• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Project Scarlett ‘will not be out of position on power or price’ versus PS5

Gamernyc78

Banned
You misunderstand. The Nextbox, doesn't need to be the most powerful, Microsoft have no reason to do so other than to have that title. Sony on the other hand need a monstrously powerful console because they need to push VR with PSVR2.

MS won't release the most powerful console, it won't be far behind, but Sony will edge it. Sony need the most powerful console, it is a must for them, Microsoft just need A powerful console.

Sony will focus on VR, single player exclusives and multi-player multiplats.

Microsoft will focus on streaming, online connectivity and cloud services.

We haven't seen really powerful consoles for 15 years.

I totally disagree and this is far from the truth. They had a great VR solution tht wasn't top of the line but offered something different tht no other console had offered and it was done on a weak console. They will be doing the same, both consoles will have beefier cpus and a better gpu so VR will work fine for psvr two either way. All we have to do is look back at history, ps3 came out a year and a half after 360, hundreds more, with gimped multiplats yet sold more than Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month upon its release. Microsoft needs all the edge it can get bcus even with their killer exclusives back then (which let's be frank have weakened) , lower price by hundreds, Sony's mind share was too strong, mind you tht ground Xbox gained during 360 basically was wiped out with the garbage Xbox one.
Both will be focusing on online, cloud, etc.

Sony has been pushing the cloud before xcloud was even a thing. They innovated with remote play, share play before Microsoft tagged along. Sony will continue to push those aspects as well and innovate so tht isn't an advantage in Microsoft end like partial ppl make it seem.

Will ps5 be more powerful, I absolutely think so but not by much. Does psvr play a part in tht? absolutely but is it mandatory? no.

Last edited:

magnumpy

For VR. They slapped together a vita, a PS3 camera, PS move and some straps they found in a garage and managed to create a cost-effective entrance to the VR market, held up by the clout of a major game company.

If they spend money, using a powerful console and concerted effort to make a high-end VR solution, they would see benefits and strong returns from that.

with all its faults, PSVR is still the most popular VR platform. for PSVR2 they would be competing primarily against themselves. and apple, with their "supposed" VR/AR glasses coming "supposedly" ~2022. that should be a good battle, apple vs. sony :)

I totally disagree and this is far from the truth. They had a great VR solution tht wasn't top of the line but offered something different tht no other console had on a weak console. They will be doing the same both consoles will have beefier cpus and a better gpu so VR will work fine for psvr two either way. All we have to do is look back at history, ps3 came out a year and a half after 360, hundreds more, with gimped multiplats yet sold more than Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month upon its release. Microsoft needs all the edge it can get bcus even with their killer exclusives back then, lower price by hundreds, Sony's mind share was too strong, mind you tht ground Xbox gained during 360 basically was wiped out with the garbage Xbox one.
Both will be focusing on on online, cloud, etc.

Sony been pushing the cloud before xcloud was even a thing. They innovated with remote play, share play begore Microsoft tagged along. Sony will continue to push those aspects as well and innovate so tht isn't an advantage in Microsoft end like partial ppl make it seem.

Will ps5 be more powerful, I absolutely think so but not by much. Does psvr play a part in tht absolutely but is it mandatory, no..

Microsoft made a good impression in Europe and they lost all of that steam around 2010 when they pushed the Kinect kiddy route. Their early IP's in to gaming with the OG xbox and early years of the 360, were serious, atmospheric, moody and largely, though not exclusively, focused on 'adult' gaming and genres. Even fable 1, while cartoony, whimsical and fun, was relatively darker than the sequels.

Sony will continue to push it, Microsoft make more money (I assume) by getting companies on their servers, using their xcloud and their streaming services. Microsoft just announced that Xcloud will work with a DS4! That is huge in terms of approaching a company to request collaboration. They are more focused and series about streaming, compared to Sony. Sony still care, but Microsoft seem to have made it a main focus on theirs.

Agreed, PSVR won't be mandatory and the PS5 will be more powerful, even slightly, than the Xbox Scarlett.

with all its faults, PSVR is still the most popular VR platform. for PSVR2 they would be competing primarily against themselves. and apple, with their "supposed" VR/AR glasses coming "supposedly" ~2022. that should be a good battle, apple vs. sony :)

It might sound like i'm slagging PSVR off and i'm not. They A-team'd the fuck out of the PSVR, with a shoe string budget, using bits they found laying around the Sony headquaters.

Not only did they manage to create a vr headset against all odds, it's actually a very good platform. I'm in awe at how they managed to do it and moreso, why they attempted it, when they were on dire straights coming in to the generation.

Hats off to them.

Why is there no logical reason?
In order for MS to give Sony that impression, MS would have to know what the exact specs of the PS5. At this point MS likely only knows what the public knows about PS5. That information is pretty well protected and guarded especially from competitors. Unless you want to imply some sort of corporate espionage going on. I suppose MS could know what the specs of the PS5 are, but then it would be just as likely that Sony knows what Scarletts specs are.

Bottom line: Neither console is likely to reveal their specs until it's pretty much impossible to change them.

These companies probably know a bit more about each other's specs than we do. I mean, companies definitely had ways of obtaining access to competitor prototype and pre-final hardware back in the past, like when Sony got their hands on a Saturn development kit thanks to taking advantage of their position as a publisher for the Sega CD platform.

I don't think those type of tactics necessarily died off at all; we just don't see these companies getting as openly/publicly competitive with their words anymore (which means anything to the nature of sneaky hardware/spec access by people between the companies doesn't get to the press or forum rumor mills).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If there ends up being a difference between consoles it will likely only be in terms of RAM. I’d hope for at least 24GB and cheaper RAM that could be used for OS and background.

Journey

Banned
Maybe because this is a games forum where games matter most......

Yes, games matter most, but you're confused, you don't get to drive by and shit post on a hardware spec/pricing topic trying to imply that the console won't have any good games to play when they have plenty without even including all of the 3rd party support. It's not different from when the PS3 launched and all the drive by's about where are the games, PS3 has no games, it gets annoying and I'm sure you agreed back then.

Top Bottom