• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Project Scarlett ‘will not be out of position on power or price’ versus PS5

cireza

Banned
Do they have a bunch of smaller games I don't know about?
They have released a ton of small budget ports this gen, at least the smaller budget games from MS are new.

Do I need to make a list ?
Parappa the Rapper remastered
Gravity Rush port
ICO port
Shadow of the Colossus port
Jak and Daxter collection
Medievil port
Wipeout collection
Patapon
A ton of PS3 ports
Probably some other Vita game port

They just make a ton of filler stuff like this and many are far from being good ports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Vawn

Banned
The price isn't likely to be significantly different between the two consoles, but if the new Xbox console is less powerful than PS5 - even marginally - then I think it's dead in the water.

Nah. The power of a console is basically never the deciding factor. Now, if it's weaker AND has the lackluster library it had with Xbox One, then they should just give up.

FranXico

Who needs games when you have cross-play and backwards compatibility.
Since he mentioned cross-play as a thing, I'm wondering if they plan on weaponizing it further... with cross-play console exclusivity deals (third-parties would only provide CP between Xbox and PC).

DanielsM

Banned
Can he really say something else though?
Not really, its basically moot at this point.

They should have just started the Xbox branded gaming PCs (or license) for some time now, imo. Ditch having to maintain another code base.

Last edited:
"out of position" is very ambiguous and can mean alot of things, Phil is obviously watching what he says and using typical PR ambiguity. I'm taking this as confirmation ps5 will be more powerful but Xbox will be comparative in price and power. We all know when Microsoft thinks thy have the upper hand thy scream it to the heavens.

They used to do that, but not so much anymore. Honestly this seems like they're playing meek on purpose. There's no logical reason Scarlet is less powerful than PS5, they may just want Sony to give the impression of otherwise and then pull the rug out from under them closer to launch (where it'd be much harder for them to make quick changes to components like RAM or the SSD; the APUs themselves are pretty much set in stone by now).

Gamernyc78

Banned
They used to do that, but not so much anymore. Honestly this seems like they're playing meek on purpose. There's no logical reason Scarlet is less powerful than PS5, they may just want Sony to give the impression of otherwise and then pull the rug out from under them closer to launch (where it'd be much harder for them to make quick changes to components like RAM or the SSD; the APUs themselves are pretty much set in stone by now).

Sony has and is doing the same thing hence holding back information. It's all a waiting game but I'm not a believer tht Microsoft will be more powerful just bcus thy want to. They both deal with same supplier, they both want most powerful console relative to price and it'll depend on whose will to take a bigger cut on profits if any at all at launch which Sony has done in the past.

GymWolf

They are gonna be the same fucking console with small differencies...they have almost zero choice on what they can put on a closed case for 400\500 dollars...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony has and is doing the same thing hence holding back information. It's all a waiting game but I'm not a believer tht Microsoft will be more powerful just bcus thy want to. They both deal with same supplier, they both want most powerful console relative to price and it'll depend on whose will to take a bigger cut on profits if any at all at launch which Sony has done in the past.

I am sure they also get different pricing as well. Someone who sells over 100 million of your chips on top of over $1 billion in R&D for the PS5 APU, is more than likely going to get a better cost than someone who sells less than half of that.

I still think they will be very close, with possibly an SSD edge in Sony's design.

Last edited:
Why do people feel the need to drive-by with this?

Fanboi's gonna fanboy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want to see what Microsoft can bring. I just want a good variety of games from that like early 360 days.

I'd like to see Microsoft also take chances on new IPs (or porting established PC/PlayStation-centric IPs) early on and encourage larger third parties to do the same.

Dead Rising and porting Oblivion to console were two early examples of this, and they paid off handsomely for Microsoft and the 360 in the early days. And yes, I know Bethesda was following up on their port of Morrowind to the original XBox...but it was still a gamble on their part.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
This doesn't invoke much confidence. "It may not be quite as good as PS5, but it won't be THAT much worse."

Hopefully, this simply means they are changing their practice of over promising and under-delivering.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Prediction: both console will be extremely capable. Console A will be slight more powerful. Console B will be slightly faster.

End result : People who like Console A will buy Console A. People who like Console B will buy Console B.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They have released a ton of small budget ports this gen, at least the smaller budget games from MS are new.

Gravity Rush port
ICO port
Medievil port
Wipeout collection
Patapon
A ton of PS3 ports

They just make a ton of filler stuff like this and many are far from being good ports.
WHo considered those throwaways? Many of those were PS2 games that run on PS4.

The Gravity Rush port is considered outstanding....

I don't agree with this at all. Not saying all of those were masterpieces, but most were solid.

As for AAA games, Sony has been outstanding.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why is there no logical reason?
In order for MS to give Sony that impression, MS would have to know what the exact specs of the PS5. At this point MS likely only knows what the public knows about PS5. That information is pretty well protected and guarded especially from competitors. Unless you want to imply some sort of corporate espionage going on. I suppose MS could know what the specs of the PS5 are, but then it would be just as likely that Sony knows what Scarletts specs are.

Bottom line: Neither console is likely to reveal their specs until it's pretty much impossible to change them.

Last edited:

magnumpy

sounds good on ms part. of course we'll have to see what the reality actually turns out to be. I'm ready for an all out war for next gen! of course we've already seen early reports of disappointment from google with stadia, don't let this set the stage! D:

93xfan

Banned
This doesn't invoke much confidence. "It may not be quite as good as PS5, but it won't be THAT much worse."

Hopefully, this simply means they are changing their practice of over promising and under-delivering.

for either to claim they are more powerful before clock speeds are set would be foolish.

Pallas

What kind of games, though? Good quality AAA games or quick/short/generic games to pad out Gamepass?

Z4kl90m.gif

Reactions: Isa

cireza

Banned
I don't agree with this at all.
Well disagree it you want, this is still a list of smaller budget games and quick ports. And I did not list all the PS3 ports like Uncharted, God of War or Last of Us. Sony does not output only big budget triple AAA games, that's a fact.

bitbydeath

I will be perfectly happy if MS just allows Obsidian to make quality New Vegas titles and forces the other studios to pad out Gamepass.

Please, MS just don't fuck up Obsidian, for the first time, they are now under an umbrella and I am really hoping that MS allows them to spread their wings.

The Outer Worlds was an amazing game, let them build off of that.

I hope MS throws Obsidian tons of money for their next title. They are the best studio they own right now IMO.

I can’t wait to see what they do next with MS money behind them.

Has many? Aside from Days Gone and maybe Death Stranding (it's reviewing reasonably well, but not universally) what exclusives of theirs have been considered throwaway? Do they have a bunch of smaller games I don't know about?

source.gif

Days Gone is Sonys best new IP this gen.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I hope MS throws Obsidian tons of money for their next title. They are the best studio they own right now IMO.

I can’t wait to see what they do next with MS money behind them.

source.gif

Days Gone is Sonys best new IP this gen.

Both Death Stranding and Days Gone are incredibly well crafted titles, making a great PS ecosystem even greater :).

Last edited:
I'm certain it won't be. Like this gen, I'm sure from a hardware standpoint they'll be very similar.

It's going to be the PS5's much greater sales that will set the two apart! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Nope it's exactly what I meant. And initial rumors and subsequent ones have been on PS5 being stronger, not to me tion thts irrelevant even if most were in Xbox favor just the doubt is enough to cause a stir. This is a reaction to those rumors. We can favor brands but let's call a spade a spade.
No your fanboy optimism is ridiculous and I know your type well. the type tht trys to point everything in a positive light bcus u know it's ur favorite plastic smh. Jumping on every comment tht is neutral or doesn't paint Microsoft in a positive light.
As oppose to a fanboy like you who paints every positive MS thing as a negative? I buy games on XB1,PS4 and Switch. I call bs on blatant fanboy rhetoric.MS has invested heavily on several studios and hired many top talent devs. Its just a fact. Just like its a fact nobody knows which next gen console will be on top in power at this time. As a gamer who buys all the consoles, its good for the industry for the big 3 to be competitive. Means more great games for us.

Sounds good, on the face of things.

I'm still sticking to my early predictions that the Scarlett won't be as powerful as the PS5, because it doesn't need to be.

I can see Microsoft transitioning to more cloud,streaming and digital services, like they tried at the start of this gen, with those ideas being more consumer friendly this time around.

So far though, this gen as been the opposite of last gen (Start good end bad vs start bad end good) hopefully this means Microsoft is heading in the right direction.

Next year will be entertaining.
I disagree. IMO,its MS who can't afford to lose the power advantage and better multiplats given Sony and Nintendo still have the better 1st party. MS learned their lesson from XB1 and resolutiongate. Big part of Xbox 360's success was due to having majority of the best multiplats. Streaming,services,digital will be the inevitable future for all of the big 3.

splattered

All of these like threads will be a great place to revisit one year from now or even sooner (E3)... once the full specs are revealed if not the consoles themselves people all over gaf/reset are going to have absolute nuclear meltdowns if Microsoft actually does come out swinging hard and delivers a more powerful and interesting console offering and new stable of IP's/launch/future games for its players over Sony.

Don't get me wrong, i'm very much stoked for Ghosts of Tsushima and TLOU2 but they may be my last PS games for a while into the future depending on what Sony brings to the table with the PS5.

This gen I heavily invested in both MS and Sony the entire generation and am just now getting into Switch, but for the first time in a long time i'm not really feeling the desire to buy another Sony machine. The only previous console I've skipped since NES has been the Gamecube, so..

splattered

Sounds good, on the face of things.

I'm still sticking to my early predictions that the Scarlett won't be as powerful as the PS5, because it doesn't need to be.

I can see Microsoft transitioning to more cloud,streaming and digital services, like they tried at the start of this gen, with those ideas being more consumer friendly this time around.

So far though, this gen as been the opposite of last gen (Start good end bad vs start bad end good) hopefully this means Microsoft is heading in the right direction.

Next year will be entertaining.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MS do everything in its power to release the most powerful console this time around even eating into its profits to PROVE that it is serious about competing in the console/gaming business, yet also striving to be a major driving factor for "choice" (local/steaming) for gamers throughout the next generation finally leading to the end of next gen which may be a more stream-centric ecosystem for ALL of the big 3.

This very well may be the last new generation where we see really powerful consoles for local play depending on how bandwidth/infrastructure plays out in the next 5-10 years.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Gravity Rush port
ICO port
Medievil port
Wipeout collection
Patapon
A ton of PS3 ports

Shadow of the Colossus was a full-blown remake, as was Medievil. Several of the others were more than just simple ports too like the Wopeout collection.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MS do everything in its power to release the most powerful console this time around even eating into its profits to PROVE that it is serious about competing in the console/gaming business, yet also striving to be a major driving factor for "choice" (local/steaming) for gamers throughout the next generation finally leading to the end of next gen which may be a more stream-centric ecosystem for ALL of the big 3.

This very well may be the last new generation where we see really powerful consoles for local play depending on how bandwidth/infrastructure plays out in the next 5-10 years.
Doesn't matter how powerful streaming gets, you still can't stream Virtual Reality content without local hardware.

Amusing that the current game streaming craze is basically mutually exclusive with Virtual reality. Sony of course, has both services available. Gaming will always have powerful local hardware, unless you think VR would die.

splattered

VR hasn't taken off as well as it should have (unfortunately, I love it!) but it very well may die out at some point before the end of next generation.

There is no reason consoles can't have a weaker local gateway box for streaming and a separate dedicated VR box that plugs into that ecosystem within your home specifically for VR experiences.

VR hasn't taken off as well as it should have (unfortunately, I love it!) but it very well may die out at some point before the end of next generation.

There is no reason consoles can't have a weaker local gateway box for streaming and a separate dedicated VR box that plugs into that ecosystem within your home specifically for VR experiences.
On what grounds do you believe VR is dying out?
VR is actually offering an unique gaming option that people are willing to pay extra for. On the other hand, Game Streaming couldn't stand on its own economically and would likely only survive as an optional service in combination with normal game consoles, like with Xcloud.

There are people who are willing to redesign their living room for the privilege of better VR. I doubt anyone would do the same to improve game streaming.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I am sure they also get different pricing as well. Someone who sells over 100 million of your chips on top of over $1 billion in R&D for the PS5 APU, is more than likely going to get a better cost than someone who sells less than half of that.

I still think they will be very close, with possibly an SSD edge in Sony's design.

Yes very true. I think PS5 will be slightly more powerful and someone's SSD implementation will be better and also
As oppose to a fanboy like you who paints every positive MS thing as a negative? I buy games on XB1,PS4 and Switch. I call bs on blatant fanboy rhetoric.MS has invested heavily on several studios and hired many top talent devs. Its just a fact. Just like its a fact nobody knows which next gen console will be on top in power at this time. As a gamer who buys all the consoles, its good for the industry for the big 3 to be competitive. Means more great games for us.

Tht premise tht you buy games on Xbox, switch, ps4 so your argument is strong doesn't make ppl believe you. I have an Xbox x feel free to ask me for my gamer tag anytime 😊. This isn't about whether competition is good I'm just calling a spade a spade based on history not some blind believe based off fanboy faith.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well disagree it you want, this is still a list of smaller budget games and quick ports. And I did not list all the PS3 ports like Uncharted, God of War or Last of Us. Sony does not output only big budget triple AAA games, that's a fact.
But those were largely well reviewed and well done ports. I don't consider those to be throwaway since there was a lot of demand for them and for the most part people liked them. But whatever, you can call them throwaway.

Yes very true. I think PS5 will be slightly more powerful and someone's SSD implementation will be better and also

Tht premise tht you buy games on Xbox, switch, ps4 so your argument is strong doesn't make ppl believe you. I have an Xbox x feel free to ask me for my gamer tag anytime 😊. This isn't about whether competition is good I'm just calling a spade a spade based on history not some blind believe based off fanboy faith.

I disagree. IMO,its MS who can't afford to lose the power advantage and better multiplats given Sony and Nintendo still have the better 1st party. MS learned their lesson from XB1 and resolutiongate. Big part of Xbox 360's success was due to having majority of the best multiplats. Streaming,services,digital will be the inevitable future for all of the big 3.

You misunderstand. The Nextbox, doesn't need to be the most powerful, Microsoft have no reason to do so other than to have that title. Sony on the other hand need a monstrously powerful console because they need to push VR with PSVR2.

MS won't release the most powerful console, it won't be far behind, but Sony will edge it. Sony need the most powerful console, it is a must for them, Microsoft just need A powerful console.

Sony will focus on VR, single player exclusives and multi-player multiplats.

Microsoft will focus on streaming, online connectivity and cloud services.

We haven't seen really powerful consoles for 15 years.

Nobody know which console will end up more powerful. A fact. Your "thinking" is based on nothing more than blind faith. Indeed,a spade is a spade.

You misunderstand. The Nextbox, doesn't need to be the most powerful, Microsoft have no reason to do so other than to have that title. Sony on the other hand need a monstrously powerful console because they need to push VR with PSVR2.

MS won't release the most powerful console, it won't be far behind, but Sony will edge it. Sony need the most powerful console, it is a must for them, Microsoft just need A powerful console.

Sony will focus on VR, single player exclusives and multi-player multiplats.

Microsoft will focus on streaming, online connectivity and cloud services.

We haven't seen really powerful consoles for 15 years.
I didn't misunderstand. What u r saying is ludacris. Both MS/Sony are focusing on streaming. Heard of PS Now? MS having the better multiplats is far more impactful than a niche VR.Also,who said MS doesn't have plans for VR next gen?

And everything else u just said is not based on any facts,but wishful thinking.

Last edited:
On what grounds do you believe VR is dying out?
VR is actually offering an unique gaming option that people are willing to pay extra for. On the other hand, Game Streaming couldn't stand on its own economically and would likely only survive as an optional service in combination with normal game consoles, like with Xcloud.

There are people who are willing to redesign their living room for the privilege of better VR. I doubt anyone would do the same to improve game streaming.
VR is still niche and very few games sell much.

I didn't misunderstand. What u r saying is ludacris. Both MS/Sony are focusing on streaming. Heard of PS Now? MS have the better multiplats is far more impactful than a niche VR.

You're looking at this through the eyes of MS vs Sony and not through the eyes of an objective business approach.

I've heard of PSnow and you've heard of PSnow, but millions of people haven't and they have heard of Gamepass. For me, it seems that PSnow isn't a primary focus of Sony. We've all heard of Sony exclusives and of PSVR.

How do MS have the better multi-plats? For all intents and purposes, multi-plats are the same across the board in a like for like comparison (XB1 vs PS4, X vs Pro). Multi-plats more impactful than VR? You would have to define your interpretation of impactful.

Why would Sony need the most powerful console? It just needs to be reasonably powerful to run the games they are popular for.

For VR. They slapped together a vita, a PS3 camera, PS move and some straps they found in a garage and managed to create a cost-effective entrance to the VR market, held up by the clout of a major game company.

If they spend money, using a powerful console and concerted effort to make a high-end VR solution, they would see benefits and strong returns from that.

Top Bottom