• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer refers to a $500 console + $70 For Games as a "Heavy Investment" for casual gamers

AJUMP23

I don't know about America but in Europe you can usually buy whatever electronics you want in 10-20-30-40-50 month payment plan. And those are usualy 0% rate credit due to retailers running promotions all the time.

Also Microsoft offer is 120-180$ annual subscription for people who normally buy Fifa and play it for few years before moving to next instalment.

Most major retail stores offer no interest credit if you qualify. I don't know what the credit rating low is to qualify for interest free but probably around a score of 500. The way most of these plans work is you are getting a loan from a bank so the retailer gets their money immediately. If you fail to make a payment or do not pay it off during the payment terms you will then be charged all the interest that has been accruing during the loan.

Moogle11

Banned
Gaming is definitely an expensive hobby to be casually into, at least the higher end console and PCs. MS is smart to have the Series S there for casual people, people still on 1080p that would get less bang for their buck from a $500 console etc.

End of the day it’s of course just down to the combo of how much disposable income one has, how much they enjoy gaming and how much time they have to devote to it that determines whether the asking prices.

supernova8

Banned
Cause games don't cost $70 on Xbox next gen.

Can't charge $70 for next-gen if they don't have any next-gen games.
tenor.gif

teezzy

Banned
100% accurate

$70 is close enough to $100 to make it not be worth it for the average consumer who isn't a nerd

Senua

That same NON-every day gamer doesn't want to spend $300 on a console either.
Nobody wants to spend money except weirdo fanboys who suck corp shlong. They'd be way more likely to spend $300 than $500 tho to play the new FIFA tho ay

supernova8

Banned
The casuals are going to be playing the heavy hitter titles. FIFA, Madden, Battlefield, COD etc.

None of those will come to Game Pass until they're wholly irrelevant (e.g. FIFA 21 may come to GP after FIFA 22 is out), so the idea of Game Pass as a replacement for buying $70 is a load of fuuuuckin shiiiit.

It's a great idea to give people access to a wide range of titles Netflix style, but to suggest it's a replacement is just spaghetti bolognese.

Last edited:

Senua

How do people go through life feeling like this then? That sounds like what an entitled person would say.
What I meant was, who the hell wants to spend money, we do it because we have to for the things we want. for casual players they will take the lowest barrier of entry to play the games they want. The series S is for people that wana buy Fifa and cod every year

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
It's funny how everyone is going straight to the $500 Sony console comparing it to the $300 Xbox console and ignoring the console that is only $100 more than the Series S.

Fitzchiv

He's right, I'm not sure what the big deal is here? This gen is the first time I've comfortably bought a console at launch, and the first time I've not bargained with myself and tried to spot the best possible deal or trade in old kit to fund it. I earn a good salary, but £570 is a lot of money to anyone who's not going to pour a lot of time into it. Fact is with Covid, a baby due any day and having completed Netflix the only fucking entertainment I'll get is from a new console so it's fine!

I had a bit of a penny-drop moment yesterday watching Metal Jesus Rocks' most recent video. He'd gone to pick up a load of 360 games before they got taken off the shelves, and got a Medal of Honour game for like £0.50. He had no idea about the game but said something like "I'm pretty sure I can have some fun with this, even if it's only for a couple of hours and for fifty cents that's fine" - I've never really quantified it like that before, in terms of disposable "fun".

Playing video games is not an expensive hobby. I can play a cheap round of golf, buy a couple beers, balls, and it's easily 60-70 bucks and you're done in four hours. You can eat out at a restaurant and drop 30-40 bucks on just yourself and it's nothing fancy and it's over in an hour or so.

I hate how Xbox has marketed itself as some sort of cheap brand. The series s is a joke of a console. People can spend the extra two hundred bucks on something that's going to last the next 5-7 years.

I really wonder if they're going to penny pinch on game development. I don't know why a studio would drop 200 million on game development on a game that's going to be offered for free on a subscription service. Then of course they have to make sure it's playable on the shitty console.

This is not the right direction for games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Playing video games is not an expensive hobby. I can play a cheap round of golf, buy a couple beers, balls, and it's easily 60-70 bucks and you're done in four hours. You can eat out at a restaurant and drop 30-40 bucks on just yourself and it's nothing fancy and it's over in an hour or so.

I hate how Xbox has marketed itself as some sort of cheap brand. The series s is a joke of a console. People can spend the extra two hundred bucks on something that's going to last the next 5-7 years.

I really wonder if they're going to penny pinch on game development. I don't know why a studio would drop 200 million on game development on a game that's going to be offered for free on a subscription service. Then of course they have to make sure it's playable on the shitty console.

This is not the right direction for games.
This generation taught us that consoles don't last 5-7 years any more. Both Sony and Microsoft released new hardware halfway through this generation so there's no reason to think that it won't happen again. I can understand people being hesitant to drop $500 on a console when there will probably be new $500 revisions in 3 years.

This generation taught us that consoles don't last 5-7 years any more. Both Sony and Microsoft released new hardware halfway through this generation so there's no reason to think that it won't happen again. I can understand people being hesitant to drop $500 on a console when there will probably be new $500 revisions in 3 years.

Yea, but you absolutely didn't have to buy the new hardware, especially if you were gaming on a budget.

HeresJohnny

I'm certainly no fan of Spencer, but he's right. Most people don't care enough about this hobby to spend half a grand on a console that they may not even have a 4k television to reap the most benefits of. Not to mention that $70 for games is gonna be a hard sell too. I think Sony will be in for a rude awakening once they burn through the first 4-5 million early adopters.

InDaGulag

Must be a slow news day if these comments warrant an article. Then again click bait articles like these are common among sites like gamerant.

Top Bottom