• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Project xCloud will come to Xbox Game Pass

Great to trial games quickly to see if you want to install or buy after an instant session. Also great to play right away while installing too. Shit it's solid to even stream on another device or not install on a secondary Xbox/device/PC in the house. I'm not a fan of the technology (yet) but it has benefits away from the hyper competitive latency based online multiplayer or cloud based campaign type games.

Another feather in the cap of Xbox, fuck they're looking good these days.

Last edited:
Great news for people using the service, though I'm really not surprised. They weren't building it up to be more than it was unlike Google, and now it will be another nice bonus on a service that is already way better than its asking price suggests.

If Microsoft thinks it's a good idea I'm happy to let them give me more games than I can play and services than I can use for the price they're asking.

If they realise it's not working and restructure the service or change the price, I'll also re-evaluate the service value and go from there. I can leave the service at any time so if they do things I don't like I'll vote with my wallet. Amazon Prime in the US is a great service with many perks, up here in Canada Prime has been getting worse and worse, with many of the perks having been taken out, and Prime TV taking on a cable-style channel system that sucks ass. If Gamepass follows this path, then I'll kick it to the curb. Until then, I have nothing but praise for Microsoft in regards to Gamepass.

Microsoft has been making a lot of good moves this year. Don't fuck it up!

Last edited:
Doesn’t this mean you can subscribe to GamePass and (eventually) play that entire library on any device without ever owning an Xbox? Opening up the service to the masses who would never actually buy a console?

Add in the ability to purchase non-GamePass games on your Xbox ID as well and third parties suddenly have a massive new audience too? Yes it’s streaming, but that group won’t really care...

Microsoft definitely thinking differently these days, can’t way to see how it works out for them.

Yeah, but I'll take The Patriots fan bragging about Super Bowl wins over the Dallas Cowboys fan bragging about how much their organization and owner are worth because their team hasn't produced hardly anything worthwhile in the last 25 years.

I’ll choose to disregard them both as idiots instead of comparing their dick sizes thanks.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Doesn’t this mean you can subscribe to GamePass and (eventually) play that entire library on any device without ever owning an Xbox? Opening up the service to the masses who would never actually buy a console?

Add in the ability to purchase non-GamePass games on your Xbox ID as well and third parties suddenly have a massive new audience too? Yes it’s streaming, but that group won’t really care...

Microsoft definitely thinking differently these days, can’t way to see how it works out for them.

I think this is their goal entirely. Accessibility is their focus. I believe this was Sony's original idea with Gaikai and Now by implementing a PS Now app on devices everywhere but for whatever reason it never moved past a few TVs and phones.

JLB

Banned

Bingo!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've seen the little clip-on concept they did a couple years back, and of course they push using your normal controller with a clip, but MS should do more a pocket controller. Something like a telescoping Ipega controller. My son has an Ipega Spider and it's really comfortable having the controls on the side, but something more compact would be cool. Like this...

NQhMrnC.jpg

You could stream your next-gen games right to your phone sitting in your living room without ever owning a XSX.

Last edited:
The real fanboys care about how much money the parent company is worth - not which sells more consoles or has the better games. Right?
Yes i care about Microsoft since i am primarily a PC Gamer who uses Windows 10 and i also have Gamepass for PC so yes i care since im invested in those services lol

I disagree. PSNow doesn't let you stream your library to mobile devices including from your console . What MS is offereing here is several steps beyond PSNow. Never mind that first party games will be available to stream day one (logical result of combining xcloud and GP). If anything it's Sony that should feel challenged and step their game up and by quite a lot.
According to FoxyGames UK, Sony has dozens of PS5 'secrets' to keep dropping regularly throughout 2020 to constantly harass Microsoft. One of which is VRS.

That's the whole idea that Microsoft wants to sell their games w/o requiring the console. Let's face it, Xbox is never going to be mega-successful a s a console ever again. So the only way forward is to make Game Pass huge. GP on XBox, Windows 10, Android and other devices(not Playstation). Make it truly the Netflix of Gaming.

Last edited:

yurinka

I wonder what is going to be the subscription price for streaming xCloud games from MS servers, both paid on top of the Game Pass subscription and separatedly, and the amount of games that xCloud will support.

And now that they will want to compete with PS Now, if they plan to increase the number of Game Pass games because their 100+ games sound way smaller than the PS Now 700+ games.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I wonder if 3rd parties would put any restrictions or if this will limit any 3rd parties going on GP.

Good for MS though either way. Sony still has the game but I think they are getting a bit arrogant. Priceing is going to be key though.

It does feel though that having an XBOX is more of an after thought if you want to be part of the MS eco system. MS seems to not care if you get an XBOX ONE X, Lock Hearts, Series X or a PC. This could combat any pricing model sony comes out with.

Jesb

This could be Microsoft‘s entry into a dedicated handheld. But doubtful since they won’t need you to buy their hardware to play on.

Sweet! This past week I was bored and wanted to price check gaming pc's. Wound up at ibuypower and played with their pc part builder and an i7 with 2070ti 8gig ram 1tbssd was 1900$. Told myself I'll wait a few months to get similar specs for 1/3 the price and now I'll be able to play gears tactics on my shitty lappy anyways.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've seen the little clip-on concept they did a couple years back, and of course they push using your normal controller with a clip, but MS should do more a pocket controller. Something like a telescoping Ipega controller. My son has an Ipega Spider and it's really comfortable having the controls on the side, but something more compact would be cool. Like this...

NQhMrnC.jpg

You could stream your next-gen games right to your phone sitting in your living room without ever owning a XSX.

This needs to happen. No mainstream player will ever take Xbox portability seriously as long as you, lol, have to clip a phone on a controller you carry everywhere with you.

Enthusiasts will absolutely do it. I would do it. But they need a real, official solution, coming from Microsoft’s superb first party engineering and controller design.

Gravemind

There is no catch. There is no premium. There is only Gamepass. Every Xbox feature enclosed into one monthly service. That is the model.

Brilliant. Love it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
This needs to happen. No mainstream player will ever take Xbox portability seriously as long as you, lol, have to clip a phone on a controller you carry everywhere with you.

Enthusiasts will absolutely do it. I would do it. But they need a real, official solution, coming from Microsoft’s superb first party engineering and controller design.
There is the Razer Kishi. Phil Spencer once tweeted that he was using a prototype and was impressed with it.

razer-kishi-1200x630.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nice.

Eventually they'll have to raise the price, but that is to be expected.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
The potential of streaming to any number of devices is huge and there should be a major push next gen, very exciting times.

wolywood

With PS Now you can technically download games to your PS4 then use the Remote Play app to stream them to your phone. I used this method to play Control on my Galaxy S10 last night. Not as simple/elegant as the xCloud app but it definitely works.

Arkam

" We have asked Microsoft to clarify whether Project xCloud will be included gratis as part of the regular subscription, or will be an added "tier," like Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. "

Was there a clarification ever? Cuz I am in the group that expects this to be a new service sku. Other wise DAMN is MS really going for the long play and making GP a hell of a deal despite operating losses. But hey Netflix bleed money for years and now look at them.

There is the Razer Kishi. Phil Spencer once tweeted that he was using a prototype and was impressed with it.

razer-kishi-1200x630.jpg

Would love to see Xbox quality of controller build into that sort of form factor. There's a ton of models out there so a unique solution to one size fits all would be tricky I reckon. Put the surface team on it,

Sota4077

NQhMrnC.jpg

I use Xcloud all the time doing exactly that, but I have that cheapo $9 clip on thing for my Xbox One controller you are talking about. It works fine, but it is a pretty inelegant solution in my opinion. I think it would be awesome if Xbox created a handheld device that was purpose built for streaming games over WiFi. I have been secretly hoping since day one that Lockhart is actually a Nintendo Switch like device rather than an in home console. If I could game in 1080p on the go I would be in heaven. Have an Xbox Series X at home and a Lockhart in my work bag for breaks and travel days. What a time to be alive that would be.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I use Xcloud all the time doing exactly that, but I have that cheapo $9 clip on thing for my Xbox One controller you are talking about. It works fine, but it is a pretty inelegant solution in my opinion. I think it would be awesome if Xbox created a handheld device that was purpose built for streaming games over WiFi. I have been secretly hoping since day one that Lockhart is actually a Nintendo Switch like device rather than an in home console. If I could game in 1080p on the go I would be in heaven. Have an Xbox Series X at home and a Lockhart in my work bag for breaks and travel days. What a time to be alive that would be.
Unfortunately, Lockhart will still be way over the power budget for a handheld. On the flip side, xCloud already supports most HID-compliant controllers, despite their marketing and messaging in xCloud app suggesting that you need an Xbox controller. I use a MOGA Pocket occasionally, but I need to get one of the more streamline telescoping Ipega controller that have the controls on the side like switch. I used Ipega 9087 for this mockup, just replaced the buttons and controls, and repositioned them.

Like mentioned above concerning Razer, MS might be content to just allow HID-compliant controllers and maybe partner with a 3rd-party company for an Xbox-branded controller. xCloud will be a huge deal, even/especially for people who don't own an Xbox or aren't part the Xbox ecosystem. The prospect of streaming XSX games right to your phone and having a next-gen experience with a console purchase is quite lucrative. I've been in on the Android beta for a while, and now I'm trying to get in on the iOS beta, but there's a substantial waiting period atm. This could bring in 10's of millions of users into the Game Pass/xCloud family.

frogger

The description said it allows streaming from your own xbox to your tablet. This is already possible with xbox app on andriod. Are they talking about remote? For example, if I am at work, I can stream my Xbox at home? if this is true, it would be a game changer.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The description said it allows streaming from your own xbox to your tablet. This is already possible with xbox app on andriod. Are they talking about remote? For example, if I am at work, I can stream my Xbox at home? if this is true, it would be a game changer.

That's what they are saying. You can remote to your box from anywhere.

Top Bottom