• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Played my first games on early Scorpio unit."

viHuGi

Banned
I don't know what Phil's objective with this kind of tweet is?

Certainly not to sell more Xbox One's. To discourage people from buying a PS4 / Switch / PC? To hype up an existing Xbox fan base? Or is it just trolling for retweets?

To get people hyped maybe.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But it's a bit weird that you say that when their own reveal was basically 'look at these hot specs! It plays regular Xbox One games with super graphics and no-one is left behind!'.

I know, and i don't think they are on the right path. The scorpio's launch SHOULD be more than about just graphics, and it potentially could be, if MS actually listened to what people outside of MS are saying about what they need to do. They obviously wont win against the competition no matter what, but they can help Xbox become better than what it is now which IMO is probably the worst its ever been, even the nightmare days of the kinect 2011 to 2013 360 era

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Microsoft's hardware designers are at the top of their game right now between the S, Surface, Surface Studio and even the Lumias.

I can totally see Scorpio being squeezed into a box somewhere between the size of the S and the OG Xbox One with the power supply built in, which would be MORE than fine.

anothertech

I'm not saying i know what MS are or are not doing. I'm just saying they have the potential to make this launch far more than just about doing shallow PR of slightly more pixels or better graphics of games that you can get on their previous hardware for cheaper, or better on PC.

If they go in like that, they are going to fail miserably with this device.

...As we all know putting out new hardware into the marketplace traditionally brings in interest from the industry in a myriad of ways, look at the switch reveal.

MS should be aiming Scorpio with the intent of bringing to Xbox tons of new experiences along with that investment into Scorpio and surge of interest from their new console launch
They should. Absolutely. But in the months leading up to Scorpios launch, we've had the opposite. Cancelling risky games and blurring the lines between Xbox and PC.

I'm more worried the 'new experiences' will be VR based, with Rift ports to Scorpio being the focus, experiences already available on pc, instead of diverse and interesting ip's for the core fanbase.

E3 is where we will see their true focus. Not the Scorpio launch I think.

LostDonkey

It's not part of the xb1 family. It's part of the xbox family just like running the xbox app on a capable PC is and the game's will be compatible across systems.

Doffen

Wouldn't surprise me if the game Phil played on the Scorpio unit was Crackdown 3.

Feels like MS are doing what Nintendo did with Zelda and are holding back Crackdown 3 for a Scorpio launch title.

Forza Motorsport 7. Bank on it.

Microsoft's hardware designers are at the top of their game right now between the S, Surface, Surface Studio and even the Lumias.

Lol. Did they ever design a Lumia?

Cerium

Wouldn't surprise me if the game Phil played on the Scorpio unit was Crackdown 3.

Feels like MS are doing what Nintendo did with Zelda and are holding back Crackdown 3 for a Scorpio launch title.

Actually if Aonuma is to be believed, Nintendo delayed the entire Switch launch (probably intended for holiday 2016) to give Zelda time to finish.

sibarraz

Banned
I hope that at launch the scorpio improves all the important games that were released last year, like gow 4 or forza horizon 3.

ekim

That Albert Penello Tweet more than anything else sounds like a dedicated unveiling event is about to be announced. Or could just be some Xbox Wire update.

leeh

I know, and i don't think they are on the right path. The scorpio's launch SHOULD be more than about just graphics, and it potentially could be, if MS actually listened to what people outside of MS are saying about what they need to do. They obviously wont win against the competition no matter what, but they can help Xbox become better than what it is now which IMO is probably the worst its ever been, even the nightmare days of the kinect 2011 to 2013 360 era
How could it be more than graphics? What can a device, which plays the same games as its predecessor, bring to the table over than better graphics?

Everyone wants Scorpio for the pretty graphics. Don't talk crap to bring negativity in here, although, it wouldn't be a Scorpio thread without one.

Doffen

That Albert Penello Tweet more than anything else sounds like a dedicated unveiling event is about to be announced. Or could just be some Xbox Wire update.

They've been tweeting about Scorpio ever since E3. It's most likely just a "this is the year" thing.

Trojan

I feel like they have to call the final unit Scorpio now. It's pretty catchy and anything else will be a disappointment.

Tall Paul

Id be happy for a design mimicking the 'S' to be honest, love that thing, as others have said, it was right from the way it was packaged to the actual console itself, the reveal video from E3 last year seemed to indicate a similar design toward the end as well, but that could have just been filler,

LostDonkey

How could it be more than graphics? What can a device, which plays the same games as its predecessor, bring to the table over than better graphics?

Everyone wants Scorpio for the pretty graphics. Don't talk crap to bring negativity in here, although, it wouldn't be a Scorpio thread without one.

Because they've already said that it is going to provide premium VR, something that an XB1 cannot do. That's more than just graphics. That means Scorpio exclusive experiences.

ekim

They've been tweeting about Scorpio ever since E3. It's most likely just a "this is the year" thing.

"Get ready" sure sounds like something happening rather soonish.

Btw: they should announce Minecraft 2 with VR support as a launch title.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I agree with you. But acting like Scorpio is the thing that's going to fix all Microsoft's problems is wishful thinking, plain and simple. It's an upgraded XB1.

You still didn't explain why Scorpio means that Microsoft is all of a sudden going to lean into brand new IP's and franchises when they've never even showed any intent towards that. They seem more reliant than ever on their core franchises and the new IP's they've fostered with XB1 haven't panned out so far. Why would that now change?

spons

Gold Member
Why not call them "Xbox One" games then? Seeing as Scorpio is supposed to be part of the XB1 family. It almost as if Spencer is being deliberately vague.

I agree on his second tweet being somewhat vague, but don't forget that Microsoft tries to make Spencer more human than marketing on Twitter, just like Larry Hryb. They try to blend in with the gaming community, trying to spin whatever they've just heard from the marketing department into something the average Xbox gamer can digest.

If you look closely at the tweets Spencer put out himself (non-retweets), you can almost always see his spin: teams doing "great work", him seeing "great things", "awesome games", or even thanking game press outlets for their "good work".

What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't try to put much thought in Spencer's Tweets. Threads like these always start with hype, then trying to figure out what Phil actually means with his two-sentence less than 140 character messages on Twitter.

Inuhanyou

Its weird how you say i'm talking negative when i personally feel i'm being pretty positive, trying to advocate for constructive criticism and what MS should be doing to be successful in tandem with their marketing for this new device.

The launch and advertising of Scorpio should be about helping the Xbox brand with better games and new direction as much as it should be about the device itself.

This matters even more when Scorpio will not have its own games, the library has to be rejuvenated in general beyond what we already know is coming

MilkyJoe

I agree with you. But acting like Scorpio is the thing that's going to fix all Microsoft's problems is wishful thinking, plain and simple. It's an upgraded XB1.

You still didn't explain why Scorpio means that Microsoft is all of a sudden going to lean into brand new IP's and franchises when they've never even showed any intent towards that. They seem more reliant than ever on their core franchises and the new IP's they've fostered with XB1 haven't panned out so far. Why would that now change?

It's a start, is it not?

bombshell

And you've been waiting anxiously since 2013 to use that bookmarked post. Today is that day, lol.

Nah, I haven't. It's just impossible to not think of his hilarious PR lies on here in 2013 whenever I see his name. Also who uses bookmarks these days? There's something called Google.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don't know what Phil's objective with this kind of tweet is?

Certainly not to sell more Xbox One's. To discourage people from buying a PS4 / Switch / PC? To hype up an existing Xbox fan base? Or is it just trolling for retweets?

I think he just tweeted something he is excited about without overthinking it.

sibarraz

Banned
At least I'm glad that this console will be designed with gaming as the principal focus, I think that the vision that mattrick has of the one affected negatively the hardware of the console, while damaging the brand of the console in the process, so the scorpio will be a good reset for the brand

Inuhanyou

I already said i dont know what MS will or will not do.

My point is advocating for what they should do along with Scorpio for maximum penetration and hype factor. And that is really invest in their dead IP's and attempt to cultivate some of the studios they have neglected or forced into working on nonsense.

This whole Scorpio PR stunt is an attempt to regain traction for the Xbox brand in general that has been beaten badly recently. So why not encompass the Scorpio push along with a reset and rethinking of the core strategies so far at every level?

Jumeira

Banned
But have you ever heard any department head at any large corporation tweet something like this? Apple, Sony, Nintendo, even other depts at MS.

This is more in line with line a start up company that does not strong industry connections yet that is trying to get attention. Attention of the rest of the industry. Attention of venture capital. Attention from potential partners etc. It just seems weird to me for head of Xbox to use twitter for this purpose.

I guess the only other person I can think of who does this is Elon Musk. But he kind of runs his company like a start up too.

This is why its so refreshing, and why Phil is well liked amongst the fans. He's the head thats happy to have a casual chat here and there. Theres no other reason other than feedback to the base, look at the amount of threads we have for Scorpio. Theres tons of speculation. We have nothing to go by, now we know its reached a milestone. Seems like your trying hard to attach a sinister reason behind this, and its not there. Look at the fans, they love this side of Phil, its purely for them.

timmyp53

Is that all you care about?? There's more to scorpio than just graphics

It's not just a console.

It's
4KV44MD.gif

Ahasverus

The Scorpio is not just about the console itself. Scorpio's launch as a 'statment of intent' has the potential to 'reset' MS's intentions in regards to how they do business. More first party investments in new studios, less reliance on safe franchises, more looking into their own portfolio of IP's they are sitting on ect.

Think outside the box, its not just about the power of the HW. If MS play their cards right, it could be about signalling a real rethinking of their strategy about catering to their fans.
Oh you sweet summer child.

sibarraz

Banned
A start to upgrading the hardware of their XB1. For sure.

For the rest? Not really. They haven't been making sounds alluding to a radical change in business strategy at all.

We should wait until the unveil of the scorpio or e3 to make that conclusion

Actually if Aonuma is to be believed, Nintendo delayed the entire Switch launch (probably intended for holiday 2016) to give Zelda time to finish.

Maybe but I heard the game was ready to go a while ago but who knows for sure.

I still think Crackdown 3 will be a Scorpio launch game though, as we still haven't got a release date yet and the leak about it having development problems makes me think we won't be seeing it early 2017. Scorpio will need some good launch games too, so it makes sense to have, what is probably MS's biggest upcoming 1st party game right now, on Scorpio day 1.

geordiemp

Dont know what to think, is a zen APU been leaked to be close to ready ? There would of been some leaks on semiconductor boards of a Zen APU ?

If not, what are they using, an intel CPU or a stand alone AMD CPU ?

Would not be surprised if its just an equivalent target spec PC

Is Scorpio their PS4 Pro, or a new generation? I am super confused.
it's there Pro, Phil has literally said it's still an Xbox one. It's coming out later so it will be more powerful than Pro. GAF confuses you, MS has been pretty clear on this box besides the first week of interviews that got got cleared up pretty quickly

KORNdoggy

At least I'm glad that this console will be designed with as the principal focus, I think that the vision that mattrick affected negatively the hardware of the one, so the scorpio will be a good reset for the brand

if they maintain compatibility with the xbox one they won't be able to break away enough for this to be a reset in any sense of the word. assuming they market this the way it was announced. as an xbox one PRO.

Top Bottom