• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Played my first games on early Scorpio unit."

Ok I don't know who this Albert guy is, but can we PLEASE get a proper Banjo Threeie game in the vein of Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie? If not maybe another developer can make it? I miss Banjo Kazooie so much. I know Yooka Laylee is coming, but they can't replace the bird and the bear. Guuuhuhhhh.

ekim

818d8715309d01cf4d4d1c1c177c5b1f.gif

What do you prefer to ease off?
Practicing Zen or running like a Jaguar

All this guy does is talk. he never has nothing to show for it. Xbox has regressed a lot since he's taken over.

Only for them to be canceled.
Oh it's totally regressed and they should never have went away from the path that Mattrick laid out. That totally was the way to go /s

One game was cancelled. One.

Is anyone this salty about Guerilla Cambridge being closed the same week?

Is Scorpio their PS4 Pro, or a new generation? I am super confused.

All consoles now are x86 PCs and the architecture will remain the same, that's why Sony was able to quickly iterate on the PS4 and make a beefier version of it.

Scorpio is a next-gen machine with the added benefit that all your old games will still be compatible. From this point on, similar to PCs, you'll not lose your library when you buy a next-gen system. I guess since NeoGAF is confsued, Microsoft will need to do a little work to make it clear to everyone that Scorpio isn't just a half-assed upgrade (which the PS4 Pro kinda is...), but a full blown next-gen machine that's just backwards-compatible to your current library.

EagleEyes

All according to plan, no? The only reason he makes these tweets is to keep Xbox in the headlines, because goodness knows there's not much else going on for them.
You should just concentrate on your Push Square content instead of looking like an immature fanboy on this forum. Its not a good look for you.

SOR5

All consoles now are x86 PCs and the architecture will remain the same, that's why Sony was able to quickly iterate on the PS4 and make a beefier version of it.

Scorpio is a next-gen machine with the added benefit that all your old games will still be compatible. From this point on, similar to PCs, you'll not lose your library when you buy a next-gen system.

Straight from the Ori man himself

Xbox Two isn't some completely different beast with different games and different accessories

Scorpio IS Xbox Two, soon as you look long term you'll see its role, what do you guys think will be the next console after Scorpio? Some tragically different thing altogether? It'll just be the Scorpio but better

Gradly

If he said that, it would have been everywhere. You must be misremembering.

This is the original quote:

"I’m not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we’re going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said .... If we’re going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people – an upgrade."

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...e-and-a-half-says-xbox-boss-phil-spencer.aspx

Mix of both as usual. Being excited about your job and wanting to connect with people via social media to talk about it is a strange new concept.
Phil is a really shitty target for that ire too. For a guy at such a high level in his company, he always has seemed authentic and invested to me.

bigol

That is weird because...

MS is doing the same than Sony with Pro but using more GPU units and possible clocks... Vega is a improvement over Polaris, it is not a new AMD GPU tech and its big advantage lies in the new cache/memory controller that won't be used on Scorpio... Pro's GPU have some Vega improvements too (because the AMD GPU tech improved since Polaris release).

About the CPU people expect Zen but this prototype is not Zen because AMD is working to release Zen discrete (desktop and server) CPU yet... Zen's APU is not ready yet... what left for MS is of course a Jaguar based APU with better clocks.

That is what AMD has to offer to MS for Scorpio... Jaguar based APU with 6TFs running at better clocks than Pro's APU... MS work will be how to cooler the system so I expect a big fan and case like original XB1.

Pro is $399.
It sold 238k in US December alone... it is over 500k in US + ~150k JP + ??? rest of the world... possible over 1m WW.

Pro or Scorpio won't sell like the cheaper options... it was crazy to thing that... while the Pro sales are below what I expect (I was expecting 2m WW in 2016) it is not bad in any way... a $399 premium machine selling 1m WW facing supply issues is pretty good.

If Scopio do that it will be really great for MS.

Those numbers maybe good for Sony that is selling a lot of Slims, but won't be good enough for Microsoft considering the base Xbox One sales. Scorpio should sell 5-6 mln units in one year to be considered successful, something that i think it's impossible to achieve.

Anyway,let's see how things will go.

Straight from the Ori man himself

Xbox Two isn't some completely different beast with different games and different accessories

Scorpio IS Xbox Two, soon as you look long term you'll see its role, what do you guys think will be the next console after Scorpio? Some tragically different thing altogether? It'll just be the Scorpio but better

That's why it isn't next gen, because there is no gen for MS anymore, it's newer Xbox, that's it.

Theorry

If he said that, it would have been everywhere. You must be misremembering.

Like the other has posted he said that. He said they also considered a upgrade this year like the Pro but found the the step to small and they could make the step (4K) they wanted in 2017.

Scorpio is a next-gen machine with the added benefit that all your old games will still be compatible. From this point on, similar to PCs, you'll not lose your library when you buy a next-gen system. I guess since NeoGAF is confsued, Microsoft will need to do a little work to make it clear to everyone that Scorpio isn't just a half-assed upgrade (which the PS4 Pro kinda is...), but a full blown next-gen machine that's just backwards-compatible to your current library.

In what way is the Pro half-assed? Only because of the comparatively weak specs or some other reason?

If Albert Penello is still around:

When Scorpio is unveiled make sure the message is crystal clear. Is this a next gen machine or an upgraded Xbox One?

What are the specs? Why should I buy it over a Pro/One S?

Hopefully something big is coming at the same time like Crackdown 3. As someone that barely plays my Xbox, I'm really looking forward to that and Sea Of Thieves. I'm tired of hearing Gears and Forza and Halo.

A big part of the reason Sony is staying ahead is because they have a ridiculous amount of variety that Xbox simply doesn't compare to. Always quality over quantity, but there has to be some variety too. Everybody wants a new (and good) Crackdown. It's been a long time. People are cautiously optimistic about Sea Of Thieves and hope it's not the next No Mans Sky, so getting info out about that game and what you'll actually be doing in it should also be a high priority imo.

Very basically I think we need games games games and a clear message about as much as is possible.

Thanks for reading this if you do.

otakukidd

... I don't know considering the only things they have said mean that it's exactly the same as the pro except for being a little more powerful.

Oh hot damn! Here's hoping that the finalized hardware looks as sleek as the Xbox One S. Does anyone else think MS is intentionally holding back 2017 game announcements to show them off as enhanced titles for Scorpio?

cackhyena

He definitely said words to that effect.

"I’m not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we’re going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers,"

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...e-and-a-half-says-xbox-boss-phil-spencer.aspx
Yeah that much I remember. I'm talking of it being a new gen. That implies XB1 users get left in the dust. I'm referring to that talk. He had to be careful of how he worded that. His talk of how beefy it is is what got me excited. E3 can't come soon enough.

The Scorpio is not just about the console itself. Scorpio's launch as a 'statment of intent' has the potential to 'reset' MS's intentions in regards to how they do business. More first party investments in new studios, less reliance on safe franchises, more looking into their own portfolio of IP's they are sitting on.

"More investment in new studios/games" is the Microsoft version of the Nintendo mantra "better 3rd party partnership". This song and dance has been going on for a decade. I believe it when I see it.

Some have said Crackdown 3.

That one seems like a definite! It'll be interesting to see how that game can look on Scorpio as the tech demo from a few years back was impressive. I'm thinking there might be a few things we haven't seen yet that they're intentionally holding out on. Even if they aren't, I'll be happy to buy one just for games like Battlefront 2.

New gen means no forward compatibility for Xbox One games, so that'd mean exclusive games for Scorpio and the One would be phased out. Which means if you want to play the newest Xbox games you have no other choice than buying the Scorpio.

If it's more like Pro but with a more significant jump in power, forward compatibility will still be in and nobody will have to buy Scorpio to play Xbox games. And this is the path MS officially is on.

That's all there is to it.

Trouble is though Xbox One is way behind in sales, more so than first thought and the Xbox One is hardly a resource of untapped power at this late stage. This no more generation thing is PR talk. Do people really think Xbox One is going to last 3-5 more years ? It has 1 or 2 years at most, giving it a standard 5-6 year lifecycle.

I think they will push for Scorpio to have backwards compatibility, to blur the lines between generations but if they really plan to support XB1 for a lot longer, games will suffer. You will either get more basic ports on the XB1 version or the Scorpio will be held back. 3rd party developers won't always take full advantage of Scorpio's power if they have to support the older hardware too, just like some haven't taken full advantage of the PS4 Pro, it would be a waste of all that power.

amdb00mer

Lttp Phil, I played mine way ahead of you, it's call PC.

I'll be sending you a medical bill as your comment made me roll my eyes so hard I passed out and fell out of my chair and hit the floor. I had to be rushed to the hospital for a concussion.

Zedox

I mean this with 100% sincerity – I really do. There really are some fascinating insights into our strategy that I appreciate reading. And some really good debates on topics where I learn a lot about what's important to you guys.

There is also a ton of stuff I have to wade through.

In all, it's always super entertaining.

You mean the strategy of bringing PC gamers and console gamers closer together to have "One" Xbox community (that goes with the One Microsoft strategy). Everyone using Windows 10 devices (including Xbox One, S, Scorpio, PC) but at different "power levels" and capabilities if you will and sharing all of the same accessories. Getting devs to use UWP instead of the Xbox One SDK in order to make games across all of those devices (and other unannounced devices...powered by ARM) using the same tools. Never really having to "start over" with "generations" and have Xbox device platform akin to mobile/pc strategy.

You mean the strategy to get people to use the Windows Store not only on PC but also on Xbox and getting as much MAU as possible to show engagement in games to not only publishers (so that they should make Play Anywhere games, which is a differentiator to your competitors but also helps bolster users to stay in games and maybe buy more DLC/MTX for profits) but to your bosses so that they can read the "health" of the platform. Also apart of the strategy to get people used to the Windows Store and give feedback to it in order to make it better, also attract the growth sector of the PC market.

You mean the strategy to get broadcasting and tournaments (a huge market) to use your software and that's why you guys are building it into Windows. To make it easier for users but also get a good piece of that market and associate esports with MS. I also think either bringing out a new Kinect or call it something else "Beam cam" for broadcasters on consoles/PCs could be something you could do in order for those users to really rely on your service.

The strategy of having customizable controllers, a pro controller to get a section of the market who really like custom and pro stuff?

Basically what I see is that MS is trying to get every piece of the "core" gamer and game dev and have a place for them to give them the biggest reach and the most engagement with gaming. Not a bad strategy. We'll see how it goes.

Am I right?

EDIT:

Also the part of bringing some of that new guide look and feel to the PC. Bringing overlays. Bringing KB/M to Xbox consoles. Having how you want to play accessible. It doesn't matter the device.

cackhyena

I want a new Splinter Cell that blows me away visually the way Chaos Theory did again. Give me that third party delight at E3, Phil. Doesn't hurt that it was an awesome game too.

If Albert Penello is still around:

When Scorpio is unveiled make sure the message is crystal clear. Is this a next gen machine or an upgraded Xbox One?

What are the specs? Why should I buy it over a Pro/One S?

Hopefully something big is coming at the same time like Crackdown 3. As someone that barely plays my Xbox, I'm really looking forward to that and Sea Of Thieves. I'm tired of hearing Gears and Forza and Halo.

A big part of the reason Sony is staying ahead is because they have a ridiculous amount of variety that Xbox simply doesn't compare to. Always quality over quantity, but there has to be some variety too. Everybody wants a new (and good) Crackdown. It's been a long time. People are cautiously optimistic about Sea Of Thieves and hope it's not the next No Mans Sky, so getting info out about that game and what you'll actually be doing in it should also be a high priority imo.

Very basically I think we need games games games and a clear message about as much as is possible.

Thanks for reading this if you do.

Consider it noted! All good suggestions. I would say I think we've been pretty clear on the first point, despite the debates going on in this very thread.

Consider it noted! All good suggestions. I would say I think we've been pretty clear on the first point, despite the debates going on in this very thread.

Also, overhaul the demos. Past two E3s the game segments demoed were probably not the best for people watching it online. That left people underwhelmed.

Trouble is though Xbox One is way behind in sales, more so than first thought and the Xbox One is hardly a resource of untapped power at this late stage.

This sentiment has confused me for a bit now. Isn't the Xbox One still trending above year over year numbers that the Xbox 360 did? I'm sure Microsoft would love for it to do as well as PS4, but that doesn't mean it's a catastrophic failure... Math is hard.

Hoo-doo

Banned

So then, an upgraded Xbox One doing away with 7-8 year generations altogether and just releasing incremental hardware refreshes?

Curious to see how it'll work out and if the market is willing to adapt to that model.

I mean this with 100% sincerity – I really do. There really are some fascinating insights into our strategy that I appreciate reading. And some really good debates on topics where I learn a lot about what's important to you guys.

There is also a ton of stuff I have to wade through.

In all, it’s always super entertaining.

Get Phil to set up an account for on here, Albert.

Whats the worst that could happen..... lol

Interfectum

So then, an upgraded Xbox One doing away with 7-8 year generations altogether and just releasing incremental hardware refreshes?

Curious to see how it'll work out and if the market is willing to adapt to that model.

I don't think the model will work for consoles... I think a Playstation 5 that features brand new games (that can't be played on PS4/PS4 Pro) will have a much greater impact than a PS4 Pro Pro.

IMO, the console market needs these massive resets every once in a while. The only thing I'd like to see become standard is, even with the reset, the new consoles can play the older games day one.

Ushay

Oh hot damn! Here's hoping that the finalized hardware looks as sleek as the Xbox One S. Does anyone else think MS is intentionally holding back 2017 game announcements to show them off as enhanced titles for Scorpio?
I absolutely do think they have titles waiting for Scorpio launch.

When do people here finally stop about this nex gen talk. I thought all people here are smart and intelligent.

Classic console generations are dead (at least for Microsoft)
You only have new hardware (call it generations when you need, because you like the word so much) like intel, AMD and NVidia upgrade.
The games and os will evolve and carry seamlessly over just like steam and windows 10.

Xbox going forward
games the same like on steam
Os the same like Windows 10
Hardware incremental like ps4 pro, just with a bigger more worth wile bump, so it makes a different.

So everyone who doesn't understand (I know the most people here just pretend) Scorpio seem to not understand steam, windows 10 and the ps4 pro

Top Bottom