• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer refers to a $500 console + $70 For Games as a "Heavy Investment" for casual gamers

iHaunter

Personally I agree to a degree. But we are the hard-core. 11 year old kids with a fucking 32" TV in their bedroom will be A-Ok playing Fortnite and 2K with their friends on this.
What I meant, if people want next-gen and they are broke. They need to just wait for price drops. Getting an XSS is a waste of money IMHO. Esp when PS5 digital for $100 more is 2.3x the power. It makes no sense to buy it.

Rolla

Banned
The quote isn't very interesting at all.

What is interesting is your sizzling hot take that Phil Spencer should somehow dictate the prices of other people's products.

XBOX benefits from every game sold on their platform, retail or digital, via royalties.

Grinchy

Banned
I think $15 per month for an entire generation (without even bringing up the inevitable price hikes) is a way bigger investment.

In a 7 year generation like the one we just had, without even getting a price hike we all know is coming, $1260 to own nothing is way more than I paid throughout this generation. And you still have to buy games that aren't on gamepass on top of that $1260.

What I meant, if people want next-gen and they are broke. They need to just wait for price drops. Getting an XSS is a waste of money IMHO. Esp when PS5 digital for $100 more is 2.3x the power. It makes no sense to buy it.
If they don’t have the money they could just stay with there Xbox one
they play all new and old games

Convince your parents you need a new 4KHDR TV for your bedroom though.. better luck with the S tbh.

Cannot wait until I can spend gold to make Spencer stepdance for us. Dance, puppet dance!

Bro what manner of goblin are you? What does this mean? Phil has an only fans that only accepts gold ingots?

Last edited:

Aidah

Casuals aren't buying consoles and games day one anyway. i.e. they're not paying $500 and $70.

$500 + $70 + tax in FL USA would be - $612.75.

S and gamepass = $300 + $10 = $333.35

People with young kids and very casuals will have a choice.

Not me. I'm in for the big dogs.

Oppoi

Convince your parents you need a new 4KHDR TV for your bedroom though.. better luck with the S tbh.

Bro what manner of goblin are you? What does this mean? Phil has an only fans that only accepts gold ingots?

Happy are we, the few those who have seen him dance... oh how he danced for us! He dances! For all! For me! For you! If only you could watch him dance. If only you had some gold to spare...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Can’t argue with the guy, $500 is a lot especially for a casuals. I prob could get by with the cheaper S if I was a bit more causal. As is I could just play destiny and be fine. Good enough is fine some times.

Concern

He's right, I mean who wouldn't like to pocket at minimum $70 and have a library of games available at launch?

But they dropped the ball not having any exclusives for launch. Right now they're biggest hope is The Medium in December. They could have really capitalized big on This by having something to counter Sony imo.

jigglet

Banned
Gaming is a cheap hobby. Try scuba diving or drone racing
I'm doing all of them because I'm stupid :messenger_weary:

This is what I always say. What's one of the most common hobbies for people of this demographic? Cars. A single car part alone could cost more than a whole console. People spend more on mid-grade rims than a RTX3090 is worth. It's a relatively cheap hobby.

sainraja

I think it really just depends on how often people actually purchase games. Most people's game purchasing habits are likely not like ours. So for them it is a matter of paying a one time cost of $70 vs signing up for a recurring subscription. The landscape we have now is very friendly to subscriptions though so I guess it's really hard to say either way. I think the future will have subscription gaming of some kind for all platforms and Sony does have one right now, they're just not heavily investing in it but having their foot in will help them pivot if need be.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Bro if someone gave you a series X you probably couldn't bring yourself to play and enjoy it. That's how you get tags like that..🤣
I would if it had good exclusives which is what I care about most. MS starts making bangers then I have an excuse to buy their console. Pretty simple really. I want MS to be competitive.

Last edited:
He says for CASUAL gamers.

Anyone who claims $570 USD for a console + 1 game is not a big investment are blessed and I hope you continue to have success in the foreseeable future.

Casual gamer should have the ability to think.

So they can buy current gen consoles used and used games/wait for price drops.

If they are so casuals that they dont want to spend 500 for next gen, then why would they want to play latest games anyway?

And if they are so casuals, then gamepass + xss clearly isnt for them, casuals dont play hundreds of games and if xss+gp is 25$/month for 2 years = stupid casual would spend 24*25= 600$ into games they dont even play. And invest even more than 570$, but end with weak console without ability to buy used games.

smart casual would get ps4/xbone for 100-200$ used and have 400-500$ left for games. Or get that 500$ system and do what smart people do, buy games when they are cheaper.

This marketing talk for xss is just a scam "look, only xx$/month, incredible value with 300 games! From you play maybe 10, and pay more than smart consumers do in 7 years, but xx$(*12*7) is less than 5xx$, right!"

Let people buy 500$ or 50$ consoles and stop the bullshit mr phil.

SoraNoKuni

I swear Phill is on the wrong business, he is clearly a politician.

I used to like him even as a sony fan(I just like their offerings and philosophy of gaming a lot more)
But hey! If it works..

Oppoi

I swear Phill is on the wrong business, he is clearly a politician.

I used to like him even as a sony fan(I just like their offerings and philosophy of gaming a lot more)
But hey! If it works..

I picture him roaming used car lots asking random strangers if they need anything?

SirTerry-T

Does anyone else play this game, where if an XBox-centric thread has been created, you try and guess what most of the posts are going to say before you open the thread and read it?
I scored pretty highly on this one.

He's 100% right, he's talking about people who don't play a lot or follow games like us here. 500 and 70 per game then extra money for online per month for a guy who plays once a week is a pretty big investment for something you barely use.

LordCBH

But I’m willing to invest in what Sony has put out considering I loved the new god of war, ratchet is my favorite series, and I had a good old time with a ton of their releases. I like a lot of the IP’s Microsoft has, but this past generation hasn’t been that great to me from them. Gears 4 and 5 were more Gears, but I didn’t enjoy them as much as 1-3. Halo 5 was...Halo 5, Forza is always a fun time, but other than that they just haven’t out anything out that makes me go “I wanna buy this”.

I am certainly hoping they can deliver going forward though. Currently the most exciting thing they have to me is Avowed because I fucking love obsidian. With the studios they have, I think the future is bright for their first party titles, but they need to actually show that with some great titles.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
*Chefs kiss*

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Perfection.

I got you boo.

giphy.gif

People defending the price hike to 70 dollar games are retarded. Whatever machine you are on. When you got a company like Activision announcing over a billion dollars in revenue over the course of 3 months from microtransactions, and asking for more. What's wrong with you?

Why would casual gamers be trying to get into next-gen gaming at launch?
Why would "hardcore" gamers be buying entry level gaming boxes and not sternly in favor of gaming on a pc where their experience is customized to their preferences? The world may never know. If anything, consoles are the casual gamers toy. I would expect them to jump in first.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why would casual gamers be trying to get into next-gen gaming at launch?

That's... his point.

It's a sales pitch for Series S and supporting broke casual gamers via xCloud / Gamepass.. and of course MS has consistently preached supporting the current generation, although he left that part out since they got shit on for that while Sony pretended they weren't gonna support PS4 lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom