what upgrades Xbox one games will get on Scorpio, or is it basically going to look exactly the same? I imagine this late in the game most are not going to bother with patches?

If the engines have a degree or variability (frame rates not hitting their target 30 or 60fps, or resolutions that automatically adjust up and down to ensure a consistent frame rate) then you should see them hit their targets more often or all the time, without any patches.

For example, I'm excited to see what Halo 5 looks like when it hits a more consistent 1080p60.

Baldy40

Neo Member
Given the white papers that leaked this console is as half baked as the ps4 pro is. It will use the same 2011 AMD jaguar 8 core cpu with a slight OC and a new Polaris or Vega/Polaris hybrid 6 Tflops GPU ( making it a bigger bottleneck than ps4 pro is). The ONLY and I MEAN ONLY difference between xb1 , xb1 S and the scorpio is the absence of ESRAM. The only way Microsoft can call this console a true next gen is IF it will use the new SoC ( System on a Chip) that is composed of the new AMD Zen 8 core cpu and the new AMD Radeon Vega GPU.

The fact of the matter is that the Scorpio is nothing more than a PS4 Pro plus 15 percent performance and more of a bottleneck.

Given the white papers that leaked this console is as half baked as the ps4 pro is. It will use the same 2011 AMD jaguar 8 core cpu with a slight OC and a new Polaris or Vega/Polaris hybrid 6 Tflops GPU ( making it a bigger bottleneck than ps4 pro is). The ONLY and I MEAN ONLY difference between xb1 , xb1 S and the scorpio is the absence of ESRAM. The only way Microsoft can call this console a true next gen is IF it will use the new SoC ( System on a Chip) that is composed of the new AMD Zen 8 core cpu and the new AMD Radeon Vega GPU.

The fact of the matter is that the Scorpio is nothing more than a PS4 Pro plus 15 percent performance and more of a bottleneck.

Edit: Nvm. It's obvious you can't be serious here

IMHO they should market it as a new generation BUT with full compatibility with Xbox One (and Xbox 360 BC) games.

Make it clear that day 1 all games will work on both systems, and it's up to devs over time if they want to switch to making a Scorpio only game.

They probably COULD launch it with some Scoprio only exclusive games...in that I don't think the majority of fans would be mad....but that contradicts the chat they have given about mid-gen upgrades.

MaulerX

What the hell are you talking about?

Bobnob

So a massive up yours to people who have just recently bought an XB1S?
I wouldn't feel as though it would be with guaranteed forwood compatibility you get to play all the games you have now in there full capacity on scorpio.

Am i right in thinking that Forza Horizon 2 had less features on the 360 version compared to the x1 version, if so that would annoy me more if i was'nt getting scorpio.

ty_hot

Profit.

They cant have a 'smooth transition' and say that 'its a new generation' at the same time. If games will work on both consoles, its an upgrade, if they will not, its a new gen. Microsoft has this play anywhere - you buy one game, play it on XOne and PC. Its obvious that by fall it will be PC+XOne+Scorpio. So no, its not a "new generation" (the one that we are used to).

I keep believing that they will have something like a 6 years gen per console, 2 years having games playing lastgen+currentgen, then 2 years of currentgen exclusives and then 2 years of currentgen+nextgen. or something like that (maybe bigger or smaller periods, but I think 2 years is great.

geordiemp

If possible ;)

Can you explain why?

It probably has allot to do with die size, as CPU + 8 TF GPU would be bigger than a 1080 lol, Horrendous costs and binning due to wafer process faults. Think Nvidia biggest GPU and go bigger. Also same reason 6 TF plus a Zen CPU seems a dream - the Zen CPU is massive compared to the Jaguar I recall, thats how Sony managed the tiny Jaguars + 4.5 TF in Pro.

Its all very interesting. Yes MS could do it easily with discrete CPU + GPU, but its then a steam box PC with big motherboard, lots of watts and will cost ££££.

I dont know how we will get to an I5 class CPU and 6 + TF at 16 nm in an APU single chip, could someone do the calcs ? I dont see it, educate me GAF !

AzerPhire

Guys you really need to forget this word 'generation' when it comes to Microsoft's new strategy. Going forward it is going to be like PC where this a minimum requirement (XB1) and a recommended requirement (PC or Scorpio). As time goes on new machines will come out and that minimum/recommended spec will shift but you will always have full comparability with any game in your library released from the XB1 on no matter what new hardware you are on.

It really is not that difficult to understand.

Zedox

Guys you really need to forget this word 'generation' when it comes to Microsoft's new strategy. Going forward it is going to be like PC where this a minimum requirement (XB1) and a recommended requirement (PC or Scorpio). As time goes on new machines will come out and that minimum/recommended spec will shift but you will always have full comparability with any game in your library released from the XB1 on no matter what new hardware you are on.

It really is not that difficult to understand.

Shhhhhhhhhhh

Top Bottom