• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Played my first games on early Scorpio unit."

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't think the model will work for consoles... I think a Playstation 5 that features brand new games (that can't be played on PS4/PS4 Pro) will have a much greater impact than a PS4 Pro Pro.

IMO, the console market needs these massive resets every once in a while. The only thing I'd like to see become standard is even with the reset, the new consoles can play the older games day one.

It can work if they simply transition Xbox to a service that can run on any type of hardware. Even PC hardware that you assemble yourself.

Basically, have them create a proper steambox with broad software support and an Xbox UI.

Space_nut

It's neither. It's not a pro because that will die along side ps4, and it's not a new generation because ms development model is changing towards what we see on pc.

This is the future I believe and want. No more leaving millions of potential gamers behind and letting devs prosper even more. It'll make the whole industry thrive even further

This sentiment has confused me for a bit now. Isn't the Xbox One still trending above year over year numbers that the Xbox 360 did? I'm sure Microsoft would love for it to do as well as PS4, but that doesn't mean it's a catastrophic failure... Math is hard.

Sure it was doing well ish but lets not kid ourselves, the competition is smashing that and MS higher ups and investors will be wanting to know why Xbox is only selling 26 million and not 50+ million like PS4 is. They are not doing it just for our benefit, it's a business to make lots of money at the end of the day.

Caayn

So then, an upgraded Xbox One doing away with 7-8 year generations altogether and just releasing incremental hardware refreshes?

Curious to see how it'll work out and if the market is willing to adapt to that model.
I hope it catches on, with the requirement that refreshes will be fully compatible with software released for the first iteration. Instead of generations we'll get a sort of leapfrog system. Where games are required to be compatible with the current and the previous system iteration.

It'll surely be in the consumers interested to not be forced to start from scratch when moving to new hardware, same goes for devs and publishers.

cackhyena

It can work if they simply transition Xbox to a service that can run on any type of hardware. Even PC hardware that you assemble yourself.

Basically, have them create a proper steambox with broad software support and an Xbox UI.
There's still a great many people who have no desire to deal with PC like machines. Make them as simple as you want. They won't be as simple as a closed system and they'll mean nothing to those people. Make them stupid simple and then...why didn't you just have a closed system again?

Theorry

This sentiment has confused me for a bit now. Isn't the Xbox One still trending above year over year numbers that the Xbox 360 did? I'm sure Microsoft would love for it to do as well as PS4, but that doesn't mean it's a catastrophic failure... Math is hard.

Sure its doing better. But a other console is doing way better.
Its like Football standings. A team does it better then last season when they got 66 points and won the championship. Now they do even better with 77 points. But they ended second in the standings. Sure they probably had a better season but at the end people only look at the standings.

Hoo-doo

Banned
There's still a great many people who have no desire to deal with PC like machines. Make them as simple as you want. They won't be as simple as a closed system and they'll mean nothing to those people. Make them stupid simple and then...why didn't you just have a closed system again?

Because Microsoft could pull out of the hardware game that way and just rake it in on percentage cuts off every game sold through the system. Let dedicated hardware makers worry about the hardware.
Thing is though, they are never going to allow Steam/GOG/Origin on their service even though their W10 store is a complete flop.

I really don't understand why this feels like a big deal for some, anyway and to make it clear, I remember Phil said that he believes in a big jump in case they wanna introduce a successor to XB1 and not in an incremental minor iteration. So it's not similar to PS4 Pro but more like a new gen
what the fook? This is MS's version of Pro. That's why this nonsense keeps spreading, because of posters like you. it's not a "new gen" at all. It's improved current generation games, at higher resolutions, better frame rates & effects, and VR support.

It's neither. It's not a pro because that will die along side ps4, and it's not a new generation because ms development model is changing towards what we see on pc.

Exactly. It will have more similarities with PC or mobile hardware, yet this will still be a video game console.

I think console gamers still want a console experience. MS has said that this is still a video game console, and that there's a difference between console and PC - different experiences. I don't think we'll see more than a few (and most likely just 2, low: Xbox One, High: Scorpio) concurrent fixed hardware configuration Xboxs in the market at any given time.

I don't think the model will work for consoles... I think a Playstation 5 that features brand new games (that can't be played on PS4/PS4 Pro) will have a much greater impact than a PS4 Pro Pro.

IMO, the console market needs these massive resets every once in a while. The only thing I'd like to see become standard is, even with the reset, the new consoles can play the older games day one.

The only impacts would be to the wallet and forcing gamers to upgrade at a time they say to and developers to start a fresh cycle on new hardware. The old way of doing things is too abrupt.

He can make his own threads then when he just tweeted something. :D

david-mitchell.gif

Chris1

Consider it noted! All good suggestions. I would say I think we've been pretty clear on the first point, despite the debates going on in this very thread.
The whole " but but it's a new gen right?" Is weird to me I don't even know where it started.

No doubt even after this further clarification people will still say that for some reason.

Sure its doing better. But a other console is doing way better.
Its like Football standings. A team does it better then last season when they got 66 points and won the championship. Now they do even better with 77 points. But they ended second in the standings. Sure they probably had a better season but at the end people only look at the standings.

I'm not denying that Microsoft needs/wants their own "all-star" console. I just think it's silly that some people think the Xbox One is basically Microsoft's Wii-U that needs to be ditched as soon as possible. They'll show their hand in time, but it really doesn't look like they're throwing the Xbox One in the trash and starting over with Scorpio. They really don't need to either.

SOR5

The whole " but but it's a new gen right?" Is weird to me I don't even know where it started.

No doubt even after this further clarification people will still say that for some reason.

Its "next gen" but not as you know it

A new generation is made by hardware that runs exclusive software that can't run in old systems... Scorpio won't be that

Will that happen anytime soon? I don't think that is MS's strategy going forward judging by some of their comments, what will Sony do with the PS5 I wonder?

cackhyena

Because Microsoft could pull out of the hardware game that way and just rake it in on percentage cuts off every game sold through the system. Let dedicated hardware makers worry about the hardware.
Thing is though, they are never going to allow Steam/GOG/Origin on their service even though their W10 store is a complete flop.
Rock and a hard place. I'm curious how well they are doing. Software attach rate can't possibly be as good as it was last gen for them. They aren't leading anywhere but they still do solid year over year, it seems.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think console gamers still want a console experience. MS has said that this is still a video game console, and that there's a difference between console and PC - different experiences.

They'd still get the exact same console experience if it was just an XB1 UI except with a bigger library and more storefronts.
It could detect what hardware you have running and optimize for that. Giving the user options to customize if they so desire.

PC gaming really isn't as hard as you make it seem. It's trivial.

Are people going to be upset if the Scorpio gets exclusive games?

Well, aside from VR games, it'll certainly put an awkward spotlight on their initial Scorpio reveal.

And seeing as Penello stated only minutes ago that they haven't diverted from their initial premise, i'm willing to guess it probably won't have exclusives.

Interfectum

The only impacts would be to the wallet and forcing gamers to upgrade at a time they say to and developers to start a fresh cycle on new hardware.

Well, yeah? Gamers rushing out to buy new hardware, devs trying new things with their brand new SDK, media frenzy about launch lineups, system shortages, controller changes, etc... the console market really benefits from this, IMO.

Yes there is zero chance that the metric by which Microsoft judges success/failure of Xbox is whether or not they are beating another company. They ran an analysis several years ago projecting sales of hardware, software, subscriptions, and determined a set of future cash flows that made the project something that they could green light and expect to make money on. Who knows if they are meeting those projections (they're always estimates based on many assumptions about the future), but it's likely they are at least content with how it's performing considering the aggressive pricing they've done.

Theorry

I'm not denying that Microsoft needs/wants their own "all-star" console. I just think it's silly that some people think the Xbox One is basically Microsoft's Wii-U that needs to be ditched as soon as possible. They'll show their hand in time, but it really doesn't look like they're throwing the Xbox One in the trash and starting over with Scorpio. They really don't need to either.

Oh agree yeah. Would be stupid also. They need a cheap version Xbox console next to Scorpio. If they can sell 1.5m console in US in december there is no need to ditch it at all.

If MR. PENELLO is out and able to speak with us, almost openly, about the next hardware, this means that they are preparing to announce an announcement! lol

GET READY BOYZ N GALS. YALL BUtTS ARE ABOUt TO BE STUNG BY A SCORPION!

tss tsssss

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
They have to be finalizing specs in the next couple of months.

This is why it was always crazy talk about the PS4 Pro getting some 11th hour hardware spec redesign/boost.

Shit needs to basically be done so you can then work on the details and manufacturing test runs and then work on getting units ready for the launch.

If Phil wasn't seeing some stuff at this time of the year I'd be worried honestly.

If MR. PENELLO is out and able to speak with us, almost openly, about the next hardware, this means that they are preparing to announce an announcement! lol

GET READY BOYZ N GALS. YALL BUtTS ARE ABOUt TO BE STUNG BY A SCORPION!

tss tsssss

Heh, joking aside I really do hope they decide to show their hand a bit earlier than E3. At the very least, give us some kind of hardware tease before the full show.

Theorry

They have to be finalizing specs in the next couple of months.

This is why it was always crazy talk about the PS4 Pro getting some 11th hour hardware spec redesign/boost.

Shit needs to basically be done so you can then work on the details and manufacturing test runs and then work on getting units ready for the launch.

If Phil wasn't seeing some stuff at this time of the year I'd be worried honestly.

I believe Shinobi said that devs are getting the dev kits in february. Could be wrong tho.
So that would mean it could be finalized already?

They'd still get the exact same console experience if it was just an XB1 UI except with a bigger library and more storefronts.
It could detect what hardware you have running and optimize for that. Giving the user options to customize if they so desire.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I think there will still be distinct Xbox consoles, and then Win10 PCs, which going forward will share a library. But things like BC 360 games, Xbox Live Gold, etc, those are things MS will likely want to continue with (360 BC is confirmed with Scorpio), but it would be really difficult to integrate those onto a PC platform

PC gaming really isn't as hard as you make it seem. It's trivial.

My intention was not to make it seem hard, and I don't think I did. I only pointed out that the experience is different, and some people have a preference for one or the other (or both). I was a hardcore PC gamer from 2002-2009, before transitioning back to console gaming - while I still play games on my pc sometimes, I prefer the console experience.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I believe Shinobi said that devs are getting the dev kits in february. Could be wrong tho.

I mean Microsoft of all people don't want another 3 red lights situation.

So you gotta have time to get shit right. You don't just finalize specs like a month in advance then magically shit out a box to retail.

leeh

People going to be upset if Xbox one holding Scorpio back.
Considering your PC post on the first page, surprised you've said this.

My laptop with a crappy mobile GPU just a tad better than a 360 can run FH3. I don't see my laptop holding anything back.

In my opinion the best thing that could happen with Scorpio is that it becomes a new gen console. Fully BC compatible with all the Xbox consoles and with new games that push the hardware to the limit.

The dev kits might not be final spec though and will be updated as time goes on. PS4 devs didn't know the PS4 would have 8GB RAM until they announced it, last minute, so nothing is 100% final this early.

yeah, because MS would have outright lied to everyone what this console is...And they aren't going to do that. Because this is Xbox 'Pro' lol

Honestly, so many "insiders" now speaking like they work for MS and telling everyone "What this is". I'm going to listen to Phil, who's said on multiple occasions, this is still an Xbox one. It's MS version of Pro, but the goals they wanted required a bigger hardware bump. They have been clear on this, and it's just fanboy speculation that's made it confusing.

Also, the posters saying MS is done with "generations" just reads like attempts to jazz up every strategy Phil or some other exec talks about. The market, dev community, tech innovations, etc... usually dictate when a new generation is required. It's something MS can just decide as if they own a monopoly on the gaming market. Something that can be accomplished with AI, a new graphical benchmark, VR, whatever, new hardware should be here for the foreseeable future. And it's perfectly fine to use the word generations when more powerful hardware, especially ones that usher in new tech innovations releases.

People are going to be upset no matter what. Scorpio is in a very strange place. People seem to want very different things from that hardware.
I just find it funny how so many in here are saying they figured out MS's plans like it's a plan everyone will be satisfied with. I wished it would get exclusive games. Phil said it won't so we'll see if he's a liar in the end. 🙊

People going to be upset if Xbox one holding Scorpio back.
Yeah, people will complain if it's being held back. If it gets exclusives people will say MS screwed them and lied to them. Anyways...I'm looking forward to the reveal and I'm hoping for good stuff.

Outrun

I mean Microsoft of all people don't want another 3 red lights situation.

So you gotta have time to get shit right. You don't just finalize specs like a month in advance then magically shit out a box to retail.

Surface Team aint fucking around with the design.

HardRojo

It'll be interesting to see the finalized Scorpio hardware and how much of an impact it makes on new and previous games. Reveal at E3 maybe?

RoKKeR

Also, overhaul the demos. Past two E3s the game segments demoed were probably not the best for people watching it online. That left people underwhelmed.
Totally agree about this. Should be a section of straight gameplay that speaks for itself. Sony does a great job of this and it really makes a better first impression.

Anyways, getting very interested to see how they reveal and craft an image around this new box. I think their vision for the future of the gaming division will become even more clear after this year's E3 - it's not about generations or the hardware, it's the "platform." It's the play anywhere on any box you like mentality that they will likely be doubling down on. Of course, the question then becomes at one point do you cut ties with the old box (XBO) to move the whole "platform" forward? I doubt we'll learn this year, bit their messaging could give us some clues as to how they view things in the future. Looking forward to learning more!

They specifically said 'nobody gets left behind' in the reveal video, so... yeah :p

But, I mean, people are going to get left behind sooner or later. There's no glorious post-generation future where every game works on every console. Backwards compatibility is one thing, but forwards-compatibility? The hottest AAA games of 2030 aren't going to be playable on a 17 year old Xbox One. At best you might get a console that has the best version of games for its generation, and then the worst versions of games for the next.

Super excited for Scorpio. Can't wait to see what MS has up their sleeves, presumably at e3. Personally I would have a 2 event approach. If I were Phil, I'd have a an event shortly after the Switch launches. First week of April in which they detail Scorpio, talk specs, sell us on why this is the next evolution of Xbox, explain who this console is for and how Xbox One/S owners won't be left behind. An event all about Scorpio. Also don't show the console.

At e3 you show the box, and you just focus on games after games after games. Reveal the launch lineup, reveal that OG Xbox games will also be BC, reveal new IP and upcoming games for 2018 and beyond. Show deals with 3rd parties that take advantage of the Scorpio hardware.

Doubt MS can nail all this, but if they can they'll be alright. At this point the ball is completely in MS' court. They have a huge warchest compared to Sony and it's all about dedicating the resources and making the best choices for the Xbox platform if they want Scorpio to succeed.

No repeat of 2013 with that awful messaging and PR, and no repeat of last year's e3 where certain MS execs weren't in sync with their messaging.

Top Bottom