• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer refers to a $500 console + $70 For Games as a "Heavy Investment" for casual gamers

I don't get why people are melting down over what he said here. He's right.

$500 for a box is nothing if it's your primary hobby and you plan on spending hours a day in front of the TV. Gaming is among the most inexpensive hobbies/hour of entertainment there are unless you start buying top-tier PC parts. Even then it's still dirt cheap compared to hobbies like fixing up cars or building model kits.

For people who view gaming as a secondary hobby though, people that may only play a couple hours a week be they casual players, or people that have 3 kids and little/no time for example, buying a $500 console may seem like a steep price. $300 is easier to explain to the missus too.

A $300 box that you can stuff behind the TV and just play games off Gamepass is cheap and easy. Cheap and easy might actually attract casual audiences to the console right from day one.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Probably, but they also mostly stick to that and that stuff isn't exactly on Game Pass.
Exactly which is why casual gamers that only play sports games DO buy shit day 1. (but maybe not consoles)

It doesn't have to be expensive. The console prices are what they are, but I haven't paid full price for a game in years. There are going to be very few $70 game purchases for me in the coming generation, that's for sure.
I used to buy games at full price during their newly release... Now that I gotta be responsible money wise, I don't have that luxury anymore. I wait for a sale about half a year now. Unless I truly must have it, I will pay full price.

Aidah

Exactly which is why casual gamers that only play sports games DO buy shit day 1. (but maybe not consoles)
I honestly don't know what percentage of casuals are ones that only buy sports games and day one.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
He does speak the hard truth.
I never agreed why next gen needed to be raised to $70, and in EU €80 (price gouging your stronghold?)!

I rather they have a next gen console that is $600, with extra power.
Games remain the $60/€60 srp, which is already pricey!

Expensive games just kills the hobby and the out reach. 🤷‍♀️
I have stopped buying launch games since PC/Steam prices increased to console srp.

CEO trying to act like a relatable human:
Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

That being said, 70 usd will mean we pay our games between 85-90 in Canada... Which is going to push people to pirate more that's for sure.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The guy gotta sell his product.

Wonder how third parties feel about this though, and I wonder what’s the incentive for many third parties who aim to sell games outside Gamepass. I think attach ratio is going to tank hard in series x|s, but we will see.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Anyone wants to defend $90 Demons Souls edition here or $20 extra unlock for a weapon and armour that should be available for everyone ?

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm happy to make these kind of investments, if the games are of sufficient quantity.

People that are so casual I would suspect would be just as happy with a PS4 and just buying FIFA and CoD once a year and/or playing Fortnite for free.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Good guy Phil is right and he should give away XsX and gamepass for free for everyone, he has a heart of gold

Significant ban warning for console warring - report me

He is simply saying for casual gamers having an option as cheap as the Series S made sense.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Coming from someone as rich as him I appreciate this comment.

Great Hair

Banned
Why is he always trying to rewrite the rulebook?

He had a facial-spasm on camera not long ago, that might be the cause for his erratic behavior. Sadly can´t find the gif for comedic emphasis. Hopefully someone will quote me and amend my error!

DavidGzz

He's right. But apparently Xbox Series owners won't buy games? They'll only play what's on gamepass?

Not us hard-core gamers but imagine a parent of a child who mostly plays Fortnite. The kid will be content with Game Pass and his free 2 play games. The S and Game Pass is aimed at the casual. It will be amazing for even the hard-core once XGS starts pumping out the goods though.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Phil doesn't control what third parties charge for their games lol.

Phil has a $500 console, yes, but he also has a like USD$100 a year for 150 games deal too, which is a lot cheaper than $70 a game.

SilentUser

Nothing wrong with what he said. People should learn to analyze the facts and not getting blocked because of the hatred towards the messenger.

Am I willing to spend that money for a console? Yes. And what about the 70 bucks games? Yes, but only for a handful of exclusives.

But does my tastes makes him wrong? Hell no, there are a lot of people out there who can't spend much or doesn't care for that exclusive title. Phil is talking about them.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Start from the users perspective. What do these 'casuals' want to play? I'd guess Fortnite, FIFA, CoD, Madden, Fall Guys those kind of games.

Non of those are covered by Gamepass.

So then you decide on which hardware and ecosystem you want to buy into in order to play these. As they are 3rd party the games themselves will cost the same (RRP). So it is down to hardware costs, services and less tangible aspects (friends using either system, controller preference).

I think many of these casuals would just as easily pick a PS4 as they would any Xbox (1 or series).

Gamepass is great value, especially when they're giving it away, but they have to persuade people that are primarily interested in the kind of games I've mentioned why they should try and keep subscribed to it, when it will take them away from these games they either can play for free or have bought for $70 and want to get their value from.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well if you are casual fan of video game then you wouldn't care to buy the console and games day one, would you? I think they would even rather get the consoles second hand if possible.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Well if you are casual fan of video game then you wouldn't care to buy the console and games day one, would you? I think they would even rather get the consoles second hand if possible.
Maybe in the old days but with Sony never reducing the price of the ps4 299.99 a decade later like every other consoles second hand is a RIP off. I rather get a gimped series s for basically not much more than a second hand dead end console that is EOL.

v_iHuGi

Banned
That's where Ps5 Digital + Plus Collection come in for Casuals at 1st.

But Fortnite & many others are already F2P, thousands of BC games don't worry Phil, Playstation has all demographics covered.

Focus on selling more than 1 unit here in Europe.

What are you guy’s definition of casual exactly? I live in a pretty blue collar town, and no one really blinks an eye at 4-500$ for a PS or XBOX. Anecdotally, the COD/Fornite/FIFA families I interact with aren’t balking about these prices. They know there’s new consoles this fall, and want them with a game of two. I think there’s a distinction between casual gamers and value or cheap gamers.

Myths

He probably watched that video of the fake PS5 Home screen and read the comments. Lol. Everyone was complaining about the $69.99.

scalman

Not so heavy if that will be just some 3-5 games in year and rest will be bought later from deals for cheap.
3-5 its just for console exclusive ones ,rest will be played on pc and bought much cheaper from some cd keys sites for pc.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
If you have the money then a 500$ console and a 70$ game (that you can own and replay as many times as you want) is nothing.

If you don't have the money or don't want to give that much on day 1 you can always wait for a year and buy a 500$ console and a few year old games for 30$.

Problem solved.

And in any case lets not be hypocrites and pretend that everyone in this or the previous gens buyed all their games on day 1 and at full price shall we? ;)
This is what I don't get.

Why is he acting as if sales aren't a thing? The majority of my games are bought cheaply.

Jon Neu

Banned
Considering the fact Phil is bringing to market a $500 console and allowing third party to charge $70 for games I found this quote interesting.

I found interesting how you deliberately ignored how Phil also came with a 299 console intented for casuals, along with gamepass.

Top Bottom