• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Says PS5's DualSense Could Inspire Xbox Controller Changes

jHbU8Nt.png

"Xbox boss Phil Spencer is a fan of Sony's DualSense controller for the PS5, and in a recent interview he hinted that the company may be inspired to make a more feature-rich peripheral for the Xbox Series X|S.

"We're definitely thinking about different kinds of devices that can bring more games to more places," Spencer said on the Kinda Funny Gamescast as reported by VGC. "There's probably some work that we’ll do on the controller. I think Sony's done a nice job with their controller and we kind of look at some of that and think there are things that we should go do."

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Wouldn't mind the rumble it was really nice and gentle on astro, not seen it implemented as well on other games though.

And I really hope they avoid the force feedback triggers I thought they were awful as they made my hands ache.

Alan Wake

Too late for this gen, though. If new functions should be implemented in most games, most Xbox owners must have that controller from the start. Otherwise, why bother?

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Wouldn't mind the rumble it was really nice and gentle on astro, not seen it implemented as well on other games though.

And I really hope they avoid the force feedback triggers I thought they were awful as they made my hands ache.

When you say force feedback triggers are you talking about the haptic triggers on PS5? Or the rumble motors in the XBOX One controller? I've been wondering if the haptic triggers on PS5 increase/quicken hand fatigue.

My fingers get sore after about 2hrs of playing on PS4 or XBOX. That's the joy of getting older and years of messing up my hands playing sports :messenger_grinning_squinting:

SJRB

Gold Member
4ef5a1e12b787c0ff4f1dfd9174b69f4.gif

Does this fucking guy go on interviews like every single day? How the fuck are there so many interviews with Phil Spencer?

Of course they're gonna """get inspired""" from their competitors, Microsoft making adaptive triggers was a no-brainer the moment Sony revealed them.

Last edited:
As someone who really loved the adaptive triggers when I first got my PS5 with Astro’s Playroom, the spell was kinda broken for me with Rift Apart. I think it’s really neat when it’s in short bursts but when it’s constant at every moment it kinda got old. Not to the point of being distracting but the novelty just wasn’t as exciting as I was hoping.

That said, feeling the reverberation from slamming a two handed weapon into the ground in Demon‘s Souls will always be cool.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Do it.

Controller will be amazing while playing Gran Turismo 7. Going over the curb/rumble strips on the edges of tracks, changes is terrain, brake and pedal pressure (Wreckfest does this well) or maybe even acting as a clutch.

Excited Daniel Cormier GIF by UFC

Having that type of controller for more games would be great.

Last edited:
It's something I really hope happens. After switching to the Xbox this gen.... I do prefer the xbox shape but I'm sure jealous of the new features the ps5 controller has.

It was obvious.
Best things are always copied and the DualSense is the best controller out there atm.
Haptics+sound of different materials coming out of the controller makes a lot of difference for immersion.
This is something I see said often, but for me it's the total opposite. Different strokes I guess.

anthony2690

Banned
When you say force feedback triggers are you talking about the haptic triggers on PS5? Or the rumble motors in the XBOX One controller? I've been wondering if the haptic triggers on PS5 increase/quicken hand fatigue.

My fingers get sore after about 2hrs of playing on PS4 or XBOX. That's the joy of getting older and years of messing up my hands playing sports :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Are they not called force feedback? It has tension when you swing on Spiderman or when you're in the zip up suit on astro :)

Apologises if I got the name wrong..

Last edited:

retsof624

The only thing about my PS5 that I don’t like is the controller. The triggers and haptics are dope as hell but ergonomically I hate it. Ive been gaming since the 90s and this is the first controller that hurts my hands and wrists. I hope we get some good third party options soon because this wrist pain shit is wack

GHG

Gold Member
No thanks.

It just raises the price for features that 99% of games don't even bother using in a significant way.

Then stick to your crusty old featureless Xbox One game pad. I'm sure they'll give you the option.

If they added PC support and added it to the controller API so that developers could easily implement the features I'd buy one instantly.

Last edited:
The only meaningful new feature in console controllers in pretty much forever are paddles/back buttons, yet somehow (too cheap to pay for Scuf patents?) those haven't made it into the standard controller.

Hey Phil, what these fucking things really need is better sticks that accurately report center out of the box, and hold calibration over time (it *might* be time to consider that mashing the thumbstick into your controller to act as an extra button wasn't actually a good design worth copying to begin with). And they should be designed to be user-serviceable with easily available OEM parts rather than the shitty knockoffs you find on Amazon or Ebay that are somehow even worse than what Microsoft gives you in the first place.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm all for it. All I ask is that they manage to maintain close to current battery life and keep the option for me to continue to use AA batteries. I'm still using the Eneloops I bought when the XB1 released.

JLB

Banned
I dont like these types of things to be honest. Since N64 introduced the rumble pack, I always had the same sentiment: They are just a battery killer.

JoeBudden

I hope they do introduce their own Dual Sense controller. That shit really adds a lot to immersion. Plus its easy for them to make a better product after seeing what Sony has done right and wrong with the Dual Sense (right = better user feedback and immresion, wrong = battery life).

JoeBudden

Make back buttons and gyro default before gimmicks, Phil.

Sony said they were looking into back buttons but figured it would complicate user input too much for casuals.

I really thought the Dual Sense was going to have back buttons after the attachment for the DS4. You absolutely need that shit in Apex Legends and Rocket League. I really hope we get some good Pro controllers this gen.

R6Rider

Gold Member
This man speaks the truth. I'm still using DS4 with the Back Button attachment.
I use mine when I play most PS4 games on my PS5 as well. Such as Dark Souls 3 right now. Having roll on the back button is so much better. They also work great for shifting in racing games and crouching in shooters.

Hope it's well implemented if it happens. I heard the results are very mixed with the Dualsense.
You hope xbox implements it better than the mixed implementation you heard of playstation. ok Horizon fan.

Anyways. There zero percent chance Xbox doesnt copy both of these features.

Told you a year ago that the DualSense was going to be the G.O.A.T standard controller. And I was right :messenger_sunglasses:

In regards to Phil's statement, I immediately thought of this....

Yeah...Xbox 360 was really an unoriginal and horrible system and totally copied the ps3.

/sarcasm

St0pThatGuy

Neo Member

Same here, Carpal tunnel says hello

Top Bottom