• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer responds to Sony's 'dig' at Gamescom

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...say-about-sonys-xbox-one-shifting-message-dig

More at the link.

“The thing I love about the space we're in is you're always going to get feedback, whether it's on your Twitter feed, whether it's in NeoGAF, whether it's in Eurogamer,” Spencer said.

“People are going to tell you in comment threads how they feel about decisions.

“The two-way conversation we have with our customers is a strength. Certain people have tried to turn that into something that's a bad thing about what we're trying to do, and I just disagree."

Spencer explained his position: "We built a platform for gamers. Gamers invest their time and their money in the things they want to play, and they're going to invest their time in telling us what they love about the platform, and they're giving us feedback on areas where they have more critical feedback.

“That two-way conversation with gamers has to be core to who we are as a platform. And if we don't have the capability of listening and reacting to what people are saying about our platform, then we're being too disconnected from customers who make investments in our platform and the games we build.”

“The two-way conversation that we have with gamers is critical,” he said. "If we weren't able to listen then I don't think we're really creating the ecosystem that means people want to come into the platform.

"Other people will do and say what they're going to say. Fine. We're running our program. That's a strength of who we are."

venne

I'd rather they try new stuff than simply more of the same.

I can get much better performance on the PC than the consoles if that's the thing that matters to me.

NeoGAF shoutout!!
3AQmK.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
“The two-way conversation we have with our customers is a strength. Certain people have tried to turn that into something that's a bad thing about what we're trying to do, and I just disagree."

There were months of leaks and the whole Adam Orth scandal where they could see reactions and change things before anything was even announced. They basically put their fingers in their ears before preorders came in. I'm glad they changed stuff and I don't hold stuff like the 180s against them but don't try to pretend you were listening or that you didn't write off our complaints as just angry nerds on the internet.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Spencer explained his position: "We built a platform for gamers. Gamers invest their time and their money in the things they want to play, and they're going to invest their time in telling us what they love about the platform, and they're giving us feedback on areas where they have more critical feedback.

“That two-way conversation with gamers has to be core to who we are as a platform. And if we don't have the capability of listening and reacting to what people are saying about our platform, then we're being too disconnected from customers who make investments in our platform and the games we build.”
You weren't listening in the months leading up to the reveal.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Eh. It's as much of a conversion as backing off and apologizing to someone when you step on their toes.

FranXico

Oh, NOW it's a two-way conversation!

That was not the case a few months ago...

Tell you what, Microsoft. I am definitely not going to buy the XBox One for the next year or two.

Deal with it.

Yep, there were a lot of conversations going on before you made your announcements. The type you're talking about that goes on in forums and comments sections and such. A LOT.

And you didn't listen to any of them. Until those preorder numbers came in....

Hindle

Banned
It took Sony 3 years to sort out the PS3s problems. In comparison MS have started right away, so I'm not sure why Sony even commented.

They didn't listen until after the dust of pre-orders settled though. They still aren't listening.

They were forced to change or be a complete laughing stock and feel like throwing money at everything can make us happy enough to forget their 'feedback receiving' period.

I am happy they are changing their policies to be better for us but it's hard to mistake their intentions and actions when it doesn't line up with anything they say.

longdi

Banned
Blah blah blah...you guys tried your darn best with crazy DRM bullshit...thought you got away with Live pay2play and so your hardcore fans will buy your DRM plans...

I dont even think dropping the price to 399 will change the sour taste in my mouth.

X180 is a badly run project imo.

There were months of leaks and the whole Adam Orth scandal where they could see reactions and change things before anything was even announced. They basically put their fingers in their ears before preorders came in.

You don't understand, man.
It's all about caring for the customers/gamers!

BigDug13

Gamers tell us they don't want things locked behind a paywall, and we've listened. But we just chose not to act because we like money.

jett

D-Member
Well that's certainly a whole lot of bullshit

"Other people will do and say what they're going to say. Fine. We're running our program. That's a strength of who we are."

What the fuck are you talking about Phil

I like how this "two way" conversation didnt happen until after you announced the thing.

All it showed you is that you don't understand what "gamers" want despite apparently making a machine targeted at them.

Sony didn't need this "two way" relationship you claim to have to do this. I would imagine they worked all that out before / during the design process. You know like most people making a product do.

creid

Man, I was hoping he'd come out with something like "Maybe some other platform holders would've done well to listen to feedback a few years back, there were at least 599 good reasons to do so..."

Listening to feedback means tweeking things to make them slightly better.

Changing your whole product statement in 3 months means you are panicking as hard as one can do so.

Feedback = Shitty pre-order numbers.

Pretty much.

People's opinions didn't matter much to MS until they started getting their ass kicked in both the media and sales. Kind of revolting hearing him patting himself on the back for how "receptive" the company is in light of that.

Kade

There really isn't much he can say without people jumping at his throat. He said the right/obvious thing and people are doing it anyways so...

Nobody gets a second chance in this industry I guess.

It took Sony 3 years to sort out the PS3s problems. In comparison MS have started right away, so I'm not sure why Sony even commented.

What problems did Sony have, other than their hardware being too expensive for the audience they wanted?

Microsoft's policies were fundamentally flawed from the very beginning, but they were just that - policies. Things that are easily changed before the product actually launches. Oh - and they still have that problem of their hardware being to expensive and that's not going away any time soon, apparently.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They didn't listen until after the dust of pre-orders settled though. They still aren't listening.

They were forced to change or be a complete laughing stock and feel like throwing money at everything can make us happy enough to forget their 'feedback receiving' period.

I am happy they are changing their policies to be better for us but it's hard to mistake their intentions and actions when it doesn't line up with anything they say.

The best part is the NeoGAF mention in his quote, which was very very against the DRM bullshit before they even revealed the console.

Twinduct

Turn it into a bad thing? No, they stated the obvious. That it's seen as a bad thing is every bit of your own fault.

amar212

Croatia says hi. For a decade now.

And actual wheel support for previous generation of utmost expensive and official wheels for your greatest TOP3 franchise would also come nice.

But yeah, listening is not same as hearing I guess.

theRizzle

Too bad you guys waited until 6 months before your console's release before you started that "two-way conversation". A lot of this mess could have been avoided.

Concept17

Sounds like standard salesmen talk.

All the 180's and their detachment from their customers just shows MS is out of touch. And not just in this industry.

Top Bottom